i5-6600 or i7-6700, R9-390 or R9-390x?

I'm going to build a pc with R9 390 or R9 390x and i5-6600 or i7-6700.

I'm not sure if i5-6600 will be good enough, and if it is, I rather not spend $84.00 more.

The same goes for the GPU except the price difference is $70 (minus $30 rebate prepaid card).

I want my pc to be able to run at least 30 fps always at Grand Harvest Square with near-max settings.

I plan not to overclock anything.

It also helps if you share your build and its performance.

Thank you!

dont know is new pc give your stability, because dx9 and x32 bit client not give more opportunity, i have i5-3570 Geforce 960 friend i7-4970 Geforce 970, and all the have lags, may be you will have add +5fps on harvests or soulstone plains but is not more as 15-20fps xD and in fact you will play with CTRL+F.

i fink AMD ZEN architecture and Nvidia Pascal not help to, because game have server lags, and as i described 32bit client only + dx9

Just now, WayOfTheBacon said:

Not gonna happend with any gpu/cpu at grand harvest event on high graphics setting. 

I have 6700K + GTX 690, graphics set to max (other than shadow on medium), and I'm getting 5 ~ 12 FPS max at grandharvest events.

For the specs 6600 vs 6700 or 390vs390x, get which ever is cheaper since they are all on the same tier with "Minimum" difference, prolly just 3~5FPS difference at max TBH.

The 6600 one is i5, the 6700 one is i7.

Not gonna happend with any gpu/cpu at grand harvest event on high graphics setting. 

I have 6700K + GTX 690, graphics set to max (other than shadow on medium), and I'm getting 5 ~ 12 FPS max at grandharvest events.

For the specs 6600 vs 6700 or 390vs390x, get which ever is cheaper since they are all on the same tier with "Minimum" difference, prolly just 3~5FPS difference at max TBH.

3 minutes ago, Alter said:

The 6600 one is i5, the 6700 one is i7.

Right, if you check out bench marks of 6600 vs 6700, you'll see that the difference isn't that big, (I bet non in BnS). if you'd rather spend a bit more the the cool "i7" tag, then go ahead, IMO it won't make a noticeable difference in terms of FPS, I'd go for the i5-6600.

You should wait until the end of this month for the video card. The new Nvidia series is coming out and they crush the 970/980 in performance and power draw which is pretty amazing as those cards are still overpowered for most games unless you play at 4K resolution.

3 minutes ago, GreenDestiny said:

You should wait until the end of this month for the video card. The new Nvidia series is coming out and they crush the 970/980 in performance and power draw which is pretty amazing as those cards are still overpowered for most games unless you play at 4K resolution.

The price of GTX-980 is already too much for me. That new card will be too expensive for me, and I'm not doing industrial super-computing.

3 minutes ago, Alter said:

The price of GTX-980 is already too much for me. That new card will be too expensive for me, and I'm not doing industrial super-computing.

I'm not sure when the mid range cards will launch. The flagship will be the 1080, I imagine in the mid range will be a 1060. The GTX 1070 is going to cost under $400, hopefully $350 for some models and will be faster than 2 970s in SLI!!! That kind of performance would be worth saving an extra $50 or so for or cutting costs on another component of your build.

Your first mistake is building a computer for this game, anyone will tell you it makes no sense because of how poorly optimized it is. Changing computer parts won't net you any large increases at all, the fluctuations in everyones fps is due to the memory leaks, and old directx build. There is a reason Korean B&S came out with an "Optimization patch" to deal with the shitty performance the game always had. 

Now if you still want to build something, like previous posts have mentioned 'Pascal' will be the new flagship for video cards in the next month, they out perform all current video cards including the TitanX for half the price. 1060 will be low end, and compete with 970 ($200 range) 1070 will be the next mid priced card and top 970, and be close to 980 performance ($399) and the TitanX/980 competition which Nvidia claims gets beat is the 1080 that comes in at around ($599) these prices are subjected to change, but I doubt they will change very much. 

As for a CPU it won't help very much at all tbh, I have 2 computers one with a i5-2500k and one with a i7-4790k both are overclocked (4.8ghz & 5.0ghz) both with 980ti's and the game still runs like complete garbage. The frame difference between the 2 are non existent due to the insane fluctuation in fps. A fart in the wind could make you drop 20fps in a instant, so buying parts for this game is pointless. If you want to buy parts for a PC build it for current gen games, so at least you don't hurt yourself in the future, when you move on. Now if you wish to not heed any warnings, your cpu is dependant on your choice of media. If you plan to stream, and do large multitasking, render, photoshop etc. i7 if you purely game, i5's are always the best. This game will NOT utilize multicores, so take what i've said as you will, I promise you the increase will be so small (unless you have a potatoe already as a comp) that you will be extremely disappointed. 

