Winner Outfit uses stolen art from Fire Emblem, Rage of Bahamut and Touhouvania

Marqin

Go look at lyn's mask in winning outfit.

And now Google for "Marth Fire Emblem mask".

1072174_206039566186638_671392453_o-600x

contest rules:

"Further, any Costume Design that  contains trademarks, copyright - protected or other proprietary materials for which the Entrant  has not obtained appropriate assignment of rights will be void. "

EDIT

Commenters also found parts stolen from:

Rage of Bahamut - heavly "inspired" clothing for Jin

Touhouvania - traced hairstyle and hairband

EDIT2:

Summary from @shinnabuns:

3xO1UmS.png

8sXTiEh.gif

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's violate the rules, because similar =/= plagiarism

also it's only the mask, stolen art is the whole concept stolen (recolor, change a design a bit)

Originality nowadays is rare because people already made tons and tons of arts, thus leaving a little room for originality

Also the robot boss from Mushin 14th & Talus Dungeon 1st boss , resemblance bumblebee

BumbleBeeBar640.jpg

Talus dungeon has red color & Mushin has silver color....

9 minutes ago, shinnabuns said:

Take a look at his/her Jin outfit. The resemblance is striking between her design and Olivia from Rage of Bahamut.

that ornaments on the bottom of that white looks identical

11 minutes ago, RoyalMiku said:

Originality nowadays is rare because people already made tons and tons of arts, thus leaving a little room for originality

Not true. 

The wonderland idea is over used imo, there are better costumes out there, besides, lets remind everyone that they let someone WIN with a picture stolen from deviantart : http://ziyoling.deviantart.com/art/Bns-costumes-design-562755321 and just AFTER the livestream they took it off.

6 minutes ago, Marqin said:

that ornaments on the bottom of that white looks identical

Not even just that, the boob armor and the crest in the middle have the same concept, even the skirt on both designs are pleated skirts. The overall silhouette is the same and even the belt is located in same place just design differences i.e. wider belt.

13 minutes ago, AmiChan said:

Not true. 

The wonderland idea is over used imo, there are better costumes out there, besides, lets remind everyone that they let someone WIN with a picture stolen from deviantart : http://ziyoling.deviantart.com/art/Bns-costumes-design-562755321 and just AFTER the livestream they took it off.

What I mean is that art can be similar from one to another if you want to dig & search whole internet

and I do say that similar =/= plagiarism , your example is a stolen art , that's one kind of the worst plagiarism because he just copy & paste then WIN wtf

similarity can be applied to some degree , that's why NCSOFT should let the community to vote so community can help eliminating stolen art , plagiarism , etc

Just now, shinnabuns said:

Just realized, that hair for the Gon literally looks like a trace over of Sakuya from Touhou (Touhouvania version)A3RORtp.png

Yes and I don't even mad, because I love that hairstyle and they should sell pad for ly... *pichun*

*respawn*

Well, I should make "doorknob hat" design in the next costume contest :3

4 minutes ago, RoyalMiku said:

What I mean is that art can be similar from one to another if you want to dig & search whole internet

and I do say that similar =/= plagiarism , your example is a stolen art , that's one kind of the worst plagiarism because he just copy & paste then WIN wtf

similarity can be applied to some degree , that's why NCSOFT should let the community to vote so community can help eliminating stolen art , plagiarism , etc

As a designer I disagree with you. People always have other perceptions if they really want to, the person traced the poses too, which makes me think she doesn't have the best experience in drawing humans, therefore its pretty normal for her/him to use lots of references for the costume too. Basically, even if you dont accept it, she did get parts of the anime. I dont mind she/he won, good for him/her, but I am dissapointed by how there are people that tried a lot harder and they didnt win. 

For example horchatai used mobs from the game as an inspiration, not an anime. 

22 minutes ago, AmiChan said:

As a designer I disagree with you. People always have other perceptions if they really want to, the person traced the poses too, which makes me think she doesn't have the best experience in drawing humans, therefore its pretty normal for her/him to use lots of references for the costume too. Basically, even if you dont accept it, she did get parts of the anime. I dont mind she/he won, good for him/her, but I am dissapointed by how there are people that tried a lot harder and they didnt win. 

For example horchatai used mobs from the game as an inspiration, not an anime. 

As an artist, I'm fairly appalled now seeing how much of the winning entry literally traced existing art from other properties. It's one thing to use references (it's highly recommended) but reference =/= direct tracing.

And that Gon hairstyle is a direct trace. If only the model (body) elements had been traced, that would be one thing, but the ACCESSORY was traced, as was the hairstyle which the accessory would give. The braids were not traced but still stolen in concept. This is a direct lift of existing art, not referencing the body as a base for creating a new work.

Ie, tracing the body pose for just a model is fine, provided the costume pieces and hairstyle were new. THAT is an acceptable use of reference as the poses/body model are not part of the judged content.

I'm now of the opinion that the winner should be disqualified for breaking the rules regarding copied work. There appears to be very little in this entry which is a creation of the submitter.

The mask design is obviously stolen.
The gon hair style with the tiara is obviously stolen.
ppl say there are other parts as well which r stolen.
well, after that 2 things (at least) are OBVIOUSLY stolen, the guy should be disqualified, even though the hairstyles for lyn, yun, jin look rly awesome and pretty , and I'd miss them.
It's not fair for the others, and if the others were upset, it would be totally rightful of them.

This is what happen when community didn't vote the winner 

I'm no artist , but after saw traced drawings , well reference =/= direct tracing that's true

too bad, I love the Gon hairstyle /grrr

So the million Venture token question is :

Winner should be disqualified or no?

bear in mind that poharan's twintails is referenced to miku / BRS and the chef at e-fleet supply captain is referenced to real life actress (I think), so reference =/= stolen art BUT reference =/= direct tracing 

Trace On !!!

Direct traced mask ... yeah even you remove the mask it wouldn't be fair to others participants.

Now this thread make me want to see our 2nd and 3rd.

off topic

Wonderland is not a bad theme but imo overall design is too mediocre.

6 minutes ago, Erza Scarlet said:

OP must be salty by not winning so what they do? Name and shame, how ironic.

lol There wouldn't be a need for nitpick/nameshaming if the winner didn't do them in the first place.

Archived