What would your dream MMO be like?

Kyrax

Is set in a bright exotic lore-rich setting with awesome artwork that does not in any way, shape or form resemble medieval Europe. I want to play in a verse that is populated by PCs and NPCs more unusual than elves in chain-mail bikini. I don’t want to ever strung another virtual bow in my life.

Has freedom to create a protagonist from a variety of species and allows to select gender, and the world that reacts to those selections quite often, making a play-through on a different class, species and gender a unique experience.

Is questing along the lines of spiritual and political problems, and the character’s self-discovery rather than against the Ancient Evil

Has entertaining dialogues for the actual story-telling and character development but generates the “kill 20 of this, and pick up 5 of that because….” without the burden of canvassing it in words.

Is build to adapt to the rapid advance in technology of the current world adapting the engine

Is intuitive in combat, learning the class intricacies and guides the progression clearly

Employs a very rewarding parallel play model more suitable for drop-and-play whenever in large groups with strangers without getting on anyone's nerves rather than over-emphasizing the instancing of the small raid groups & toxicity.

Finds subtle way to play on psychology and make it appealing to play in mixed groups of the leet and the average, so it's cooler to carry than to solo, and doing a carry in a quality way is rewarded

Employs the ways to promote a culture of recruitment and training of the new and the undergeared over fighting for the small pool of the veterans for the exclusive small-group content if it is retained

Makes gear/stuff acquisition period sufficient for gaining experience but not extended far beyond having fun while at it

Periodically updates the gearing and leveling curve to allow the pain-free integration

Has Account-based rather than character-based achievement, acquisition and storage

Place emphasis on lateral ways to have fun in the end-game that aim to be non-repetitive and more seasonal/periodic

Develops a PvP system that is minimally demeaning to a loser, while still rewarding a winner, and is appealing past the point of the crashed delusions of grandeur

I kindda would like to see a MMO that inherits ideas from Arcanum, Torment and Jade Empire….

1 hour ago, Kyrax said:

Stuff like owning a house, marriage, kids, etc

Oh, no, please no. I understand the owning a house part, but why marriage and kids? Don't we play games to get away from those? :P

1 hour ago, Kyrax said:

Mount pets like horses

Just want to add. I think the Windriding, Dragon Pulse, and Return Charms in B&S deserves a lot more credit than what they have got. I really like these capabilities for their convenience.

I also like the Wind Walking (or flying) skills. They look really cool. Though these seem to be more specific to eastern martial art themed games.

29 minutes ago, Yetan said:

Oh, no, please no. I understand the owning a house part, but why marriage and kids? Don't we play games to get away from those? :P

I agree. I love the romances in the video-games, but I would love them non-committal, and build into the plot to have that sort of fun, cool, tempestuous or rival relationships that has total awesomeness to it, not the oatmeal-like dialogues in a safe place about going on a date sometime or what color he likes. Also, please, different species :) This world has literally millions of human males, on my happy escapism time I want something out of the world and over the top!

Overall, I want the games that are MORE fun with clever, laugh-out-loud dialogues and plots, and as removed from the grim reality and realism as possible.

And give as little reason as possible to hate other players!

1 hour ago, ShandraManaya said:

- Blade & Soul or TERA combat (love the fact that there is no RNG stats in Tera such as accuracy, evasion, block rate, etc... Accuracy = you have to aim properly, evasion = you have to dodge properly, block rate = you have to block properly. The only RNG stat is crit rate).

- Blade & Soul graphic style but updated to current standards (so a lot more beautiful)

- Interesting PvE content with various difficulty & reward dungeons, difficult raids (up to 10 man maybe ?), interesting mechanics, boss fights 12min+ long with different phases, the kind of endgame PvE you get in FFXIV for example.

- Bring the holy trinity back ! but with possibility to choose the role you want with all classes like in WoW where a Paladin can choose between tank, heal and DPS, Warrior can choose between tank and DPS, etc... I think that the holy trinity is a must in order to build interesting PvE fights with engaging teamplay mechanics. No holy trinity means brainless fights with little to no mechanics and just dodge stuff and dps for everyone (hi BDO).

- Different PvP modes, battlegrounds 20vs20, 15vs15, 10vs10, arena with 3vs3, 2vs2, 1vs1, different kind of battlegrounds, some with objectives, more based on strategy, and some based on just killing people.

- Some kind of interesting and engaging open world PvP.

- Fair end-game gearing up system. No overly heavy grind required, but maybe a token system with a weekly cap like you can find in FFXIV. Way to catch-up for new arriving players after many patches to prevent them from having to struggle doing old dated content to be able to do the current end game.

- Distinction between PvP and PvE gear. PvP gear obtainable only with PvP, PvE gear obtainable only with PvE. This way, people who are just interested in PvP aren't forced to grind shitty-ass PvE to gear up, but their gear would be mostly based on PvP stats (such as bonus damage to other players, bonus defence against other players) which means that while their character would be powerful in PvP, they would be weak in PvE. But they shouldn't care since they don't want or even need PvE. Same for the PvE players; they'd get destroyed in PvP, but it's their choice to be PvE only players, and they shouldn't be forced to do PvP. The previously mentionned weekly cap idea could be used for PvP gear as well, permitting players who enjoy both playstyles to get both sets of gear, capping both PvP and PvE tokens every week (but would require more playtime to do so, obviously).

