Banning Done Right

Randomonium

So Blizzard just banned over 1500 cheaters from Overwatch.  No warning, No second chances, No buying a new copy and getting a do over.  The cheater broke the rules, they were lifetime banned.  They used hardware/software fingerprinting to make sure simply getting a new copy of the game or setting up a new account would not get around the ban.  If only other companies had some similar competent way of dealing with this sort of thing, I'm sure their games would be a much nicer place to play.  If only...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Nitti said:

Its a nice company but i don't like FPS;;;;;

Yea the post was more in support of their methods, not necessarily the game itself.  They know how important it is to their customers that they are seen looking after this sort of thing and not letting it run rampant like certain other companies do.  The whole defense of "we ban a thousand, two thousand are back the next day" doesn't fly when the actual machines used by the botters and hackers are banned using more up to date methods of fighting them.  The fact that they do support Name and Shame, posting all the handles for everyone to see who got caught is really just icing on the so delicious cake.

11 minutes ago, Randomonium said:

Yea the post was more in support of their methods, not necessarily the game itself.  They know how important it is to their customers that they are seen looking after this sort of thing and not letting it run rampant like certain other companies do.  The whole defense of "we ban a thousand, two thousand are back the next day" doesn't fly when the actual machines used by the botters and hackers are banned using more up to date methods of fighting them.  The fact that they do support Name and Shame, posting all the handles for everyone to see who got caught is really just icing on the so delicious cake.

Agree with you

1 hour ago, Randomonium said:

So Blizzard just banned over 1500 cheaters from Overwatch.  No warning, No second chances, No buying a new copy and getting a do over.  The cheater broke the rules, they were lifetime banned.  They used hardware/software fingerprinting to make sure simply getting a new copy of the game or setting up a new account would not get around the ban.  If only other companies had some similar competent way of dealing with this sort of thing, I'm sure their games would be a much nicer place to play.  If only...

That's the difference in a company with a paid sub making millions a year to a free game where people complain they cant get more free stuff. Don't expect champagne when you don't even want to pay for beer

4 minutes ago, Natose said:

That's the difference in a company with a paid sub making millions a year to a free game where people complain they cant get more free stuff. Don't expect champagne when you don't even want to pay for beer

758HP44S1FYM1345233173041.jpg

Wut? O_o

And... both Aion and Lineage II were full of cheaters and botters before they went f2p...

8 minutes ago, Natose said:

you can say that, but not implementing/using better anti-hacking/botting measures i'd say hurts more ncwest than not, as for a non external gold buyer will need to purchase ncoins.

( if we have botters is cause there is a market for the gold they make)

4 minutes ago, ander01se said:

758HP44S1FYM1345233173041.jpg

Wut? O_o

And... both Aion and Lineage II were full of cheaters and botters before they went f2p...

you do realize the wow free version sucks. you can only goto lvl 20, cant trade, or do anything but solo

3 minutes ago, Dotimus said:

you can say that, but not implementing/using better anti-hacking/botting measures i'd say hurts more ncwest than not, as for a non external gold buyer will need to purchase ncoins.

( if we have botters is cause there is a market for the gold they make)

go to there website and look at how many games they serve, your not getting rid of them, they just spread more and more. The botters don't really bother me unless I'm at ssp, but I've upgraded my gear better to out dps the botters. They serve a useful purpose in keeping prices down in the market. Can you imagine how much a moonstone or stinger would cost of no one farmed them 24/7. Keep in mine you need hundreds of these to get your weapon nice

5 minutes ago, Natose said:

go to there website and look at how many games they serve, your not getting rid of them, they just spread more and more. The botters don't really bother me unless I'm at ssp, but I've upgraded my gear better to out dps the botters. They serve a useful purpose in keeping prices down in the market. Can you imagine how much a moonstone or stinger would cost of no one farmed them 24/7. Keep in mine you need hundreds of these to get your weapon nice

Now I've seen everything.  Actually white knighting bots and hackers.  Congrats you get apologist of the year award.

4 minutes ago, Randomonium said:

Now I've seen everything.  Actually white knighting bots and hackers.  Congrats you get apologist of the year award.

Just being a realist, I'm guessing you must still be in profane, never bought anything from the market, not 1 moonstone or stinger, not 1 key to open a chest

here's a tip for you, while some of that was farmed by real people trying to make money, the big blocks are usually from a farmer.

Would you rather pay 15s per ss or 60s per ss? if you wanna support the local go for it, i'm going for the cheapest avail to save money for the next upgrade.

I don't buy gold from there sites nor was I saying to. I said go look at how many games they are in, its the majority that's active.

21 minutes ago, Natose said:

Just being a realist, I'm guessing you must still be in profane, never bought anything from the market, not 1 moonstone or stinger, not 1 key to open a chest

here's a tip for you, while some of that was farmed by real people trying to make money, the big blocks are usually from a farmer.

Would you rather pay 15s per ss or 60s per ss? if you wanna support the local go for it, i'm going for the cheapest avail to save money for the next upgrade.

I don't buy gold from there sites nor was I saying to. I said go look at how many games they are in, its the majority that's active.

you don't really get it, by having bots dumping the market, real players have no incentive to farm. nor do new players have the incentive to level as they cant even make a few silver to get what they need.

