Shattered Masts . sheath or no sheath?

VHawk

I use iframe but its nice to have FM sheath since all i have to do is hit F key once to get out of it if i want to keep dpsing.

Only time I have issue with sheathis when I'm on my KFM trying to use searing palm(not at Shattered Masts last boos jumping around cus its just bad time to us it anyways). But then again... with all the moving around and people lunching mobs in the air, its never easy to use searing palm.

As a Destroyer, getting Sheathed during that part is, at the absolute worst, just a minor waste of 1 or 2 seconds I could instead spend using Hurricane to resist the jumps and fit in as many anicancels as I can before I have to Hurricane again. Really, it's just a minor inconvenience to how I play my class from a REALLY nitpicky DPS minmaxing standpoint to the benefit of everyone else not dying, which is more important than a potential minor DPS loss in my end since deaths are always MUCH bigger DPS losses (unless the one dying is an exceptionally bad player making things harder for the rest), so I can live with it.

That's in 6-man in my experience anyway. Haven't done it 4-man yet, but I don't think it'd be any different there.

Personally i dont mind the sheath, but it freezes my cat too which is a bit annoying.

Then again, i can hold the boss in the middle with my cat so he doesnt always do the jumps (but only if i have 3/1 ranged vs melee ratio).

What gets annoying is when you have a bm and fm in party and they both use sheath and hm block....waste lol

Thank you all. I guess I'll keep using it until people become experience enough to not needing it :) kinda like how I never use sheath with Yetti any more except to save at the end. 

The question should be: First or last 2 jumps because you can only save all from 2 of 3 jumps. HM block is the best you can have here, no doubt, but if there is no bm or he doesn't have/use the skill, I will usually freeze the last 2 hits. Most people unfreeze after the first hit but that's their problem then. ;D After all, I prefer taking no damage than a little more dps for a short time.

Well, its not just a matter of whether other chars will need it or not. It's also mainly used for the FM's own protection because if an FM decides to iframe the jumps he/she will land quite a distance away from the circle and will have to waste another iframe just to get back. That's gonna be 2 iframes just for 1 jump and he jumps 3 times. If the FM decides to face away and iframe, the FM will only be able to successfully iframe twice and risk building up stacks. Even un-specced SS I feel will make you travel more than you should and risk landing in the sludge. Also you have to be good in determining where the boss's center will land otherwise you risk yourself being in the former case where you will have to iframe back. Ice tab has a long 1min CD so it cannot be completely relied on during these phases.

Everyone should be able to iframe for themselves, I only hear summoner have some difficulties with 3 jumps. Other than that, I think people should iframe the jumps on their own without being too dependent on one person.

i was in full 600+ AP 6man group that couldn't even find safe spot till the 3rd jump.

after 2 wipes, without even talking about it, everyone just ignored all mechanics and DPS till boss died.

So,I guess... do what ever works for your group...

I don't get it what is there to complain if FM use frost sheath, just wait for 2 jump, release then iframe the last one, doesn't matter if it's the first 2 jump or the last 2 jump, if you know the fight you can avoid them regardless. Only reason if someone can screw up is because they do not know the fight. And if you don't like the frost sheath, just use your own iframe, frost sheath won't activate for you if you do not get hit, if it gets activated well you screw up and got hit.

And can't find safe spot, WTF, it's so easy to know where the safe spot is and the boss gives you plenty of time to get there, hell I don't even go there immediately after he throw, I usually do a bit more DPS, then just SS to the safe spot.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:13 PM, Grimoir said:

Personally i dont mind the sheath, but it freezes my cat too which is a bit annoying.

Then again, i can hold the boss in the middle with my cat so he doesnt always do the jumps (but only if i have 3/1 ranged vs melee ratio).

What gets annoying is when you have a bm and fm in party and they both use sheath and hm block....waste lol

Boss can be taunted in normal jumps, but not in triple jump. In any case, it's always better to Q your cat when the boss jump, as it will make FM's shealth not applied on the cat and also prevent it from being knocked down by the jumps.

In any case, it's fine and dandy to have a FM or a BM (or a WL with their healing and anti-knockdown C) that protects the party, but it's would be better if you save yourself first for insurance, in case of mistakes that can to your wipe. Similar to Yeti where everyone is too dependent on FM sheath, then he get mistakes at crucial moments. Every class can easily avoid the triple jumps with no or a little damage, unless you just get rezed, then you will need to avoid all damage at all costs until you get the HP buff again.

9 hours ago, Ganhur said:

Everyone should be able to iframe for themselves, I only hear summoner have some difficulties with 3 jumps. Other than that, I think people should iframe the jumps on their own without being too dependent on one person.

Summoner has no issues with 3 jumps at all. There are several ways you can iframe them as a summoner:

True friend for 2 jumps + Beckon for the third

True friend for 2 jumps + Party Seed Shroud for the third (this also saves the party)

Backstep for 1st jump (when heading to the safe spot) + True friend for the remaining 2.

The first rotation tho is the better one to recommend, since i always save the party seed shroud for the cleansing aoe he does in the middle or for a "oh crap" moment if it ever comes.

I would really mind the sheath that much, but what i learned is that you cannot rely on a FM to do it. I had several moments where i was like "ok fm will prolly sheath " and then i am standing there like ._. So better just tell ur party that u will use it so they wont blow their iframes if not needed.

Depend if u have a bm with hm block, u can freeze the single jumps and mid aoe and lets him block the triple, and below 40% u alternate because his cd probably wont be up for all triple.

If u dont just do it always, for 1-2 or 2-3 as u want just always do same so ppl can adjust andl iframe the other, as been said, better loose 2 sec of dps than risk a death.

Or if u have bd+summ and u see they hm block+group immune for triple just do like for bm

• 2 weeks later...

Talking from FM view point, I have been doing Masts 4 man since the first day. If I run with PUG I would let them know before battling Taikhan like this, "On thorn mode, please iframe 1st jump, I'll sheath for 2nd and 3rd jumps" So far everything went well.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:46 PM, Tsuchiryu said:

As a Destroyer, getting Sheathed during that part is, at the absolute worst, just a minor waste of 1 or 2 seconds I could instead spend using Hurricane to resist the jumps and fit in as many anicancels as I can before I have to Hurricane again. Really, it's just a minor inconvenience to how I play my class from a REALLY nitpicky DPS minmaxing standpoint to the benefit of everyone else not dying, which is more important than a potential minor DPS loss in my end since deaths are always MUCH bigger DPS losses (unless the one dying is an exceptionally bad player making things harder for the rest), so I can live with it.

That's in 6-man in my experience anyway. Haven't done it 4-man yet, but I don't think it'd be any different there.

In 4-man, the jumps last .5-1 seconds, so you only have enough time to iframe. It's not like 6-man where you get a visual and an eternity to absorb the damage.

Archived