Winner Outfit uses stolen art from Fire Emblem, Rage of Bahamut and Touhouvania

Marqin

9 minutes ago, Rhy said:

MFW People that dislike the costume so much try their best to make it look bad.

No, tracing body poses has LITTLE to do in a COSTUME DESIGNING contest. Yes the mask looks HIGHLY similar but it is NOT the same and you have to look past your stupid salt to actually see it. It is REFERENCED.

No, the rage of bahamut looks nothing like the Jin outfit and the touhouvania hair style is SIMILAR again but not the same, are people truly blinded by salt or something? They look similar but not the same at all.

Now, go ahead, try to tell me I'm wrong, being an FE fan especially all these years try to tell me that the mask is the same and I'll just laugh at you for it. Seriously people, calm down, because you don't like it you have to shoot it in flames? Ok, just, ok. Lol.

PS: I hope you realize that other contestants have done more than tracing body poses and are straight up plagiarism in one way or another. Look at the outfit that got DQ'd lol... o.o

I have fire emblem awakening and fates. The mask is highly similar to lucina's because it was traced. An OC character inspired by Lucina from FE, her mask and all could be called original if the artist did not sit there and copy pose for pose as well as luci's accessories . Regardless of what you say about body poses, it DOES have an impact on a costume design. If it's stolen or traced, it will be called out. Not because the Majority of the people hate it. It's because it's a cheapskate way to win. Like I said from my last post. If you do not know how to draw then use a Base. There are plenty of original bases on DA that are free to use, some do not even ask for credit back. 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RiasOblivia said:

na don't worry, but tgh, a cosplay is, by definition, putting life in a caracter who don't exist, so obviously it's "duping", so don't melt drawing and cosplaying please

you are right, take a step back, and go playing at awakening (good game btw and imo of course) and stop defending something so obviously wrong.

(don't take it personnaly, i just can't stand back when people says wrong things)

Personally I liked If better than Kakusei but that's because I could get behind most of the characters and their beliefs there, then again that was kinda..destroyed by western translations, kinda similar to how BnS West translations were destroyed, but that's another topic for another day, HF arguing with others about this though.

Again I do find it cute that people can band together over something like this then be almost willing to kill each other in another topic. I'll use the previous contest as an example, community clearly divided over it, some even calling out others for "liking" it, yet here we are, nearly everyone is together trying their best, and when the next thing presents itself? It'll be a divided community all over again...the cycle never ends /sigh.

And nah, I don't take it personally, you have your opinions and I have mine.

4 minutes ago, Rhy said:

Personally I liked If better than Kakusei but that's because I could get behind most of the characters and their beliefs there, then again that was kinda..destroyed by western translations, kinda similar to how BnS West translations were destroyed, but that's another topic for another day, HF arguing with others about this though.

Again I do find it cute that people can band together over something like this then be almost willing to kill each other in another topic.

i completly agreed with you one that, but as every translations, we lose some... sense in a game. i find rekanoken pretty good to, even if it's from the last century, hahaha

and again, i'm not siding with someone, i just say it's unfair (and don't tell me no it's not, we clearly have other "similarity" in others outfits from this contest ^^)

He win because he's a good artist, his(her!) design looks the best overall, although i can't say the same when it's equipped to characters, design looks great, but the actual outfit might not.

Those other outfit, like bambo looks great in design, but in-game it's so.so, not very attractive.

Same goes for regium and the other ones, design looks cool, but the actual product is just to spit on, plain ugly.  

It's all on the dev team to make it looks as best as possible, i hope they wont *cricket* up with this one as well, the design is superb imo. Although i wish they switch kun and gon (just my wishful thinking)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Does tracing considered a good artist? if yes, sure, if not, ignore my post entirely. Though not sure if the artist really did trace, but the evidence is rather obvious.

24 minutes ago, Emma Frost said:

Well that's just how cheesy the other entries were. These people are good at digital art, but I wish they had better design skills. I was really hoping ncsoft would consider putting a haute couture gown in if someone entered it in the contest.

I was under the impression, by the rules, that NCSoft was allowed to mess with the designs themselves.