- Obligation to travel out in the open world to the entrance of the dungeon you want to queue for, that way the open world of the game wouldn't just be a hub and the game wouldn't feel completely instanced like most MMOs do. Don't put too much teleports everywhere as well. Force people to meet eachother, to see the landscapes etc... Something like one teleport per zone should be enough, with mounts.

- Some open world content (could take inspiration on FFXIV for treasure maps, hunts, gathering etc...), give people a reason to get out of towns and dungeons.

Basically I'd take the best of some existing MMOs I loved (BnS, Tera, FFXIV, WoW) and mash everything up to make my perfect game. But it's just my taste !

What do you mean graphic style more updated to nowadays standard? Any example of how graphics could be better with this style? 

OMG, sorry for the double-post, but I decided to go with something more dynamic than a list of 20 bullet points :)

Okay, what I want is...

A Smuggler's story from SWTOR on steroids! With the artwork to make me drool! Species that do not look like just humans, elves, dwarves and ogres all over again!

An adventurer caught in the whirlwind of events in an island-mainland setting (or planetary system), starting at the outskirts (of course) and working way up towards the greater centers of civilization, with most of the areas scaling to level, with 24M-like areas that have those great OW rotating bosses,  and some EPIC-CRAZY-HARD bosses for the leet small groups to go after (and never to be heard from again), awesome NPCs and 8 to 12 monthly events per year, refreshing completely over the cycle of 2 years each with unique non-repeatable rewards, and the instanced objective-based bolstred PvP with PvP gear & 1vs 1  arenas.

Completely god-awesome NPCs, frequently dropping in and out of party, but not sitting in your camp for the rest of the eternity, with great dialogues and backstories, possibilities of flings and romances build into the solo adventure story-line.

Each character on your Account is actually a part of a network, and all of them interconnected, giving the bonuses for the content they have completed, and unlocking parts of the story-lines for the other classes. Alternatively, a partnership with another player of that class who's completed story-portion X can do that as well.

No factions. In the OW PvP, just do dynamic alliances instead.

WEEE!

3 minutes ago, Kyrax said:

What do you mean graphic style more updated to nowadays standard? Any example of how graphics could be better with this style? 

I don't have any example of games with the same graphic style as BnS, because it's quite original. What I meant by that is that BnS has some really old textures even at max settings and is anyway a dated game, at the date it came out in KR the latest nvidia graphic cards were in the GTX 400s or 500s area I believe (4 to 5 years ago). Today we just got the new 1000 series, so graphic possibilities have quite improved in terms of development. Just take a look at BDO, it's not the same style as BnS (much more realistic, which I tend to dislike since the real world is already realistic enough and I don't play a game to see realistic things) but the overall texture and various graphic effects quality is way better. I would love to see an improved BnS graphic style. The same very particular kinda anime-ish design, but with today's textures and effects. Just look at the hair textures in BnS. It looks more like plastic than actual hair. Some outfit also have a way lesser quality than others with shitty pixelated textures in the middle of well-made other textures. And the landscapes, while beautiful, when looked from closer distance appears to be composed of shitty pixelated textures as well most of the time. And I play at max quality so it's not on my end, BnS is a beautiful game thanks to its art, but the overall graphic quality is old. It's just a beautiful 5 years old game.

My dream MMO would be a mix of a lot of games.

GW2 questing system, no more running back and forward to npc's.

GW2 jump quests.

Jade Dynasty pet system.

Tera combat system.

Aion character creation.

all set in a beautiful bright Korean style game because I love their graphics etc.

Unreal 4 or equivalent graphics

GW2/SWTOR unlocking system for cosmetics

GW2 dye system

Vindictus-style action combat

BDO/Bless-level exploration

Freaking player trading and an auction house

An immersive crafting system

Large social hubs

Blade & Souls weapon/accessory system without the insane grind at higher levels

Both in game and cash shop gear/outfitters with mixing & matching

All of this in a world that at least to some extent can be shaped by the players over time but still with dynamic events to get people involved as they like and I'd be in love. A true sandbox has its appeal, but I like massive boss fights and the like, which wouldn't allow for full sandbox world shaping.

It would be impossible as an MMO is bound by the limited computer space of the provider and the players.

It would have to adapt to the players, not stagnate and always be the same with diminishing returns..

It would need to allow for player choice to be what drives both the play, and the story.

The last one alone would prevent such an MMO existing unless the groups of players were constantly changing so that you had no consistent people to play with.

This is where the TTRPG will always win and MMO was a novel idea for its time, but has maybe outlived its usefulness. If the game cannot adapt to the level of the players, their skills, abilities, and enjoyments, then it is not an RPG, just a fantasy fighting adventure.

Unlike MMO makers, I would not seek to have my preferred game made and forced onto others because not everyone enjoys that style of play. I think the best MMO that could be then would be one that has taken design tenants from all other MMOs and RPGs that work and try to make the best possible outcome for the diverse people that play them.

GW1 / GW2 approach and keep pve and pvp separated with World vs World PVP and Arena.

GW2's pve with no mob tagging, hit a mob and you get credit for it. And much more variation on the quests.

BnS art style + combat system.

WoW / GW2's crafting system, tbh anything is better than this.

Archived