Is all the $$$ and time spent worth it?

Anabella

So I played "Lineage 2", bought "AION" before it was even f2p, and now I am playing "Blade and Soul". The only NCSoft game I haven't tried is Wildstar (And I was actually considering it a week ago). My question is:

"Because of personal time and money invested, is it worth it to keep supporting publishers that turn greedy, or should we just move on?".

I feel "Blade and Soul" is the last NCSoft game I'll play (But you never know). I need fun... games are supposed to be fun... it's not fun any more. I mean, what's the purpose of making alts if we cannot even ever use them, simply because it is impossible to max out even just ONE character? It's been such a mind-numbing grind - even after all the money I spent (thx bad RNG) - that I find myself just staring at the screen then logging out, or just afking for hours.

The only reason I didn't try Wildstar is because NCSoft owns it (lol). I do know I am probably not the only person feeling like this, and after many years and "hundreds of hundreds" of dollars it's really hard to just "give up".  Is there still hope? I hate when people play but don't support games, so I have done my part to make them rich. I feel something needs to be given back... fun.

Also, I just realized all the best games in the West are single player rpgs. Can someone point me to a fun MULTIPLAYER game with great action, good customization, good population, and fashion? It can be a shooter, etc., but needs to be third person. . >.<

Um the same, Bartz yo.  Played L2 for years, bought Aion and played for some months, it was cool but i didnt like the flying.   Now im back on another ncsoft mmo.   The korean ones are the only mmo i can get into.

there is no lineage eternal so im playing this for a while.

why you spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars?  Thats really the question? I spent like 60-80$ bucks on trove.  But thats far from hundreds...

7 minutes ago, LOLCats said:

why you spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars?  Thats really the question? I spent like 60-80$ bucks on trove.  But thats far from hundreds...

Well, to support the games so they don't die. I want people around to see my fashion -Haha.

The problem is when publishers get greedy and it ruins the game. Everything is too costly and time-consuming, even for people that pay. I have over 40 Naryu Tablets from just the "Trove Event" but I cannot imagine how people that don't pay much get anything upgraded without getting sick of the game.

I don't want pay-to-win, but it really is that. I don't like being overpowered in any game, and I feel that anything I buy should be accessible to non-paying players in a short time too, so that they don't leave.

90% my friendslist don't log on any more, and I really miss chatting with those people that I first met in-game, before I progressed so far beyond them and they were stuck in an unreasonable grind. We used to link costumes to each other, etc., and now it's just a lonely, boring grind.

2 hours ago, Anabella said:

Can someone point me to a fun MULTIPLAYER game with great action, good customization, good population, and fashion? It can be a shooter, etc., but needs to be third person. . >.<

Warframe - PvE, TPS, SPace Ninja game, with Guns and Swords. Constantly in the Top 15 Steam games. And it's endgame is fashionframe, so yeah. :P

Other than that, there is Nosgoth that I play. It is PvP, btw.

Also, I played Ghost Recon Phantoms which is a very good tactical shooter PvP game, but, it has one major problem. It is a bit P2W. Most of the times it is about skill and tactics, but some matches might have opponents with higher level guns.

7 hours ago, NN13 said:

Warframe - PvE, TPS, SPace Ninja game, with Guns and Swords. Constantly in the Top 15 Steam games. And it's endgame is fashionframe, so yeah. :P

Other than that, there is Nosgoth that I play. It is PvP, btw.

Also, I played Ghost Recon Phantoms which is a very good tactical shooter PvP game, but, it has one major problem. It is a bit P2W. Most of the times it is about skill and tactics, but some matches might have opponents with higher level guns.

All these games, especially Warframe, have very ugly creatures/hero. I think Guild Wars 2, Elsword, and some other games have the best kind of fashion that allows us to make our own combination of clothing parts, but I am looking for newer, more fun games.

I keep hearing ppl say its pay to win, its not. You don't HAVE to pay in order to progress. Imo it's more pay bc I'm ridiculously impacient and want it all and want it now.

They have free events to get items for no cost and free daliy dash items, but ppl see the need to pay for more, then get disgruntled about it. You... ...dont... have... to pay. 