My problem with a lot of the designs, was I saw lots I'd like to mix and match between them with a few getting alterations.  Like I did not like the shorts on any of them :p

Going to add my 2 cents here:

I am an artist for some years. And using poses as reference is not cheating at all. Poses are not considered original. Even professional artists still look on anatomy reference for human (even animal etc) for their work. Having a perfect knowledge of anatomy in any pose possible takes lot of time of experience. Hence most of us do not have the luxury of having a real human model to pose for hours for study, we use online sources or books - as probably the artist of the original pose did as well then or before (till the point after a long time where you practiced them long enough to not use ref anymore). 

Now, regarding the judging.....I witnessed and participated in this kind of contests before. And many times  I  saw how the respective jury made marketing based decisions, or unfair community voting etc which makes many people who participates, which are even actually artists, feel like their effort is nothing for the organizers.

So i looked up the video stream of the previous costume contest. I was impressed and convinced me this one is worth. Why? Because:

- they actually provided solid info about each costume why was in honorable mentions but did not win; like why the design cannot be implemented because of some specific elements of level design/3d/ animations of the costume in game and so on, similarity with other costumes or/and originality and other reasons.

That kind of analysis left a good impression and fairness, even helped us to have a better idea of their judging for their future contest. So i decided to give it a shot also.

That is why i was so surprised of how the contest ended this time. They did not even follow their own rules. And judging explanation was very poor.

And as a side not: yes, i did participate. But what i say has nothing to do with me winning something or not. I am my biggest critic and i always know i can do evet better, and that there is competition far better than me at that moment, or at least on tight competition.

Personally, the entry i made still has a use for me since it goes to my portfolio i'm working on (planing to be an artist in gaming industry in the future). But i still feel cheating for the way it was handled. Important was for an actual legit and worthy entry to win.

It has to do with the fact that, as an artist myself i can understand how many other feel about this outcome. 

For some of us this was not just a contest to win something (aka NC coins etc),not a hobby  but something we are passionate about.

There is time and work consumed behind our entries (thinking how to be different, but still keep the game theme, how to make it viable to be implemented in game....and so on - no matter out current lvl of drawing etc - the design was important, the execution not so much)

The idea of winning an art contest is the reward itself (money reward not important, at least for me).

Sorry for the long post, I do not usually write walls. But I felt the need to share my point of view on this.

Can't wait to see all entries posted  :)

EDIT: I have a curiosity: at some point during the stream, the CM  said something like "i could not sleep last night bla bla bla ...because i did not know who to choose". Did i hear wrong? Or was she joking? The CM chose the winner?

2 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

cheapskate way to win? you think he win solely because of that mask? he win because of his own design.. even if the mask is not there he would still win

Did I ever said that the artist won solely because s/he traced the mask, and mask alone? No. Please re-read my first post on here then read the second one. Clearly there was other focuses I had pointed out other than her mask. Like I said, the artist's submission would not be called out if half of their designs was not traced. People even posted pictures and had used tools to show you what was directly copied and what was not. The proof doesn't lie which is why I called it a "cheapskate" win.

> Tracing over someone's artwork line for line for the exact pose = not okay

> Referencing the pose and drawing it yourself = okay sure

That's the difference. If the drawing had been a free-to-use base it would be fine but I don't see  Hyung Tae Kim parading stickers on his art work that says 'trace over me and claim me as your own hard work without credit.'

1 hour ago, rainbowkitten said:

that awkward moment when the haters in this thread realized that another contestants also plagiarizing something one way or another....

I get that this design's hand drawn artwork isn't even close to being on par with the winning contestants' digital art, and looking back on it, the dip shouldn't have been as low as past the bellybutton, but at least it was a fresh idea that isn't a blatant copy from its "inspiration." I was hoping ncsoft would consider putting a design similar to this in game if they saw this, but looks like they prefer cosplay outfits instead.

2zgvwnc.jpg

29n6u0m.jpg

2vxftoo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Emma Frost said:

I get that this design's hand drawn artwork isn't even close to being on par with the winning contestants' digital art. And looking back on it, the dip shouldn't have been as low as past the bellybutton, But at least it was a fresh idea that isn't a blatant copy from its "inspiration."

29n6u0m.jpg

2vxftoo.jpg

how do u even trace a real living person as drawing? this post doesn't make any sense

18 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

how do u even trace a real living person as drawing? this post doesn't make any sense

That's what I'm saying. This was my design. I honestly feel like this should have been considered more instead of some of the others that made the cut because it wasn't a cheap copy of the inspiration. Even the back of my dress is different  from the inspiration picture. The back of the Dior runway dress is an overlapping drape. Mine is a deep cut bare back.

