New Player, Persuade me!

Nabzie

So i am an ex-Tera player and I have stopped playing MMOs for a while now. There was a lot of hype about B&S and now I'm on vacation so i'm thinking of giving it a try. Why should i try this out? Anything that you love about B&S, please share it with me! Also things I'm looking for are below so you can let me know if i'll be disappointed or not.

-Huge PvP battles frequently (Clan vs Clan, Guild vs Guild) etc.

-Fun Dungeons to do

-Not heavily Pay to Win though i realise that most of the F2P are now about pay to win as that's the main way of making cash for the companies.

-Huge community (European) that can speak English. The game I was playing for a while was full of people from PH who didn't understand a word of English, so the social part became a bit dull.

-Not heavily grind based.

-Fun End Game.

Can't think of anything else for the moment. I'd love some feedback on the game and tips as a new player. Cheers

24 minutes ago, Nabzie said:

So i am an ex-Tera player and I have stopped playing MMOs for a while now. There was a lot of hype about B&S and now I'm on vacation so i'm thinking of giving it a try. Why should i try this out? Anything that you love about B&S, please share it with me! Also things I'm looking for are below so you can let me know if i'll be disappointed or not.

-Fun Dungeons to do

-Not heavily Pay to Win though i realise that most of the F2P are now about pay to win as that's the main way of making cash for the companies.

-Huge community (European) that can speak English. The game I was playing for a while was full of people from PH who didn't understand a word of English, so the social part became a bit dull.

-Fun End Game.

Can't think of anything else for the moment. I'd love some feedback on the game and tips as a new player. Cheers

• PvP is meh at best. Arena is exceptionally laggy and prone to speed hackers
  • Dungeons are to short so you get a lot of AFK leechers.
  • Some P2W, depends on who you ask. It isn't extreme like some games.
  • The community s mostly toxic(see numerous threads about it).
  • The grind is horrid due to how boring it is. Again the dungeons are way to short, 10-15 min average.
  • There is basically no 'end game' (ie raids, etc).
  • Crafting system is a travesty at best. You are basically paying an NPC to gather for you and make it.

Some of the things you listed are subjective. I came from Tera too and personally find the PVE content, pre-wonderholme, to be far more enjoyable than B&S PVE.

As for huge PVP battles, you'll be disappointed as it is pretty much non-existent in B&S. The majority of the focus for PVP is arena (1v1 and 3v3).

The Pay to Win topic has been debated numerous times with some believing this game is very P2W and others feeling that it is "Pay to Progress". Currently, In order to obtain the BIS equipment, you either need to devote a substantial amount of time to grinding mats or spending quite a bit of real money to obtain in game currency to buy the mats. I'll let you decide if that constitutes a P2W label or not.

As for the grind, I don't think it's bad for the initial levels (1-50). The grind increases exponentially after reaching 50 via gear upgrades, HM skills, and HM levels.

I personally only play the game to follow the story and for arena. I think there are better games out there for PVE content.

You can forget :

And :

Before pointing me as a hater, I really loved this game for its combat system. Over Tera (I miss trinity based gameplay though). I won't explain why I left it's all about NCWest and not the purpose of the topic. I just wanted to warn you about those 2 expectations (the game is really shit when it comes to mass content ( lag + memory leaks (framerate loss but it really depends on many factors about your computer, even some "big ones" have problems) and the grind is real in the endgame, if you hate to farm instancied dungeons, forget BnS, really). Plus the game is not newcomers friendly atm. Maybe it will be better around the 22nd of June because the arrival of a new class so low level areas will revive. Prices though... not sure because it will be mostly alts and it depends on how NCsoft will do the event tied to this arrival. We already saw some events which did make worse the inflation.

I won't comment on P2W. We don't have all the same tolerance and sometimes not the same definition.

Just give it a try, many forumers are disappointed of the game so don't trust it blindly, there are still many players who enjoy the game at their own pace. And find some friends, this helps A LOT. No problem with English, just pick the right server, some are not very populated but even so, most of important dungeons can be done in cross server (F8). Market and PvP arenas are cross server too.

Something positive to say is fighting the enemies in pve. For the most part they're going around with moves player classes use. You'll end up using most of your arsenal even against random mobs so it's not completely mindless tank and spank like other games have. The biggest downside is the over world bosses at end game. Notably black wyrm and soul stone plains where the massive amount of people causes massive slowdown due to unreal engine being bad for this type of game and because well bad servers/gameguard ruining your day.

