Forums

DPS Meter is overall a good thing

MasterBlaster

I just hope Korea NCSoft would finally gives melee real dps instead of disapointing imaginery threat values. I don't need a dps meter to notice that I am killing things a hell lot slower than a range. The difference is just way too much.

At least the dps meter allow melee pros to finally prove that they can tank with only dps without using threat buff.

For me that is the only thing I like about the dps meter. Really looking forward to that :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SnugglesFairie said:

I like the idea of the dps meter, just to see how different rotations and skill builds stack up against each other.  But I can see it being abused too. I have been in other games where people used dps meters. Elitism was just crazy insane.  The bashing, the mocking, the discrimination of certain classes, calling people out, and a whole lot more.

I can see this happening here.  The community for this game is already toxic. I am sure that plenty of people won't take into account things like lag,  bad ping, even different classes.  Some dungeons require mechanics which means that it isn't just about the damage done. So those that do the CC'ing or have certain spec'ed skills for those mechanics are probably going to be on the lower damage scale.  I personally use a controller now, due to health issues.  So I can see my dps will probably be lower than when I could use keyboard. I am sure I will get bashed for it too LOL!

A good idea in theory, but many games have regretted, blocked, or removed dps meters. And many of these games had no where near the level of toxic community as BnS.

A DPS meter could work only after you're able to control the kind of people that twist its intent.

A much better priority would be a system to publicly humiliate the trolls.

My opinion here: just like we can report bots in game, we should be able to report people on behavior and establish some kind of reputation system.

Reports from too many distinct accounts triggering a noticeable debuff, AP nerf, DPS getting nullified, or something similar with the only way to remove it being showing screenshots of them doing good deeds like giving advice to a low gear player.

Only way I can see it being abused is from players that will make a bunch of bot accounts to make false reports against one player they really don't like.

It's probably difficult to program too but one can dream.

It sounds unnecessarily tormenting, but (again just my opinion and mostly referring to the social griefers) Westerners seem to act like children, so why not treat them as such?

8 hours ago, MasterBlaster said:

The other point is this could eventually lead to the ban of all leechers/bots. This is probably the biggest reason why we need a DPS meter. With the DPS meter in the game. If someone is leeching, there damage would probably be extremely low or non existent. The DPS meter could keep track of this and after a long period of time. It could add up all the dungeon runs and calculate whether this is a bot or a leecher.

Do you mean like what could already be done with the combat log that we have now?

Well i like the idea of DPS meter in B&S, but i like to measure the good and the bad thing about this. IMHO it's very good for a EQUAL "dps race", you maybe asking right now "wtf u trying to say dude", okay let me try explain my point of view in this delicate matter, First things first, korea is a small country with a great internet infrastructure allowing them to play with low pings in almost all country, os latency is very low, so it's better for dps with 20ms than 100~150ms, comparing the both scenarios, when in BnS NA not only americans but canadians, pinoys, aussies, brazilians, even chinese and european ppl are playing, i doubt they have a less than 200ms while playing the game. So my question is, its fair for them who can't play in a equal condition by they high latency?

I know, i know, most os them slack of in the dps, or mechanic and thats why its good a dps in this matter, but not all of them are bad.

This os my 2 cents about it.

Make it shows only your own dps.

Otherwise it will start the golden age of name and shame

and those overseas guys who have a lot ping will stop playing this game completely 

cut your own customers is a brave(stupid) move?

24 minutes ago, TheFalcon said:

Well i like the idea of DPS meter in B&S, but i like to measure the good and the bad thing about this. IMHO it's very good for a EQUAL "dps race", you maybe asking right now "wtf u trying to say dude", okay let me try explain my point of view in this delicate matter, First things first, korea is a small country with a great internet infrastructure allowing them to play with low pings in almost all country, os latency is very low, so it's better for dps with 20ms than 100~150ms, comparing the both scenarios, when in BnS NA not only americans but canadians, pinoys, aussies, brazilians, even chinese and european ppl are playing, i doubt they have a less than 200ms while playing the game. So my question is, its fair for them who can't play in a equal condition by they high latency?

