Forums

Do You Have Alts & How Is It Going?

DomiSotto

I got FM/KFM/BM/WL/Destroyer/low lvl SIN 35/ a banker low lvl/a low lvl SUM. Yep i got alts... Tho, only 3 that is not max lvl.(i know, sux that i cannot make any more characters on that server now.)

I still play them, not so much tho.

I took one up and then started a new and so on. Didnt really change much between them while i was leveling them.

Im not sure if i ever max the SIN and the SUM to 50 tho. I think i will leave this game before lol.

I can say this much, if your thinking of starting so many characters. IF and i do mean IF you get tired of a class, logout and start on the other. You wont forget the keys, i didnt and so i dont think you would.

You can always start with doing 1 or two hours a day on each, then slowly go up.(If you have that much time.) Then you shouldnt get bored of one class.

Im not bored of mine, im more bored of the way the game is. The fact that we get longer in the game process if we spend LOADS of real money makes me sick and bored of it.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wee, I just got my first French benefit from my alts. My level 19 destroyer that I struggled to log into hit Level 3 crafting this morning, and despite all my struggles, I only had to buy 8.5 gold worth of mats in addition to what I already had to get 10 Moonwater Transformation Stones crafted. Now, yes, the MTS are cheapo right now, but buying each was a nerve-wrecking event so far. I can see how if only I could level a couple more alts, I can simply only do the content I personally like and start trading for the materials from the content I do not like.

Made my day & looking forward to playing my WL tomorrow. Actually starting to think I'll playing my alts more as soon as my main hits that target level gear. I think I will be by far more comfortable with that method of playing than to try to emulate the super-cool folks that go higher and higher on one main!

First I made Destroyer for arena PvP. Then I made Warlock due to complete domination of one faction on my server and because its ranged.

Surprisingly levelling was not so boring as I did only yellow quests + exp runs using soup on well know grinding spots. It was actually quite fun to figure out and optimize skills on new classes in order to be efficient.

With Destroyer it was easy to step in arena , it had one quite easy learning curve. I am able to farm soulstones comfortably if I decide to.

With Warlock i decided to upgrade gear as I wanted to be efficient in ss plains. I was not happy that I  had to do same grind with alt as with main, under worse conditions, due to abondoned zones and some broken 4-6 item merges.

If I will do any alts in future , it will be for PvP purposes. Shame as a lot of problems could be easily solved by making few items account bound, such as warrior tokens, emblems for example...

I also tried to cover more professions on my alts , however at the end i just copied tree fellers/potters/soulwardens on one of them due to poor crafting profession design.

19 hours ago, Nilkemios said:

....I would think it'd be obvious, but here goes. Warning, wall of text here. T.l.d.r. version pending. (sigh)

1 - No Shared Storage. This is a big no-no. I feel like there should be a rule stating that if you are making an MMO, that you have to have some kind of storage accessible by any/all characters a player will create, because I'm sure many people playing any MMO will want to make more than one character. Even Aion had a Shared Storage, and that game was made by NCSoft as well. Blade and Soul has no excuse for not having one.

2 - I'm sure by this point, you've already considered mentioning that alts can mail stuff to each other, assuming they're on the same server. Except that you had to have spent money on NCoin (or one of the Founder Packs before the game came out) to have access to this function. They claimed you could mail stuff to other alts just fine initially, (but would have to spend money on NCoin if you wanted to be able to mail to others) but there have already been threads about people mentioning how this is not true at all. So, they gated the ability to mail things, something any other game lets you do normally, behind a paywall. Not right. At all.

3 - Lv15+ characters require 7 DAYS to delete. This, coupled with having only two slots available (three if you were around for the warlock event) means if you level a character past that point and find it's not to your liking, you are stuck with it for a week until you can reroll to something else...meaning that if the other character you have also turns out poorly, well...let's just say that waiting a week to do anything is not fun. Ever.

