Forums

Server/routing issues (with graphs)

Brainy

First things first: 
I already contacted support and I'm here because this is what they told me to do ...I know, right ?
I got the IP address used for testing from them along with the link to the software (PingPlotter).

This is the graph for the connection between my PC and NCSoft's EU server: 206_127_158_1_ncsoft_com.png

And this is the data file in case someone wants to load it up in their PingPlotter: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Aoaw3N5VpQSGhNTmpSVkdqZlE

If anyone has problems reading the graph, I will explain it:
The bottom line with small irregularities is my normal ping. The lines that go all the way up to 400+ ms is the lag spikes. On the top right there is another small graph that shows latency. Note the huge horizontal line next to 206-127-158-1.ncsoft.com - this means the 400 ms lag spikes are on the NCSoft node - proof that the problem is on their end.

I don't know what else I can do to make them fix it, since showing this to support lead me to writing this post.

Here is another graph to show HOW THE CONNECTION SHOULD LOOK LIKE (ZERO, I repeat, ZERO lag spikes). This is tested on a WoW (Blizzard) server (which by the way is geographically further to where I live compared to NCSoft's):

185_60_112_157.png

And the file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Aoaw3N5VpQbURnckdld1JWbnc

The tests were taken ~20 min apart, both ran for at least 10 minutes.

If anyone (preferably from North / Eastern EU) wants to test this, download PingPlotter (https://www.pingplotter.com/) and input this IP: 206.127.158.1.

Now please, can someone from NCSoft do anything about this ?
I'm at my wits' end...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to crash your hope but they won't and won't ever do anything about it. That 17 million dollars they got from this game, they could have used a small portion to upgrade and invest in this crappy potato server. But yet all these 4 months, they still don't do anything. Despite all the complaints from majority of players on this same issue, they should've already knew that the issue is on their end rather than dumping it on the player. But yes, nothing has been done. In fact, they probably already knew that it's their server fault but it doesn't even bother them one bit.

More RNG box please. 

I've been Pingplotting to the server nearly everyday for over a month (my free trial expired weeks ago) in the (false) hope they might fix the toaster. I don't have routing issues as the ONLY hop that suffers is the final; with spikes into 300-400+ ms range.

In your case they will tell you it's your ISP's fault as the routing isn't looking too good, but even if it's perfect (like mine has been) the end result will be similar - horsecricket.

They will tell you without blushing that the issue is on your end, ive been having the same crap infested lag spikes since the start, at first i tought i had to git guud to press those iframes & F's, Arena has been a big no no and my entire dungeon experience as a KFM has been a disaster, because you see the attack coming and you press that button but nothing happens, so you spam the button as fast as you can but nothing is happening.

I am also at the end of my resolve....

Over the last 3 days i've seen very similar results with the NA servers.

There's a bit of packet loss randomly from the "Telia" servers in the routing after my ISP's servers, but the main issue is the last hop in the route (The NCsoft server at the end) getting frequent and very large ping spikes into the 300-400 range, sometimes even higher.

By frequent I mean once or twice every minute there's a ping spike from the ncsoft server at the end of the route, sometimes more.

5 hours ago, PatchKid said:

Is the traffic being monitored while the client is running, or just based on server IP?

i've done both, saw the same sort of ping spikes either way.

Yeah, still getting spiking from the NCSoft server itself. Also still getting lots of random packet loss from the Telia servers inbetween.

Unfortunately the NA/EU version of the game is the red-headed stepchild.  There are no dedicated programmers that can actually fix legacy code, only make small changes to individual registers such as was done when they took the weaps out of SSP or turned off profile pix.  Bloodlust doesn't mess with it so every release we get will have the same bugs never fixed in the asian territory releases.  Unfortunately it seems this same issue applies to how NCWest runs their data centers.  They don't have proper load balancing in place and the internal networks seem woefully un-optimized.    They do hire a few folks in customer support who appear to be well versed in deflecting blame and giving scripted busy work to folks silly enough to complain and expect change.  I'm sure they are also victimized by extortion hackers who blast their network with DDoS attacks unless they pay up.  This happens to many multi player games these days and the smaller ones don't have a way to fight against it.  I doubt any of this will change soon so either you deal with it or move on.

43 minutes ago, Randomonium said:

Unfortunately the NA/EU version of the game is the red-headed stepchild.  There are no dedicated programmers that can actually fix legacy code, only make small changes to individual registers such as was done when they took the weaps out of SSP or turned off profile pix.  Bloodlust doesn't mess with it so every release we get will have the same bugs never fixed in the asian territory releases.  Unfortunately it seems this same issue applies to how NCWest runs their data centers.  They don't have proper load balancing in place and the internal networks seem woefully un-optimized.    They do hire a few folks in customer support who appear to be well versed in deflecting blame and giving scripted busy work to folks silly enough to complain and expect change.  I'm sure they are also victimized by extortion hackers who blast their network with DDoS attacks unless they pay up.  This happens to many multi player games these days and the smaller ones don't have a way to fight against it.  I doubt any of this will change soon so either you deal with it or move on.