Good luck with your build. ^^

Don't waste your money on a broken game, you will never get "happy" fps on this game. It's not optimized.

The i5 is more than enough for any game to this date. My 4670 never exceed ~50% handling 1080 @ 60fps maxed settings.

i7 is for multitasking nerds, if you need to do alot of multitasking like running +3 screens with video editing, game running, rendering  etc.. get it.

Only games built in multithreads can use the multi cores. And I think only Crysis 3 can use 8 cores.

The 390 is more than enough as well, any of the current mid range GPUs will do great in 1080 @ 60fps max.

(Ati +280, GTX +960)

Just do your researches on ATi before buying their cards, they are great and powerful but their drivers can be joke just like Nc.

You're not going to experience any improvement on this game. I went from from a i7 950 / Nvidia GTX 460 to a i7 5280 with a Nvidia 970GTX and I hardly noticed a difference in GHS, SSP and BBBB.

That said, you should wait and get the Nvidia GTX 1070. The performance on it is comparable to a Nvidia Titan and it costs around 400$.

Never go AMD.

I built a new comp yesterday with i5-6600K, GTX970 with pro gaming MB and 32GB RAM (just in case). Not for B&S only and tbh I had little time to test it fully but what I observed so far is that when I had massive FPS drops before on my old rig I have it too on my new stuff. Only difference is that before I had drops to 1 FPS now I have drops to 20-30 FPS which is a massive improvement, not to mention I can run the game in max details now. 

TBH I think that the quality of parts like MB/GPU/RAM is crucial here not the nominal values.

Im running AMD 280 and i5-4690k OC @ 4.5Ghz and I have 30-50 fps during harvest. You will never ever get stable 30 without an overclocked cpu. Ive done everything I can to get the best performance. That means installing win7, no junk on my computer.

Only have chrome, discord, BnS, Avast, Crimson radeon driver. Pretty empty, overall 120 fps everywhere except for Grand Harvest. Stable 50 fps during baylee or big bad beetle with a crowded channel. 

My gf has an overclocked i5-6600k and she has about 5-7 more fps than me @ 4.4Ghz

Conclusion: Go hard or go home. This game is too badly optimized for you to build a rig and expext performance if you're not going all in.

12 hours ago, Zetsuei said:

Your first mistake is building a computer for this game, anyone will tell you it makes no sense because of how poorly optimized it is. Changing computer parts won't net you any large increases at all, the fluctuations in everyones fps is due to the memory leaks, and old directx build. There is a reason Korean B&S came out with an "Optimization patch" to deal with the shitty performance the game always had. 

Now if you still want to build something, like previous posts have mentioned 'Pascal' will be the new flagship for video cards in the next month, they out perform all current video cards including the TitanX for half the price. 1060 will be low end, and compete with 970 ($200 range) 1070 will be the next mid priced card and top 970, and be close to 980 performance ($399) and the TitanX/980 competition which Nvidia claims gets beat is the 1080 that comes in at around ($599) these prices are subjected to change, but I doubt they will change very much. 

As for a CPU it won't help very much at all tbh, I have 2 computers one with a i5-2500k and one with a i7-4790k both are overclocked (4.8ghz & 5.0ghz) both with 980ti's and the game still runs like complete garbage. The frame difference between the 2 are non existent due to the insane fluctuation in fps. A fart in the wind could make you drop 20fps in a instant, so buying parts for this game is pointless. If you want to buy parts for a PC build it for current gen games, so at least you don't hurt yourself in the future, when you move on. Now if you wish to not heed any warnings, your cpu is dependant on your choice of media. If you plan to stream, and do large multitasking, render, photoshop etc. i7 if you purely game, i5's are always the best. This game will NOT utilize multicores, so take what i've said as you will, I promise you the increase will be so small (unless you have a potatoe already as a comp) that you will be extremely disappointed. 

Good luck with your build. ^^

I do have kind of a potato because I haven't really played any 3D mmorpg before and this is my first. I need something to play with, and waiting for a month does not appeal to me. Thank you!