4 - Very linear quest/leveling/upgrade progression. In most other MMOs I've played, if you didn't want to do the story/side quests, you didn't really have to. Blade and Soul, however, forces you to do so in order to unlock side/daily quests so you can level up at a decent pace. There is little to no sense of freedom/exploration in doing so either.

Example : From the Gloomdross Forest (about Lv10 or so), there is a path north into the Cinderlands region. However, there's no point in taking this path because without the Cinderlands story quests unlocked, the other side/daily quests won't be either, so there is almost no reason to bother doing so until the story dictates that you need to go there. In addition, both Moonwater Plains and Silverfrost Mountains are completely locked off to you until the story parts that send you there via Dragon Pulse, with no other way to reach them.

So in the end, leveling up an alt means doing the same story (and usually the same side/daily) quests over and over again, with the only real variety being from whatever class (and thus combat style) you're using. And the game's story is nowhere near good enough to make up for this.

5 - The upgrade progression system is just as horridly linear and tedious as the quest system. Because your Hongmoon weapon and accessories are going to be better than anything at the same level (and even gear above level too!), you are stuck to having to upgrade them. While it starts off simple enough by feeding them junk weapons and such until they reach their limit, it becomes troublesome when you get to the Breakthrough/Evolution parts, where they now require a certain item(s) to go any further, being either from field bosses or dungeons, and often having a not so nice helping of RNG. And then from Tomb of Exiles and Moonwater Plains onward, the entire upgrade system jumps off a cliff and into a brick wall. But that's for another thread.

T.L.D.R. Version :

- No Shared Storage/Bank is stupid.

- Mailing to alts requires you to pay real money. More stupid.

- 7 day wait on deleting characters that are Lv15+, discouraging experimentation.

- You have to do the story and some sidequests every time. Tedious.

- You have to run many of the same dungeons/field bosses again on alts as well, cause you can't save Heroic upgrade gear for alts. Also, from Tomb of Exiles onward, you are forced to group up for upgrade material when the game pretty much discourages it. Stupid and Tedious.

Because of this, I have only two Lv50s, both of which I stopped playing soon after getting to 50. A Warlock and a Destroyer, both of whom are actually using the story weapons/accessories from the Silverfrost campaign because those are better than the Awakened Infernal equipment those two are stuck with, because of the previously mentioned upgrade system. I tried leveling an Assassin, and got to 37, but lost interest shortly after that.

- Actually I love that every character has his own bank. I would be really *cricket*ed if it was shared with my others toons.

- I don't really know about this, I'm a Master Pack user and never got problems with that, I only have to put silver. Not a big deal. However I don't understand why you should do a toon in another server, but that's just my opinion.

- That's not a problem for me neither since I actually tried all classess in other servers before NA existed, and, btw, I like all classes. However, I think thats KINDA cool. I have seen a lot of cases of stupid girlfriends who delet their boyfriends characters just because they are jealous about a *cricket*ing game. Same with assholes "friends". However I can undestand your point, but that's nothing bad at all for me. You can always buy new character slots. NCsoft alredy gifted one in the WL event.

- Tedious, yeah, but that's part of the game. If you can't handle that... then well, don't do it. I lvled a looot of toons, even in other servers and I can be sure its hella tedious, but it just take 2 - 3 days for me like TOO much to end Moonwater. It's not really tedious.

- Not really. If you have a high lvl toon you can solo it with it and just find the thrash to lvl your alt gear. I don't waste my time farming Tomb of Exiles bopae, I just run with other people to get the things I need to evolve that aren't tradeable. Then I just solo, or as I said, I just send it some thrash i collect from my Main.

The only "bad" thing for me is.. you HAVE to put gold to at least got to True Profane, but if you have a main, everything else is easier. You collect all the break things with it and mail it to your alt, then just F8 one time or try to get help from someone else to get the non-tradeable things. People never bid more than 10s for these things and that's nothing.

I really liked shared Legacy Storage in SWTOR. There, the character had an individual storage and the Legacy storage. It made it far easier to do crafting. Well, SWTOR also does not require you to take the crafting materials out of the storage to your inventory to craft. It first uses the stuff in your inventory, then looks into storage. I would love that system on BnS.

