Winner Outfit uses stolen art from Fire Emblem, Rage of Bahamut and Touhouvania

Marqin

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Erza Scarlet said:

OP must be salty by not winning so what they do? Name and shame, how ironic.

It's already been clearly shown that the winner of the costume contest blatantly copied parts of already existing costumes to use for their own, which is against the rules of the contest. OP would only really be considered "salty" if the winner won fair and square, which is not the case here.

I'm sure you'd be upset as well if you worked hard to design a costume only to find out that you didn't win, and the actual winner plagiarized most of their designs.

1 hour ago, Erza Scarlet said:

OP must be salty by not winning so what they do? Name and shame, how ironic.

I've not even took part in this contest. I'm not an artist, I'm programmer :-)

I'm just pointing out that this "winning costume" broke rules (terms) of contest.

Not part of the costume but does support evidence of tracing:

Female gon pose traced directly from the classic hatsune miku pose. You can just google it and see very clearly.

(Not confirmed but I played around with overlaying the image) Female lyn pose extremely similar to tera elin reaper stance, arms are slightly more raised and legs are shorter though.

11 minutes ago, unkoneo said:

Not part of the costume but does support evidence of tracing:

Female gon pose traced directly from the classic hatsune miku pose. You can just google it and see very clearly.

(Not confirmed but I played around with overlaying the image) Female lyn pose extremely similar to tera elin reaper stance, arms are slightly more raised and legs are shorter though.

Actually, to be more exact. That pose is from Kim HyungTae's Gon artwork

2hoz5h0.jpg

1 hour ago, Ishtar said:

I smell Kun lover from this contest winner. Obviously the Kun version is way to sexy for Kun, it should belong to Gon, don't you think so?

I demand a swap//=Kappa!!

i smell a gon player/lover in this post :D

and as a Yun lover, i find the winning outfit ugly and overused (i skip the oblivious part about the robbery the "owner" did)

I think the problem lies with the shadiness of the results and how NC went about deciding the winners. Clearly, they took no time or effort to actually review anything submitted, not even in fear of copyright infringement, which to me, as a large company, is alarming. They chose costume that essentially already exist that THEY created. Explain to me HOW those costume were better than any other entry that was unique/new/unseen?

Nothing in the rules, says they can't copy poses.  In fact, they say you can use the body figure they give in the rules if you want.  So someone using body types/poses from somewhere else is not breaking a rule.

The mask, seen that type of mask many times.  The outfit may be inspired by others, but they look to have been altered.  Not to mention, it's Alice in Wonderland themed, so you could have found similar outfits at a costume shop :p

Personally, I would have hoped they wouldn't have gone for an Alice in Wonderland theme outfit and something more original, but they didn't.  Also, give the winner a break, maybe the winner isn't the best artist in the world, which is good imo, because I hate to see contests where they say "We judge by design intent, not quality of work" and you can tell they make quality a factor.  :p

12 minutes ago, ceronia said:

Actually, to be more exact. That pose is from Kim HyungTae's Gon artwork

2hoz5h0.jpg

Ummm ya you know a pose isn't in any way stealing right, you do like realize that?

He could have drew something completely different for a pose and you sad people would have pulled it apart, literally could have found a similar pose on the internet and said "OMG STOLEN POSE" which luckily poses can't really be stolen. The mask looks very similar yes maybe he drew his inspiration for the mask directly from it.....SO?

It's not wrong to draw strong inspiration from something. You people are ridiculous. Now if he had copy pasted entire designs clearly created by someone else that would be a douche move but that's not the case. Get over it.

Are you all seriously this ignorant??? WHATEVER POSE THEY USED IS NOT RELEVANT.  They could trace whatever model they want, who cares. It's about the costumes themselves. They said they wanted new themes, do you see new themes? I see themes I've seen several hundred times in other game. Do you see new outfits? Slightly, but not really to be honest. Nothing super unique. Nothing I would pay for (that's my personal preference).

That being said, people straight TRACED costume aspects. People straight COPIED completed outfits almost. How is that original? I mean come on now......

