Forums

Is anything being done to combat bots?

Fuz

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, they cant allocate the resources to hiring GMs and Mods to do that job.

Jeez.. if only there was some revolutionary way of having volunteer do the job for them for free like some other publishers... If only...

26 minutes ago, Myleina said:

Jeez.. if only there was some revolutionary way of having volunteer do the job for them for free like some other publishers... If only...

they do have GMs who ban them.

but theres several channels across several servers across alot of locations that bots are appearing in constantly.

not to mention tons of tickets regarding trouble getting game to work, or fixing lag,  or individual reports. (on top of constant threads on forums that need to be moderated)

and no. "revolutionary way of having volunteers do the job for them" leads to players that the "player mod" dislikes getting banned along side the bots.

for example, people who hate anime(they in game...why i dont know),   or people who hate Lyn and "furries" (again, you see these people in game. and several forum threads made by them....),    or people who hate an "OP class",     etc etc.

so when one of these people become a player mod, and then do a 180 and show their true colors as a troll/hater/toxic person.    NCsoft finds alot of complaints from players about being unjustly banned.   and has to go through ALL the banned accounts that the "player mods" have banned to find out who banned them, how many other innocents were banned  by them.  and so on

and the whole time, these innocents who got unjustly banned are leaving the game.

don't believe me? i've seen a religious nutcase spam crap in faction chat several times now.   when we got annoyed at them and told them to shut up. it went as well as you can expect.

now imagine this nutcase being a playermod and banning anyone who doesn't agree with them.  (no one realized what a nutcase this person was for weeks.  but once they showed their true colors......)

player mods are to big of a risk if it goes wrong.

this is why mods are employees where if they do this kind of thing they can be fined and fired for breaking their contract.

5 minutes ago, Tomoko said:

they do have GMs who ban them.

but theres several channels across several servers across alot of locations that bots are appearing in constantly.

not to mention tons of tickets regarding trouble getting game to work, or fixing lag,  or individual reports.

and no. "revolutionary way of having volunteers do the job for them" leads to players that the "player mod" dislikes getting banned along side the bots.

for example, people who hate anime(they in game...why i dont know),   or people who hate Lyn and "furries" (again, you see these people in game. and several forum threads made by them....),    or people who hate an "OP class",     etc etc.

so when one of these people become a player mod, and then do a 180 and show their true colors as a troll/hater/toxic person.    NCsoft finds alot of complaints from players about being unjustly banned.   and has to go through ALL the banned accounts that the "player mods" have banned to find out who banned them, how many other innocents were banned  by them.  and so on

and the whole time, these innocents who got unjustly banned are leaving the game.

don't believe me? i've seen a religious nutcase spam crap in faction chat several times now.   when we got annoyed at them and told them to shut up. it went as well as you can expect.

now imagine this nutcase being a playermod and banning anyone who doesn't agree with them.

player mods are to big of a risk if it goes wrong.

this is why mods are employees where if they do this kind of thing they can be fined and fired for breaking their contract.

The thing is, you're saying this as if Voluntary GM program means anyone can be a GM... Ofc not. Only pillar of the community, people who make their proof. I've played games with that kind of program in place and there was next to no issue at all. Then again of course, it was a smaller population than BNS... But still. Rules are in place. You cant have your GM account on the same server as your main account. You cant ban people or take extreme action against people. Could Mute people, could teleport bots to some places they cant farm, you could also answer tickets through an in-game support option... You had weekly meetings with Officials from the company..

You also had contracts with the company, so you can still be fined. You had to send paperworks signed etc, proofs (like driver license etc) of who you claim to be...  It's not just some random "click here to have GM power!!1!1!" button.

I know it cant be perfect, but they can surely find a way to make it so it helps them more than hurt them.. and it'll only help the game and the community grow, instead of helping the bots grow.

8 hours ago, Sennen said:

Sure you occasionally see bots running around the open world killing things, but anyone can group up a bunch of mobs and get them killed, particularly all the spin2win destroyers.

Speaking of open world.  I have a bunch of characters near 45, but none at it. Is there content or zones gated behind story progress/completion? I ask because yesterday, for nearly two hours, I was behind bots (identical preset destroyers with nonsense names and nonsense gear) who were clearly being manually leveled through story quests. Quests that clearly could not be automated - clean this statue here, light this oven there; that kind of stuff.   

This game must be pretty profitable to gold sellers if they're willing to take the time to walk characters through story progression.

1 minute ago, Myleina said:

The thing is, you're saying this as if Voluntary GM program means anyone can be a GM... Ofc not. Only pillar of the community, people who make their proof. I've played games with that kind of program in place and there was next to no issue at all. Then again of course, it was a smaller population than BNS... But still. Rules are in place. You cant have your GM account on the same server as your main account. You cant ban people or take extreme action against people. Could Mute people, could teleport bots to some places they cant farm, you could also answer tickets through an in-game support option... You had weekly meetings with Officials from the company..