Well another reason companies are just as big of children as those they have to ban. What is the point of "naming and shaming" people? Are they so immature they have to get the last word in online? Can a company not just ban someone and be done with it and not talk about it?

"We banned 1500 people today for cheating." That is all that had to be said.

Pathetic and disrespectful. Imagine if they banned someone that didn't deserve it on accident? Then they are in line for a slander or liability lawsuit.

I just don't know what is wrong with the human race these days, both the cheaters and the company that acts like degenerates as well.

Let's be honest blizzard won't be sued over this. That being said naming the people who were banned also lets people know if people they were running into or personally reported got the axe. And I'm also sure that a company as big as blizzard is actually doing proper research before banning so if there are false positives they are rare. And for those false positives. I'm sure there is a system in place for appeals.

1 hour ago, Dotimus said:

you don't really get it, by having bots dumping the market, real players have no incentive to farm. nor do new players have the incentive to level as they cant even make a few silver to get what they need.

I don't know about you, but I still make 50g a day just from the market

57 minutes ago, Shintuan said:

Let's be honest blizzard won't be sued over this. That being said naming the people who were banned also lets people know if people they were running into or personally reported got the axe. And I'm also sure that a company as big as blizzard is actually doing proper research before banning so if there are false positives they are rare. And for those false positives. I'm sure there is a system in place for appeals.

Well from a professional standpoint, it doesn't make it right at all and sets a bad example. Us peon players on a forum have no reputation as a business or professional person but "name and shame" isn't allowed on the forums. So Blizzard could have taken the higher road and followed Thumper's mother's advice and been professional by "if you can't say nothing nice, then don't say nothing at all."

it is just sad how the human race is just becoming so disrespectful that they fight a lack of respect with another lack of respect. Not much is owed to people cheating in a game like that but a modicum of respect is still deserved. "Just walk away" as it were but it seems the business is just "talking smack" to me, a childish aggressive behavior akin to throwing a tantrum.

It would be nice to see a professional company, well act like professionals for once rather than one of the sides in a school yard playground fight.

Funny it being posted on the BnS forums a day after the finale to the Jinsoyun arch where

You just won against Jinsoyun by not giving in to revenge and selfishness but being selfless.

Though BnS devs seems to prefer to walk the paths of Mushin and Jinsoyun themselves. OpieOP

Just now, Meiling said:

Free to play or not, BnS has the money to do what we want them to do, they made a ton of it from the release of the game. Banning that many people within the first week is huge, it shows that they aren't fking around and makes people think a second before deciding to actually hack. Of course, in free to play, people will still do it over and over but it'll get to the point where they have been banned enough that they're simply sick of releveling a  character over and over just to hack and or bot.

Seems Blizzard is logging their hardware IDs. :)

According to PC Gamer, some people are even reporting bans that span multiple copies of the game. “Bought the game again,” said one alleged cheater. “Didn’t hack on it at all, just wanted to enjoy the game a bit. Two days later—banned again. Bought the game... again. But before doing that, I deleted Overwatch and launcher completely. Enjoyed it again without cheating only for a day.”

Free to play or not, BnS has the money to do what we want them to do, they made a ton of it from the release of the game. Banning that many people within the first week is huge, it shows that they aren't fking around and makes people think a second before deciding to actually hack. Of course, in free to play, people will still do it over and over but it'll get to the point where they have been banned enough that they're simply sick of releveling a  character over and over just to hack and or bot.

Just now, ander01se said:

Seems Blizzard is logging their hardware IDs. :)

Yeah, I love seeing this. I've been playing overwatch myself and put in a decent amount of money. It's a quick and fun (can get really annoying at times) game to play to jump in and knowing that they are not messing around and wanting to keep it clean makes me want to give them more money, which I have.

22 minutes ago, Shadzar said:

Well from a professional standpoint, it doesn't make it right at all and sets a bad example. Us peon players on a forum have no reputation as a business or professional person but "name and shame" isn't allowed on the forums. So Blizzard could have taken the higher road and followed Thumper's mother's advice and been professional by "if you can't say nothing nice, then don't say nothing at all."

it is just sad how the human race is just becoming so disrespectful that they fight a lack of respect with another lack of respect. Not much is owed to people cheating in a game like that but a modicum of respect is still deserved. "Just walk away" as it were but it seems the business is just "talking smack" to me, a childish aggressive behavior akin to throwing a tantrum.

It would be nice to see a professional company, well act like professionals for once rather than one of the sides in a school yard playground fight.

Them showing off the list of offenders, is not showing disrespect.  Them doing it, is not the same as a player doing it.

Also, there is nothing disrespectful about saying "So and so was caught cheating and has been banned"  Saying "So and so was caught cheating and has been banned, also they're ugly retarded losers" would be disrespectful :p

26 minutes ago, Shadzar said:

Seriously putting out the name of known cheaters really isn't that bad.  You don't have to white knight this.

no idea what you are talking about, but a thing that shows a lack of respect for other human beings, is a lack of respect either way you want to spin it. and it is sad that businesses do this sort of disrespectful thing.

Personally, when they do something like showing a list of banned accounts, I don't see it really as name shaming but more of to show the community that they are actually banning people and you can see if the ones you reported that were quite obviously hacking were banned or not, giving you a sense of relief.

Archived