Spring Trove Event - P2W? Worth it? Concerns?

DeadlyCode

Technically there is no F2P game guys, it's more like FreeToDownload really, because all the so called "F2P" games usually make more money than those games where you have to pay a monthly/yearly subscription fee. Here is why, in those "F2P" games there is usually a Cash-shop(Hongmoon Store) where they sell stuff to make profits. Now keep in mind this kind of games may or may not sell things that are essential to the advancement in the game but they will ALWAYS one way or another sell stuff that makes them a huge profit.

I do admit that the last addition to the Hongmoon store(Spring Trove Event) does give players certain advantages such as gems, matts and gold but trust me...I have spent close or over $1000 on these keys, you might have seem me linking stuff in Jiwan (Aurosen) and I can tell you that crap isn't cheap. Yes you might get lucky and get a gem with a few keys maybe even 1 key, but I can tell you the cost does not EVER match the winnings from the event unless you have the luck of a falling cat...look at it this way...If I would instead have purchased gold from one those retarded advertisers I would probably have gotten way over 5K gold which would have gotten me way more than what I've gotten from the event...even the EXP coupons from the event come at a high high price. I have spent that much and I barely have like 35 coupons(3.5M EXP). Now imagine if I had instead spent the $1000 and trusted one of those websites to do my Hongmoon lvls...I'd probably be HM10 already.

I am not protecting or defending NCSoft...but to get good stuff from that event you truly have to spend a lot of money, specially to get the stuff to upgrade items like the Venom darts / Moonstones / Naryu tablets. In all the money I have spent I still haven't gotten 300 venom darts or even 100 moonstones and the only time I pass those away is when I see a naryu tablet or 30+ soulstones or a gem.

Now the valuable items in the event are: At the cost of $1,000 

Gems: Only 2 are tradable and they are extra rare, I only got 1 so far, others are rare but account bound

Naryu tablets: I have over 180 of those, I have chosen these over account bound gems many times

Soulstones: I have like 2.2K

Moonstones/Venom darts: 80-100 and 200-220 and i only reject these when something better comes up

EXP Coupons: Fragments usually come in 1 and 2s and the 100K ones only come with prizes that you wont give up for the EXP.

So yes, there is some advantage but do you really think it's worth the cost? Speaking for myself I don't think it even comes close to being worth the cost! If I had the time to do dailies and acquire everything by spending time in the game I would do that 30 times over spending this much money.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, it's not great... At least in my own experience (~$500) I'm netting a bit more than I would have selling gem hammers or using the coin exchange, but not much. The gems were nice, wasn't going to be getting those any time soon - but the rarity is really disappointing. Only ever seen red and blue hongmoons (one red and maybe 3 blue). I was hoping to see the valentines green since I skipped over it out of ignorance.

Your numbers pretty well match up with mine, I'm sitting at around half of what you are on all counts.

I do like both the costumes, and they drop all the time... I'm guessing 4% light and 2% dark for chances. Can turn them into fabric at least. Venom Darts and Moonstones don't drop anywhere near as much as I'd like to have seen, and always at the same time so you can only get one or the other... A lot of the tables, even with all slots open, are all rubbish - skipped quite a few (Poh shields, really?) So much trash. I dunno, this game is what I do for fun so I don't mind spending some money it - but the returns were pretty disappointing all in all.

Was going to give it another round or two, but when I saw how they were screwing us all on the gem slots for the Breeze upgrade I called it quits. If they don't mind stealing from us there I don't have a lot of faith they wont find other ways to steal this stuff too. (oh, we didn't tell you the gems were limited time? lol. well, you can buy an extension...)

I'm already said in other similar thread about this event, p2w or not p2w, worth or not worth it doesn't matter to me. If you have money you can do whatever you want because it's your own money :P I have nothing to lose nor bashing you if you're spend $1000 to get thing you need or simply look better than me. For other folks keep bashing this event and hope NCsoft will listen to them then you all better wake up and stop dreaming...it's their method of making money and keep the game running so you will see more and more similar event popping up down the line.  

Bit hit or miss this event: at worst, you spend 10 silver on an average item or get purple soul shields belonging to sets that are worse than your current one, in my case, the Poharan one... incidentally the only Trove reward that I skipped because 50 silver for one SS part is overkill. My better rewards so far were Soulstones and Pirate Emblems and that's without the extra keys or slots.

If you got a char at least as far as Beastbog or, at the very least. Moonwater 24-man, you should have no trouble to finance your endeavors with this event. It's more all over the place the rewards you get, though. It's no Daily Dash, for better or worse.

The rewards are too trash tier, most of the rolls will have literally nothing you need for a lvl 50 hm 8-10 character. 

I mean the purple breeze weapons? They drop like water in the game so why would anyone even buy that. 

Stuff like 2 naryu coin, when GHS alone gives 5-10+ each chest. HM lmb consumables are pretty useless in general. 

There was also a gold sink when buying items, devaluing the items themselves. 

Next time I would like to see more commonly used items than rare items. 

The major things I received are

HM skill V2

Red gem

Blue gem

x4 100g ingot

I really wanted a purple gem, but luck said no.

of course it did allow me to upgrade my weapon to True Breeze 10, belt/neckless/earring to oathbreaker 10, bracelet/ring to True oathbreaker 10. By selling the junk

Some people have money to spend and others do not. If one is of the latter group; then don't let envy cloud your judgement. You have two choices.. Make more money and spend it on games or enjoy the f2p aspect of the game. Seems pretty simple to me. But, then again, I'm not trying to overthink like most people.