I guess for most people it's an "ssdd" ordeal. Nobody really cares that some people put hours into their entries to get their faces spit in. People who made the game, put names in, designed stuff, whatever, got paid. Nc is gonna get paid off the designs we submit and yet they are so quick to just step all over their player base, give them rules to follow, the rules are followed by the player but not them. No news there though.  It all just doesn't make any sense to me.  A game that supports art theft essentially, is not gonna get any more business from me and before you say "ffs it's reference work hehe" do some more research. 

6 minutes ago, Orleans said:

I guess for most people it's an "ssdd" ordeal. Nobody really cares that some people put hours into their entries to get their faces spit in. People who made the game, put names in, designed stuff, whatever, got paid. Nc is gonna get paid off the designs we submit and yet they are so quick to just step all over their player base, give them rules to follow, the rules are followed by the player but not them. No news there though.  It all just doesn't make any sense to me.  A game that supports art theft essentially, is not gonna get any more business from me and before you say "ffs it's reference work hehe" do some more research. 

Well, first off, just because someone spent hours on something, does not mean it's any good.  Second off, just because someone spent hours on something and didn't get chosen, doesn't mean they were spat in the face.

If you think it's that easy to be spat in the face, then the fans of BnS who didn't want that outfit to win, where spat int he face :p  Fans who didn't get the outfit they wanted to win were spat in the face.  :p

My guess, the judges where fans of Alice in Wonderland's look and figured people would love to dress up as them.  Personally, I would have preferred something else.  Especially, since if I'm not mistaken, they could have ported over an AiW look, alreayd in game from another server.

Wow, clearly people don't know what plagiarism is. Sure, it's fine to take inspiration from other existing costumes. It's even fine to take some aspects of a costume and alter them to better fit your design, but it is NOT okay to actually copy-paste already existing costume pieces and pass them off as your own. It is NOT inspiration, and it is NOT using a reference. And saying that they may be a "bad artist" is no excuse. That'd be like someone being a terrible journalist, and they decide to steal someone else's story and publish it as their own because they can't come up with anything original. How would you people feel if someone won a costume contest by stealing certain aspects of an original costume you designed? I imagine you wouldn't be too happy.

It's amazing the lengths people will go to defend something, even if it's wrong.

1 minute ago, Brand X said:

Well, first off, just because someone spent hours on something, does not mean it's any good.  Second off, just because someone spent hours on something and didn't get chosen, doesn't mean they were spat in the face.

So what you're saying here is that NC put out some rules for us to follow (to prevent disqualification), the rules were followed (I don't know if you actually designed anything but for me it was MISERABLE and extremely difficult on a creative level to make some entirely unique from your imagination), the winners picked broke some of the worst code you can, but won anyway. And thus, the people who didn't win are jealous? Are you for real dude?

Nobody is salty from losing. Well, I'm sure some are, but you're missing the bigger picture here friend. They picked people who literally plagiarized their entries and said "oops". Sure some of the designs I genuinely enjoy and would probably pay for, under different circumstances. They wanted ORIGINAL THEMES. Meaning, things that did not already exist elsewhere. There is already an Alice outfit. There is already an indian/gypsy outfit.  Not even a sorry. You don't give a large crowd guidelines to follow religiously, then pull the rug out from underneath them. 

I'm just wondering if NCSOFT gonna take the community seriously.... The winner obviously stole some designs which are hugh and very noticable parts of the costume. If NCSOFT doesn't disqualify the winner for breaking the costum design contest rules, then it will be NCSOFT's shame, which will show us how much they actually care.

5 minutes ago, QRob said:

I'm just wonder if NCSOFT gonna take the community seriously.... The winner obviously stole some designs which are hugh and very noticable parts of the costume. If NCSOFT doesn't disqualify the winner for breaking the costum design contest rules, then it will be NCSOFT's shame, which will show us how much they actually care.

Oh I'm betting they won't do anything. In the 6+ years I've played their games in NA, they have never once shown an interest in the public opinion or concern. I just hope people are not dumb enough to PAY THEM for this stuff lol

They could pull a regium corvus on us. The original concept had stockings but it was removed in the final making of it. They could just change the mask and other details altogether yet still keep this 'wonderland' theme. 

Archived