Winner Outfit uses stolen art from Fire Emblem, Rage of Bahamut and Touhouvania

Marqin

13 minutes ago, Shukran said:

do u mean that calling tomb of the exile's mob "ken shiro", minions "pumba and timon" and other bilin of references to other stuff didnt hit u in the feelings?

This game steals shit from pop culture all the time, I can not count how many Final Fantasy 7 references I have seen. You have Cloud's hair style for the Jin male.. The fight with Jinsoyun where you are utterly screwed up and have to try and kill yourself is almost a direct rip off of Advent children's omislash. At the final fight she literally becomes a one winged Angel...

Lets not even get into the quest names... "Emperor strikes back." The whole wizard of oz quest line... "Let him go.." (for the banshee area.. I just groaned at that one)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jem said:

They could pull a regium corvus on us. The original concept had stockings but it was removed in the final making of it. They could just change the mask and other details altogether yet still keep this 'wonderland' theme. 

yes, thats a solution for us, but it's not a solution for the fact that the winner actually cheated/broke the rules of the contest.

3 minutes ago, Orleans said:

I hope they don't, there's already a wonderland outfit. How boring.

ya exactly. IDK why wonderland won when there's one already made and we are eventually going to get. @_@

4 minutes ago, Jem said:

They could pull a regium corvus on us. The original concept had stockings but it was removed in the final making of it. They could just change the mask and other details altogether yet still keep this 'wonderland' theme. 

I hope they don't, there's already a wonderland outfit. How boring.

29 minutes ago, United17 said:

Ummm ya you know a pose isn't in any way stealing right, you do like realize that?

He could have drew something completely different for a pose and you sad people would have pulled it apart, literally could have found a similar pose on the internet and said "OMG STOLEN POSE" which luckily poses can't really be stolen. The mask looks very similar yes maybe he drew his inspiration for the mask directly from it.....SO?

It's not wrong to draw strong inspiration from something. You people are ridiculous. Now if he had copy pasted entire designs clearly created by someone else that would be a douche move but that's not the case. Get over it.

tracing_and_referencing_by_vengefulspiri

tracing_vs__referencing_by_diikae-d3frg8

So many art thieves use this whole pose for pose thing as an excuse. It will not save you if you sat there and simple "Line" for "line" the pose. If you cannot draw then use an Anime base specifically one that was made from scratch and not copied from some anime scene or another artist drawing unless they've gotten permission.

8 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

Wow, clearly people don't know what plagiarism is. Sure, it's fine to take inspiration from other existing costumes. It's even fine to take some aspects of a costume and alter them to better fit your design, but it is NOT okay to actually copy-paste already existing costume pieces and pass them off as your own. It is NOT inspiration, and it is NOT using a reference. And saying that they may be a "bad artist" is no excuse. That'd be like someone being a terrible journalist, and they decide to steal someone else's story and publish it as their own because they can't come up with anything original. How would you people feel if someone won a costume contest by stealing certain aspects of an original costume you designed? I imagine you wouldn't be too happy.

It's amazing the lengths people will go to defend something, even if it's wrong.

Actually clearly you don't. What's copy pasted? Obviously it's not. Is it the same design yes....on a mask as part of an entire outfit. Is is copy pasted, nope sure isn't. Unfortunately your analogy holds no weight copy pasting a story and claiming it is your own IS plagiarism. Having a mask design be similar as part of an entire outfit isn't even close.

22 minutes ago, Orleans said:

So what you're saying here is that NC put out some rules for us to follow (to prevent disqualification), the rules were followed (I don't know if you actually designed anything but for me it was MISERABLE and extremely difficult on a creative level to make some entirely unique from your imagination), the winners picked broke some of the worst code you can, but won anyway. And thus, the people who didn't win are jealous? Are you for real dude?

