It's really no point doing currency exchange anymore is it...

Dad

Everything was fine with the ncoin market in my opinion, until we started getting RNG boxes and ncoin buyable resources. There was already enough incentive for people to spend ncoin to get items . Adding them to boxes did the game little to no favors.

Sure there's more gold in the market, but as long as people maintained the value of the items that could only be obtained from active play, there was a counter balance.

Players would sell ncoin to obtain the items  they didn't have the time to farm for.

Now, however, an imbalance shows up once you start having events like Spring Trove which give those farmable items, suddenly, the balance between ingame items and ncoin shifts to favor ncoin more, and farming to get ncoin items becomes less valuable. THIS is where the issue comes from.

Gold itself is irrelevant, but once the game starts making ingame obtainable items buyable via ncoin directly. Its reducing the buying power of ingame resources, and decreasing the demand of Gold by ncoin spending players. That problem is why people will become unhappy over time.

and that issue in particular, is the factor that NCsoft is responsible for in the currency exchange, and i hope that you guys no longer stray into that path going forward.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The currency exchange rate is working as intended when it comes to the prices. What the NCSoft employee is saying about the players setting the price is correct, but don't try to play it off as simple supply and demand when you guys are putting in "events" of rng boxes and trove which directly affects the currency exchange rate. Yes the players have the last say in the prices, but you guys sure helped push the prices to where they are now.

To be honest, I don't see what the big deal is regarding the currency exchange rates. Yes, gold is cheaper than ever before, but considering how much inflation has taken place since launch, there's not really a huge difference. Back in the day when rates were 1:40 or whatever, there were much fewer ways to get gold, and prices in general were lower. At 1:40, 1000 NCoin would buy 25g, which was a decent help to a Moonwater upgrade. Now rates are about 1:10, meaning 1000 NCoin would buy 100g, which at first sounds like a lot more than before... but then, when you consider how much more expensive -everything- is nowadays, you realize it's actually not that much. 100g will buy you maybe 33 Frozen Stingers, and you need 190 Stingers to upgrade from True Pirate to True Breeze. Considering the proportions and how little of an impact 100g actually makes, it makes a little more sense that a costume would cost about that much, right? Now think back to that 25g you would get if the rate was 1:40, and how little that would do. Would you buy gold at that rate? Of course not!

The state of the currency exchange is determined by many factors. While you guys seem to be keeping in mind the laws of supply and demand, I think a lot of people here are forgetting what gold is really worth nowadays.

22 minutes ago, Ceralune said:

To be honest, I don't see what the big deal is regarding the currency exchange rates. Yes, gold is cheaper than ever before, but considering how much inflation has taken place since launch, there's not really a huge difference. Back in the day when rates were 1:40 or whatever, there were much fewer ways to get gold, and prices in general were lower. At 1:40, 1000 NCoin would buy 25g, which was a decent help to a Moonwater upgrade. Now rates are about 1:10, meaning 1000 NCoin would buy 100g, which at first sounds like a lot more than before... but then, when you consider how much more expensive -everything- is nowadays, you realize it's actually not that much. 100g will buy you maybe 33 Frozen Stingers, and you need 190 Stingers to upgrade from True Pirate to True Breeze. Considering the proportions and how little of an impact 100g actually makes, it makes a little more sense that a costume would cost about that much, right? Now think back to that 25g you would get if the rate was 1:40, and how little that would do. Would you buy gold at that rate? Of course not!

The state of the currency exchange is determined by many factors. While you guys seem to be keeping in mind the laws of supply and demand, I think a lot of people here are forgetting what gold is really worth nowadays.

The inflation we're seeing now wasn't generated by the game itself, but by adding items over the cash shop that are required in game. So from vanity, cash shop become important for gameplay. Not to mention other ways to get HMcoins are broken (aka ventrue 'elusive' tokens).

The gold:HMcoin rate would have gone down eventualy, ofc, but what takes 2-4 years to happen in other games happened in 2-4 months here. And this kind of thing drive new players away from the game, cuz the hard earned gold they are making now would worth 5 times less in months.

19 minutes ago, Arken said:

The inflation we're seeing now wasn't generated by the game itself, but by adding items over the cash shop that are required in game. So from vanity, cash shop become important for gameplay. Not to mention other ways to get HMcoins are broken (aka ventrue 'elusive' tokens).

The gold:HMcoin rate would have gone down eventualy, ofc, but what takes 2-4 years to happen in other games happened in 2-4 months here. And this kind of thing drive new players away from the game, cuz the hard earned gold they are making now would worth 5 times less in months.

I see what you're saying, though I would not consider the cash shop important for gameplay since you can obtain those materials by grinding. It's true that this fast rate of inflation would drive away newer players, and it's an unfortunate effect of having such rapid updates. But my point still stands - the currency exchange rate is reflective of the state of the game. When you consider pricing nowadays, it makes sense that the rate is as low as it is. It is fair for the rate to be 1:10 because it simply takes more gold to purchase upgrades now.

