Convince me to main KFM

Ambition

Hi guys, soooo right now i have warlock sitting around 490AP and well, i use it as a farm class, since ranged is op op, BUT i find the class really boring to play...

So i am waiting for soulfighter since he looks really really fun to play, but it seems it wont get released for like another good 2 months and just farming up while new dungeons etc are released is kinda painful.

Also i hear alot of people say soulfighter is a weaker version of a KFM, that KFM is really strong right now since the latest patch, so i decided to level up a KFM im lvl 15 atm and although the combos are quite confusing i must say its pretty ''fun'' to play thusfar.. but i really HATE being a useless tank that is good for nothing else than absorbing dmg. and i really struggle with large group of mobs due to lack of AOE skills.

1. Is it true that KFM has higher DPS than soulfighter?

2. Why should i main it, what are the pros other than people wanting me purely to tank stuff.

3. Should i wait for soulfighter and maybe some upcoming buffs seeing as they are kinda weakish?

I have like 10k gold worth of items including expensive gems etc so i really wanna be sure before i equip stuff just to find out the class is not that great.

Convince me.

Thanks but im going to need more than that. also if i dont know what gear hes got i mean if he has like 500+ AP he does it rather slow ;p

PS : how good are the current HM skills for KFM? and is there a link to a really good pve build? 

Train 3 points into E/Q, get Fighting Spirit, learn 2RF combo and wreck entire groups in PvE easily.

You really have to train yourself to capitalize on E/Q and SS more than you're used to do with your warlock.  You can basically stand toe-to-toe with anything as long as you're good at timing those specific abilities.  Be ready to ani-cancel with Counter and learn the different uses for Iron Shoulder (either to daze, or to DPS).

For DPS, KFM is not going to be the top dawg.  It's not going to be horrible or dead last, but you can be a useful tank and contribute some very good DPS in PVE.  Just need to learn how Searing Palm (X) works and the nuances of the class.  I find the tricky part of KFM is that you will need to equip yourself with the skills to activate Searing Palm, get 4 stacks, and then use Leading Palm before the buff wears off so you can do some massive damage.

At the end of the day you need to just level it up and figure out the combos.  You shouldn't need to equip 10k gold worth of items just to decide if you enjoy the playstyle and if it offer sufficient role / utility for your preferences.  I doubt anyone is actually interested in trying to convince you to play the KFM.  This game is a lot less min-max, and more about playing what you enjoy most.

12 minutes ago, PatchKid said:

Train 3 points into E/Q, get Fighting Spirit, learn 2RF combo and wreck entire groups in PvE easily.

You really have to train yourself to capitalize on E/Q and SS more than you're used to do with your warlock.  You can basically stand toe-to-toe with anything as long as you're good at timing those specific abilities.  Be ready to ani-cancel with Counter and learn the different uses for Iron Shoulder (either to daze, or to DPS).

For DPS, KFM is not going to be the top dawg.  It's not going to be horrible or dead last, but you can be a useful tank and contribute some very good DPS in PVE.  Just need to learn how Searing Palm (X) works and the nuances of the class.  I find the tricky part of KFM is that you will need to equip yourself with the skills to activate Searing Palm, get 4 stacks, and then use Leading Palm before the buff wears off so you can do some massive damage.

At the end of the day you need to just level it up and figure out the combos.  You shouldn't need to equip 10k gold worth of items just to decide if you enjoy the playstyle and if it offer sufficient role / utility for your preferences.  I doubt anyone is actually interested in trying to convince you to play the KFM.  This game is a lot less min-max, and more about playing what you enjoy most.

I disagree. KFM has by far the highest sustained damage as long as you're able to chain searing palm stages. And with WL around no-one even comes close to our burst.

On 4/15/2016 at 11:19 PM, PatchKid said:

can some one explain to me what he does? does he only press 4, rightmousebutton, 4 the whole time? while stacking searing palm + using tab.

complicateddd classs i start to like it more and more though boyss lvl 39 incoming! xD

there is one thing about this class that really annoys me, on my BM q/e were instant  on KFM it has 0.2 sec delay/cast time like wtf? i get hit so many times cause im used to QE'ing at the last moment and i get hit due to delay ugh

On 4/15/2016 at 7:45 AM, Ambition said:

1. Is it true that KFM is not that great pve early-mid game? because all the ''great'' skills seem to come lvl 30+ (flurry, searing palm, tremor)

I don't know how we compare to other classes, but I'm currently leveling my second KFM (Lv 41) on a Taiwanese server, and I'm not sure why, but there's extremely few other players leveling here, so I actually had to solo every field & green dungeon boss thus far, and without too much difficulty - I might add.

