Warlock usefulness in parties -- what role?

Noellessa

Hi all,

I'm a solo player mostly, and have gotten my warlock to 50 HM4 with around 459AP.  However, I have never done any of the level 45 purple dungeons, let alone any of the level 50 purple ones, since I am hesitant to due to the toxicity that I hear about and how people call everyone who has never run it 'noobs' and disband.  However, I really, really need to upgrade my SS so I figure I better at least try to run some -- I think my AP should be high enough at least for some?  Anyways, my question is: what is the warlock role in the party besides providing some dps and soul burn (which I still need to learn when to use).  Do most parties mostly bring WL for the buff?  Or care a lot about the dps?  Thanks for any input!

What server are you on by chance?

And WLs bring decent damage + Soulburn which can save a part when crucially used. People understand a WL will not dps like an FM will. In fact, it surprises people if I pull aggro over a similar or higher geared FM in parties. You're able to also negate CC (when you have more spare points) with sanctum and you can do little things to help like summoning your thrall on top of melee players or with your ranged dps (if you're not comfortable going melee) for a brief increase in AP. The only thing I'd say worry about is that your chains don't reset bosses. Lately I haven't been noticing it esp in dungeons but you can use this to reset mobs like in Yeti Cavern.

459 AP is way more than enough for lvl 45 dungeons, and even for lvl 50 ones for the 6-men instances (already did some of them with max AP being 430 and most members around 390 - 410 AP). So you're absolutely fine about your stuff I think, maybe not in crit but it should do.
For the WL usefulness, the buff alone is a great advantage so you'll always be appreciated, I don't really know about WL damage but I think it's totally relevant anyway, so you should not face any problem doing these dungeons,

Thanks Enamour and Ayuhi -- I guess I should try them out and hope to at least use soul burn at the good times ^^  @Enamour - I'm on Mushin server.  I've joined a few clans, but I don't think they are anything like what I led/joined in FF14.  Most don't chat often, and also don't really seem to run dungeons together.  I think it is mostly because here in B&S you don't NEED roles like tank and healer, so there's less need to really make connections and/or keep 'good' players on friendlist or in a clan.  Hopefully someday I'll find one that does runs together regularly and is also newbie friendly!  Thanks!

On my FM i totally skip any lvl 45 and 50 purple dungeons. Now lvl 50  am at 441AP and around 37k hp (41k hp now). I was scare to do them in case I screw up. Wasn't sure I can do 6man but my guidemate invite to do 6man blackram and bloodshed habour. It was fun! If you have around 440AP and 30k hp you will have 0 issue doing Balcram even if you screw up a few times. You have more than AP and HP to live through a few mistakes. Bloodshed habour is a bit harder and more punishing. I made a few mistakes and almost die but nothing I can't recover from. So I say at least give blackram a try. If you did the dailies before the boss does pretty much the same thing.

In terms of lvl 50 purple dungeons I still haven't try it yet. Reason being pugs expect you to know the fight right away and aren't too forgiving when you make a mistake. Me being a FM is expect I should ice stealth at the right time and I am not sure if I can do that yet......

Archived