Forums

increase effort add "timewall" for arena entry/rewards

Myrobots

Please add effort required to be allowed into the arena.

There should be a nice balance where the requirements are big enough to ward off vast majority of blatant bots&hackers while not punishing regular players noticeably.

One proposed solution:

• Three arena matches/day after finishing all Viridian quest stories.
  • Five arena matches/day after finishing all Cinderland quest stories.
  • Seven arena matches/day after finishing all Moonwater quest stories.
  • Unlimited arena after after at least one character on the account has finished all Silverfrost quest stories.
  • Remove the daily "win 1" quest until finishing Cinderland or Moonwater quests, so having a lose streak day would not suck as much.

Why quests?

• i dont think there is a bot for that, and it would be quite hard to write that ( and by the time they do, NCSOFT could always slap a weapon requirement or something else hard to get on top of it  ) 
  • i think almost every player will play every quest once per account anyway, so it really should not be big deal for most of the players

This should make the manual work required to get in arena significant enough to make the bans more effective at clearing the arena to make it playable again.

Unfortunately there are 2 flaws with this suggestion:

1. It gates PvP by further requiring PvE.  No one wants this.  No strong PvP players are going to agree that gating their primary content with PvE gates is a good idea or supportable.  There are a small minority of players leveling up via the arena, and that's the only content they want to play.

2. There are very probably questing bots.  Believe it or not, that's one of the easiest ways to level a character to 45-50 is by doing the story quest chains.  I would not be surprised if someone has recorded a story quest macro and runs new accounts through the macro to achieve max level the fastest way possible.

1 hour ago, PatchKid said:

Unfortunately there are 2 flaws with this suggestion:

1. It gates PvP by further requiring PvE.  No one wants this.  No strong PvP players are going to agree that gating their primary content with PvE gates is a good idea or supportable.  There are a small minority of players leveling up via the arena, and that's the only content they want to play.

2. There are very probably questing bots.  Believe it or not, that's one of the easiest ways to level a character to 45-50 is by doing the story quest chains.  I would not be surprised if someone has recorded a story quest macro and runs new accounts through the macro to achieve max level the fastest way possible.

1. Running each quest once does not seem that excessive if it's once per account ( not once per character ) - i imagine most of the people who exclusively do arenas now already have done most of the quests anyway, and i imagine a change like that would should applied only to new accounts ( + bypassable with Premium Account ) so that limits possible victims even further.

2. There are lots of quirks that need to be accounted for, you cant just record a macro and expect the ~25h worth of gameplay be exactly the same on the next run. It would be a massive undertaking to run the script, and fix something every time it fails.  By the time someone finishes it new content (or better hack/bot prevention ) could already be out.

I agree with PatchKid. I don't think this would be the right approach. They are removing pve for hm skills next patch because pvpers don't want to pve to get abilities that are needed in pvp. I don't know what they can do but I know they can be more proactive and monitor this more closely with quicker response times on banning the account.

Archived