Everything else has been mentioned really in the topic already. Over all you should probably pass on this game.

I'm an Ex-Tera Player, after soloing Darkan, i decided to come to blade and soul.

Tera has good combat system and normal graphic

Blade & Soul has good graphic and normal combat system

Economy.. both are bad but its okay, i kinda enjoyed blade & soul because their market is shared between servers and cross server has its own lobby section too. Tera... is kinda dead.. :/ Imperator set.. oh well, I love blade & soul, come blade and soul. brother

Basically, I only enjoy MMOs due to the pvp content that they offer because everything that PvE has to offer becomes repetitive at some point. It seems like the PvP in this game is pretty bad (1v1 and 3v3 are pretty boring tbh, i apologize if anyone of you actually ejoy that but it's not my thing). I don't know if leveling and then at 50+ regretting why i DLed this game, is worth it or not. Thanks a lot for the replies !

Look, this game is a big bag of mixed feelings. To be fair with you just try the game, since is f2p you don't have to pay in order to play the same so there is no excuse there. Lvl up a character i bet you, you will like the combat system right away. As any other game, this one is filled with issues but everyone has a different opinion. Sadly i cant give you a comparison with Tera since i never made it past lvl 10 in tera.

My suggestion for you is just to try the game and go from there and check you r ping in game from your task manager and if you can play this game at 20-100 ms then you have all the ingredients to enjoy this game if you don't mind other issues of course. 

When it comes to big pvp battles we have Faction pvp BLues bs Reds aka Ceruleans vs Crimsons. You fight for resources like soul stones, moonstones, prestige point used to upgrade your weapons and gear. This type of PvP is mostly non existent since most people joined the stronger side and it pretty imbalance. No matter what server you play on look for the stronger one for obvious reason. This is not GW2 WvW in any way. 

-Not heavily grind based...... Then don't play this game. In this game you don't use armor, you use soul shields with you can change and swap meaning that you can equip any outfit since they don't have stats. What you upgrade is your weapon and accessories. At end game you will need a shit ton of matts to upgrade so you will have to farm dungeon every day. It is a must in this game.

-Fun End Game.  Make up your choise, game does not have open pvp or faction pvp as we call it. End game is nothing more than farm farm and more farming. Single pvp 1vs1 and 3vs3 can get boring since most of the time you deal with bot anyways and for any esports will tournament have been terminated in na/ue due to lack of participation or viewers attention. Let me add also that any kind of pvp is highly dependent of HM levels, after lvl 50 you can get additional lvl that will grant you more skill points to spent on your build. SO  a lvl 50 hm1 is far more weaker than a lvl 50 hm 10 or hm15 which is the max at the moment. The exp required to get HM levels start in the millions of exp= heavily grind

I have played TERA for 3 years and if you went onto TERA forums and ask the same question you'd be getting the same answers as above (P2W, game broken, lag, fps problems yadda yadda)

Been playing BnS for two weeks now, had a blast leveling, queues are fast (EU Windrest), dungeon queues is cross-server, there's always people running around for OW PvP, there is 0 lag as the game has to be ultra responsive for combos and crap, have had 3 dcs in two weeks though. Apart from that the game runs smoothly on 120 fps, I'm sorry to hear that so many people have old Pentium II that can't run this game properly but I have a 2011 i5 which I'm downclocking to 2 GHz because the CPU is almost asleep, also I'm sitting behind a secondary router and my end is receiving 2 MB/s downstream max which is PLENTY for me to both be playing in high res lagfree AND streaming on 720p.

PvP is equalized 1v1 so prepare to get your ass handed to ya on a Silver plate, I do not know about 3v3 as I haven't tried it yet either, dungeons are fun, game is not pay2win, it is almost exactly the same shop as in TERA, cosmetics and Alkahest-like items or XP buffs - almost 1:1 copy honestly, costumes are pricey imo but unless you plan on becoming #1 PvE player you can just play PvP instead. Game is beautiful as *cricket* it has even more 'WOW, AMAZING!!!' effect on me than TERA back then. You are a little limited as roaming goes, game is a bit of a tunnel story-wise too, devs have done some questionable changes while localizing it was actually really obvious that something was wrong (no spoilers) so I looked it up on Google and found out about some drama regarding translating anyway.. I can recommend you try it. Choose Windrest as server if you're on EU, will be fun :) And then you decide.