I would also love it if every purple drop was Account bound, not char-bound. As someone who got 28 drops of Hujikar weapons, with multiple copies of each weapon of every class but my own... yep, I would have loved that!

I was actually glad that you had to play for the mail feature. Getting a few NS Coins helped me to bypass some tedium on my Mian because I bought a couple of regional keys, and I have enough left over for another character slot or more keys. And, I felt that the game is well worth those 10$ I dropped on mail. I also subbed for a month now, but I saw that initial payment as by far a better deal that what I get out of the sub.

I like leveling, and with my main it took me those 3 weeks they gave us for the Challenge. I am almost curious if I played only my alt, if I could do it in 2 weeks. I am pretty much at the level of gear I want on my main, so I might actually switch to the alt completely so I could have a bit more efficiencies in my version of the end-game once he is level 50.

I also think that one thing about alting that will help is having an alt on each faction to swap out for more efficient OW PvP area clearing.

And, yay, it's an Alt day for me today, so I will be Warlocking! He's still at level 17, and I would really like to see him to hit 20. Fingers crossed! I confess that I did cheat and spend about an hour this morning finishing the dailies on my main before the reset, but well, maybe I can manage not to fall asleep and put in extra time on the WL in the evening.

I think I finally see how to enjoy the game my way & only do fun stuff & stop stressing over the things I cannot do!

Existing!

On ‎22‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:15 AM, Riliane said:

- Actually I love that every character has his own bank. I would be really *cricket*ed if it was shared with my others toons.

i don't love it at all. i'm lvl'ing an alt, and since the mail for alts is bugged(3++ months and still no fix), i can't mail him breakthrough and other items that i have. it's not fun at all having to farm again for breakthrough items, items for feeding, and materials when i have them on the vault of my main. i waste ton of hours to grind for feed items etc

On 4/22/2016 at 4:15 AM, Riliane said:

One doesn't exclude the other.
Three tabs: Basic - Secondary - Shared

In respect to storage, I would also add, that it would be far easier than sending items 3 at a time via mail!

And, wow, made it to level 27, and so far had some crazy luck with razors popping as free drops and outta chests on the first try. It's like the game wants me to level a Warlock. The experience has been far, far smoother than the first time, because I remember all the points where I got stuck on my main. And, of course, a helpful shipment of aid in a pinch is not going amiss either.

And, after fighting against a sin on my main in an arena, OMG, I want it as my next char instead of the Destroyer. :)

So, a happy alt'er still, and, a much happier gamer. TBH, if the game shuts down 3 months from now like all the doom-and-gloom folks are saying, I'd be sorrowful over the hours I invented into grinding the end-game on my main, rather than trying out an alt.

On 4/23/2016 at 11:15 AM, Hongmoon said:

I just use them to farm stingers. 12-21 stingers a day from dailies is nice. I'd normally farm ssp, but that place is riddled with hackers now.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Would be a good go-to for people that can't really 4 man farm as well.

3 minutes ago, Enamour said:

That actually sounds like a good idea. Would be a good go-to for people that can't really 4 man farm as well.

Well, it's true on any gearing level. You basically trade in doing difficult content on a Main for multiples of easier content on the alts. Intensive vs extensive growth model. But you also get to play different characters too, if you like creating characters.

4 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

Well, it's true on any gearing level. You basically trade in doing difficult content on a Main for multiples of easier content on the alts. Intensive vs extensive growth model. But you also get to play different characters too, if you like creating characters.

That moment when you feel kind of silly for not thinking about something sooner lol. Think I'll try that. Still need to get my Destroyer and FM up to 50 but shouldn't be too hard.

