Sign in to follow this  
Andrewgr

New suggestion for profile pic

Andrewgr   

I haven't seen this suggested before:

1) Only allow pictures to be taken from the portrait preview feature.  I believe (?) this is how it was supposed to be working currently.

2) Instead of saving the picture, instead, save the parameters used when taking the picture: all the parameters that define the character's appearance (hairstyle, color, etc.), which of the 3 backgrounds they used, what the rotation of the character was, the angle of the camera, zoom level, outfit being worn, etc.

3) Whenever someone views the profile, just draw the picture from scratch using those parameters.

This would (I think) have the additional benefit that whoever is viewing your profile is seeing the picture at whatever they have determined their optimal graphic settings to be, since it's being rendered on-the-fly, rather than just loading a pre-saved image.

I think almost all of the code for saving the parameters should already exist, since it should be the same code used for saving presets.  I think the only additional parameters would be those related to zoom, angle, rotation, etc.-- probably a very small number of additional values.

Renze   

Portraits are ugly. if that is the only option, save your bandwidth and remove the entire feature.