I know it cant be perfect, but they can surely find a way to make it so it helps them more than hurt them.. and it'll only help the game and the community grow, instead of helping the bots grow.

ok, except even the "pillar of the community" players turn sour at times.

i've seen community contributors of games, who are popular, meet with the devs, and recieve special treatment.  

turn sour and curse the game when they feel they got cheated of a kill or duel.

i've seen them get caught hacking, i've seen them go pure hateful to the game over the course of 1 hour and resort to threatening players.

now imagien them muting people who speak against them, or say stuff they don't like.

imagine them teleporting these players places far away from the quests the players are at(like a high level area when the person is low level)

this causes backlash.  NCsoft now has to appologize to the muted people, unmute them (After findign the rage posts on forums, or the complaint support tickets)

plus has to accept people are leaving due to the abuse of power.

not just that. but you can't even let volunteers take care of support tickets as they can be abused.

how much abused?  someone in World of Warships was helping the moderators out and answerign support tickets.   they fked up and got 3 people who had been reported(falsely reported as they had done nothing wrong) week long bans.

those 3 people brought it up on reddit(as they got banned from the game's official forums)   and caused Wargaming(owning company) to have to face a massive public protest due to everyone on reddit finding out about this.    the player helping the mods got banned,  the 3 players got unbanned, but after seeing the weak system left the game anyway. and Wargaming's reputation got even worse.

hell lets look at Archeage.  an offical mod was banning bots, but didn't notice a player in the area doign quests that happened to be in the area the bots were.   he accidently banned the player with the bots.  and didn't realize it.  until that person's friends and guild went public with it.    

Moderating is something that needs to be done carefully.  by people who can be punished in a meaningful way if they mess up or turn sour.

otherwise the damage it can do to the game can be worse than the original problem.

1 hour ago, Myleina said:

jeez .if only ncsofy make milions of selling ncoins . if only ....

It's depressing, but I'm starting to think the answer is no.

They're still in KR, after what, 3 years?

It's true bots are in every MMO, but when they are this brazen and impact the game this much, normally they're curbed somehow.

NcSoft doesn't seem to give a shit.

Well i really don't want to do this, but i'm done here, so many bots, so many hacks, and nobodys stop them, the price of ss, mts, and premium tempered clay refiner is so low that i can't make decent gold, and i can't buy the items that i need with so low gold, so i know that you don't care, but maybe one day this will happen with you too.
So, this is all, good bye, i'm really sad and angry with this but i'm really tired. So nice to meet you people and i hope you can continue with this, i can't.

Hey Folks,

I don't know about you, but I know Blizzard considers botting a ban-able offense. Since launch, I've seen multiple Daisy chained bots doing endless circles, taking mobs from players who want to enjoy the game... At first I didn't care and thought it would be taken care of. Now Bots are in the PvP arenas... Really? How is that fun? What can NCWest do to curb this problem? As time progresses the amount of Gold Spammers has also increased! A few weeks ago I thought they had been virtually eliminated, but now they are back in full force... and even more recent they send friend requests too? I think its time for NCSoft to get serious about banning Gold Spammers and Players who are botting. Why have the report feature if nothing is being done about it? I enjoy the game and have looked forward to it since I learned about it 4 years ago... but bots are getting out of control... Please do something NCSoft.

-Sass-

This game is going downhill. Not going to elaborate much more on that, but I feel this was released to leech off players. The population is basically dead, and there are probably 10 bots for every real player that plays the game. I can't find this game enjoyable anymore and I'm really trying to like it :(

As on every server, there are many bots. This one specifically is farming for about 3-4 weeks now. I see the bot every day, so are many other players. This bot surely got reported many hundred or even thousands of times. There's absolutely no doubt that it's a bot.

So, why is it not banned yet? This is a honest question, not a rant.

17 hours ago, xArinx said:

I wish people stopped comparing WoW to everything.

First of all, WoW is part of a international brand that is Blizzard, one of the worlds top profitable gaming industry leader. Whatever they make, literally whatever it is, good or bad, people start throwing wallets at them. They have brand power, just like Apple. They are bigger, faster, stronger in every way... no pun intended. TL;DR, they have the resources for better management.

Now when you have a game like BnS, that's a whole different story.

Problem is, WoW is not free to play, thus making it consequential to try and broadcast for their gold, as most of the features are unavailable to people running a trial offer. It would be quite costly for them if they had to buy an expansion every time they wanted to do anything to sell their wares. Not to say people don't do it though, I had an old roomy who used to sell the gold sites his in-game money. (Well basically a site where he sold his in-game currency for someone else's  money) he got perm banned. Him and 8 other accounts he was running 

20 hours ago, Chii said:

put 2 GM's on every server

one in the open world and one in the arena, they can ban any bots they see or come in contact with. its not hard. WoW used to have GM's running around in the open world

why cant you? I dont see any Issue with this to atleast try and combat the bots.

Hey Chii, thanks for your suggestion! We actually already do have several GMs per server doing just that. We don't have them visible so that we don't upset the balance of nature and/or kung fu. Since bots can keep creating new accounts, this isn't efficient so we are also working on better automatic methods, which we continue to refine as the bots get more and more cleverer. 

Archived