On the other hand; the mats to upgrade shit is higher then any game I have seen, so it makes it too grindy to have many toons. But focasing on one seems the way to go, or two, as long as your not in a big fired hurry to get everything now.

So is it worth time and money? All up to you, but def set a limit, try it out- if your not happy, move on.

My 2 cents. =p'

On 5/5/2016 at 0:40 PM, LilMsQT said:

I keep hearing ppl say its pay to win, its not. You don't HAVE to pay in order to progress. Imo it's more pay bc I'm ridiculously impacient and want it all and want it now.

They have free events to get items for no cost and free daliy dash items, but ppl see the need to pay for more, then get disgruntled about it. You... ...dont... have... to pay. 

On the other hand; the mats to upgrade shit is higher then any game I have seen, so it makes it too grindy to have many toons. But focasing on one seems the way to go, or two, as long as your not in a big fired hurry to get everything now.

So is it worth time and money? All up to you, but def set a limit, try it out- if your not happy, move on.

My 2 cents. =p'

I know what you mean but the problem is that they have released everything all at once, so the people that would have farmed for months to catch up to us that pay are VERY far behind now.

I find myself feeling sorry for people because of it. It's unfair to let paying people be too far ahead. I don't want to be around just 100 people with super-gear; I'd rather have thousands playing and enjoying the game.

I am pretty sure they're just trying to get as much as they can before games like "Revelation Online" and "Moonlight Blade" come to the West. BnS won't survive those two games... I don't think any MMORPG will. I'm just going to save my money from now on >.<

Edit: I don't know a single game that survives if it makes it so hard for new players to reach content. Even those of us at max level get tired of the same routine daily. Anyone that cannot even get to try the higher content (for months) won't stay around.

1 hour ago, Anabella said:

I am pretty sure they're just trying to get as much as they can before games like "Revelation Online" and "Moonlight Blade" come to the West. BnS won't survive those two games... I don't think any MMORPG will. I'm just going to save my money from now on >.<

I'm so bored of BnS, because of the endless grind which you even need to pay if you want to progress fast (Sorry but it's like a pay to win for me, pay to progress is like pay to become stronger than anyone IN NO TIME)... And also with the horrible community.

I'm also waiting for Revelation Online to come to west, the game have a nice classes and graphics too.

On 5/5/2016 at 1:36 AM, Anabella said:

I need fun... games are supposed to be fun... it's not fun any more. I mean, what's the purpose of making alts if we cannot even ever use them, simply because it is impossible to max out even just ONE character? It's been such a mind-numbing grind - even after all the money I spent (thx bad RNG) - that I find myself just staring at the screen then logging out, or just afking for hours.

Action speaks louder then words, and your action already told you the answer.

Hm, to answer your titular question. NO. MMOs are about fun and community. Sad to say it but this one is anything BUT community and fun. Part of it is because the design of the game is really bad. What with too high upgrade costs in materials and gold, what with content coming out way too fast for anyone to properly catch up with it, what with a multitude of servers and what with automatic match-up tools the game offers, but this game is losing... Well I wouldn't say players but its community aspect. No one talks to anyone anymore, people are mostly just trying to finish up daily quests and dungeons to get on to even more grinding to get money for their equipment and so on. IMO this is not what a good MMO should look like. Games in general should be about fun, not about working constantly to get things. Until I have set it up so in my mind, this game felt like a job to me. Add to that numerous RNG-based aspects of the game, hackers, farmers, lags and bad optimization and you basically get a discouraging environment where only those who pay or cheat want to play. So, I don't really think the game is any fun even when you reach max equipment in it as there is simply nothing to do there besides constantly doing the same thing.

There is also the community which is terrible. I don't think it's necessarily our fault because most people I hear are seeing the game as another job. And when you have that attitude towards the game, it's likely to happen that the attitude you have towards your colleagues on your job will carry on to the game. And that attitude is quite bad for most of the people. I had a friend whom I managed to persuade to play the game and what's even better, that friend was actually optimistic about it but once the game had started, it quickly turned into a nightmare. After all of that, I advised my friend to not even bother with the game as the game where you get gray hair from stress is not worth playing. You are supposed to have fun in there and all of the above mentioned reasons are why most people don't want to play the game or make the atmosphere more bearable, less toxic.