I'm totally gonna throw some money at the shop asap

TERA NA is above NA BnS by a mile in almost every aspect.. but it's fun enough to kill some time and do something different.

• The combat system (spells fluidity and execution)  is somewhat better than TERA is where spaghetti code happens a lot on certain races with certain classes
  • The hotkeys mapping in BNS is way below TERA:

For example you cant bind your 4 or -5th mouse button.

the F key is set for talking to NPC, doing combos, advancing quest and joint attacks with ZERO ability to designate a separate key for each.

• Also the ability to trigger certain rotation from spells like TERA has does not exist in BnS
  • The UI is absolutely horrid in BnS. For example you cannot move the spells in the fixed bar from 1-4 (for example) to suit your style or spell rotation) like you can in TERA where you can drop the spell on the order you desire.
  • The AI of the bosses are very simple compared to TERA. You will find boss fights extremely unchallenging (at least at the current content). later on from what I have seen on streams the bosses have a lot more varied mechanics still... easy as hell compared to TERA (which even if it oversimplified many of the older dungeons the ai spell rotation for bosses is still better than the most challenging bosses here)
  • BnS has a horribad targeting system with 0 ability to cycle though mobs or targets (you can only do it via camera which is highly ineffective with large group of mobs/players)
  • The lyns > elins
  • The gear progression here is stupidly slow and grindy. Where in TERA older content and gear is made available and affordable (take for example in current patch gear is tier 10  best in slot, the gear tier 9 is made quite easy to achieve with a bit of grind )
    • in BnS in other words as newcomer you will have a crazy hard time to catch up with almost 0 chance to ever catch up your friends (unless they go afk for like 3 months or something)
  • The gear has no ilvl here so you will see a lot of ppl leaving a dungeon because they believe the party does NOT have enough Attack Power and this can get really frustrating and slow further your progression
  • Crafting system is worse than TERA or about the same.. anyway.
  • BnS has certain classes race locked similar to how TERA has.
  • Lvling is decently fast:  24 hrs where  tera is 4 hrs if you are boosted (maybe even less now with the new bosses) or probably 24 hrs if not.
  • TERA is a lot more social than BnS. BnS does not have a world chat, only a regional chat which is filled generally by bots spamming for gold. 
  • PvP wise BnS> TERA in terms of balance and competitive stand point . The pvp system is somewhat similar to TERA (dungeon based) with some open world pvp elements (you pick when you want to pvp by equipping a costume)

and ermm there is more but... yeah... too long. also Customer support+ community involvement TERA NA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BnS NA/eu

4 minutes ago, qq00pp said:

Been playing BnS for two weeks now, had a blast leveling, queues are fast (EU Windrest), dungeon queues is cross-server, there's always people running around for OW PvP, there is 0 lag as the game has to be ultra responsive for combos and crap, have had 3 dcs in two weeks though. Apart from that the game runs smoothly on 120 fps, I'm sorry to hear that so many people have old Pentium II that can't run this game properly but I have a 2011 i5 which I'm downclocking to 2 GHz because the CPU is almost asleep, also I'm sitting behind a secondary router and my end is receiving 2 MB/s downstream max which is PLENTY for me to both be playing in high res lagfree AND streaming on 720p.

Even with a 4.0 ghz 8 core processor and gtx 970 graphics with ram to spare for ages there are noticable lag spikes(even outside of big group stuff) and ridiculous slowdowns in the bigger group content. That's even with turning the graphics down the minimum to try and avoid it during group content. I noticed you mentioned EU where they either sprung for a server which wasn't garbage, have a better provider for far less ping or maybe you magically don't have the useless gameguard slowing you down. I'm speaking from experience in NA though.

2 hours ago, Nabzie said:

-Fun End Game.

If you consider the storyline "endgame" then that is fine and intriguing if you ignore some of the inconsistencies. It will draw you in, then let go of you, then drag you back with the force of a stampede. After that it is just endless and pointless grind until future story comes out really.

2 hours ago, Nabzie said:

-Fun Dungeons to do

-Fun End Game.

Dude, get out now!
Don't waste your time here, for real. A lot of people here are suffering. There are other games with decent quality/content than this cash grabber. Run, dude! RUN AWAY!

