Banning Done Right

Randomonium

9 minutes ago, Shadzar said:

no idea what you are talking about, but a thing that shows a lack of respect for other human beings, is a lack of respect either way you want to spin it. and it is sad that businesses do this sort of disrespectful thing.

What's sad is that some idiot does disrespectful things towards fellow players and then someone tries to make the company that takes action look bad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, just the action is bad. if you or anyone else thinks the company looks bad for doing it, then it just proves my point. Wh we are discussing this when there is NO context connecting it to BnS on a BnS forum in the first thing also confuses me.

Is someone suggesting Bethany Stout to start posting names of everyone banned from BnS?

NCWest seems to be doing a LOT wrong in the eyes of its customers, but this isn't one of them.

57 minutes ago, Shadzar said:

no, just the action is bad. if you or anyone else thinks the company looks bad for doing it, then it just proves my point. Wh we are discussing this when there is NO context connecting it to BnS on a BnS forum in the first thing also confuses me.

Is someone suggesting Bethany Stout to start posting names of everyone banned from BnS?

NCWest seems to be doing a LOT wrong in the eyes of its customers, but this isn't one of them.

Guess your only problem is the name and shaming part - which I don't really care for.

The main point from the OP is that Blizzard cracked down on hackers in a short period of time (6 days) and banned them for life.

Their ban method can even detect if you bought a new copy of the game and even if you alter hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate, and buying a VPN (kotaku article).

Looking at the kotaku article - which provided a link to the forums of the hack program creators... They apologized to their paying customers that bought their program but are unapologetic to cheating in the game - and are striving to overcome the detection that Blizzard have.

While looking at BnS currently - there is alot of hacks openly used especially by the bots: speed hacking/teleporting in SSP - no cooldowns in arena (and even in misty woods now) have been going on for months. The same character hacking for months without getting banned is really looking bad.

So Blizzard is actively combating and cracking down on hacks/bots and letting users know that they are working on the problem - which is a plus in my books. NCSoft on the other hand is just replying with automated emails and show little to no action on the teleport/speed hackers on SSP for months.

@Shadzar Do you believe the FBI top wanted list is being disrespectful? 

@OP I was going to post this as well. Glad you beat me to it.

I'd love to see NCW do the same for the hackers and gold spammers. Sure prices would climb but it would cause players, actual people wanting to play, to farm those items to sell. It sucks that the first daily I do is rmb - report spammer.

7 hours ago, LadyGamerluv said:

Blizzard is good company. I enjoyed tera for many years. Swing that ban hammer!!! Cheaters are cancer, play fair like everyone else!.

LMAO ...

Keywords here are "Blizzard" and "Tera" 

LOL

Just going to state. It's not really naming and shaming because the shaming part cannot happen if you're banned. Secondly, it's not your name. You could literally just make a new ign and nobody could find out it was you who previously cheated. I mean in all honestly, you'd have to be insanely internet famous for people to shame you. And you'd also have to be an idiot or extremely unfortunate to end up associating yourself with a well-known banned ign or your same own banned ign. O-O. 

and lastly, I do agree it's actually common for companies to put the list of names up to show that they're actually doing work. Even Maplestory did the same for their ban waves. So I wouldn't actually call it being savage. 

Yeah, I wish ncsoft would do the same here. Just have the regularly scheduled bot ban waves like maplestory. It usually just ends up being a list of gibberish igns. And bots and misconduct like afking are not being regularly banned. cause i keep seeing the same ones queue for purple silverfrosts that I have to kick because they're 300AP. with no weapon or accessories, yet hm 8+.

To be honest apart from being so swift in banning people I actually love that they shamed those people... XD!!! Seriously, sometimes some cheaters just dont quit it because who cares, nobody knows they will just a new account and hack away again. Like this... GG no RE :)

7 hours ago, Shadzar said:

no idea what you are talking about, but a thing that shows a lack of respect for other human beings, is a lack of respect either way you want to spin it. and it is sad that businesses do this sort of disrespectful thing.

I see it as them respecting their current non cheating player base.  It shows their non cheating player base, they are taking actions.  It shows future would be cheaters just what will happen and it shows the friends of the cheaters, hey, you're clan mate is a cheat.

14 hours ago, ander01se said:

758HP44S1FYM1345233173041.jpg

Wut? O_o

And... both Aion and Lineage II were full of cheaters and botters before they went f2p...

you can't level past 20 in the free version i think, or if it is just classic then 60, which you reach at the same speed as 0 in B&S nowadays. 