Nobody is salty from losing. Well, I'm sure some are, but you're missing the bigger picture here friend. They picked people who literally plagiarized their entries and said "oops". Sure some of the designs I genuinely enjoy and would probably pay for, under different circumstances. They wanted ORIGINAL THEMES. Meaning, things that did not already exist elsewhere. There is already an Alice outfit. There is already an indian/gypsy outfit.  Not even a sorry. You don't give a large crowd guidelines to follow religiously, then pull the rug out from underneath them. 

Nothing in my quote does it say, plagerizing is okay.

What it said was, just because someone spent hours upon hours on it, does it mean it should win or that it was good.

I believe I even said, we already had an Alice in Wonderland outfit, so picking it, seemed to make no sense to me.  Personally, out of what I've seen, I liked Nekro's the most :p

And yes, I think some are saly from losing, and I think some are salty for not having the one they wanted win.  What I can tell, is everything they said was plagerized, I've seen in other things.  Someone had a kitsune mask, there's plagerizism right them!  Seen that in Naruto!  So it's not original at all :p  

39 minutes ago, United17 said:

Actually clearly you don't. What's copy pasted? Obviously it's not. Is it the same design yes....on a mask as part of an entire outfit. Is is copy pasted, nope sure isn't. Unfortunately your analogy holds no weight copy pasting a story and claiming it is your own IS plagiarism. Having a mask design be similar as part of an entire outfit isn't even close.

YOU don't understand that you don't have to copy the ENTIRE OUTFIT for it to be plagiarism. If you looked at the first page of the thread, the mask is clearly traced, as well as the gon female hair style. Little to nothing was actually altered. It doesn't look similar, it looks ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL. Now, it wouldn't be bad if they gave credit to the originals, but they didn't, and THAT makes it plagiarism. Don't try and defend it just because it doesn't copy the entire outfit, because it DOES NOT HAVE TO copy the entire outfit. They still stole a piece of a costume that is not theirs and didn't give credit to the original creator.

I mean, didn't you have English class? Did you go to college? They TEACH YOU what plagiarism is. You can't make a few quick changes here and there and still try to claim it as yours. That's NOT how it works.

25 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Nothing in my quote does it say, plagerizing is okay.

What it said was, just because someone spent hours upon hours on it, does it mean it should win or that it was good.

I believe I even said, we already had an Alice in Wonderland outfit, so picking it, seemed to make no sense to me.  Personally, out of what I've seen, I liked Nekro's the most :p

And yes, I think some are saly from losing, and I think some are salty for not having the one they wanted win.  What I can tell, is everything they said was plagerized, I've seen in other things.  Someone had a kitsune mask, there's plagerizism right them!  Seen that in Naruto!  So it's not original at all :p  

The difference is that none of those costumes actually won. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't kitsune originate from Japanese mythology? Naruto didn't originally come up with that concept, therefore it's not plagiarizing Naruto in any way. The ONLY way you could say that it copies from Naruto is if the costume looks like something that already exists in the show. 

7 minutes ago, United17 said:

Plagiarism is not limited to copy/paste. In visual arts, plagiarism *includes but is not limited to* copy/trace which is exactly what occurred in the winning entry. The posting of those copy tuts images was nice, thank you, numbers.

Within hours of the entry being posted, two crystal-clear examples of accessory pieces (and hairstyle in one) being obviously and indisputably directly traced were posted. These two pieces are DIRECT COPY, not inspired, not similar, TRACED. You may argue, hey, they're just accessories but they contribute to the overall concept of cohesion of theme which is listed as one of the judging criteria. Accessories have been included as part of the winning costume releases so they should not be stolen copies.

But beyond that, the clearly copied version of the female Jin outfit was posted. For that outfit, all that's changed is the neckline, precise detail of the boob armor, the belt detail (skinny not fat but same idea), and addition of the obi. That white overlay part of the dress is an exact copy down to the cutout dot pattern which is even in the chest area like the original even though mostly hidden by obi. The silhouette and construction is exactly the same.

That is plagiarism. The changing of minor details does not negate plagiarism. And that's a COSTUME, not just an accessory.

If three crystal-clear examples of direct copies can be shown within hours of this entry being shown, how many more examples will be found of plagiarism?

