TheLimNabu

How to make FM less squishy

I have some questions regarding FM. How is FM a tank? Mine is just way too squishy.

Remembered the place where there is a mushroom that randomly pull you out of nowhere, twin blader and predators sort of mobs? It's the top left area of the map along the way outside Altar of Champion, man, I almost died from heart attack at that particular place. My FM can just died from a few hits from them. At there, I've hit my bottleneck as I do not know how do I proceed.

Then, I just sit down eat dumpling after 2-3 mobs and clear my way from there and I hope my life as a FM would be better. But man...Boghon Hideout, the place where you get the earring or necklace breakthrough, can't really remembered that. The first time I tried solo-ed it, but wew man, FM too squishy. Then I duo with a level 34 BM, she took the right mage and I took the left mage, all was good but BAAAM, the mage respawn out of sudden. And same thing goes again, we both get wiped. Just wondering that if all the classes are suffering from the places I mentioned above? or just FM?

My FM is with the up-to-date gears and Blight soul shield, currently level 34 with 5.2k HP. I've checked already, even if I changed to the soul shield from Yehara, it at most give me about 1k more HP which doesn't help as each hits from the mobs took me about 20% of the HP. 

So, my question is, how do I make my FM less squishy? I've enough of these, I wanted to play Destroyer but looking at the threads regarding melee hard to farm for level 50 weapon mats, nevermind, I will just stick to ranged but man, I kept dying as a FM. When I solo boss, yes I did kite, X then LMB + RMB + 2 rinse and repeat. 5 embers then 1. X finish cd, rinse and repeat. But I just don't understand that some players meant FM as a tank when she's so squishy.

I knew that there are a lot of expert FM players out there as the server is mostly FM/WL/SM. So, expert advice, please and thank you.

Most classes, except for Summoner with their tanking cat, often has trouble soloing bosses with add spawn in lower level, especially if you have hing ping and has not yet used to play your class well, which is something that you want to do at lv50 instead of wasting time in lowbie areas.

The only place that makes melee classes cry in end-game is Soulstone Plains. As a melee, you can just farm dungeons for gold and buy soulstones and moonstones.

9 hours ago, TheLimNabu said:

But I just don't understand that some players meant FM as a tank when she's so squishy.

Wut?? FM was never meant to tank. Although, sometimes they have to to learn to tank because in later levels they deal so much damage that they steal aggro. The only classes considered to be true tanks are Kung Fu Master and Blade Master. So dun worry about if you can't tank as FM. That isn't your role xD

Anyway, what you're experiencing is fairly common because FMs are just squishy, period. You can get around this by getting soulshields that give HP (like those from Naryu Labyrinth...but that's a lvl 45 dungeon). For now you can try these suggestions:

- Add points to your Frost Fury skill. The F3, T3 branch recovers HP.

- Use Divine Veil when fighting against ranged mobs. Their attacks won't hurt as much.

*(F1, T4 recovers HP)

- Add one point to Frost Armor to recover HP on resist.

- Use your Q and E!

- Get Cinderlands Valor Soulshield set for more HP (at cost of CRIT, though. Fuse CRIT soulshields to compensate)

OR get your character to Tomb of Exiles and farm for the soulshields there (you'll need unsealing charms though).

One important thing that helped me survive was freezing my opponent. Your RMB inflicts 1 stack of Chill. 3 stacks and your opponent is frozen for 5 seconds. Then you pewpew away and they can't do anything about it if you keep up the stacks >:D

*Also prevents kiting so no accidental luring of other mobs

Welp, that's all I got. Hope it helps.

Edited by senpaisan
more info

Just now, senpaisan said:

Wut?? FM was never meant to tank. Although, sometimes they have to to learn to tank because in later levels they do some much damage that they steal aggro. The only classes considered to be true tanks are Kung Fu Master and Blade Master. So dun worry about if you can't tank as FM. That isn't your role xD

Anyway, what you're experiencing is fairly common because FMs are just squishy, period. You can get around this by getting soulshields that give HP (like those from Naryu Labyrinth...but that's a lvl 45 dungeon). For now you can try these suggestions:

- Add points to your Frost Fury skill. The F3, T3 branch recovers HP.

- Use Divine Veil when fighting against ranged mobs. Their attacks won't hurt as much.

*(F1, T4 recovers HP)

- Add one point to Frost Armor to recover HP on resist.

- Use your Q and E!

- Get Cinderlands Valor Soulshield set for more HP (at cost of CRIT, though. Fuse CRIT soulshields to compensate)

OR get your character to Tomb of Exiles and farm for the soulshields there (you'll need unsealing charms though).

One important thing that helped me survive was freezing my opponent. Your RMB inflicts 1 stack of Chill. 3 stacks and your opponent is frozen for 5 seconds. Then you pewpew away and they can't do anything about it if you keep up the stacks >:D

Welp, that's all I got. Hope it helps.

I agree that FM was never meant to tank; however, FM burn build just...take agro...

I got yelled at so many time on my FM because I drawn agro with my burn build and the BM or KFM could not keep the agro. Therefore, boss chases me, I kite, and they chase after the boss.

Just now, YamiKokennin said:

I agree that FM was never meant to tank; however, FM burn build just...take agro...

I got yelled at so many time on my FM because I drawn agro with my burn build and the BM or KFM could not keep the agro. Therefore, boss chases me, I kite, and they chase after the boss.

Ye, it's a struggle for us :/ I use a non-burn build.

Still took aggro in BSH. I was the lowest lvl there too.

Smh.

2 minutes ago, senpaisan said:

Ye, it's a struggle for us :/ I use a non-burn build.

Still took aggro in BSH. I was the lowest lvl there too.

Smh.

Maybe we all should start using ice build in group, and burn build for solo....

That finger works for ice build though...my hand would cramp! HAHA

10 minutes ago, YamiKokennin said:

That finger works for ice build though...my hand would cramp! HAHA

I swear I'm playing Mozart on my keyboard when on my FM xD

Edited by senpaisan

Xelo   
29 minutes ago, YamiKokennin said:

Yes, the FM is not a tank, and it is probably best to learn kiting as early as possible.

Which includes not moving more than necessary, so that the melees in your group do not have to chase after the boss.

Try using Q/E to evade through the boss (when he's not doing a circular attack) to keep him more in place.

If you SS away from him, get close as soon as possible again.

Laneera   
38 minutes ago, YamiKokennin said:

Why? Kiting is easy and most bosses stand still for many of their attacks anyway. When I pull aggro I can keep the boss fairly stationary with balanced Q and E usage.

ZackGTie   

We are not tanks however we can kite the boss, keep up with Q/E tab and V frost mode. Now you said you are lvl 34 and let me tell you that FM is really dependent on Skill point we need a lot to me it viable. My suggestions focus on lvling and get at least HM5. If don't like getting aggro then choose another class. We have the highest dps in the game and we deal a lot of damage therefore we get aggro most of the time. Also you can combine veil and tab to get full hp back as long as mobs are hitting you.

Then there is a war between burn build and ice build. I prefer burn damage since is not as slow and can definitely outperform ice build by far however  you will get aggro for sure. The other downside of the burn build is that you might run out focus really quick if done wrong. YOu need to learn how to anicancel and use your F to recover mana. Ani cancel alone can deal a lot of damage combined with your #1 and #2 spec into single target.