Forums

DPS Meter is overall a good thing

MasterBlaster

For the DPS Meter, the pros far outweight the cons. Most of the people's main concern are that *Elitists* would flame them for not doing enough damage. This is simply not true cause even elitists understands that certain classes like FM would do a lot more damage then other classes and certain classes might grab. do mechanic, melee, other situations etc things that effect the dps meter. Elitists understands the game enough to know that all those would effect the dps meter. If someone in your party says *lol you suck you dps is low* even tho you were doing certain mechanic, grab, etc then that isn't called a elitists. Thats called a troll or someone that doesn't understand the game and honestly only a very very low percent of the playerbase would be like this with the DPS meter.

The other point is this could eventually lead to the ban of all leechers/bots. This is probably the biggest reason why we need a DPS meter. With the DPS meter in the game. If someone is leeching, there damage would probably be extremely low or non existent. The DPS meter could keep track of this and after a long period of time. It could add up all the dungeon runs and calculate whether this is a bot or a leecher.

This could help people do and master different rotations. Sure there are static training dummies in mushin tower but with the dps meter, you can test and see your damage in a actual battle instead of just fighting a dummy thats standing still.

Bunch of other reasons. Basically the pros outweight the cons.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at how understanding elitist are with the character profile viewing ability. Next you are going to start telling people that most elitist don't have ego problems, but are simply misunderstood humble human beings only seeking inner peace. (sarcasm)

In all honesty they should just move all the elitist to the mushin server and segregate them from the rest of the community by placing them in some sort of elite only server so they can have their little toxic MOBA like world without it affecting anybody else. 

11 minutes ago, .x. said:

Look at how understanding elitist are with the character profile viewing ability. Next you are going to start telling people that most elitist don't have ego problems, but are simply misunderstood humble human beings only seeking inner peace. (sarcasm)

In all honesty they should just move all the elitist to the mushin server and segregate them from the rest of the community by placing them in some sort of elite only server so they can have their little toxic MOBA like world without it affecting anybody else. 

Just to make one thing clear, i am not a elitist myself. I don't care what ap people are at when i pug. But all im saying is that not even elitists would flame someone for not doing a godlike amount of damage cause they know the game well enough to know about all the situations involving grabing, mechanic, melee etc etc.

6 minutes ago, .x. said:

Found a low dpser right here 

I like the idea of the dps meter, just to see how different rotations and skill builds stack up against each other.  But I can see it being abused too. I have been in other games where people used dps meters. Elitism was just crazy insane.  The bashing, the mocking, the discrimination of certain classes, calling people out, and a whole lot more. 

I can see this happening here.  The community for this game is already toxic. I am sure that plenty of people won't take into account things like lag,  bad ping, even different classes.  Some dungeons require mechanics which means that it isn't just about the damage done. So those that do the CC'ing or have certain spec'ed skills for those mechanics are probably going to be on the lower damage scale.  I personally use a controller now, due to health issues.  So I can see my dps will probably be lower than when I could use keyboard. I am sure I will get bashed for it too LOL!

A good idea in theory, but many games have regretted, blocked, or removed dps meters. And many of these games had no where near the level of toxic community as BnS.

Bad ping leads to slow dps. I had exp 2k ms and died in 6man asura. Apparently my body was in the flames aoe even though i was standing with the group. Couldn't call my cat back and delayed hard. Somehow i have gotten out of combat when im pressing my buttons hard to atk. Finally i died from piosons cause my antidote delay of taking affect.

I even died doing naksun, couldn't even res and forget my cat res cause hell she was getting beat up as i was pressing the button. I had to quit the game and for sure, dead body on the floor. And that was my first time experiencing high ping and huge delay so far in the game. Lag spikes and such was okay but that 2k ms had pushed my buttons literally 

Your perception of elitists is way off... the reason why we ask for high AP in 4 mans is because we have lives and we don't want to spend 1 to 2 hours in a 4 man, when most 4 mans can be done in 20-30 minutes with a good group.  I am a husband and father of 3 children and I work a full time and a part time job, so I work anywhere between 60 to 70 hours a week.  If you want to learn a dungeon and not be in fear of getting kicked, then join a clan that is willing to help you learn boss mechanics. 

