Desto or Fm

spongemike

Assuming both are equal gear? Which character is better overall?

FM is range easy to play, good dps, have several race to pick and looks sexy. Downside is that dps is boring, expected to save party memebers, weapons looks bad,  too many FM's around.

Desto hugh HP pool, sexy looking axe, bring good support, good in pvp. Downside dps is lacking, only one race, dps rotation is boring, doesn't have much life saving skills, melee so is harder to play.

Can't really decide......

FM is not easy to play. PvE is the same as any other class. PvP Fm is one of the hardest to master. How is one of the best dps class in the game boring? Tell me one class that doesn't use the same or similar rotations every time, every day?

What i like about FM is the flexibility we have to adapt to the situation. Fire for damage. Ice for heal and support. I do agree weapons looks like crap. The reason as to why there many FMs is that you can build your dps really quick and get contribution point toward the kill if you are doing ssp.

The only downside is that people expect absolutely the best from you and if you fail people are quick to call you names, noob, etc. You are so good that you can compensate for other players inability to play the game.

Destroyer, i love that hp, i aggre with sexy looking gons and axe. that 6 sec grab is a blessing for the party and i so hate that stupid typoon with stun skill in faction wars or pvp. They do have decents dps and yes melee is harder that ranged. But they have good crowd control.

What about Soul Fighter since is a mix of ranged and melee? or Scumoner? xD

Well I have a lvl 50 FM and desto. Fm have way better gear but I find it pretty boring. I mean I don't get hit much in range, I can save my ass with lots' of life saving skills, I pull aggro form tanks all the time that I have dumb down my dps (in pugs mostly), I have to save other party members if they screw up. I can do good dps half asleep (is true I was pretty tired one time and doing dailys couldn't keep my eyes open so I just spam what I can anc still got aggro).

Desto is a whole different ball game. I have to watch I do, SS out if AoE's, when to CC, have to actually try to do good dps and I have very few lfew saving skills.

I didn't say SF coz it will take too long and too much grinding to get up to decent gear.

If you made both and you find one boring, I think you have your answer. 

Personally, I don't think destroyer offers that much to a party though in comparison to other classes. 

Also, if you pull aggro as an fm from the tanks. You can just tank yourself on your fm. I personally don't like it when fm's pull aggro from me simply because it looks to me that they don't know both range and melee mechanics and insta die once they get aggro. But, I've met a bunch of fm's who are used to tanking and sometimes want to tank (or don't mind tanking). 

Also, an fm is a busy body in some dungeons. 

For example, in cold storage, the range have to attack the robot planes immediately when they wake and kite them around the whole time so that the planes don't hit the boss and cause flash bangs. If a plane hits the cold storage, you can frost sheath the party to help everyone avoid it. All of this while maximizing your dps. 

I think all classes can be busy bodies though. So if you think fm is boring, then pick des. 

3 hours ago, Shelly said:

Personally, I don't think destroyer offers that much to a party though in comparison to other classes. 

destroyers bring 3 stuns 2 kds and a 8 second grab which procs challenger soul sheilds and that isnt contributing to the team?  On top of that they have incredible damage output if played right and can immune sheild anyone that is ressing... FM is mindless high consistent damage output with no cast times... if you like dungeons destroyer if you want to live in ssp FM

@tubby I didn't say they don't contribute, I said compared to other classes, they contribute less. As in, mechanic wise they are limited in their role. And fms have a double knockdown and double stun too.

Mechanic wise, they do the range mechanics in cold storage and any other dungeon with range mechanics. They shield in yeti and awk necro cruxes and waves. They shield with divine veil for less annoying time. They can grab near dead allies to a safe spot, just like Des can carry near dead people. Summoner's can also give chi restoration invincibility to party members like des. And summoner's have way more cc. They can iframe the whole party. Can be a partial tank. Heals. They can all tank. Pretty much every class can tank when good enough. Fm's can actually do a lot. It's just a lot of them tend to do nothing. 

