Outfit contest and "players choice "

xSonatax

Giving us players, the chance of designing an outfit to be included in the game is amazing, but not giving us the chance to choose, to vote! is not.
While it's understandable that many have a different taste and different preferences is obvious and we all know that we can't make everyone happy, but at least you would have a majority happy with the result, and the rest would still be happy of at least having a vote! Having voice!!! 
I see many good designs that could have won and see many people agreeing on that, we were just discussing about this in faction chat (in poharan). 
I think a really good choice, that could be an improvement would be having 2 winners. 1) ncsoft choice winner, 2) players choice winner, where the community would vote.

After all, we are the ones that will wear it, we deserve to have a voice on it

Those are my 2 cents.

11 minutes ago, xSonatax said:

Giving us players, the chance of designing an outfit to be included in the game is amazing, but not giving us the chance to choose, to vote! is not.
While it's understandable that many have a different taste and different preferences is obvious and we all know that we can't make everyone happy, but at least you would have a majority happy with the result, and the rest would still be happy of at least having a vote! Having voice!!! 
I see many good designs that could have won and see many people agreeing on that, we were just discussing about this in faction chat (in poharan). 
I think a really good choice, that could be an improvement would be having 2 winners. 1) ncsoft choice winner, 2) players choice winner, where the community would vote.

Those are my 2 cents.

I totally agrees with you, who will buy the outfit is the community, so we should choose what's the best one.

3 minutes ago, Nerien said:

Worst part is that it looks like the winner, took inspiration in one of the Korean runner up on their contest last year.

http://bns.plaync.com/board/contest/fashion/article/5865625?p=4

Heh, but you know it's NCsoft, so probably some setup...

15 minutes ago, Eckogen said:

How was the voting process done? I seen a lot of great entries entered that didn't even make it in runners up. 

I have no idea who chooses the finalists or how they even decide. Because of Bethany comment on the stream (rukkiri) I kinda think she has voice on it but I don't know

Look what happened last time the players voted.  :p  It only works if players get one vote and never get to vote again.

I would have liked to have seen the other entrants if this was the winner, because gah, I'm not a fan of it right now.  Especially since I may like one version more than the other and it changes it between Gon/Jin/Yun.

1 hour ago, xSonatax said:

I totally agree  :)

1 hour ago, Nerien said:

Worst part is that it looks like the winner, took inspiration in one of the Korean runner up on their contest last year.

if they want to add alice in wonderland outifit, i find this one much better ^^ Hope we will get it cause i dont really like the winner's one x) But the hairstyle with the outfit will maybe look good :)

1 hour ago, Eckogen said:

How was the voting process done? I seen a lot of great entries entered that didn't even make it in runners up. 

@Babbletr0n said on twitch chat that its the director art something, well anyway its ONE PERSON who decide for ALL the community ! x)

I am really disappointing about how they handled their decision making. The previous contest was great and looked more like the criteria of picking the winners were far more solid. I also thought the costume was suppose to be original. Well, that criteria went out of the window. There are costumes out of those 10 which were much worthy and were not designs which could be implemented easily in game.

p.s. The duck costume? Are you cereal? I feel bad for many people who put real effort into this contest. It's a shame.

3 hours ago, Nerien said:

Whao.. that is sad...
I do like the Korean's red queen one as it does fit the BnS style.

As for the winner... hum, perhaps it's just me, the male Jin's outfit somewhat reminds me of Ragnarok Online.

27 minutes ago, Sadistiquë said:

I am really disappointing about how they handled their decision making. The previous contest was great and looked more like the criteria of picking the winners were far more solid. I also thought the costume was suppose to be original. Well, that criteria went out of the window. There are costumes out of those 10 which were much worthy and were not designs which could be implemented easily in game.

p.s. The duck costume? Are you cereal? I feel bad for many people who put real effort into this contest. It's a shame.

I'm with you. I mean... the duck is funny..... some of the runner ups are really cool too. It's just when the rule said:

"Judging

The Blade & Soul team will select the Grand Prize Winner and Finalists, and they’ll be announced on August 5.

Judging will be focused on creativity and coherence of design, as well as it fitting the theme and style of the Blade & Soul aesthetic. " <<<<

I actually thought I would see more "oriental" theme.

3 hours ago, xSonatax said:

Those are my 2 cents.

Honestly, I would love to see the entry from all player this year.  Players choice winner does make sense. Especially can have a vote per player/ account.

24 minutes ago, KDP said:

The Blade & Soul team will select the Grand Prize Winner and Finalists, and they’ll be announced on August 5.

Judging will be focused on creativity and coherence of design, as well as it fitting the theme and style of the Blade & Soul aesthetic. " <<<<

I actually thought I would see more "oriental" theme.

I was hoping for that too. Blade & Soul is actually seriously lacking now in traditional East Asian / oriental style costumes. This is concept art from another game, but even something like this would've been insanely cool and appropriate:

Revelation%2BOnline%2B4.jpg

I do like the winner's costumes. But I'm just...disappointed in the overall neglect of the theme of the game we play and of course in the selection process as well.

@Kurokazu that is beautiful :O Makes me feel like I'm lvl 99. I would like to wind walk in that.

