Can we ever be another race?

Domio

Hi, i like to ask, can we ever become another race for the Summoner class?

I really dont like the Lyn race and i like to try Summoner class :/ I got nothing against people playing that race, i just dont like it for my character.

Unfortunately not. Lyn has 2 exclusive classes, and Summoner is one of them. You can try making a Lyn with less pronounced tail and ears, and of a taller statue. I was not fond of the idea of having to create one, but the class is well-worth playing a pixie.

I concur. The whole lock out of classes for specific species is cheap. It is not a lore-heavy game, it has a barely comprehensive background story (that only gets Okay in Act IV and is borrowed from a telenovella), it does not have a race-specific areas or any content that lets you be immersed in your species (the whole Lyn village and every Lyn NPC ignored that I was a Lyn), there is next to no world-building content, so the racial lock-outs are all about... I dunno, saving on animations? It is certainly not a quality substitute for racial specific content.

At least do what SWTOR does, initially you have racial restrictions, but once you got one character of a specific race to level 50 you unlock the race for any class you want or you can buy an account unlock for cash (hey, now that's an idea, no?).

I love the race, and I'm glad we have unique race/class combinations. I sincerely hope it does not become an option at any point in the future to change this, as I feel it would greatly detract from the aesthetic and lore of the game.

13 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

I love the race, and I'm glad we have unique race/class combinations. I sincerely hope it does not become an option at any point in the future to change this, as I feel it would greatly detract from the aesthetic and lore of the game.

And the lore it would detract from is... ? The character creator? The paragraph that vaguely alludes to Lyns being connected to natural forces, just like Yuns? Do point me to that rich lore treasure trove, please!

1 hour ago, DomiSotto said:

At least do what SWTOR does, initially you have racial restrictions, but once you got one character of a specific race to level 50 you unlock the race for any class you want or you can buy an account unlock for cash (hey, now that's an idea, no?).

+1 Would be nice to have an option to unlock race in cash shop after you reach cap level on that job/class race, it's an ideal for more cash flow but I doubt NCsoft gonna follow that route. I do love summoner job (for me summoner is more tamer job lol because there is nothing related to "summon" skill from Lyn with their cat while warlock is a real summoner) but I don't want to be a Lyn race period.

It amazes me how much something as trivial as gender/race lock bothers some people. When a game has it, I don't think anyone should EVER expect it to cease to exist. Again, too trivial to be a real issue to be taken care of.

That's not to say I like lolis, but even I would make one if I had absolutely no other choice when making a Summoner. Luckily, I kind of do, so I made mine a tall male with ears and tail as unconspicuous as possible. So yeah, it could have been worse.

1 hour ago, Lurkios said:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

Or hell, watch the anime.

I've tried to watch that anime. I lasted the first 6 episodes, and have not seen there a single Jin allergic to cats, or a Yun that crumpled into dust if it touched a dagger. Seriously, the cartoon is atrociously bad, disjointed and boring to tears, not to mention uses the Japanese names for the characters. It's probably one of the worst cartoons I have ever watched, and I have a 9 yo  girl, so I have endured many hours of children's programming, including a saga about an annoying bunny baby-brother that made his elder sister life a pure Hell.

Star Wars has tomes of lore, cannon, non-cannon, former cannon and gods know what else, yet SWTOR allows racial unlocks that do not make sense lore-wise and lets the player make up whatever backstory they chose if they are really burning to play a noble Jedi Knight who also happens to be a pure-blood Sith.

54 minutes ago, Hazriel said:

Actualy i don't have problems with playing as a lyn, but i sooooooooooooooooo wanna see a gon male summoner :D Having the option to chose any race could creat so much nonsense...Nonsense is good :D

OK, now that line of thought against race lock I can actually get behind.

And how about a Lyn Destroyer? Just picture a furry migdget wielding a bladed lamppost.

Archived