1 hour ago, Copperfield said:

A good tool will always be abused by crappy people. Pugs will just be more annoying, but try your best anyway. I feel especially bad for those who are clanless though.

I don't think it can be abused much. Say if you were doing certain mechanic that requires you to stop dps and you get flamed by a toxic player. All you had to do is remind him or her that you were doing said mechanic. If a toxic fm player flames you for not doing as much damage as him than all you have to do is say the fm class does a lot more dps than other classes, again problem solved. And honestly things like these are well known already so there should be little to no flaming going on. People in the party would be well aware of how certain situations would effect the dps meter.

20 minutes ago, Executionz said:

Your perception of elitists is way off... the reason why we ask for high AP in 4 mans is because we have lives and we don't want to spend 1 to 2 hours in a 4 man, when most 4 mans can be done in 20-30 minutes with a good group.  I am a husband and father of 3 children and I work a full time and a part time job, so I work anywhere between 60 to 70 hours a week.  If you want to learn a dungeon and not be in fear of getting kicked, then join a clan that is willing to help you learn boss mechanics. 

I'm not sure how this relates to me. I have no trouble with boss mechanic and i have 622ap which is more then enough for all contents and i also have a guild that i do 4 man mast with often. Also my post has nothing to do with why elitists demand high ap in cross. It was to merely point out that elitist aren't going to flame people because they understand the situations with mechanic, grabbing, certain classes etc.

5 minutes ago, MasterBlaster said:

I don't think it can be abused much. Say if you were doing certain mechanic that requires you to stop dps and you get flamed by a toxic player. All you had to do is remind him or her that you were doing said mechanic. If a toxic fm player flames you for not doing as much damage as him than all you have to do is say the fm class does a lot more dps than other classes, again problem solved. And honestly things like these are well known already so there should be little to no flaming going on. People in the party would be well aware of how certain situations would effect the dps meter.

I'm not sure how this relates to me. I have no trouble with boss mechanic and i have 622ap which is more then enough for all contents and i also have a guild that i do 4 man mast with often. Also my post has nothing to do with why elitists demand high ap in cross. It was to merely point out that elitist aren't going to flame people because they understand the situations with mechanic, grabbing, certain classes etc.

I wasn't referring to your post... I'm just referring to all the "elitist" posts I have been seeing in general here lately...

DPS will be so badly abused it is going to make this community now seem sugar sweet.    A DPS may have its place for individuals to be able to establish their damage etc BUT there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever for any player to know what damage another player does.  And as for NCsoft saying they are putting it in because the community wants it they obvsiously have no math skills because every thread ever created about it has been won by the players NOT wanting a DPS meter.

Just another reason to make Revelation look a whole lot more attractive :D

In another game I played, both the build in stats leaderboard after a wz match, and the fan-made software for PvE runs  would display all stats, i.e. protection and healing, and threat, etc. I get it that BnS is not a trinity game, but I would be interested in the whole suit of stats rather than the DPS alone. 

My other question is if that DPS meter can be activated for parsing on the dummy or running solo content, because well, the best way to correct your rotation is practicing a static parse done in ideal conditions, then trying to lose as little DPS as possible under the movement and dungeon conditions. 

Lastly, can the logs be uploaded, with a parse recorded so the rotation so it can be analysed. I know that I misunderstood a description of my rotation in another game, but knowing that my parse was falling way short, I've posted it, and within 5 minutes I had three people pointing exactly what was wrong. 

Finally, will there be enough information sharing to understand the scaling of the DPS with the stats level. Again, in a trinity game, when the gear is very simply tiered, you really have a number for 'expected' DPS in your specific gear set. In BnS, well, in the 500 AP you will never match the guys in maxed out gear with maxed out soulshields and the HM skills, but that doesn't mean it is not perfectly fine, and there is nothing wrong with your rotation per se.  

If 500 AP is generally just fine to finish the Cold Storage with flying colors, will it still be okay after the DPS meter comes in, or you will have to hit a dummy parse for a specific target to join?