I don't really mind "Alice" theme.. but maybe be a little more creative adding some oriental touch would have been awesome. (Hey... maybe I'll try that for next year's. lol)

Btw, is there any place the participant can resubmit their costume art? Like on a post/ website.  Since I don't know if ncsoft will ever show us anyways.
I do really want to see other people's entry.

for the grand prize:

finally a good looking hairstyle for Jin female!!

although i feel unfair that only Yun female gets ponytail x.x

great job on the design for the hairstyles for female

i can't wait to buy Jin female twintail

this should last me till Poharan's Ponytail

i wonder how and when NCSOFT will release Wonderland

need a good looking hairstyle now, desperately!!

Even if voting was limited to one vote per account, people will create more accounts and put multiple votes that way. It's happened to other NCSoft F2P games. Maybe it also happened to the recent Player's Choice Costume Sale last month.

My fear about these costume contests is the way the costumes are distributed once they are available in-game. Will the winning costume be limited to Daily Dash, giveaways, or tournament prizes only? I don't understand why such costumes must be so limited in availability. There are people who are willing to throw money at BnS for these costumes. Isn't that a big hint to put these in the Hongmoon Store and let everyone go nuts?

22 minutes ago, KDP said:

@Kurokazu that is beautiful :O Makes me feel like I'm lvl 99. I would like to wind walk in that.

I don't really mind "Alice" theme.. but maybe be a little more creative adding some oriental touch would have been awesome. (Hey... maybe I'll try that for next year's. lol)

Btw, is there any place the participant can resubmit their costume art? Like on a post/ website.  Since I don't know if ncsoft will ever show us anyways.

I know, right?! I don't play female characters, but something beautiful and elegant like this for both genders would be incredible. <333
And I would totally make a female character just for that costume xD

Bethany said in the live stream that they will be posting all the entries on facebook like they did last time.

Edit:
Also from Revelation, but this is a style of outfit I would LOVE to have available in the game for males <333
13874741_10208521588351696_449030675_n.j

14 minutes ago, Sanjhiyan said:

There are people who are willing to throw money at BnS for these costumes. Isn't that a big hint to put these in the Hongmoon Store and let everyone go nuts?

They can't do that because they would be making money off a player's costume. They would have to create a contract with the designer and whatnot so the designer could receive profit as well.

This is for the community, so there will be various free ways to get these costumes. I just hope it's not JUST the daily dash because I would like it on multiple characters =/

23 minutes ago, KDP said:

We could make a thread ourselves, where people post their entries :)

13 minutes ago, SoraTokonome said:

finally a good looking hairstyle for Jin female!!

although i feel unfair that only Yun female gets ponytail x.x

Isn't that the Inferno dung drops a head accessory that gives Jin pony hair? (although it also comes with horns)

8 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

They can't do that because they would be making money off a player's costume. They would have to create a contract with the designer and whatnot so the designer could receive profit as well.

But the rules say:

"By entering this Contest, each Entrant unconditionally and irrevocably grants a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable license to Sponsor and its successors or assigns to use, reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the Costume Design for any purpose now and hereafter as they so desire. By submitting a Costume Design, Entrant grants Sponsor the right to use, publish, adapt, edit and/or modify such Costume Design in any way, in whole or in part, and to use such Costume Design alone or in combination with other works, as solely determined by Sponsor, in commerce and trade and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered, without limitation or compensation to the Entrant and without right of notice, review, or approval of any such use of the Costume Design. "

It means the developers have free reign over the design and the original designer gets nothing in return (except the designated prize for winning).

I appreciate the effort all of these artists put into their entries. All of these entries have something awesome about them: inventiveness, cohesion of concept, humor, detail, ect....

The one I felt was the most lacking in this group is..... the winner. A lot of work went into the entry and it is good looking but it's so very very similar to every wonderland-inspired style we've seen over the past decade. Sorry but ..... *snore*.

Every runner-up entry had an original feel. A few of them were clearly nodding at existing trends none of them could be drag and dropped from other existing title or franchise. And so many of them were totally unique and inventive while still truly able to fit into BnS without breaking world-feel. In this case, the winner is not inspired by the original Wonderland style but by the various Wonderland- inspired titles which makes it a 3rd tier derivative.

I guess if I want to think about trying my own hand in the next contest, I'll look at whatever mega-franchise properties are popular and see what if I can pick one the NCWest staff favors.

6 hours ago, Kurokazu said:

I was hoping for that too. Blade & Soul is actually seriously lacking now in traditional East Asian / oriental style costumes. This is concept art from another game, but even something like this would've been insanely cool and appropriate:

Revelation%2BOnline%2B4.jpg

I do like the winner's costumes. But I'm just...disappointed in the overall neglect of the theme of the game we play and of course in the selection process as well.

I have been waiting for more fantasy/traditional oriental outfits and hairstyles (with their wonderful hairpins etc.) since day 1 of the game. Why don't we ever get the kind of outfits that would best suit the atmosphere of the game (aside from being also beutiful)? Why always modern, and not even remotely related to martial arts? Sad panda. 

33 minutes ago, Sadistiquë said:

We could make a thread ourselves, where people post their entries :)

Just like Kurokazu mentioned too; according to the bns fb post:
Blade & Soul We will be uploading them all (or mostly all) as a Facebook gallery next week, yes.

I guess we'll just have to wait..... and hopefully they do post all and not hiding the good ones >:T

Archived