Winner Outfit uses stolen art from Fire Emblem, Rage of Bahamut and Touhouvania

Marqin

13 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

No, it wasn't a kick in the face TO YOU. Some people see it as a kick to the face because some of them spent MANY hours coming up with a decent costume and put so much work into it only to be met with the realization that they lost to someone who wasn't even responsible for parts of their costume. YOU may not see it as a kick to the face, but for some of the people that actually entered the contest, it definitely is.

Putting so much work into a costume, does not make it good.

By your logic, they would have found it a kick in the face, if a great work of art came in, took the artist all of 30mins to make.  More so, if one piece of it may have looked like something else, which the artist may have easily thought, that was so great an outfit piece, Id like to add it.

As for the Jun outfit, I've seen something close to that in so many things.

Though, like I said, never would have voted for a Alice in Wonderland theme (Koreans did it already anyways) and really, I don't think I would have voted for anything that I didn't feel felt in place with BnS (which btw most of those didnt)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DirectorTseng said:

This game steals shit from pop culture all the time, I can not count how many Final Fantasy 7 references I have seen. You have Cloud's hair style for the Jin male.. The fight with Jinsoyun where you are utterly screwed up and have to try and kill yourself is almost a direct rip off of Advent children's omislash. At the final fight she literally becomes a one winged Angel...

Lets not even get into the quest names... "Emperor strikes back." The whole wizard of oz quest line... "Let him go.." (for the banshee area.. I just groaned at that one)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the rather blatant Sephiroth and Cloud references when it comes to Jinseoyun. Not to mention the fact that she has cat eyes like him. Granted, I like her because she reminds me of him and I'm a fan of FF7, but yeah. NCSoft's games are rather notorious from yanking concepts from other popular titles (They have an entire one-winged-angel race in their game Aion, where they also use the Cloud hair in the character creator)

5 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Putting so much work into a costume, does not make it good.

By your logic, they would have found it a kick in the face, if a great work of art came in, took the artist all of 30mins to make.  More so, if one piece of it may have looked like something else, which the artist may have easily thought, that was so great an outfit piece, Id like to add it.

As for the Jun outfit, I've seen something close to that in so many things.

Though, like I said, never would have voted for a Alice in Wonderland theme (Koreans did it already anyways) and really, I don't think I would have voted for anything that I didn't feel felt in place with BnS (which btw most of those didnt)

Excuse me, but can you tell me where I said anything about a good costume? I didn't even say good in any of my sentences. Don't put words into my mouth. Nobody cares what you deem good or not, that's not the issue.

I don't think you actually have a good grasp of the problem here. THE PROBLEM is that the winner BLATANTLY traced parts of their costume (and if you look at the evidence presented, you can CLEARLY SEE that some parts were obviously traced) and was not disqualified, even though plagiarizing is supposedly against the rules of the contest.

You keep saying that it isn't a spit in the face, which you wouldn't know because you aren't in the shoes of the other people who entered the contest. As I said, it's not a spit in the face TO YOU, but YOU are not other people. YOU cannot dictate whether something is a spit in the face for others or not.

22 minutes ago, 854450_1452550237 said:

Debate would have happened even if she did win  without the whole tracing or didn't win. Look at the 1st art contest winners... People were up in flames for those costumes and some? not so much. The reason why this one is getting a lot of negative views is because, One hairstyle, (the gon's)  a headdress,  (gon again) a mask  (lyn) and the outfit design for female Jin and possibly  the yun's outfit  have been traced/heavily inspired by other game/anime franchises. 

maybe it was because no one give a damn about costumes on the game they could not be played yet? even in japan there are many manga authors with almost same drawing style, just count how many authors with almost same drawing style as Eiichiro Oda. Why does no one gives a damn about them? because they don't have anything to do with us right? and even Oda's masterpiece "One Piece" also took many things as reference. and it's one of the best successful manga out there

Just because the winner is a "no one" you can't keep bashing him like that, everyone makes mistakes. and it's up to ncsoft if they gonna DQ'ed him or not

11 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

Excuse me, but can you tell me where I said anything about a good costume? I didn't even say good in any of my sentences. Don't put words into my mouth. Nobody cares what you deem good or not, that's not the issue.

I don't think you actually have a good grasp of the problem here. THE PROBLEM is that the winner BLATANTLY traced parts of their costume (and if you look at the evidence presented, you can CLEARLY SEE that some parts were obviously traced) and was not disqualified, even though plagiarizing is supposedly against the rules of the contest.