I still cling onto the game for some reason. Maybe because I hope it will get better but that hope is slowly dying. I've got better things to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:18 PM, Anabella said:

All these games, especially Warframe, have very ugly creatures/hero. I think Guild Wars 2, Elsword, and some other games have the best kind of fashion that allows us to make our own combination of clothing parts, but I am looking for newer, more fun games.

You do realise that "Warframe have ugly hero" is entirely your opinion?

You asked for suggestions and I provided with what I could. If you do not like the games I suggested, don't play them. As simple as that.

There was no reason for you to quote me.

I find Warframe to be one of the best games, but that doesn't mean everyone will like it. Just like it doesn't mean that Warframe has ugly heroes is a fact.

Ncsoft is a publisher that hosts dev teams, finance and publish their games.

Bns was given to bunch of random people called themselves developers "Bloodlust".

GW 2 in another hand, is under Ncsoft, running by Anet.

A team that really care about their reputation and work, they actually listen to people idea and suggestions in the forums. No p2w of any kind, and reasonable prices in the cash shop, ~9$ for outfit that can be used by any character in you account forever.

Nc don't care about them as long as they get their share of the profits, and Bloodlust is taking this chance as cow milking.

It's all depends on the team running the game.

BnS turned to how much you spend $$$ and luck on RNG.

Yeah not worth it.

Strange how GW is not listed in Nc site, no Nc logo on game lol xD

On 5/5/2016 at 6:48 PM, Anabella said:

warframe takes place in a futuristic set up. You arent even human :p I personally like  warframe and all but it didnt catch me because of the weird targetting and spell combo they run there. just doesnt feel fluid for me at least.

Well theres Vindictus but that game is under Nexon which isnt much better +game's population is kinda dead 'EU at least' and since the game uses peer to peer system for hosting dungeons it becomes quite a problem cause no players=no hosts/runs.

I'm a free2play player btw,not everyone can afford to spend money on games that easy:P

the problem is that people feel under-geared when they do f8 literally its filled with people wanting 550+ AP for EVERY DUNGEON. I'm not going to lie, I am a victim to this too if i just want a nice and simple run although i've done plenty of runs of different dungeons and oh man... if people dont get FM carried in Yeti your in for a time of your life. Also you get those few people that die ONCE in a dungeon and call everyone else noobs and they're actually the problem had this happen in an Asura 6man pug with a 560AP FM complaining about other people not doing the stun and knockdown mechanic during 2nd boss when he's doing crap incorrectly (stunning green adds > knocking down blue adds). He left after he died and i just recruited randoms and we completed the dungeon easily.

I invest a lot of time and money into games I enjoy. I play for a week and if it's worth my time then I will pay for subscription and other items. I done it with Runescape, Guild Wars, Blade and Soul and I will do it with other games in the future.

BRING ON NO MAN'S SKY!

Personally, I am starting to lose interest. I pay premium every month and did so pretty much from the start. I log on every day for my daily challenges. I could be earning more gold and more XP but it would require me to play (rather: grind the same content) more than I'm comfortable with. Right now I've got my weapon upgraded to True Pirate and when I look at the mats needed to upgrade to True Breeze, I just lose interest. Even with one of those event upgrade stones it's still ridiculously pricey. To me the game is screaming "PAY US MORE!!!1" over and over again, because that's the only real way to speed up the process. And I'll admit I've actually spent quite a bit of money in the store too, but this feels unrewarding and even simply wrong since I already pay for premium too.

Not to mention the fact that everything in this game is a grind. Want to upgrade your gear? Grind for months on end! Want to learn all the skills your class can learn? More grinding! Want to make the grind slightly easier/cheaper? Just grind the event dungeon instead! Want to reach max HM level? Just do the same daily quests over and over! Finally caught up your gear and level to whatever the current content is? Well, sucks to be you, have some more content!