2 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

As things go seems like you had pretty good luck then. I'd like that purple too though...

yeah just the HM skill basically was worth the gold I paid for them, I would like to buy more but currently all that upgrading drained my funds haha o well... Just have to pvp more I guess and buy some before it ends

People just bought gold from gold seller and buy keys from other players who has hm coins or nc coins.

This is definity p2w. However, either gold seller or nc coins, it is p2w.

I always wondering if ncsoft can earn something from those gold seller. If not why don't they ban those bots, LOL

What my little eye spied were those 2k Soulstones. And I was wondering why no one is doing SSP these days on my server... The Treasure Trove pretty much ruined the game for me. Not because people spend a small fortune on this but mostly because they are no longer desperate to do things like SSP which require team effort. Costs for materials haven't dropped considerably at all and in the end, this event wasn't much of a success for me, more like a huge disappointment because it turned this game into a P2W thing. Not necessarily by NCSoft's design but by player's behavior surely.

2 minutes ago, ThePrelate said:

What my little eye spied were those 2k Soulstones. And I was wondering why no one is doing SSP these days on my server... The Treasure Trove pretty much ruined the game for me. Not because people spend a small fortune on this but mostly because they are no longer desperate to do things like SSP which require team effort. Costs for materials haven't dropped considerably at all and in the end, this event wasn't much of a success for me, more like a huge disappointment because it turned this game into a P2W thing. Not necessarily by NCSoft's design but by player's behavior surely.

While the event definitely does benefit those willing to spend money (what did you expect?), it is not, by any means, p2w.

Just now, Lurkios said:

While the event definitely does benefit those willing to spend money (what did you expect?), it is not, by any means, p2w.

Well, for me it is. As a free player (no way am I giving NCSoft any money until at least fundamental problems are resolved) I am no longer able to do content in this game. I am not saying this setting will remain in the game forever, it's just until the event is over and people deplete their material reserves. But as things currently are, I am basically forced to pay for those keys, open boxes and hope for the best in order to progress. Because few people are running the content meant for a large number of people. Once again, this is not by designer's fault, more like player's behavior.

3 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

Plus, SSP is just... ass. Really not fun to do as melee and time-consuming as *cricket*. Neither is being limited to PvP and faction to get Soulstones. There's a reason I said Soulstones were some of the best rewards I got from event. Soulstones are bottlenecks and the more ways to gather them the better, especially when they do NOT involve faction or PvP. We need more daily rewards like the one in Tomb of the Exiles.

And take note I haven't even bothered to farm for keys/slots... though some of you are making that idea more tempting, I'll admit.

Just now, Lurkios said:

You have both arena and dailies to get soulstones. You don't need to do SSP. Yes, being a free player means you progress more slowly.

Yes, arena with unbalanced PvP and hackers running around. Good luck to me with that -.-

3 minutes ago, ThePrelate said:

Well, for me it is. As a free player (no way am I giving NCSoft any money until at least fundamental problems are resolved) I am no longer able to do content in this game. I am not saying this setting will remain in the game forever, it's just until the event is over and people deplete their material reserves. But as things currently are, I am basically forced to pay for those keys, open boxes and hope for the best in order to progress. Because few people are running the content meant for a large number of people. Once again, this is not by designer's fault, more like player's behavior.

You have both arena and dailies to get soulstones. You don't need to do SSP. Yes, being a free player means you progress more slowly.

3 minutes ago, Tsuchiryu said:

Plus, SSP is just... ass. Really not fun to do as melee and time-consuming as *cricket*. Neither is being limited to PvP and faction to get Soulstones. There's a reason I said Soulstones were some of the best rewards I got from event. Soulstones are bottlenecks and the more ways to gather them the better, especially when they do NOT involve faction or PvP.

Okay?

5 minutes ago, Tsuchiryu said:

Just adding to your argument of this event not being P2W, plus my opinion of it not being all that bad, particularly concerning Soulstones.

I definitely up your statement that we need more ways of obtaining them!

6 minutes ago, Nilkemios said:

It's not Pay-to-Win...but I'd still take the Daily Dash over this.

There's that too. For how useless Daily Dash rewards could get (which is also kind of an issue with Trove), at least it wasn't as luck-based and, more importantly, is accessible at basically all lvls without requiring to spend currency. Getting the REALLY good stuff from Trove (which is admittedly far superior to anything Daily Dashes have ever given) relies a lot on RNGesus, plus being at least lvl 36, a point where it's hard to farm enough silvers for the rewards, at least until you go far enough into Act 3. Which goes back to my point of Trove rewards being all over the place.

I guess my point is Trove is potentially more rewarding than Daily Dash at the expense of being more randomized and less newcomer-friendly.

Worth it ?

-It depends on you actually, if your time more important than money you are about to waste of course worth it.

-If your money more important than your time, it's not worth.

-For the people who can't pay to participate this event, it's something troubling just as life. (Unfortunately, but the facts are simple and must be concede if you wanna keep moving)

P2W ?

-We can not say people who spent money on this event won something, because it's just a game.

-Still this might cause while some players are satisfied, some others will lose their motive.

Concerns ?

-My only concern is that if I will be able to reach those who spent money on this event and get their characters maximized. (It depends on how efficient my farming is during that time, might take weeks or months.)

-How much time do I need to get those gems, weapons, etc. ? (There will be another event like this probably, I might try to prepare for the future.)

Note : This kind of events mostly cause some people get mad which is big problem for a human, they should be reminded that we are playing a game and have fun instead of salty and troubling thoughts.Otherwise better do not play games like this because you will be stressful for something supposed to be funny.

Archived