You keep saying that it isn't a spit in the face, which you wouldn't know because you aren't in the shoes of the other people who entered the contest. As I said, it's not a spit in the face TO YOU, but YOU are not other people. YOU cannot dictate whether something is a spit in the face for others or not.

I saw a few small parts that seemed to have taken inspiration.  The mask, looks like many masks I've seen in many things.  The dress.  The same.

And you're right, I can't dictate whether something is a spit int he face for others or not.  I can tell however tell when they're overly sensitive, possibly sore losers, and overly sensitive about a costume winning a contest.

You are not the original artist.  You have no proof of anything other than speculation and possibilities.

12 minutes ago, Brand X said:

I saw a few small parts that seemed to have taken inspiration.  The mask, looks like many masks I've seen in many things.  The dress.  The same.

And you're right, I can't dictate whether something is a spit int he face for others or not.  I can tell however tell when they're overly sensitive, possibly sore losers, and overly sensitive about a costume winning a contest.

You are not the original artist.  You have no proof of anything other than speculation and possibilities.

So, I guess you've just ignored all of the examples of blatant plagiarism shown in this very thread? The side by side comparisons? The way one person laid one part of the costume over the original and it literally matched perfectly? I guess that's not proof? What's the point of commenting on a thread if you're going to ignore everything that was presented earlier?

Don't make me laugh. "Sore losers"? Yeah, I'd be sore too if I entered a costume contest and lost to someone who just traced parts of their costume. You clearly have never experienced plagiarism on a personal level before, and you clearly didn't enter this contest. But that's okay. Keep defending this obvious example of plagiarism. Just don't complain when someone steals your work and then turns around and wins a contest with it. That would make you one hell of a hypocrite.

16 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

So, I guess you've just ignored all of the examples of blatant plagiarism shown in this very thread? The side by side comparisons? The way one person laid one part of the costume over the original and it literally matched perfectly? I guess that's not proof? What's the point of commenting on a thread if you're going to ignore everything that was presented earlier?

Don't make me laugh. "Sore losers"? Yeah, I'd be sore too if I entered a costume contest and lost to someone who just traced parts of their costume. You clearly have never experienced plagiarism on a personal level before, and you clearly didn't enter this contest. But that's okay. Keep defending this obvious example of plagiarism. Just don't complain when someone steals your work and then turns around and wins a contest with it. That would make you one hell of a hypocrite.

I saw what looked to be influences.  They looked to be altered from original pics.  As for the poses.  Pffft.  Who cares if they traced a pose?  It was stated int he rules, it was okay to trace the pose.  They even gave a template.

3 minutes ago, Brand X said:

I saw what looked to be influences.  They looked to be altered from original pics.  As for the poses.  Pffft.  Who cares if they traced a pose?  It was stated int he rules, it was okay to trace the pose.  They even gave a template.

Would you again like to tell me where I said ANYTHING about poses? Including my other posts in this thread? I've only talked about the mask and the hairstyle, because those are the two that are most obviously traced. Nobody really cares about the poses, and I personally don't think the jin female costume is a complete copy of the original example given.

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but inspiration is NOT copying something and then making a few changes so it looks a little different. Someone already gave a GREAT example of how something can be inspired but not look like a complete copy. Besides a few minor details, the mask looks EXACTLY like the original, and the only thing changed about the hairstyle is the color. You can't take a story that you didn't write, change a few words every now and then, and try to pass it off as your own. That is called PLAGIARISM. Even if a few things have been altered, those accessories still HEAVILY resemble the original, and THAT is the problem. Besides that, I doubt that they referenced the originals, because they gave NO indication of doing so.

1 hour ago, QRob said:

all this shit wouldn't have happened if NCSOFT had shared the designs and given a voting to the community and to discuss the contestant designs. so the community could've told ncsoft which designs are stolen so that ncsoft would have been able to disqualify them.

If NCSoft had given the voting to the community then it would've made a lot more sense. To exclude the voting amongst the community is one of the worst decisions that they could have possibly made, especially considering the fact that the community  are going to be the ones potentially buying the costumes from the cash shop.

Very lazy and bad business move.