I want to be clear, copying the poses from other art would normally fall under plagiarism, however, for the purpose of the contest which is about the ideas of the costume, I don't see it as a problem.

Additionally, if the submitter attributed credit to where their ideas were taken from would not be okay in a contest for visual and creative originality. That would signal a huge problem.

So here we go again, now we have a group of people that overreacted imo

I said that reference / similarity has a degree, from little to disturbingly similar, in this case the mask is similar, it has pattern that changed a bit BUT the whole point is the costume, the costume itself very different to the fire emblem costume, people like to nitpick something and then overreacted about it

The hairstyle, hairstyle is common thing, some can say it's unique but hairstyle can't be different too much and I think it's okay to copy hairstyle because IRL people do that too

The problem is : the trace of that drawings, it's make a concern that the artist simply trace another drawings not inspired by it , which to some people it's a violation of the rules, while me myself can't decide if tracing = plagiarism or still okay.

Point is : reference / inspired by has some degree to be called plagiarism , u can't say that a drawings that have little similarity is plagiarism and turn blind to blatant plagiarism.

MFW People that dislike the costume so much try their best to make it look bad.

No, tracing body poses has LITTLE to do in a COSTUME DESIGNING contest. Yes the mask looks HIGHLY similar but it is NOT the same and you have to look past your stupid salt to actually see it. It is REFERENCED.

No, the rage of bahamut looks nothing like the Jin outfit and the touhouvania hair style is SIMILAR again but not the same, are people truly blinded by salt or something? They look similar but not the same at all.

Now, go ahead, try to tell me I'm wrong, being an FE fan especially all these years try to tell me that the mask is the same and I'll just laugh at you for it. Seriously people, calm down, because you don't like it you have to shoot it in flames? Ok, just, ok. Lol.

PS: I hope you realize that other contestants have done more than tracing body poses and are straight up plagiarism in one way or another. Look at the outfit that got DQ'd lol... o.o

6 minutes ago, Rhy said:

Now, go ahead, try to tell me I'm wrong, being an FE fan especially all these years try to tell me that the mask is the same and I'll just laugh at you for it. Seriously people, calm down, because you don't like it you have to shoot it in flames? Ok, just, ok. Lol.

i just skip your post except this part, you are a FE fan? just go playing awakening one more time, and just go to meet lucina one more time, and just thing about what you said one more time (huh, i'm repeating thig one mor... nvm mind :D) and tell us, that's not the same mask....

dude the proof is more than obvious, stop being a blindly ncsoft fan....

6 minutes ago, RiasOblivia said:

i just skip your post except this part, you are a FE fan? just go playing awakening one more time, and just go to meet lucina one more time, and just thing about what you said one more time (huh, i'm repeating thig one mor... nvm mind :D) and tell us, that's not the same mask....

agreed.

3 minutes ago, Rhy said:

MFW People that dislike the costume so much try their best to make it look bad.

No, tracing body poses has LITTLE to do in a COSTUME DESIGNING contest. Yes the mask looks HIGHLY similar but it is NOT the same and you have to look past your stupid salt to actually see it. It is REFERENCED.

No, the rage of bahamut looks nothing like the Jin outfit and the touhouvania hair style is SIMILAR again but not the same, are people truly blinded by salt or something? They look similar but not the same at all.

I couldn't care less about the contest as I really didn't follow it, but you have to be BLIND not to see that the mask and the hairstyle was obviously traced. The Jin female costume looks similar, and I wouldn't say that it was copied since there are a lot of differences, but the other two look almost exactly the same. This isn't about people disliking the costume or being upset that they lost, this is about a costume winning when it CLEARLY stole certain aspects from other already existing costumes and broke the rules of the contest. It's NOT referencing, ESPECIALLY when you can lay one over the other and they fit almost PERFECTLY. That is BLATANT copying.

But whatever, defend plagiarism if you want. Just remember this for if/when someone traces over something that you created and tries to pass it off as their own, or someone steals a story you write and only changes a few words and gets the credit for it. But it's okay, you'll probably say that they're "referencing" it and continue to let them steal your work.