On 23/4/2016 at 6:08 PM, Ginki said:

i don't love it at all. i'm lvl'ing an alt, and since the mail for alts is bugged(3++ months and still no fix), i can't mail him breakthrough and other items that i have. it's not fun at all having to farm again for breakthrough items, items for feeding, and materials when i have them on the vault of my main. i waste ton of hours to grind for feed items etc

But you said it: Thats because A BUG. I never got it bugged, however I can understand you, because NCsoft just don't care about bugs and they *cricket*ed with me more than once with their errors. You dont have to blame the non-shareable bank, you have to blame the stupid bug that NCsoft refuse to fix, like many others (As I say, I suffer for others bugs too... so I can feel you in that way).

HOWEVER, if you don't have them in other sv, you can always say to a good friend to trade the break and all that to you. (I don't know if you can trade with F8 now, I hear something like that but i dunno.)

One doesn't exclude the other.
Three tabs: Basic - Secondary - Shared

That's different of what I said, however this would be cool, and I don't know if this is true or not since I don't play on asian servers anymore but some of them actually have the 3rd "Shared" tab, but im not sure, its just something I read some time ago.

i have 45 wl not geared just lvled him for event things what we get months ago, and 2x lvl 50 what i play on both, but gearing just 1 of them what is my kfm xD 528ap 207%+cdmg 54%cr and hm lvl is 6 almost 7, and my sin im not gearing 512ap, all items for lvl 45 cap only 195%+cdmg 56%cr and hm7 almost 8, if someone ask if im casher, than my answer is no, can proof with history, playing from 19 january doing dailys only for exp and gold 1500+dq done at kfm and 1850+ at sin and everyday 35-36 daily quests on sin and kfm, 36 i told cause its depends if i get intel xD so in total just 70-72 dq so boring but on ea char that 35-36 quests take up to 2h-2h30min max, but worth it in calculate from both chars its like 100g+ depends on luck from daily dungs :)

6 hours ago, DomiSotto said:

This is how I've been approaching content since launch. I'd rather be a few gear tiers behind having some variety in what I'm playing and working on, rather than being the person who grinds on just one class but has pimp stats.

I do need to get more characters to 50, though. Those extra skill points and story quest gold are sexy.

I've made it to level 28 so far, and with this new content patch feeling tempted to ignore the main and just level while I have sub and get a bit of extra xp. Well, I guess I can get my 16 ss on the main, since that doesn't take long....

i also feel like making a trial run to Bamboo Village on an FM vs Sin to see which one I'd like as my last alt. looking at how things play out, in the end two is my preference, or three if I give up on PvE.

38 minutes ago, Bardo said:

Sounds good and good luck to you. I stoped playing for now. I only come on forums to see if there is anything to write.

Take care :) I will play it by ear. I am oing decide when my month of sub is up, if I am going back to my Mass Effect playthrough, or keep fooling around in BnS.

14 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

Take care :) I will play it by ear. I am oing decide when my month of sub is up, if I am going back to my Mass Effect playthrough, or keep fooling around in BnS.

Thanks you too. Im prolly going to play my KFM from time to time. But thats just solo PvE stuff, i enjoy killing my mobs with their own skills lol many people that has seen me ingame doing just that, has stoped and looked for a while. Maybe they thought i was botting... lol

I just quickly say, it's for fun and yes i do that for a long time.

I just this week created my first alt but it is on a different server: mushin. My main is a summoner that is on Old Man Cho. This will be much more difficult without help from my main. But I feel like my server is dying slowly and I wanted to see if mushin was any better. Also I am getting very bored with logging in each day and farming the same thing over and over .... and over again.

So far so good. I am trying an FM now and having fun. It's fun unlocking new skills and learning about a new class. Gives the game a new perspective.  Will see if it entertains me for a while. Only time will tell.

-Lvl 50FM main

-lvl 47 summoner

-lvl 46 BM

-Lvl 41 WL

-Lvl 21 KFM

-Lvl 22 Desto

Once you reach max level is very boring. Not much to do expect grind grind grind. Try leveling other alts but is almost the same. I want to try to play melee but at lower levels melee seems to have a hug disadvantage when doing dungeons.

Archived