Personally I don't understand the reservations about naming and shaming.  Anyone who has had interactions with hackers and bots wants to see them get their due.  We know their names from Arena, SSP, MW and other places where they do their dirty business and it would be really nice to see their names up in lights should NC ever get around to doing anything about them.  This goes double should they start using fingerprinting to ensure cheats wont simply bot-level a new account and be back in a few days with an updated copy of their favorite cheat program.  Anything done to deter the use of cheats that doesn't negatively impact legitimate users should be considered fair game.  A big reason why cheats do what they do is to gain notoriety.  This is all gone in an instant when their names appear on that Hall of Shame list.  The real shame is that we all know that NC counts on the business of cheats and bots as much as any other player and no matter their negative impact, nothing appreciable will ever be done to deter them here.

18 hours ago, Natose said:

Just being a realist, I'm guessing you must still be in profane, never bought anything from the market, not 1 moonstone or stinger, not 1 key to open a chest

here's a tip for you, while some of that was farmed by real people trying to make money, the big blocks are usually from a farmer.

Would you rather pay 15s per ss or 60s per ss? if you wanna support the local go for it, i'm going for the cheapest avail to save money for the next upgrade.

I don't buy gold from there sites nor was I saying to. I said go look at how many games they are in, its the majority that's active.

Yup thats me.  Standing in the corner with my profane weap and blue accessories wondering why no one will group with me.  Please go find something else to champion.  You are sounding like a bot herder tbh.

20 hours ago, Randomonium said:

Yea the post was more in support of their methods, not necessarily the game itself.  They know how important it is to their customers that they are seen looking after this sort of thing and not letting it run rampant like certain other companies do.  The whole defense of "we ban a thousand, two thousand are back the next day" doesn't fly when the actual machines used by the botters and hackers are banned using more up to date methods of fighting them.  The fact that they do support Name and Shame, posting all the handles for everyone to see who got caught is really just icing on the so delicious cake.

Name and shame? Hell yes.

On 6/2/2016 at 4:40 PM, Natose said:

go to there website and look at how many games they serve, your not getting rid of them, they just spread more and more. The botters don't really bother me unless I'm at ssp, but I've upgraded my gear better to out dps the botters. They serve a useful purpose in keeping prices down in the market. Can you imagine how much a moonstone or stinger would cost of no one farmed them 24/7. Keep in mine you need hundreds of these to get your weapon nice

There would be no necessity for bots and hackers if this game didn't have such an idiotic gathering and crafting system.

You guys have no idea what you are actually talking about.  Blizzard's got its bad part too, not only good things. People there complain about a lot of stuff. I played 5 years wow. They killed the game long ago.  The leveling experience is destroyed, you can get to max level just running dungeons in lfg, the questing is for nothing, they no longer anything below the last expansion, you can now gear up in one week and there's nothing that feels rewarding anymore in that game. There are huge clipping issues, outdated zones with old engine, outdated gear models which can't be wearer, p2w buying play time and selling it in-game, some races have outdated models, while others have new ones. And the list goes one. And the ppl complain about the other games too. For example Hots it has huge queue time, unbalanced heroes. Hearthstone is p2w. And the list goes on. Stop throwing shit at NCSOFT whenever you find something that looks better. If ncsoft/NCWest had Blizzard's money and profit, they'd act the same as blizzard, while if Blizzard'd be in NCWEST'S place they'd be the same. My God.......

51 minutes ago, Ciocolici said:

You guys have no idea what you are actually talking about.  Blizzard's got its bad part too, not only good things. People there complain about a lot of stuff. I played 5 years wow. They killed the game long ago.  The leveling experience is destroyed, you can get to max level just running dungeons in lfg, the questing is for nothing, they no longer anything below the last expansion, you can now gear up in one week and there's nothing that feels rewarding anymore in that game. There are huge clipping issues, outdated zones with old engine, outdated gear models which can't be wearer, p2w buying play time and selling it in-game, some races have outdated models, while others have new ones. And the list goes one. And the ppl complain about the other games too. For example Hots it has huge queue time, unbalanced heroes. Hearthstone is p2w. And the list goes on. Stop throwing shit at NCSOFT whenever you find something that looks better. If ncsoft/NCWest had Blizzard's money and profit, they'd act the same as blizzard, while if Blizzard'd be in NCWEST'S place they'd be the same. My God.......

My sweet little white knight, no one is bashing your favorite company or truly propping up another.  Blizzard simply has an effective method for dealing with cheaters in their newest game that many wish was used by more companies.  With luck other companies will follow suit (maybe even your favorite one!) and companies that sell bots scripting and game cheats will go out of business.

13 hours ago, BlueBunnay said:

Name and shame? Hell yes.

Agreed, shame them, name them, show them, then slowly strip them out of gear, then ban.

Thats how anet dealt with one really annoying hacker in gw2.