I know, i know, most os them slack of in the dps, or mechanic and thats why its good a dps in this matter, but not all of them are bad.

This os my 2 cents about it.

I honestly don't think it would matters so much with or without DPS meter for our server. So far I've never experienced more than 2 to 3 times toxic, troll, afk-er, leaver, type of players in a week time rotation. If they give you a constructive thoughts regarding your DPS being the lowest in the party while your stat shows that you're top 3 well you better listen to them, no need to be salty about it. For toxic players, right click his/her name click block and then leave the party after you're done :)

19 minutes ago, Volinus said:

IMake it shows only your own dps.

and those overseas guys who have a lot ping will stop playing this game completely 

I was wondering if we could disable the DPS meter for yourself? I just hate it when there's too many stuffs on your UI x.x

1 hour ago, Na Ahri said:

I honestly don't think it would matters so much with or without DPS meter for our server. So far I've never experienced more than 2 to 3 times toxic, troll, afk-er, leaver, type of players in a week time rotation. If they give you a constructive thoughts regarding your DPS being the lowest in the party while your stat shows that you're top 3 well you better listen to them, no need to be salty about it. For toxic players, right click his/her name click block and then leave the party after you're done :)

I wish the community in general was reasonable like you, but they aren't, i just hope the dps meter don't *cricket* up with cross server partys for 4man runs.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:19 PM, Volinus said:

Make it shows only your own dps.

already ppl rage about your ap... what's the difference? at least now i can finally shut ppl off proving that ap is not the only thing needed.

Cant wait for this thing to launch.

I understand a dps meter in the asian servers where mostly ppl are not trolls and polite. EU and NA have the toxiest community, sometimes i think something is very wrong with education politics in europe or it's just with games? But let's see how it goes with this dps meter thing xD

2 cents all the egotistical sins out there saying they can out dps fms will reroll in a heartbeat when they face the true :p unless big chances has to come!!! 

37 minutes ago, xCandyBear said:

2 cents all the egotistical sins out there saying they can out dps fms will reroll in a heartbeat when they face the true :p unless big chances has to come!!! 

I don't think so. Really good sins (the ones who think this) may outdps most fms because most fms don't play effectively. It's enough for a fm in burn build to not apply burn 100% of the time to get outdps'ed from some classes. And if a sin meets a very good fm, it will be "lag" or "ping". ;D

1 hour ago, Kohashi said:

already ppl rage about your ap... what's the difference? at least now i can finally shut ppl off proving that ap is not the only thing needed.

Cant wait for this thing to launch.

Not sure why you think that would make a difference there. There won't be a dps test in the dungeon lobby so people will still be kicked or other people will still leave when they see someone with low AP in the party.

OP you give this community too much credit.

As someone who pugs all his dungeons I can see how ugly this could make things. literally putting a damage score board for the party, that's a surefire for toxic behaviour..

-"LOL UR DPS SUCKS LMAO NOOB GTFO"

-Other player sadfaces and leaves.

This is a scneraio I have seen today, just replace low dps with someone dying too fast (it wasn't too fast, commenter was just that kind).

..maybe most people are not like that, but plenty still are, so why throw more oil into that fire?

You don't need this inorder to identify leechers and afkers. you can just see them doing nothing. NC could've implemented an automated system that tracks that along time ago if they wanted, they already have a dps meter. just look in your "combat" tab in the chat box. or just remember what it takes to get credit for world boss kills.

You want to improve your rotation? great. why does anyone else need to see your dps for that.

further cons:

-After a while spread sheets come out with class dps averages. next thing you know BDs (for example) aren't accepted into end game dungeons because they have the lowest. Just like that people's mains could become barred from new content through no fault of their own.

-People focusing only on dps will not do mechanics, help other players, support party, etc..

-Players in a party should be working together, not competing with each other. again, this is a problem that already exists but will be severely exacerbated with the meter.

All cancer comments :/

Im just happy i can finaly decide for myself if SF dmg is better with Earth or Ice/Frost storm or Kingfist 

Elitist can be all the elitists they want, how is that afecting any of u??? They wont flame ur ass if ur not under the Ap requirements they got lol.