Tbh, I have already decided not to do group PvE save for the Cold Storage I need for my HM skill, but having it for dummy parses would be good if it was more than just DPS.

I am a bit sad because I went to BnS to get away from the parses and 30 min practices on the dummy before each run and concerns about the hps and the effective hps, and all that jazz.... It was fun while it lasted.

The only thing the DPS meter will be used by players who have these ultra high APs in demeaning and denigrating players that do not have what the acceptable AP levels these players deem necessary to run with them. It will happen. It always happens. Anyone that says otherwise is only lying to themselves. The exact same thing happened in SWTOR's PvP community when it came to have complete BiS level 2 gear or Ops raiders that wouldn't allow players to join a party because they lacked a few pieces of advanced end game gear. It will be a tool used to troll other players, to mock them, and to alienate them.

16 minutes ago, Cherish said:

DPS will be so badly abused it is going to make this community now seem sugar sweet.    A DPS may have its place for individuals to be able to establish their damage etc BUT there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever for any player to know what damage another player does.  And as for NCsoft saying they are putting it in because the community wants it they obvsiously have no math skills because every thread ever created about it has been won by the players NOT wanting a DPS meter.

Just another reason to make Revelation look a whole lot more attractive :D

15 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

In another game I played, both the build in stats leaderboard after a wz match, and the fan-made software for PvE runs  would display all stats, i.e. protection and healing, and threat, etc. I get it that BnS is not a trinity game, but I would be interested in the whole suit of stats rather than the DPS alone. 

My other question is if that DPS meter can be activated for parsing on the dummy or running solo content, because well, the best way to correct your rotation is practicing a static parse done in ideal conditions, then trying to lose as little DPS as possible under the movement and dungeon conditions. 

Lastly, can the logs be uploaded, with a parse recorded so the rotation so it can be analysed. I know that I misunderstood a description of my rotation in another game, but knowing that my parse was falling way short, I've posted it, and within 5 minutes I had three people pointing exactly what was wrong. 

Finally, will there be enough information sharing to understand the scaling of the DPS with the stats level. Again, in a trinity game, when the gear is very simply tiered, you really have a number for 'expected' DPS in your specific gear set. In BnS, well, in the 500 AP you will never match the guys in maxed out gear with maxed out soulshields and the HM skills, but that doesn't mean it is not perfectly fine, and there is nothing wrong with your rotation per se.  

If 500 AP is generally just fine to finish the Cold Storage with flying colors, will it still be okay after the DPS meter comes in, or you will have to hit a dummy parse for a specific target to join?

Tbh, I have already decided not to do group PvE save for the Cold Storage I need for my HM skill, but having it for dummy parses would be good if it was more than just DPS.

I am a bit sad because I went to BnS to get away from the parses and 30 min practices on the dummy before each run and concerns about the hps and the effective hps, and all that jazz.... It was fun while it lasted.

2 minutes ago, DamnedYankee said:

The only thing the DPS meter will be used by players who have these ultra high APs in demeaning and denigrating players that do not have what the acceptable AP levels these players deem necessary to run with them. It will happen. It always happens. Anyone that says otherwise is only lying to themselves. The exact same thing happened in SWTOR's PvP community when it came to have complete BiS level 2 gear or Ops raiders that wouldn't allow players to join a party because they lacked a few pieces of advanced end game gear. It will be a tool used to troll other players, to mock them, and to alienate them.

I honestly don't think it can be abused or at least not to the extend that people are making it out to be. I was a rogue in WoW and my guild is pretty elitist i would say. And they didn't flame me for doing less damage then mages and hunters etc because they understand that a rogue isn't suppose to do that much damage compared to some of the other classes. Same thing would apply here in BNS. And high ap players can't really flame you because if you're ap is 400 then people would expect you to do around 400 ap worth of damage, if you're ap is 500 than you'll be expected to do around 500 ap worth of damage. People won't flame a 500ap for not doing 600ap worth of damage. And as long as you try, you won't get flamed. If you try, you'll still do a decent amount of ap even if its not professional damage, it'll be high enough to not get flamed.