5 minutes ago, Nattia said:

I'm against community voting, it is usually very abused, people creating multiple accounts to vote for their friend 

Maybe a compromise would have been good. Let it be like this and add one more outfit that is player's choice? :o

can someone post another winner, so people can take a few days/years to look it over and find proff that it was also "stolen" from something

Thx in advance <3

grats on winner/runner ups, not matter what happens lol

p.s I cant draw a stick figure /giggle

I REALLY don't care if it was "traced" or "stolen" from anything. The outfits look great and that's personally all that matters to me. I'd really want the Wonderland outfit in game - I liked it more than any of the runner-up outfits myself - though all of this is just opinion. I know it wouldn't be right if it was stolen, but the outfits do look really good e.e

As a side note, even though the outfit designs have parts very similar to other sources, inspiration from the source isn't plagiarism. I see the Female Gon hair is almost identical, but really, it's a hairstyle.

copy from another artist's design making little change is still count as plagiarism, especially when most people can recognize the similarities..

Plagiarism is plagiarism, doesn't matter whether the costume look pretty or not. 

They could at least say something about this all... not just ignore a fcking entire comunity.  Just admit staff dont gave a single little damn about this contest, choose other winner, and end this all.  Geez...

15 hours ago, AmiChan said:

Not true. 

The wonderland idea is over used imo, there are better costumes out there, besides, lets remind everyone that they let someone WIN with a picture stolen from deviantart : http://ziyoling.deviantart.com/art/Bns-costumes-design-562755321 and just AFTER the livestream they took it off.

I hav seen this on deviantart like at least months and months ago. When I saw it, I thought, oh this artist finally submitted their work. But according to yall this was literally plagiarized. 

Jeezus christ. Wonder if the artist has been notified?

1 hour ago, Inundated said:

I REALLY don't care if it was "traced" or "stolen" from anything. The outfits look great and that's personally all that matters to me. I'd really want the Wonderland outfit in game - I liked it more than any of the runner-up outfits myself - though all of this is just opinion. I know it wouldn't be right if it was stolen, but the outfits do look really good e.e

As a side note, even though the outfit designs have parts very similar to other sources, inspiration from the source isn't plagiarism. I see the Female Gon hair is almost identical, but really, it's a hairstyle.

What? Lol. The point of the contest is creation. Not pirating. Everyone wants cute outfits. But not stolen designs. 

3 hours ago, Inugami said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the rather blatant Sephiroth and Cloud references when it comes to Jinseoyun. Not to mention the fact that she has cat eyes like him. Granted, I like her because she reminds me of him and I'm a fan of FF7, but yeah. NCSoft's games are rather notorious from yanking concepts from other popular titles (They have an entire one-winged-angel race in their game Aion, where they also use the Cloud hair in the character creator)

I thot the quest names were a joke in themselves being puns or references to token media phenomenon?

16 hours ago, Marqin said:

Go look at lyn's mask in winning outfit.

And now Google for "Marth Fire Emblem mask".

1072174_206039566186638_671392453_o-600x

contest rules:

"Further, any Costume Design that  contains trademarks, copyright - protected or other proprietary materials for which the Entrant  has not obtained appropriate assignment of rights will be void. "

EDIT

Commenters also found parts stolen from:

Rage of Bahamut - heavly "inspired" clothing for Jin

Touhouvania - traced hairstyle and hairband

You're wrong. The Masks, while similar, are completely different in look and scope. The copyright infringement requires 13 points of similarity to violate copyright. The winner's mask does not. Even the shape of this mask is shaped differently while having a similar appearance. This is not a copyright violation. You should learn the copyright laws and the details used of that law used to determine copyright violation.

14 minutes ago, RyuueLaview said:

I thot the quest names were a joke in themselves being puns or references to token media phenomenon?

They are, I don't consider the quest names concept theft at all TBH. They're just gags. In all honesty I don't even mind that NCsoft uses things from various Final Fantasy games, either. Seems like one of the producers is a fan (that or it's meant as a luer for fans like me to play their games XD ) They just do it a lot, and I've always found it a bit strange.

4 hours ago, Inugami said:

Aion? I know Aion has the Cloud hair.. I made a Cloud asmodian XD. Lineage 2 is the one with the one winged.. The Kamael, those ones though are about as far from Final Fantasy 7 as you can get.

1 hour ago, RyuueLaview said:

What? Lol. The point of the contest is creation. Not pirating. Everyone wants cute outfits. But not stolen designs. 

If pirating the TERA Female Castanic Pirate outfit will get that for my Yun, I wouldn't mind stolen designs :p

Archived