On 5/10/2016 at 11:22 PM, Zetsuei said:

The 1070 is supposedly faster than 2 970s in SLI but I agree don't build a new pc just for this game. If you like computer gaming in general that is the reason to do it.

On 5/12/2016 at 7:17 PM, RavTH said:

I have an really old 2012 gaming pc and it's still pretty good o.o . . .
Specs
CPU: i7-3770
GPU: GTX650
Ram: 8GB
FPS 80-70 (When record 70-60)
It still feels smooth enough for me...

A lot of it depends on your display resolution. Many gamers are using 1440P now which requires a heck of a lot more power than 1080P. It is worth it though for the extra space you get on your desktop and the higher pixel count in games.

Resolution makes no difference on any video card that has 1Gb + memory in BnS. Just saying.

When I switched my video card from HD7850 to an R9 290 (even overclocked) I saw no difference in performance. The only way I could get the game to run better was to overclock my CPU (3.4 Ghz -> 4.8Ghz).

Unless you have a NASA PC (and then overclock it), you won't be able to play on max details at decent fps in SSP. Maybe not even then, because why would the game engine want to use all your system's resources, right... ?

5 hours ago, GreenDestiny said:

A lot of it depends on your display resolution. Many gamers are using 1440P now which requires a heck of a lot more power than 1080P. It is worth it though for the extra space you get on your desktop and the higher pixel count in games.

my monitor size is 1280x1024
it's not really a gaming monitor but it's old and still working and I am happy with it and it's all I really need.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:27 AM, Alter said:

I'm going to build a pc with R9 390 or R9 390x and i5-6600 or i7-6700.

I'm not sure if i5-6600 will be good enough, and if it is, I rather not spend $84.00 more.

The same goes for the GPU except the price difference is $70 (minus $30 rebate prepaid card).

I want my pc to be able to run at least 30 fps always at Grand Harvest Square with near-max settings.

I plan not to overclock anything.

It also helps if you share your build and its performance.

Thank you!

don't waste your money on i7 cpu if you only play games. always go for i5, and invest the extra money that i7 costs for gpu or ram or put it back in your wallet/bank. if you do other stuff besides gaming then go for it. as for gpu, there will be new amd gpu's coming out this June(4xx Polaris line), and the HBM2 line on October(Vega). always go for non x. 390x has around 5fps more than 390(in some games the difference is even 2fps) and costs $110+ more. imo it's not worth it

Personally I have an i7-4790k, and an R9-280x and it handles the game just fine.

I turn my settings down during things like SSP, BW and GHS simply because turning players off has given me problems with crashing in the past, and I'd like to avoid that.

If I kept my settings as they were (max) and just turned off players I'd be fine during those events as well.

I get 80-120fps during general play (Shiverstone seems to be the only place it drops <100...).

And usually 40+ fps using combat settings with players enabled during things like SSP and GHS. (25+ fps with max settings and players enabled)

Disabling players would probably have me closer to 60 fps, but I'd rather not risk crashing.

Like all MMOs, a powerful CPU is going to be your biggest contribution to performance.

On 5/13/2016 at 3:46 AM, Brainy said:

Resolution makes no difference on any video card that has 1Gb + memory in BnS. Just saying.

When I switched my video card from HD7850 to an R9 290 (even overclocked) I saw no difference in performance. The only way I could get the game to run better was to overclock my CPU (3.4 Ghz -> 4.8Ghz).

Unless you have a NASA PC (and then overclock it), you won't be able to play on max details at decent fps in SSP. Maybe not even then, because why would the game engine want to use all your system's resources, right... ?

That's not true plenty of video cards have more than 1 GB of ram and are effected by resolution changes. There is far more to pushing pixels than the amount of RAM your card has.

@GreenDestiny

I never got more than 2 fps difference going from max resolution to minimum. You can try this yourself.

What I am trying to say is, resolution is the least performance gain - while making BnS look like a 90's game.

Sure, in newer graphics engine (UE4) resolution makes a HUGE difference, but I was talking about BnS.

On 5/19/2016 at 0:37 AM, Brainy said:

@GreenDestiny

I never got more than 2 fps difference going from max resolution to minimum. You can try this yourself.

What I am trying to say is, resolution is the least performance gain - while making BnS look like a 90's game.

Sure, in newer graphics engine (UE4) resolution makes a HUGE difference, but I was talking about BnS.

Sorry for the late reply. I think on low end cards which many people here play with the resolution does matter even if they have 1 GB+. Both of the cards you used probably have enough throughput for a game of this age.

Archived