7 minutes ago, MasterBlaster said:

I honestly don't think it can be abused or at least not to the extend that people are making it out to be. I was a rogue in WoW and my guild is pretty elitist i would say. And they didn't flame me for doing less damage then mages and hunters etc because they understand that a rogue isn't suppose to do that much damage compared to some of the other classes. Same thing would apply here in BNS. And high ap players can't really flame you because if you're ap is 400 then people would expect you to do around 400 ap worth of damage, if you're ap is 500 than you'll be expected to do around 500 ap worth of damage. People won't flame a 500ap for not doing 600ap worth of damage. And as long as you try, you won't get flamed. If you try, you'll still do a decent amount of ap even if its not professional damage, it'll be high enough to not get flamed.

Any tool that shows what other players are doing will in fact invite abuse and be used just as I described. I've seen in happen in some form or fashion in 8 different MMOs I've played or play in. It will be used to abuse players who do not measure up to come kind of preconceived narrative by other players.

6 minutes ago, MasterBlaster said:

Guild is a guild. 

The leaderboard popping up after the engagement though has a depressing effect. I've spent a lot of time trying to hit 2 mln total heals or 4 mln total heals or 4K HPS or 5K DPS on a dummy. I've also seen warzones degenerating into DPS farms instead of playing, where people would not off-heal or off-taunt to save a mate in order to keep DPS high. 

I came to BnS to cast flashy spells, play short dungeons with no wait thru the fast x-server queues and not worry about the 4-block rotations made up from 36 spells all carefully keybind from 1 to B, Y and H included & 6 targeting options with tab-targeting, and simply have fun. I had it for a bit while the green and blues were still popular. I also was lucky enough to run 24Ms a few times before they died. 

But now all the fun stuff is gone, only the 'serious business' remains, and the only place left for just having fun are the Arenas. DPS-meter is just an expression of the direction the game has taken and the choices it made. 

As for the random strangers on the internet exhibiting the understanding and forbearance coupled with the acknowledgment of someone "really trying" along with being non-judgmental and willing to accept of the others' shortcomings with a smile and help out in a way that the help can be accepted gratefully... there are players like that. They are true gaming elite. And very rare. 

59 minutes ago, MasterBlaster said:

About a year ago I finally decided I would give WOW a go and see what all the hype was about.  Level 17 and a total noob to dungeons in odd bits and pieces of gear I had picked up.  Entered the dungeon and half way through had the rest of the party screaming at me because I was a bloody leech and not doing enough damage.  They of course were all vets to the game and had all this elite gear they could dress their lowbies in.  I finished the dungeon and logged out of the game and have never logged back in.

So yeah I totally agree that elitists wont abuse the DPS meter ..... NOT

I am one of the very lucky in that I play in a clan full of totally awesome people who wont give a damn about the DPS meter.  And for my sake that is really awesome because I play from Australia with a 250 avg ping.  IF the elitists wanted a dps meter so they could tell THEIR damage why do they need to know other peoples? 

ONLY REASON I CAN SEE IS SO THAT IT CAN CAUSE GRIEF TO PEOPLE WHO WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE ENJOYED THE GAME.

4 hours ago, MasterBlaster said:

For the DPS Meter, the pros far outweight the cons. Most of the people's main concern are that *Elitists* would flame them for not doing enough damage. This is simply not true cause even elitists understands that certain classes like FM would do a lot more damage then other classes and certain classes might grab. do mechanic, melee, other situations etc things that effect the dps meter. Elitists understands the game enough to know that all those would effect the dps meter. If someone in your party says *lol you suck you dps is low* even tho you were doing certain mechanic, grab, etc then that isn't called a elitists. Thats called a troll or someone that doesn't understand the game and honestly only a very very low percent of the playerbase would be like this with the DPS meter.

The other point is this could eventually lead to the ban of all leechers/bots. This is probably the biggest reason why we need a DPS meter. With the DPS meter in the game. If someone is leeching, there damage would probably be extremely low or non existent. The DPS meter could keep track of this and after a long period of time. It could add up all the dungeon runs and calculate whether this is a bot or a leecher.

This could help people do and master different rotations. Sure there are static training dummies in mushin tower but with the dps meter, you can test and see your damage in a actual battle instead of just fighting a dummy thats standing still.