The business model in this game is horrible and the fact that you can actually pay to upgrade your gear faster is making it P2W anyway. Especially with new content coming out every few weeks that causes us all to be behind on everything once again.

Stop wasting your money on trying to make this game P2W. This game be done with some time, detection, and skills. Granted I haven't gotten legendary weapons yet, but honestly I don't need to. 

Solution to P2W: get good. Whether if that means skill wise or gear wise, it's not that hard to get somewhere in this game. 

So your answer: it is not worth your time spending money here unless it's for brilliant keys, or outfits.

Honestly I get by just fine here, do I think it's NCsoft's fault? Heck no!

Its not their fault people bot, hack, and sell gold in their game! The only thing I blame them for is arena lag. 

My end point: it is worth it. 

18 minutes ago, ARC-1276 said:

Stop wasting your money on trying to make this game P2W. This game be done with some time, detection, and skills. Granted I haven't gotten legendary weapons yet, but honestly I don't need to. 

Err. You realize that with the pace the game receives updates it's pretty much impossible to catch up to current content, while the game somehow does expect you to do so? The daily challenges include Sogun's Lament and Cold Storage. Especially SL isn't exactly for everyone, and not doing that means you're pretty much "forced" to do all the other quests regardless of how much you may hate PvP.

18 minutes ago, ARC-1276 said:

Solution to P2W: get good. Whether if that means skill wise or gear wise, it's not that hard to get somewhere in this game. 

Nothing here has anything to do with "git gud." You can't get good skill wise because your skills are literally behind a (gold) paywall. You can't get good gear wise because everything requires you to invest massive amounts of time just to get the mats required. Pretty much the only way to keep caught up with current content is to run the same dungeon over and over for stingers which you then either use to upgrade or sell so you can pay for the other expensive mats. I don't know what your idea of a good time is, but my view doesn't include farming Yeti for nights on end.

12 hours ago, Laneera said:

Err. You realize that with the pace the game receives updates it's pretty much impossible to catch up to current content, while the game somehow does expect you to do so? The daily challenges include Sogun's Lament and Cold Storage. Especially SL isn't exactly for everyone, and not doing that means you're pretty much "forced" to do all the other quests regardless of how much you may hate PvP.

Nothing here has anything to do with "git gud." You can't get good skill wise because your skills are literally behind a (gold) paywall. You can't get good gear wise because everything requires you to invest massive amounts of time just to get the mats required. Pretty much the only way to keep caught up with current content is to run the same dungeon over and over for stingers which you then either use to upgrade or sell so you can pay for the other expensive mats. I don't know what your idea of a good time is, but my view doesn't include farming Yeti for nights on end.

Well progress is slow, but I will eventually catch up. Besides, I'm fine with not being maxed gear instantly, it gives me a reason to keep playing after we finish the story.

6 hours ago, ARC-1276 said:

Well progress is slow, but I will eventually catch up. Besides, I'm fine with not being maxed gear instantly, it gives me a reason to keep playing after we finish the story.

I'm fine with not having maxed out gear. I'm not fine with having to run older content that none of my friends is still interested in just for mats or skills. I'm not fine with having to play any PvP because it's the only way to gain certain skills or materials. And most of all I really don't want to be running Yeti for hours every day.

On 5/5/2016 at 11:36 PM, Anabella said:

Can someone point me to a fun MULTIPLAYER game with great action, good customization, good population, and fashion? It can be a shooter, etc., but needs to be third person. . >.<

Have you tried SWTOR? If you have not, and you go on a high populated server, SWTOR has a wealth of story-lines (8, one for each character class (!) with like choice of answers (!) ALL voiced (!)) and tons of things to do. Everything comes naturally in SWTOR (gear, achievements, credits, etc), if you pay sub. Like the alts actually share achievements and everything, and there is legacy gear and storage, and you get a grant of their shop currency to the subs monthly from day one, and there are strongholds, tons of pets, mounts, legacy gear... 

All and all, after playing BnS, I come to realize just how good of a game SWTOR is. :) The combat system is far more cumbersome with tons of abilities, but that's the only area BnS shines.

Archived