Sadly our hackers still running around after hundreds of reports. Lol. But its much better they dont have guns.

All this cheaters are pure garbage imo, and fully deserve naming and shaming.

22 hours ago, Randomonium said:

Personally I don't understand the reservations about naming and shaming.  Anyone who has had interactions with hackers and bots wants to see them get their due.

A thing many are forgetting with these "hackers" cheaters etc, is they wanted their name out their. This only serves their purpose. It was seen when Crunchyroll was attacked and the website replaced with some hackers name all over it. So for those that are going for the attention, you are only helping them get it by putting their name more to the public.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

2 hours ago, Shadzar said:

A thing many are forgetting with these "hackers" cheaters etc, is they wanted their name out their. This only serves their purpose. It was seen when Crunchyroll was attacked and the website replaced with some hackers name all over it. So for those that are going for the attention, you are only helping them get it by putting their name more to the public.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

There is a term called schadenfreude you may have heard of.  It is the feeling of sick pleasure one feels when seeing the misfortune of another.  Most folks don't feel this outright without a connection to the person in question.  The people who spend money on cheats and then get banned for their actions elicit this feeling most in the ones harmed and otherwise affected by the actions of the cheater.  I feel no remorse, no pity for someone who cut in line in front of me getting dragged away or shamed for their actions and I am surprised when I see others come to the defense of this sort of person.  I acknowledge your differing opinion even as I cannot understand it.  Also there is no correlation between a hacker squad pwning a web page unless you mean stories where folks like the "lizard squad" were arrested and given harsh sentencing for their crimes.  Folks who thought they were anonymous dragged from the shadows, named and shamed for all to see.  I felt schadenfreude for them as well...

13 hours ago, Ciocolici said:

An another guy who didn't read the topic ... Quick i must defend my favorite game!

On 6/2/2016 at 6:19 PM, Shadzar said:

Well another reason companies are just as big of children as those they have to ban. What is the point of "naming and shaming" people? Are they so immature they have to get the last word in online? Can a company not just ban someone and be done with it and not talk about it?

"We banned 1500 people today for cheating." That is all that had to be said.

Pathetic and disrespectful. Imagine if they banned someone that didn't deserve it on accident? Then they are in line for a slander or liability lawsuit.

I just don't know what is wrong with the human race these days, both the cheaters and the company that acts like degenerates as well.

I would have to disagree with this. I wish more companies would "name and shame", as it would give people more motivation to report cheaters. Most of the time I don't even bother cuz I feel like nothing will be done, and even if something is I would never know. As for "slander and libel", well we publicize people's identity when they're accused of a crime, but before they are convicted, right? If they're wrong all they have to do is say "our bad".  I'm just thinking from the perspective of if I was wrongfully banned and "named and shamed". Why would I care lol? Why would anyone else unless it was a popular streamer or something? It's just some random rule-breakers to most people, but at least you could look to see if someone you reported was banned and be like "haha". You know, I actually HAVE been permabanned in a game before and I would have been just fine if my username was publicized. If it were up to me, I would do away with the whole "no naming and shaming" policy everywhere it might be.  Not to mention, when you can actually see the names of the people being banned you know something is actually being done. Instead of companies like NCSoft being like "we're totally banning cheaters guys".

Wow, some of you people so high strung about this acting like these people mass-murdered your family pets.

Bad analogies you people are making that is just laughable. :D

So you are saying you want NCSoft to do a publicity stunt, and do the wrong thing to achieve it to appease you, and that will make them be better in your eyes as acting like an internet bully?

I think it sad so many see "trolling" and "smack talk" and other nonsense as civilized discourse. the whole concept of "shaming" anyone was done away with for a while (at least a century) in the world for the 1st world countries, but it seems people just have to be toxic and breed a toxic society.

I am done with this stupidity from Blizzard that created this thread.

You obviously have never had an incident with cheaters and bots. You have the right on your own opinion but please don't play a saint with those 'Oh I don't know what's wrong with this world because people enjoy watching some hacker suffer'. You obviously don't know how awful people can feel when a cheater kills them and steals their hard-earned PPs just by teleporting around and you obviously don't know how irritating it is to witness a bot stealing an injured soldier or a meteor right in front of your eyes. So please refrain from your saintly preaches and try to understand that people have their own view on this topic as well. Some people have struggled with those bots and hackers for a long time and would really be content to see a name of that hacker who robbed them of their spent time on that list. That's the least NCSoft (or any company for that matter) could do for their playerbase. Because hackers are nothing more than those people who hurt other people and take joy from that. If you still think that naming and shaming is childish and just plain stupid, well that's your opinion but I seriously hope you'll show the same understanding for those cheaters when they hurt you in some way. 

Archived