Bunch of other reasons. Basically the pros outweight the cons.

Apparently have not played other MMO's with DPs meters here and have no idea what you are talking about. You think people are elitist now? Add a DPS meter.

Um, yeah...ever hear of Wildstar? They had dps meters. My old guild would call people out and demand to know why you weren't doing the damage they thought you ought to be doing.  I ran a dungeon ONCE with them. And my performance of course was less than stellar as I'd never been in there before. After that? I was a social outcast. Seriously, they never really spoke to me afterward. 

After certain professions were nerfed and they knew those professions couldn't do the damage they didn't want those in the dungeon runs and would kick people.

DPS meters....bad.   : / 

3 hours ago, MasterBlaster said:

Just to make one thing clear, i am not a elitist myself. I don't care what ap people are at when i pug. But all im saying is that not even elitists would flame someone for not doing a godlike amount of damage cause they know the game well enough to know about all the situations involving grabing, mechanic, melee etc etc.

I am not particularly against the DPS meter, I can see the pros and cons for it, however you speak as if you have never even heard of an elitist, as if the words bully, troll, god complex, and toxic mean nothing. The words "they will understand" cannot be attached to an elitist. You do realize that an elitist is a person who feels elevated above others as if their kind are superior to all others. Elitist doesn't mean someone belonging to an elite. You can be an elite player and NOT be an elitist, and you can be a terrible player, but be an elitist.

As stated earlier, elitist have an ego problem. To keep their egos up they need to degrade and belittle somebody in anyway they can. They already do it with the AP. Why do you think they are suddenly going to become reasonable people just because they have a DPS meter and understand the mechanics. Go ask any healer from any game and let them tell you how understanding their team was when an elitist DPS dies b.c he can't dodge enemy attacks. You won't find a lot of stories about how understanding elitist are for a reason.

3 hours ago, Emma Frost said:

Found a low dpser right here 

lol I keep rereading my post and no matter how I read it, I sure do sound salty. xD

3 hours ago, SnugglesFairie said:

I like the idea of the dps meter, just to see how different rotations and skill builds stack up against each other.  But I can see it being abused too. I have been in other games where people used dps meters. Elitism was just crazy insane.  The bashing, the mocking, the discrimination of certain classes, calling people out, and a whole lot more. 

I can see this happening here.  The community for this game is already toxic. I am sure that plenty of people won't take into account things like lag,  bad ping, even different classes.  Some dungeons require mechanics which means that it isn't just about the damage done. So those that do the CC'ing or have certain spec'ed skills for those mechanics are probably going to be on the lower damage scale.  I personally use a controller now, due to health issues.  So I can see my dps will probably be lower than when I could use keyboard. I am sure I will get bashed for it too LOL!

A good idea in theory, but many games have regretted, blocked, or removed dps meters. And many of these games had no where near the level of toxic community as BnS.

I agree, the idea does sound good on paper, but realistically as you said, it wouldn't go well for the already dying community. 

2 hours ago, Executionz said:

Nobody said you specifically were an elitist. 

2 hours ago, MasterBlaster said:

I wish the world was as rose colored and breathtaking as you make it sound...But its not. Again, I am not against the idea, but realistically speaking, based on this community now and how they handle the smaller things like character viewing, it will just make things worst.

Again the bs about get better with the meter or test rotations lmaooooooo the failed argument.

I will say agsin 

Example: sin 2 builds dark n ligjtning(lmb+rmb some f n stacking poison) or rb+f n 4 

What to improve with meter?

Fm burn build:apply burn n then lmb rmb 2.

Everyone knows their rotation

Everyone watched vids about their class n whats best.

So plz stop the bs this argument is plain crap.

Just use another argument.

Fyi if u need dps meter to get gud lmao ur so bad at finding a proper excuse to promote ur ego.

Then again it will be fun wrecking u with my sin or my fm in dps terms(sin 522 fm 550)

Get ready for the hall of fame thread with high gear ppl not doing enough damage fun times.

Ps

My problem isnt with dps meter but with the argument .

Just to be clear.

If u need a valid argument for dps meter pm me n ill tell u but plz those above are bs lmao

Archived