Since I haven't got to cap lvl content in here (50lvl HM2) I couldn't give a good comparison to Tera reguarding cap (where I've been playing since f2p came out). In a new player point of view thou, while Tera's actual game starts at cap, BnS does have low lvl content, and some of it is still relevant (crafting materials, outfits, soulstones) while in Tera low lvl content is totaly useless even for low lvl toons.

As for what you asked:

- Huge PvP battles frequently (clan vs Clan, Guild vs Guild) etc. - BnS doesn't have any of those. We have faction pvp, but since it's the best way to make gold, people avoid pvp and all join only one faction, instead of spliting the server's population for big PvP fights.

- Fun Dungeons to do. - Well yes, the first 10 times, but it gets old really quick.

- Not heavily Pay to Win (...) - paying cuts a few months of heavy grind, so we could say it's pay to win in a way. The main problem is that new players have almost no change to catch up without paying, or joining a big guild of people willing to help you out.

- Huge community (European) that can speak english. - I haven't checked EU side, but I'll guess that is the same with NA side: all chats are filled with gold seller spam. So finding people to talk to is way harder than any other game I've played (Lotro, GW2, Tera)

- Not heavily grind based. - Oh yeah, it's korean mmo, it have a freaking lot of grind.

- Fun End Game. - I really don't know. :3

PvP 1v1 are fun, but not really fair, as you may find people with secret techniques unlocked while you don't (or huge lvl diferences)... but I guess it's not suppoused to be fair.

Crafting system is casual players friendly. You just put your order and in some time you get the item you're crafting. You don't need to sit infront of a crafting brench and 'bot yourself' to higher tiers.

UI is horrible, but easy to fix it. Keybinding is horrible and no way to fix it.

In Tera, at any lvl, you just gather a bunch of mobs and oneshot them. In BnS you can get cced eaisly when fighting more than 3 mobs (on lvl).

Overall, BnS is fun cuz you don't need to get to cap to have something meaningful to do.

No.

-Fun Dungeons to do

Yes. To a point.

No. It's extremely p2w.

Yes.

Ahahahahahahahah hell no.

-Fun End Game.

No.

Hype about BnS?

Lol maybe back in 2014.

You're better off staying in Tera if you're not bored to death yet.

BnS is basically just a grindier version of Tera with more toxic community, more retarded game design and "supported" (if it can even be called that) by one of the worst MMO devs.

Idk if you realize this but driving away potential newcomers is one way to keep player base low aka publisher will care way less and milk the game until it's dry. So far the only negative experience I've had with BnS is this forum and some 30yo nerds complaining without reason. Get out of that basement.

4 minutes ago, qq00pp said:

Idk if you realize this but driving away potential newcomers is one way to keep player base low aka publisher will care way less and milk the game until it's dry. So far the only negative experience I've had with BnS is this forum and some 30yo nerds complaining without reason. Get out of that basement.

The publisher already doesn't care really. Someone asking about how the game is and how the publisher is handling things, deserves honest opinions. Even if those opinions may make them decide not to play. As for the last part of your sentence. You do realize petty attacks on those with a different opinion doesn't strengthen your argument right?

I started playing this game because of the graphic and up until this point, I'm still amazed with the graphic. 

After that, I really like the classes, so many compare to other games I've played with pretty skills. 

After that, I like skill combos, those short story clips & outfits 

Other than that, I want to quit lol. 

I will say this about BnS...the costumes are retardedly beautiful! Worlds better than any of my outfits in Tera; they're not even in the same league. I pop into BnS here and there to pick up any new free costumes (Act 4, Daily Dash, etc)

In my opinion, asking the question you've asked OP will only garner jaded opinions here on the forums. While each poster replying makes their points, it is how they see things. I have my own opinion about things in this game. However, it is not my place to convince you to play this game based on my view. Conversely, I would strongly recommend you play it and find out yourself if this game is worth you trying. Only you can make that decision based on what you see and do in this game.

Play the game, take it to the end through the entire story and then see if you want to continue. If you're entertained, enjoy how it plays, stay with it. Alternatively, if you are not entertained and find no joy after finishing the story and leveling to 50, then you have the answers you need. It is that simple.

It doesn't hurt anything to download and try the game since it's free.  But compared to TERA, I'd probably pick TERA.

The gathering and crafting systems in TERA are a little more in depth.  You can actually make your own stuff in TERA.  In B&S, you can only make the most basic of crafting mats with a single character.  It takes an army of crafters across all the professions to make anything decent in B&S.  Everything in B&S is on a timer too, so it can take a while to make the more advanced stuff.