Many of the same botting companies that ncsw temporarily close with ban waves will respond with a ddos attack. It is so inexpensive to order an attack and relatively safe as well. 

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/solutions/intelligent-platform/visualizing-akamai/real-time-web-monitor.jsp

Dunno whats up with the link, just copy pasted for some interesting real time graphics. 

I just tried pingplotting the server out of curiosity cause i had the weird feeling of occasional high ping as well and i can confirm the above findings.

I´m living like very close to the EU server with a normal ping of 20 and below but even at 1:30 am in the morning it encountered lag spikes of 250+ ms like once or twice a minute. Not cool, at all... :(

If I ping the servers that show up in Windows Resource Monitor, my connection goes through Telia, too, and I'm from EU...

They are known for having problems in the past and I'm not sure they quite fixed their issues yet.

On 19/05/2016 at 8:08 AM, Brainy said:

If I ping the servers that show up in Windows Resource Monitor, my connection goes through Telia, too, and I'm from EU...

They are known for having problems in the past and I'm not sure they quite fixed their issues yet.

Not saying they aren't causing you issues or that they are somehow never to blame; but I was being routed through several Telia hops for months and never saw anything to suggest they were at fault.

Only recently I noticed it no longer doing so, as it now passes me through just a single ALTER.NET hop before being passed on to NCSoft. Needless to say the change in routing made zero difference as it was never the problem to begin with.

Today:

3BuqA7N.png

41ms avg - 423ms, nice and stable.

Yeah its pretty bad. Not only do certain buttons not respond when you press them, but also when you release them. I'm an FM, and in SSP I sprint across the field to attack the next Conscript. I release "W" when I get within range, but my character doesn't stop. I just sprint right up to him, he grabs me and ends my life.

36 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

Not saying they aren't causing you issues or that they are somehow never to blame; but I was being routed through several Telia hops for months and never saw anything to suggest they were at fault.

tbh as long as the random packet loss which occurs sometimes from the telia servers doesn't make it through to the final hop, it probably doesn't make a difference.

The real problem is the ncsoft servers themselves being so unstable.

I wonder how much of the issue might be caused by the spambots sort of acting similar to a DDOS attack.

I sent another ticket to support, asking if they are ever going to fix it and if yes, when. The response was more than bad.

They are teaching me about packet loss, because 2 hops showed 100% PL. The same 2 nodes on both of my graphs, even though the 2nd one shows the connection is perfectly fine. THEY ARE CLUELESS, they don't know that there's hardware that your ISP "hides" from people by not being able to be pinged. How did these people get to work there ? I'd like a job at NCSoft please, I think I'm more than qualified. My copy-paste skills are amazing.

12 minutes ago, Kami Sama said:

tbh as long as the random packet loss which occurs sometimes from the telia servers doesn't make it through to the final hop, it probably doesn't make a difference.

The real problem is the ncsoft servers themselves being so unstable.

I wonder how much of the issue might be caused by the spambots sort of acting similar to a DDOS attack.

Yes, users can ignore those odd few packets lost on random hops so long as it doesn't carry through to the destination.

I pondered about the bots causing the lag, not so much the irc spam but I'd imagine multi-boxed clients have the potential to impact server performance.

1 hour ago, Brainy said:

I sent another ticket to support, asking if they are ever going to fix it and if yes, when. The response was more than bad.

They are teaching me about packet loss, because 2 hops showed 100% PL. The same 2 nodes on both of my graphs, even though the 2nd one shows the connection is perfectly fine. THEY ARE CLUELESS, they don't know that there's hardware that your ISP "hides" from people by not being able to be pinged. How did these people get to work there ? I'd like a job at NCSoft please, I think I'm more than qualified. My copy-paste skills are amazing.

Been there, done that, did not buy the T-Shirt:

They only acknowledged a problem once I'd informed them that even PingPlotter support had stated it was ncsoft server that was lagging; at which point they brazenly were like "oh that, yeah we know about that and it's being looked into, check the forums for updates!". They must mean updates from more disgruntled players being taken for fools? as there sure as hell isn't any other kind of input on this.

Ive had random DC's since I first started playing this game, once a day if not every other day so wasn't the worst thing in the world. Now after about a month and a half of playing with a relatively constant ping, all of a sudden I am getting as seen above, 200-400 ping spikes every few seconds. Even a simple tracert to their server shows ping: 45, 45, 45, 350, 45, 45, 275,etc. 

I cannot play, it's infuriating. Nothing has changed on my end, heck I was playing fine last night. My net working perfectly fine, everything else works, pings are normal to anything else I could think of to ping, bbc, google, any random site, constant pings, only ncsofts server gives this random jump.

Want a mod to recognize this is a real problem!

Archived