Please stop verifying IP address!

Elmoren

My ISP has reset my IP address at least three times today, according to the game.

Please, please, please stop verifying "location" by IP address. If you actually do some research you will find out that it is ineffectual and inaccurate. It is also, for me with an ISP that sometimes seems to be changing my IP address daily, bloody irritating.

Why don't you change the client to grab one or more of the PCs CPU UUID, graphics card UUID, hard disk UUID (or serial number, whichever is more correct/appropriate), or MAC address?

This is what Windows uses to verify software installs. You will find that if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard and so on, if you change enough bits, Windows will refuse to run on the grounds that you essentially have a new computer and thus need to buy a new license. If it works for them, why not for you?

Alternatively, why not program the game client to use a unique key - unique to each individual installation of the game?

With any of these solutions, in order for someone to hack an account, the hacker would need to either:

1) Hack the server and read/modify the values you match against. If they can do this, they can also access whatever else they need to hack everyone's account!

2) Snoop the target's traffic to identify the values the client is reporting. This is preventable by using standard encryption, e.g. SSL or similar.

3) Run a program on the target's computer to obtain the necessary values. Users should keep their computers virus/malware free anyway.

Also, for all of the above to work, the hacker would need to use a modified client to fake the values being sent, AND know the users password. You should be preventing people being able to run a modified client otherwise you have problems with people using bots in the game - oh wait you do have that already!

Anyway, please find a better solution than IP address. It is really annoying.

theres plenty of things that needs to be fixed but if u talk with ur ISP they can lock ur IP into manual so it will not be allways changing and u wont disconect due to that

every time ur net conection changes chanels u will disconect from the server because the server doesnt have re-conect conection and it counts as if you had disconected even if it just takes 1 sec and this will make u disconect from blade and soul

On 02/06/2016 at 10:41 PM, Netson said:

theres plenty of things that needs to be fixed but if u talk with ur ISP they can lock ur IP into manual so it will not be allways changing and u wont disconect due to that

every time ur net conection changes chanels u will disconect from the server because the server doesnt have re-conect conection and it counts as if you had disconected even if it just takes 1 sec and this will make u disconect from blade and soul

My ISP charges extra for a static IP address.

Maybe your's provides the service for free (and why not when it is so little effort) but not all ISPs are created equal.

Archived