17 hours ago, Youmukon said:

It is sadly impossible to satisfy everyone with the Currency Exchange and regulating the market by fixing a price threshold wouldn't do any good. I won't start a debate on what is causing the rate to go one way or the other, like @DrowningEarth mentioned it is a combination of several factors (some have a way lower impact than players tend to believe however). The most important thing is that the current rate is decided by players, if the rate stays at what it is currently it's because players transact at that rate, it's that simple.

We could arbitrarily decide that 1:30 (just taking a random value as an example) is the good rate then what? NCoin sellers will just refuse to exchange their real money for gold (i.e. players like @ArcanumZodiak in this thread which wouldn't sell NCoin unless the rate is way more in their favour) and there will be a supply shortage through the In-Game Currency Exchange which will then push players to black markets (third party forums etc.).

If you cannot acquire NCoin at the rate we fixed then dumping will start to naturally occur. Someone will say "well I can't buy at 1:30 because there's no supply at that price, so I'm lowering my price to 1:20" and that player will do so through a parallel market (either arrange transactions through third party forums, whisper...). This is how supply and demand works. We didn't need a currency exchange for that; players were already fixing their rates before the in-game Currency Exchange got implemented in February.

Not everyone is equal when it comes to gold farming, some players find themselves to be way more efficient than you. Top players in organized clans can have hourly gold income which can be 5 times higher than an average casual player. At the same time, not everyone is equal when it comes to real money. Blade & Soul is a worldwide game, we have players from a various range of countries and when an hour of hard work in real life is paid ~3 euros in some of these countries, you can understand that these players expect a fair amount of gold for the NCoin they'll sell or won't mind having to exchange lot of gold in order to acquire NCoin which are expensive to them. One hour of Blade & Soul gameplay shouldn't be valued as one (or even more) hours of real world labour as @Reaper00 mentioned.

All things considered, leaving the market between the hands of the players is the solution that will satisfy most players, both buyers and sellers. You'll always have people falling outside that category, satisfying everyone is just impossible. If you find the rate unacceptable for you, there's a simple solution: don't transact. And if everyone does the same, then the rate will go your way. But if your peers keep transacting while you're not, then you're out of the game and will have to either farm your gold or buy your NCoin with real money.

Why not allow players to buy gold using hm coins? This will simulate a more proper free market by allowing economy to follow both ways (gold to hmc and hmc to gold). We can only arrive at true market equilibrium by allowing all players to decide on both rates (right now, most gold sellers have no say in NC  to gold conversion).

19 hours ago, Youmukon said:

It is sadly impossible to satisfy everyone with the Currency Exchange and regulating the market by fixing a price threshold wouldn't do any good. I won't start a debate on what is causing the rate to go one way or the other, like @DrowningEarth mentioned it is a combination of several factors (some have a way lower impact than players tend to believe however). The most important thing is that the current rate is decided by players, if the rate stays at what it is currently it's because players transact at that rate, it's that simple.

We could arbitrarily decide that 1:30 (just taking a random value as an example) is the good rate then what? NCoin sellers will just refuse to exchange their real money for gold (i.e. players like @ArcanumZodiak in this thread which wouldn't sell NCoin unless the rate is way more in their favour) and there will be a supply shortage through the In-Game Currency Exchange which will then push players to black markets (third party forums etc.).

If you cannot acquire NCoin at the rate we fixed then dumping will start to naturally occur. Someone will say "well I can't buy at 1:30 because there's no supply at that price, so I'm lowering my price to 1:20" and that player will do so through a parallel market (either arrange transactions through third party forums, whisper...). This is how supply and demand works. We didn't need a currency exchange for that; players were already fixing their rates before the in-game Currency Exchange got implemented in February.

Not everyone is equal when it comes to gold farming, some players find themselves to be way more efficient than you. Top players in organized clans can have hourly gold income which can be 5 times higher than an average casual player. At the same time, not everyone is equal when it comes to real money. Blade & Soul is a worldwide game, we have players from a various range of countries and when an hour of hard work in real life is paid ~3 euros in some of these countries, you can understand that these players expect a fair amount of gold for the NCoin they'll sell or won't mind having to exchange lot of gold in order to acquire NCoin which are expensive to them. One hour of Blade & Soul gameplay shouldn't be valued as one (or even more) hours of real world labour as @Reaper00 mentioned.

All things considered, leaving the market between the hands of the players is the solution that will satisfy most players, both buyers and sellers. You'll always have people falling outside that category, satisfying everyone is just impossible. If you find the rate unacceptable for you, there's a simple solution: don't transact. And if everyone does the same, then the rate will go your way. But if your peers keep transacting while you're not, then you're out of the game and will have to either farm your gold or buy your NCoin with real money.

