Forums

Can the story get any worse....

DomiSotto

I've actually enjoyed Act 4, but oh, boy, is Act 5 or whatever from the new update insipid. Forget the forced corruption, the forced redemption is nauseating. My character just stands there and makes the descisions I want to scream against and fights the characters I like to save the character I despise and would gladly strangle myself. That's in addition to running a daycare for living. Apparently, it's not enough for the game to keep you in abject poverty and exude all the charm of the  plantation work schedules in the end game, it has to simulate a crappy day-time job as well in the story-line. 

Gods be good, I have sit through the wet dreams of Korean boys in cinderlands, now I am getting a front row seat to Korean parents dreams for giving their kids moral fibre and solid family values via video games.

i remember an old friend of mine criticizing the moders of the olden generation for wanting to add romance and redeem every villain, winning the game by seduction, but this winning the game by adoption is even lamer.

5 minutes ago, amir73 said:

well this story isnt the original one. they changed the story from act 4 or so. you could actually decide to join bad guys or be good.

That was way back, and it never really worked well. But they only left one story-line, they do not have to deal with the dialogue choices at all, and all they could come up with is this diatribe of saving the babies from the Piper and kiddies making fun of your epic character? And they call themselves an M-rated game? Darn, I was just watching Marco Polo and I wish there was a game that got a cool story centered around the oriental peoples and the power-struggles, and no sugary-sweet BS of saving the slaves from the boogiemen over and over and over.... Disney has more interesting princess movies than that.

All the appearances of Mushin and Yura seem to be random and without any purpose. Like a sideshow that nobody cares about, meanwhile the main story unfolds as a very 1 dimenional crusade against Jinsoyun who is just mad for revenge against the world. I always thought she had another plan and that it must have something to do with her fighting against Mushins schemes but in the end....she is mad and you defeaet her, boring A F.

I really wonder where Yura stands in terms of power and what her motives are. She pretends to be allied Jinsoyun, but why? She is kinda allied with Mushin but for what exactly? Why does she deliver Yunwa to the Heavens Mandate ritiual after Mushin captured her? And why the F is she suddenly enslaved by the ebendrake cult. How can this cult be a secret when their agents are preaching everywhere starting in Hogshed Hamlet. How come nobody ever told you of this powerful evil cult, allthough they all seem to know quite a lot about them. Wow i could continue this forever.

I mean you fought really hard to prevent the dark gate from opening. And then everybody is like "oh btw there is this cult who can summon the same demons without a dark portal pretty much anywhere they want, we totally forgot that ahaahaha" Dude really?

1 minute ago, nekoboy said:

You not liking the story =/= it being a bad story.

Actually, it is exactly how it works in the world of subjective opinions. If you, like Lunakitty, enjoyed every minute of it, then for you it is a good story, and I have no quarrel with it. Me, I still need a few therapeutic runs through Heaven's mandate to cough all the syrup out.

tbh, BNS story is kind of typical and boring. i wonder what part of the lores that those players who said BNS say the story is the best and unique.

or maybe i read too much manga, watch too much anime/series/movies or played too many games (online or offline) with stories.

i heard FF14 (is that the online final fantasy game?) or something got great storyline but i havent tried it yet. i guess everyone here already know that final fantasy series got one the best game stories out there.

i played an MMO with great twist of story. every base class (in case of BNS, it's like equivalent of race), got different POV but the main story is the same, it still fall to one conclusion per ACT but they got different ways how they tell us their story. it's like per base class, they have different scene/movie/dialogue, but if tried to connect it all, the main point is same. there are also side stories that mostly connected to one of the class POV and it sometimes make the whole game lore more interesting.

but here on BNS, all race got same story, we can only assume or need to find manhwa/book related (like those warlock manhwa and 8 masters' book) just to fill us what/why/how/where are some of the characters. BNS is too focus on hatred/revenge and to the random troll lore of mushin and his gang.

9 minutes ago, MysterYosa said:

the random troll lore of mushin and his gang.

Until the end of the cinderlands chapter its very intriguing and that mushin is alive and taking Yunwa is really an expected twist. But the whole mystery how mushin can be alive and all the secrets around him (except that he killed Jiwan for the sword) are never truly thematised and if you expected more interesting things to happen you are just disappointed over and over again. Mushin randomly appears a few times but you learn nothing.

It's possible to get worse, given they had to revamp Act 4 to accomodate better the later ones... and I felt that the revamp still left a couple too many loose threads yet to be addressed (as in what IS the deal with Mushin and Yura... their motives still are a tad too unclear). I mean, I get that's kind of a point with this new 'chapter' in the overall narrative. I'm just saying I could do with less of that. Maybe more answering questions alongside setting up new plotlines.

As for Act 6:

Spoiler

It basically starts following up from Act 5, with some minor time skip establishing the kids (Chibisoyun, Old Man Cho grandkids, Ryu and that Sandstone Refuge orphan whose name I forgot) as having been your students for some time (and Ryu as the most competent/capable of the lot). Then, as you take care of Chibisoyun, it soon sidetracks with the Blackram 'requesting' your help in that plundering pirate fashion. It goes on up until having to help your students near the end of the act, which is kind of a retread of the prologue and set up for a rescue arc yet to come.