TERA also has the shared bank while in B&S, each character has their own bank.  All of which need to be expanded separately with dragon pouches.

Combat felt similar in both games with a more action oriented approach.  The targeting in TERA requires you to have the crosshair over your target to land an attack.  The targeting in B&S is a little more soft target - just get the crosshairs close enough and the target will be picked.

I feel like B&S is a bit more grindy once you pass level 45.  But prior to that, both games feel about the same in terms of character progression.

The chibi animal race in TERA (Elins) is female only.  The chibi animal race in B&S (Lyns) can be either male or female.

In TERA, I never felt like there was a widening gap between new players and old players in the end game content.  In B&S, there is a feeling that the longer this game goes and the more advanced the end game characters become, the harder it will be for new players to catch up.

@Bezerko TERA used to be a lot of  grind before but they changed this policy like 1 + years ago. Now you can easily achieve a tier bellow gear (like tier 9 now) and it will be sufficient to do most of the dungeons. You will have to get tier 10 ONLY to do like 1 or 2 dungeon max (which are the Hard mode/nightmare). Rest of the content was made accessible for all.

Also they changed a lot of the mechanics. If before you had to endlessly farm the daily reputation with the guilds (like enlighten union, Jax trust.. etc) to get some accessories , that does not exist any more. You are given alternatives and ways to get accessories within the dungeons available.

• The way you get your secret Techniques (BnS equivalent)/ skill advancement has also been heavily simplified and made really affordable where any lvl 58-65 can que now for the 2 (new) dungeons and get what they need. If before in TERA it was actually quite complicated and the dungeons were actually hard and punishing ,  now it's easy and newcomers stand a chance. In BnS however is far more grindy and less likely to get it and a lot more costly as some of the skill advancements can only purchased from specific NPCs
  • The premium/ subscription differences is that TERA= commodity and doesnt offer a true edge over the non user where BnS is made  to widen the gap between premium and non premium.
  • The shop differences TERA vs BnS is that BnS offers materials to upgrade your gear. Something I was frowning upon on when i first saw this as it's a clear indication of Pay to win content being pushed + RNG boxes which do NOT exist in TERA to further widen the gap of wallet warriors vs ppl who dont pay.
  • The only way to get XP and lvl up is to do quests and main story (1-50). Mobs offer very little experience 200 xp approx at end game mobs when you need starting with HM3 over 1 mil xp. The bosses give close to no xp, there are no BAMS, dungeons hardly give xp but they drop xp charm fragments which gives 100k xp.
  • The gold you can get via quests and dailies is heavily nerfed compared to KR (for example). At lvl 50 strictly from dailies you can get around 10-13g?(somebody correct me if I am wrong) and based on luck and RNG you can get more by selling some of the loot + quest rewards. Put this in perspective with a weapon advancement costing starting with somewhere around 40g to hundred of gold to even thousands in current content.
  • the only game ive personally played where a weapon upgrade would put you below the attack power of the previous version. Lets say you currently have 273 at lvl 10 and you "upgrade" into next tier with 265 AP at lvl 1 and 281 at lvl 10. In other words the gear progression feels heavily underwhelming, at least to me.
  • you have ZERO possibility to kick somebody AFK in dungeon unless they are offline. The afk/bots in some of the dungeons is  frequent practice here unfortunately.
  • The loot cannot be restricted on class. It's anybody's game and ninja looting happens a LOT. Also you arent offered the possibility to randomly and equally split the loot within the party (as you can in TERA ). Also this is not possible as the loot number is often less than the party size. 

For example you get 4 perfumes and there are 6 ppl in party which basically mean either all bid or 2 give up.

Also BnS community is a tons more greedier and unlikely to share loot than TERA is. 

• Here the loot is bid upon and not dice based (tera) so you will see a lot of timess, 1 person gets all the loot or tries to and endless bidding wars.

it seems i came late but

- don't ask for advices on forum

- test yourself the game, it is f2p

- don't come here whining about stuff

objective opinion

- game is not newcomer friendly at this point

- game is not even alt friendly

- game is wallet friendly (black market even better if u look at some 720ap player now)

- game pve is nice (but ripetitive, but it is a moorpg)

- arena pvp is nice too

- game  is ranged-classes centered if u consider effort/reward .

as long as i can stay on par with content game is very good one. and i downloaded it for arena, then i looked at pve and focused on it almost exclusively.

Archived