I see a LFG of elitist with 680AP i dont go join that shit i look for a 610+ cuz i am a 610+ like whats these ppls problems with Elitists? they wont bite u if u dont go close to them.

Just begging to KamiSama that all ur CA3NER comments dont make them remove the meter... :(

33 minutes ago, Reaper00 said:

Not sure why you think that would make a difference there. There won't be a dps test in the dungeon lobby so people will still be kicked or other people will still leave when they see someone with low AP in the party.

well most of the toxicity happens in random pugs not so much in organized parties

14 minutes ago, QueenOfBlades said:

Im just happy i can finaly decide for myself if SF dmg is better with Earth or Ice/Frost storm or Kingfist

People have been able to do this for the previous 4 years without a dps meter. You just need to know how to add and divide.

I agree with OP, dps meter is a good thing i can test different rotations, have banter with my friends and improve or help others improve.

for those crying about elitism, if i have spent endless hours grinding for my kit to nuke faster / take less damage why should i not want to run with ppl similar kitted?  I have stuff to do and don't want to spend 2 hours trying to clear a 4 man instance. 

Less crying more grinding, or pull out your wallet.  ( how funny will it be when a 500ap out dpses a 700ap p2w player because he doesn't understand his char)

fun times inc.  

16 minutes ago, 882184_1452550488 said:

this will be fun , to see people die alot in dungeons cause they will ignore mechanics for doing more dmg ;) kappa

lel, the destroyer i normally party with has already said enjoy the grabs while you can boys lol. 

43 minutes ago, 882184_1452550488 said:

this will be fun , to see people die alot in dungeons cause they will ignore mechanics for doing more dmg ;) kappa

That how it may start, yes. But I was thinking about it a little and I think it won't be as bad as I have seen in the warzones, where people would not care if they lost or won to get the record numbers.

BnS is such a reward oriented game, and the record numbers could only come from the most geared portion that does 4M runs.

So, what is likely to happen is that the groups will simply stratify on a designated 'tank' that does the boss control, and your competitive DPS side. The 'real' records in PvE can only come from the static dummy parses though, because the boss fights have no benchmark. So, overall, I do not think the folks will just lose the sight of the need to get the fight right.

I am assuming that the DPS meter will allow recording a static dummy parse and linking it, and I am sure a website will pop up where those parses can be uploaded with the leaderboards for each class. It will be like a race track so the people don't race on highways :)

Chances are that the guilds will start asking to link a parse if they are recruiting for progressions.

57 minutes ago, Reaper00 said:

People have been able to do this for the previous 4 years without a dps meter. You just need to know how to add and divide.

Really? You want me to read through the combat chat for a whole 60seconds so i can decide which rotation of dps is better and add this all up? While repeating diff rotations, taking into account diff stats and so on. Are you crazy or something? i could spend 2hours of adding up and not be enuff for all the testing i want to do. Keep ur OLD fashioned ways to urself gramps.

Sure they have been doing it, dont mean i wanna do all of that ADING UP when i play 2-3hours a day cuz i do have life unlike most ppl who got time TO ADD UP.

24 minutes ago, QueenOfBlades said:

Really? You want me to read through the combat chat for a whole 60seconds so i can decide which rotation of dps is better and add this all up? While repeating diff rotations, taking into account diff stats and so on. Are you crazy or something? i could spend 2hours of adding up and not be enuff for all the testing i want to do. Keep ur OLD fashioned ways to urself gramps.

Sure they have been doing it, dont mean i wanna do all of that ADING UP when i play 2-3hours a day cuz i do have life unlike most ppl who got time TO ADD UP.

Out of curiosity, did you try to search for any fan-made software that lets you port a combat log in and do the math for you, and show more stats than you knew existed? There was one for SWTOR, called Parsec, then it was StarParse, and SWTOR did not have the in-game meter for PvE. After 4 years I would not be surprised if it is available for BnS as well. Honestly, I don't think an in-game one would ever be as good as a fan made, 'cause reasons.

Here is a sample of StarParse:

starparse-parsing.png

While the in-game one looked much less comprehensive:

cIE19.jpg

Archived