The Blackram are the high point of Act 6 as a whole for me: your interactions with their officers (which will seemingly pay off somewhat in the yet to be released Act 7) and setting up the context for the Shattered Masts and Gloomdross Incursion dungeons are the best parts. The parts with the kids, though... a touch less engaging, but that's partly because I dislike the grandkids... their antics in Act 5 don't help their case and they don't get enough time to make themselves less insufferable in my eyes throughout Act 6. Their acting more like their grandpa with the medicinal knowledge is a step in the right direction, but they need more than that, which I hope later acts will deliver.

1 hour ago, DomiSotto said:

I took a look at Wiki, and I think I am getting to the end of Act 5 (mercifully). Am I past the worst or is  Act 6 in the same vein as Act 5? Or is it starting up a separate story?

I loved Act 6 the most. For me it was the cutest out of them all but that's just my personal preference. What bothers me is that the acts were so short (both 11-13 chapters long) while others were always like 30+. Somehow I felt they were a bit rushed acts just to have something for players. Some though prefer them that way but in my opinion the story was too fast and short.

11 minutes ago, KlausFlouride said:

The story in 5 and 6 was garbage, you spend the whole time being a babysitter and finding lost kids.

Actually, at first you kick out perfectly fine grown-ups, than get duped by kiddies, then get charged by the Empress to go search for kiddies, then get duped by kiddies, then you get bullied by a Celestial to babysit a kiddie, then you fight perfectly likeable grown-ups for your right to be a nursemaid, then barely manage to scare a kid by threatening to tell on him to his gramps. That's as far as I've got.

i am also starting to wonder if there is an on-going fertility crisis in Korea or something, because the men in this game jump up at the chance at adopting every orphaned baby girl they come across. My character obviously is only following in their footsteps, but why, oh why....

The part with the children was.. meh.. but when I met young Soyun, I really started to like it.

And really, for me it doesn't matter that she was the enemy. She was corrupted by the dark chi and then turned into an innocent child who doesn't remember anything. I totally agree with the decisions of my character. I would guard that little girl with my life.

So we're just going to ignore the alterations, the watered-down content, and the outright bastardization that ncwest has pushed into the story, namely Act 5 and 6, and lay the blame solely on Team Bloodlust?

Okay... That's fair I guess.....

29 minutes ago, Kupo said:

So we're just going to ignore the alterations, the watered-down content, and the outright bastardization that ncwest has pushed into the story, namely Act 5 and 6, and lay the blame solely on Team Bloodlust?

Okay... That's fair I guess.....

Since none of us has the access to the masterpiece that BnS evidently is in Korea, we can only judge what we are playing through. I have a hard time believing that Koreans are playing a game of political intrigues with grown up characters, enjoying the dialogues filled with meaningful choices reflecting the player's desires for their deep character development while we are stuck with running the Hongmoon kindergarten. That would be very odd indeed if Koreans had game of thrones, and we - Sophie the first.

do tell me if you do not spend the entire act 5 in Korea chasing babies and being duped by kids. Do tell me if you can tell Jiwan to give it a rest or hand the *cricket* over to the clans. Do tell me if you can keep do anything but what you do in NA BnS in act 5. Do tell me if you are not forced there to say: I forgave her.

From what I've heard, Korea no longer has the multiple choices and while some of the story has been altered for western audiences, overall it's pretty much the same.  IE...they get to hate rescuing PoH too.

I liked being made Jinsoyun's teacher/protector, not so much the rest of the people they left us with.  I have this feeling we got stuck with the very young kids as the only way to say we are the old and wise master :p

I even liked how Jinsoyun's whole motivation for doing what she did, was revenge against everyone.  For this setting, it totally made sense to me.  I may have even preferred she stayed an adult and she becomes a partner in the story line.

Same with Black Ram.  Why couldn't I befriend them?  Especially since I can put on their uniform and run around as one.  :p

What this act really had me thinking was "Does this mean no more of the older NPCs I liked?"  I don't want to see new acts with totally new (or old enemy) friends and have all the old ones forgotten.  :p

45 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

I have a hard time believing that Koreans are playing a game of political intrigues with grown up characters, enjoying the dialogues filled with meaningful choices reflecting the player's desires for their deep character development while we are stuck with running the Hongmoon kindergarten. That would be very odd indeed if Koreans had game of thrones, and we - Sophie the first.

The story is the same in Korea for Act 5 and 6.

I personally liked it, as there wouldn't be much point saving and rebuilding the school if as the last hongmoon warrior you were not actually going to teach at it and pass on your knowledge/skills. As F2P mmos go I personally think BNS does have one of the better story lines both in terms of lore and immersion that I've  seen for a long time. But to each their own...

6 hours ago, MysterYosa said:

i heard FF14 (is that the online final fantasy game?) or something got great storyline but i havent tried it yet. i guess everyone here already know that final fantasy series got one the best game stories out there.

Yes it does (for an mmo, i wouldn't say it's the best game story ever), but it's a little unfair to compare BNS to FF14 though. FF14 is buy to play, sub based and cross platform and I'm fairly sure Square Enix has a substantially larger budget to play with than NCSoft ever would. Plus they did kinda have 13 other versions to get things right!

8 hours ago, Lunakitty said:

Somehow I really enjoyed the act 5, probably the most out of all acts. I don't know is it just the type of story that hits me the best or what but I really enjoyed it.

I really loved the master pupil part, it really felt like your main char is important unlike most mmos where you are a FedEx  hero LOL

Archived