I can't find the exact picture of the back of the black dress I used as inspiration because it was covered by a coat. But this was pretty much the same dress as the black one but in a different color. As you can see, the back of it is also completely different from the back of mine 

10dtftv.jpg

i3s1w5.jpg

11 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

If you have a photo of a real person, you can trace that...

That's not even the point of their post. They're trying to show that you can take inspiration from a costume without copying it.

2 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

ok take off that mask and w/e you think he plagiarized, he would still win because his design itself is good. He knows how to choose the right colors, and the details are good.

and what would that solve? it wouldn't change the fact he competed with some stolen designs.... and he competed with the mask and hairs and costume, there is no such thing they just look at the costume and ignore the other adorments.
what you are saying is nonsense.
the guy stole designs -> broke the rules -> he deserves nothing but disqualification for that. it's simple as that.
I hope NCSOFT won't ignore this.
I actually like the costume and the hairstly very much, it would be nice if it was created ingame, though the guy doesn't deserve the winningprice, cuz he obviously wasn't fair playing.

10 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

ok take off that mask and w/e you think he plagiarized, he would still win because his design itself is good. He knows how to choose the right colors, and the details are good.

As someone else earlier pointed out, there's already something similar to this design's theme in Korea. This design brings nothing new to the table, and to top it off, parts of it have been copied and pasted 

2wltrmr.png

I'd also like to point out that whilst I'm a fan of all these costumes for the runners up (not the winner, though), didn't they say it wasn't a competition on your drawing skills? I saw a lot of really nice looking costumes that were drawn on paper and all of the ones with a special mention were drawn digitally and amazingly. That kinda sucks. I'm disappointed that my design wasn't chosen, as everyone else is as well, but I am really annoyed that the winner copied everything and had an unoriginal concept. That's like a kick in the face to all of the community.

It makes sense though. Copyright aside, the Alice in Wonderland theme is in many games for a reason: it sells.

Sorry to all of you that did create amazing costumes and weren't chosen. Maybe next time :)

Well at least I know how to win next year, copy a dress onto a copied pose, add a few belts- maybe change the colors, and... yup trace a mask- I mean not trace, I'l add a few fins.

I didn't even enter, I just joined the game a week ago but with all the runner ups being fantastic and original it seems really unfair for this one to win (and I've had people trace my art before or heavily reference it... I was less then pleased)

6 minutes ago, Brand X said:

It wasn't a kick in the face.  Though I never once thought artistic skill wouldn't matter.  No matter how much they like to say as such, the winners and runner ups always seem to be pretty decent artists.  :p

No, it wasn't a kick in the face TO YOU. Some people see it as a kick to the face because some of them spent MANY hours coming up with a decent costume and put so much work into it only to be met with the realization that they lost to someone who wasn't even responsible for parts of their costume. YOU may not see it as a kick to the face, but for some of the people that actually entered the contest, it definitely is.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if a drawing comes within an 8% margin (92% identical or closer) then it is deemed plagiarism. A case regarding this matter is the No Game No Life illustrator caught plagiarizing.

http://www.otakutale.com/2014/no-game-no-life-artist-yuu-kamiya-allegedly-caught-tracing-other-peoples-work/

Examples in the spoiler tags

Spoiler

No-Game-No-Life-Tracing-Comparison-3-1.j

Spoiler

No-Game-No-Life-Tracing-Comparison-8-1.j

Now these are more than just outfits but you can clearly see the author traced the images they saw and tweaked them a bit to hide the fact these were traced work.

9 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

anyway these debate won't be happening if he didn't win.... and ofc people gonna look for flaws on the design of the next winner (if they DQ'ed this time winner)

all this shit wouldn't have happened if NCSOFT had shared the designs and given a voting to the community and to discuss the contestant designs. so the community could've told ncsoft which designs are stolen so that ncsoft would have been able to disqualify them.

47 minutes ago, rainbowkitten said:

Debate would have happened even if she did win  without the whole tracing or didn't win. Look at the 1st art contest winners... People were up in flames for those costumes and some? not so much. The reason why this one is getting a lot of negative views is because, One hairstyle, (the gon's)  a headdress,  (gon again) a mask  (lyn) and the outfit design for female Jin and possibly  the yun's outfit  have been traced/heavily inspired by other game/anime franchises. 

Archived