@shelly the mechanic in cold storage never really is used and i rarely see anyone getting a peirce buff.. for yeti the mechanic is to actually throw fireballs on ice... summoners give chi restoration and can tank but will be having a huge nerf soon... what im saying is melee are by far and away best choices for dungeons ranged is more of i sit back and dps and worry about nothing... the destroyer grab is 1 of the most useful things in the game and i dont think many would disagree because of the immense damage put out during the grab for 8 seconds on a 16 sec cd

3 hours ago, Tubby said:

@shelly the mechanic in cold storage never really is used and i rarely see anyone getting a peirce buff.. for yeti the mechanic is to actually throw fireballs on ice... summoners give chi restoration and can tank but will be having a huge nerf soon... what im saying is melee are by far and away best choices for dungeons ranged is more of i sit back and dps and worry about nothing... the destroyer grab is 1 of the most useful things in the game and i dont think many would disagree because of the immense damage put out during the grab for 8 seconds on a 16 sec cd

As a melee the grab is weird, I have a hard time hitting the enemy for some reason so the character just wont attack it (same thing when LBD holds), hopefully that gets fixed.

Your "immense damage put out during the grab" isn't really that immense imo. I say this because while you are holding the enemy, you yourself are not DPSing. So the extra damage the other classes do will make up for the Destroyer's DPS loss. Also IMO, I think the better class to do a grab would be a KFM since they are a tank class and dont outperform DPS to a DPS class. 

My opinion: 

DPSing isnt boring on a FM its actually very fun. I thought it was super easy at first when I made my FM I was just pew pewing everything and didnt read my skills. But after I hit lv 50 I started to understand the class and that is when you can maximize the DPS. A lot of FM do not use the full potential of a FM. As a FM you will need to learn when to use sheath, veil for pty, crowed control, AOEs, and your 2x Stun/KD/Daze if needed, or parry. A lot of parties want a FM because they bring so much to the table. 

Destroyer I really liked to PVP with it. I loved to grab things and punch the hell out of it. I'm not really good at ani-cancelling with LMB/RMB on a destroyer which is where most of its damage comes from so I dont use it anymore. 

So for me, I chose FM over a destroyer since I found it more fun to use. 

Keep in mind i am not biased towards FMs, I main a SIN and prefer melee classes over ranged since its way more interactive when fighting. 

34 minutes ago, devildawg said:

. Also IMO, I think the better class to do a grab would be a KFM since they are a tank class and dont outperform DPS to a DPS class. 

i lost all respect for you at this statement and im sure every other kfm did too

Destroy is fun since a lot of its skills are fun to use as well as to watch. Very..."I punch your face off" feeling. I like the pick up and throw it around like toys as well as stick the boss to the end of the axe and throw it like a baseball bat. FM just...shoots no fun animation to watch.

A lot of people say destroy is boring because they LMB and RMB in most situation. As for FM, it requires a bit more ESPECIALLY when you steal agro from the tank. Trust me, FM can steal agro from tank easily so if you don't practice solo or kiting, you will be dead :)

I have both classes and I find both FM and Des equally amusing to use. It's just me. I, however, choose to level my FM first just because it's easier to farm SSP on a ranged char /shy

Each of them has their unique fighting style. They both can be mindlessly DPS as long as the boss is busy with someone else of course. Both can tank as long as you know your class well; however, it's more fingers work for FM.

22 minutes ago, Tubby said:

i lost all respect for you at this statement and im sure every other kfm did too

LOL, like i care what you think xD KFM is a tank with 2nd to lowest DPS, so it makes more sense for a Destro to DPS rather than stand and hold. 

4 minutes ago, devildawg said:

LOL, like i care what you think xD KFM is a tank with 2nd to lowest DPS, so it makes more sense for a Destro to DPS rather than stand and hold. 

you say kfm dps is so low yet just look at the tower ratings there is only 1 FM in top 100 and 3 in the top 250 i stand by my statement destroyer dungeons FM SSP

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

you say kfm dps is so low yet just look at the tower ratings there is only 1 FM in top 100 and 3 in the top 250 i stand by my statement destroyer dungeons FM SSP

Not sure what the tower has to do with DPSing but, your are entitled to your opinion, just like I am mine :)

Anyways the OP wanted people's opinions for FM or Destroyer so hopefully these opinions will help in their choice. 

Archived