Jin Male or Female

Choco Wack

18 minutes ago, Brand X said:

To be fair, the story line seems to suit the young hero over the old, soon to die of old age type.  I think you even get called young a few times in the storyline.

It's like in TOR.  Sure, you can make someone older looking, but the story lines treat you like 18-25 :p

The one recurring motive I saw in a thread when people described their game adherence was that they truly like their character. So If a young protagonist is uncomfortable, no need to force it.

btw, different origin stories in swtor have different aged protagonist, with the smuggler, trooper and bounty hunter likely being the oldest, and consular - the youngest.

Your character look also can match the ending of the story, rather than the beginning, as if you look back at it. If you start in early to mid twenties, depending on your perception of the passage of time, going towards thirties and forties is fine.

as well, there is no origin story for the cricket. It is not unusual for someone who's lost a lot in a war to try to find a refuge in a monastic life, or for people whose familial duties are fulfilled to do the same. This can place a person of any age on the path the game takes.

13 minutes ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

Well, depend on if you want to be 'suitable" in the story or not. If you go that way, then your character should have a innocent and youthful look at first, then at the end of Act 4, you should use a ticket to change the look into something more mature and life-experienced, to suit a character has who mastered all of Hongmoon Arts and become a Master to succeed the school..

Meanwhile, many people just want to have fun with their character appearance regardless of what the story treats them. Who care if you look even older to Master Hong himself, or has the eyes of a natural-born killer, or happens to look like a weird stick with afro?

I don't know.  It's been maybe 4 years from start to current story line ending?  That doesn't mean one has to look older.

However, all I said was, if one wanted to suit the story line.  Sure, you can make you character look like a joke of a character or a hobbit or what have you all you want :p

I've seen plenty of characters that would've killed Jin Soyeon just by her looking at them LOL

Edit:
Also just adding to the age discussion, when you're being trained at the Hongmoon school, you're the youngest student out of the bunch. In the original Korean, you are called "Maknae" (not the stupid "Cricket" that NCwest made it -.-), which is a term used for the youngest sibling or often the youngest member of a group. So for actual roleplay purposes, that part is not up for discussion xD

But of course you make your character however you want. It's all about your vision and how you want to play.

9 minutes ago, Brand X said:

I don't know.  It's been maybe 4 years from start to current story line ending?  That doesn't mean one has to look older.

However, all I said was, if one wanted to suit the story line.  Sure, you can make you character look like a joke of a character or a hobbit or what have you all you want :p

It could be longer than 4 years. There are no obvious timeline markers on the current story. It involves travel across continents, troop movements and mastering of complex skills. There are a few points in the story that may have the whole "nothing much had happened in a year while cricket recuperated and build up his/hers skills"

and, again, he period allows the characters as diverse as an orphan of fourteen and a noblewoman in her forties moving to start a monastic life of solitude after the heirs are all born and settled. The origin story is very open to interpretation.

15 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

I've seen plenty of characters that would've killed Jin Soyeon just by her looking at them LOL

Edit:
Also just adding to the age discussion, when you're being trained at the Hongmoon school, you're the youngest student out of the bunch. In the original Korean, you are called "Maknae" (not the stupid "Cricket" that NCwest made it -.-), which is a term used for the youngest sibling or often the youngest member of a group. So for actual roleplay purposes, that part is not up for discussion xD

But of course you make your character however you want. It's all about your vision and how you want to play.

Hooo studying Korean. You're not mistaken with the translation. The game is actually based in Korean culture, that is how we 'see' it (Kr view).

Changing the game means changing the culture. 

11 minutes ago, Winner said:

Hooo studying Korean. You're not mistaken with the translation. The game is actually based in Korean culture, that is how we 'see' it (Kr view).

Changing the game means changing the culture. 

Myself and many many many many others fought long and hard about the westernizing of the story and other changes they made to remove and "hollywoodize" the game. But I don't want to get into that rant now. It was miserable and I've never been so angry or passionate over a game in my life. How dare they mess with culture .....

Anyway, I play the game in Korean with the Korean voice pack. So I never had to experience the disaster NCwest created with the English voiceover. I can understand enough Korean to only use the subtitles for a general reference if needed (and also know when the English is outright wrong - which is often)
I love the game and story as it was originally created and I won't have anything other than that =)

5 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

Myself and many many many many others fought long and hard about the westernizing of the story and other changes they made to remove and "hollywoodize" the game. But I don't want to get into that rant now. It was miserable and I've never been so angry or passionate over a game in my life. How dare they mess with culture .....

Anyway, I play the game in Korean with the Korean voice pack. So I never had to experience the disaster NCwest created with the English voiceover. I can understand enough Korean to only use the subtitles for a general reference if needed.
I love the game and story as it was originally created and I won't have anything other than that =)

It's fine with me that they changed a bit of the culture it's why I play NA version. Playing the NA version though made me a side-character only, it's hard to adapt. Ha. Not regretting it. 

25 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

It could be longer than 4 years. There are no obvious timeline markers on the current story. It involves travel across continents, troop movements and mastering of complex skills. There are a few points in the story that may have the whole "nothing much had happened in a year while cricket recuperated and build up his/hers skills"

and, again, he period allows the characters as diverse as an orphan of fourteen and a noblewoman in her forties moving to start a monastic life of solitude after the heirs are all born and settled. The origin story is very open to interpretation.

I was using the rescue of the baby and seeing them aged at the end of the current story line.

2 hours ago, Brand X said:

I was using the rescue of the baby and seeing them aged at the end of the current story line.

Good catch, I forgot about the kid. Oh, well.

To be honest, Cricket as obnoxious as it is at every turn, imo is better than the Little One of the Korean version mentioned above, as it leaves the wiggle room for something you want to play rather than yet another orphan of eighteen years of age. It also creates a better world when the characters are diverse, as the other players create the population around you, and when they are all too similar or hard to place in the setting it's a bit of a let down. Ctrl+F is always there, of course, but I always hope for more visual interest added. And, well, more males.

8 hours ago, DomiSotto said:

Good catch, I forgot about the kid. Oh, well.

To be honest, Cricket as obnoxious as it is at every turn, imo is better than the Little One of the Korean version mentioned above, as it leaves the wiggle room for something you want to play rather than yet another orphan of eighteen years of age. It also creates a better world when the characters are diverse, as the other players create the population around you, and when they are all too similar or hard to place in the setting it's a bit of a let down. Ctrl+F is always there, of course, but I always hope for more visual interest added. And, well, more males.

Cricket.  Little One.  Doesn't bother me.  Not sure it says we're orphans, just that we'd been at the school for three years and had been the fastest most awesome of learners (may be that's why the character is naive on everything else :p).

Something that might help more Jin males get made is opening more classes to the Jin.  I know some hate to hear it, but normal human tends to be the favorite race in most games.  Maybe just Force Master.

Archived