11 minutes ago, Brand X said:

But, it's terrible.   I say that as someone who wants a good pirate outfit.

Well that's just how cheesy the other entries were. These people are good at digital art, but I wish they had better design skills. I was really hoping ncsoft would consider putting a haute couture gown in if someone entered it in the contest.

53 minutes ago, DirectorTseng said:

This game steals shit from pop culture all the time, I can not count how many Final Fantasy 7 references I have seen. You have Cloud's hair style for the Jin male.. The fight with Jinsoyun where you are utterly screwed up and have to try and kill yourself is almost a direct rip off of Advent children's omislash. At the final fight she literally becomes a one winged Angel...

Lets not even get into the quest names... "Emperor strikes back." The whole wizard of oz quest line... "Let him go.." (for the banshee area.. I just groaned at that one)

I just want to make a note here that my understanding is that the pop culture references in the translation are choices made by NCWest's translation team. And there is a huge difference between referencing a pop culture something and directly copying something.

Other in-game elements are iconic, such as Cloud's hairstyle. That character may be the best known one who seemed to pioneer the look, but this is a case of imitation as flattery. Nearly every franchise featuring lots of characters will have someone sporting "Cloud's hairstyle". One-winged demon-angels are tropey, not copies.

In short, pop culture reference =/= plagiarism. Use iconic styles/concept = trope, not plagiarism.

And for the record, I personally do not know anyone who entered this contest, so I am not arguing about salt. I'm arguing about creative originality in a contest judging such. I'm arguing against supporting or reinforcing permission for plagiarism, which has become a significant problem since the Internet has made so much content freely available to everyone. I'm saddened but not surprised by the ignorance here of the difference between plagiarism/copying and referencing, trope, inspiration, and the iconic. 

It's like nobody wanting to offer their Ivory scale in Mandate anymore. Why should I offer my art for others to enjoy if some will freely rip it off and few will care?

I welcome people to post the evidence of direct copies made in any of the runner-up entries. Some of them are very tropey and clearly inspired by pre-existing trends, fads and styles. Perhaps some meet the definition of plagiarism; I don't know and am not arguing against that possibility. But there are some entries which are clearly and vividly original in concept and ideas and should put the winner to shame. 

9 minutes ago, RiasOblivia said:

Next you'll ask me to take a picture of the cosplay mask I have...

Blindly being an NCsoft fan? Sorry that ain't me either, especially when I dislike half of their decisions and haven't spent much on this game at all. (Paying only for my premium.)

Nope, it's not the exact same mask, yes there's references to it, but it's not the exact same nor can it be called tracing. = =;;;

Welp I already put my thoughts into this topic so I'mma take a step back and watch the flames burn, it's a great laugh if anything, really, getting to see the Community band together over something so trivial yet they are at each other's throats in regards to other topics. xD

Personally only find the mask being questionable due to the shape being about the same with FE's, the rest are just too...

Is Touhou hairstyle supposed to be copyrighted or something?

The costume competition was suppose to see how well one design, the main objective was design, not anatomy battle, so having a traced pose isn't some heavenly big deal.

The fabric design of Olivia is pretty common, I believe. The finalized design of the competitor have its own distinctive feature compared to Olivia's, why would this count as an offense?

And bloody hell, NCWest, let your player base to vote for the costumes with an appropriate well prepared voting system.

Just now, Rhy said:

Next you'll ask me to take a picture of the cosplay mask I have..

Nope, it's not the exact same mask, yes there's references to it, but it's not the exact same nor can it be called tracing. = =;;;

na don't worry, but tgh, a cosplay is, by definition, putting life in a caracter who don't exist, so obviously it's "duping", so don't melt drawing and cosplaying please

you are right, take a step back, and go playing at awakening (good game btw and imo of course) and stop defending something so obviously wrong.

(don't take it personnaly, i just can't stand back when people says wrong things)

Archived