OFC everyones not equal, far from it, you're several P2W "events" made damn sure of that. "top players" in "organized clans" surely you meant P2Ws with legendaries in clans with other P2Ws with legendaries. Since we all know that's actually the case. 

What they need to do is take out the event and convenience items (like mats and resets) out of the hongmoon coin store. Make it fashion only. There's no point in even using the currency exchange when you can just make way more gold by selling the items directly, which is exactly what happened with trove keys.

The way it is now, too many people want event items and keep undercutting each other. Not that many are that interested in fashion, so not many people would leave gold hanging around in the exchange, making the gold price go up. The game is already p2w, taking out the event items out of the hmc store won't change that fact. You either get fashion with your gold or you get nothing at all.

19 hours ago, Youmukon said:

if the rate stays at what it is currently it's because players transact at that rate,

it's a crap in 50%. Half of that doing ncsoft by implementing necessary things only in shop passing ingame ways.

How about add a mean for players to earn HM coins aside from lucky venture tokens from daily rewards and gloomy currency exchange?

Like venture tokens as rare drop from 4-man boss chests. Or, their fragments.

For PvPers, they can get it from Seasonal Rewards. Whole token for higher ranks, and quality depends on how high your rank is. Fragments for lower ranks.

For Open-world PvP content, Super boss for zerging like Berserker and BW have chance to drop venture tokens. The quality depend on your total damage contribution.

Anything that helps free players to obtain store-bought costumes, until you can make an income of 500g+ per day to tolerate the 1:1 exchange rate, lol.

7 hours ago, oPONGo said:

This thread is full of useless statements and arguments. What the people here are demanding is a "goverment controlled market", wich obviously does not work.

Is the only type of market that really works.

As someone suggested, a way to try to fix it could be this:

Why not allow players to buy gold using hm coins? This will simulate a more proper free market by allowing economy to follow both ways (gold to hmc and hmc to gold). We can only arrive at true market equilibrium by allowing all players to decide on both rates (right now, most gold sellers have no say in NC  to gold conversion).

@Youmukon i get it guys u cant set up the price but maybe u guys can remove the fee... its not fun when u buy big amount of  Hmcoin but u still need sel more gold cuse the fee... and we need pay 10-20 G for nothing .. and if the rate gona be lower and lower its gonna be a more bigger problem (its unfair for the ppl who sel gold for hm coin cuse who buy your gold get the same amount of gold and not need pay more but we need ..)

5 hours ago, Abysmal said:

That would actualy hurt the rate even more.

Currently the most of HM coins income is from the currency exchange and the only mean to use them is in HM store. Because of that ppl who sells gold on exchange does it to spent HM coins. Since it is nearly only source (the tokens are too rare) there are no extra HM coins that ppl would use to buy gold. When you sell gold to get coins you need to pay extra fee for it so why would you use that coins to buy gold back?

But in long term, HM coins are currency that isn`t affected by inflation, the only thing that can decrease the value of HM coins would be increasing the prices in HM store.

Because of that if you would allow buying gold with HM coins, there would be ppl who would try to protect their savings by selling gold now, then buying the gold months later.

So at the moment you would allow buying gold with HM coins, there would be more ppl selling gold (increased supply) but the same amount of ppl buying gold (same demand) and the exchange rate would go down even more.

I would love the 1:70 rate back but honestly... even I wouldn't sell gold to people at those kind of rates now. I doubt anyone would buy it concidering we make a lot of gold now compared to the lvl 45 patch + It would be daylight robbery for the gold buyer. Even now the 1:9.5 rate in our server.. you could make more gold by buying things from the store itself and selling it at market, so it would be quite stupid to buy gold from the exchange. (With 400 nc you could make around 80, compared to 40g when buying straight from currency exchange.)

Ahhh.. hurts my heart, I use my hmcoins for outfits.. least I can still use it for bags and stamps..*sighs*

What we really need is a way to earn more hm coins without relaying heavily on the currency exchange. We could pray the rng god for those venture tokens and try to save up hm coins but by the time you have enough for whatever your saving.. it could be gone, like the outfit rotation. 

The limited time outfit really plays with your mind.  If there is an outfit they really want from the store, they'll most likely end up paying with irl money to get it... or try hard to save hm coins hoping they'll get it but end at paying irl money in fear on missing out on it. Least that's what I heard.

My rng luck sucks!! 

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2016 at 3:33 AM, Youmukon said:

Sadly the Currency Exchange is not controlled by the players but by bots selling gold for 1g, 5g and 10g therefore the price will keep going down http://imgur.com/a/ceQyT 
How come nothing is being done? I wonder why @Youmukon 

Archived