In contrast, I wasn't so capable while leveling the first time: requiring help against bosses like the Relic Core in Sentinel Ruins, Samja + Adds in the Bokgon Hideout & Tidelord Hujikar in Hogshead Pastures.

So to answer your question on whether KFM is competent in early to mid-game PvE: They're definately capable, but may require better class & game-mechanic understanding to be as effective.

2. The ''Tab'' buff, should i spec into it ASAP? or is it not that important at early levels.

Your first few skill points could be better spent elsewhere rather than Fighting Spirit (Tab buff), but it is a good skill to train early-on.

I'd prioritize:

• 3 pts ~ Tiger Strike - Swift Strike - Stage 4
  • 2 pts* ~ Iron Shoulder - Stage 4 (* +1 pt after you get Tremor)

• 3 pts ~ Q/E
  • 3 pts ~ Comet Strike - Stage 3 (practically spammable while using Fighting Spirit)
  • 2 pts ~ Fighting Spirit - Stage 4 - solo, Stage 3 - in a party

• 2 pts ~ Searing Blow - Cyclone Kick - Stage 3

• 2 pts ~ Second Wind - Stage 3
  • 2 pts ~ Smite - Stage 4
  • 3 pts ~ Tremor - Stage 2 (Train ASAP by taking points out of Smite or Second Wind)

It's not too important, but most trained abilities only really become worth it when you reach a certain Tier, like Fighting Spirit (obviously) & 2 points in Iron Shoulder, so it's probably better to spend the odd point in Counter, Second Wind or Leg Sweep until you have enough.

3. Can you explain to me in basic abc language how searing palm works, because right now im thinking there are many stages and i have to wait 10 seconds for each stage to go tothe next? which im sure cant be, right?

I think Sapphidia explained it well in this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/43n0fc/how_does_kfms_searing_palm_work/

:-)

53 minutes ago, Eolus said:

I don't know how we compare to other classes, but I'm currently leveling my second KFM (Lv 41) on a Taiwanese server, and I'm not sure why, but there's extremely few other players leveling here, so I actually had to solo every field & green dungeon boss thus far, and without too much difficulty - I might add.

In contrast, I wasn't so capable while leveling the first time: requiring help against bosses like the Relic Core in Sentinel Ruins, Samja + Adds in the Bokgon Hideout & Tidelord Hujikar in Hogshead Pastures.

So to answer your question on whether KFM is competent in early to mid-game PvE: They're definately capable, but may require better class & game-mechanic understanding to be as effective.

Your first few skill points could be better spent elsewhere rather than Fighting Spirit (Tab buff), but it is a good skill to train early-on.

I'd prioritize:

• 3 pts ~ Tiger Strike - (Swift Strike Stage 4)
  • 2 pts* ~ Iron Shoulder - Stage 4 (* +1 pt after you get Tremor)

• 3 pts ~ Q/E
  • 2 pts ~ Fighting Spirit - (Stage 4 - solo, Stage 3 - in a party)
  • 3 pts ~ Comet Strike - Stage 3 (practically spammable while using Fighting Spirit)

• 2 pts ~ Searing Blow - (Cyclone Kick - Stage 3)

• 2 pts ~ Second Wind - Stage 3
  • 2 pts ~ Smite - Stage 4
  • 3 pts ~ Tremor - Stage 2 (Train ASAP by taking points out of Smite or Second Wind)

It's not too important, but most trained abilities only really become worth it when you reach a certain Tier, like Fighting Spirit (obviously) & 2 points in Iron Shoulder, so it's probably better to spend the odd point in Counter, Second Wind or Leg Sweep until you have enough.

I think Sapphidia explained it well in this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/43n0fc/how_does_kfms_searing_palm_work/

:-)

Thnx bro im currently lvl 36 atm, damn i find it extremely hard to fight groups that consist of more than 3 peeps.. but i actually think kfm does more dmg than i used to think.

singel target mobs get absolutely destroyed.

btw i always heard KFM has soo much CC but with tremor (v) specced into the party buff thats 1 stun less and i find it really hard to CC bosses =/

with the current specs that is i dont have 2 of the same CC to apply it, will it be better with your recommendations?

PS. which block is the best to use? i SUCK at blocking atm so many options

2 hours ago, Ambition said:

Thnx bro im currently lvl 36 atm, damn i find it extremely hard to fight groups that consist of more than 3 peeps.. but i actually think kfm does more dmg than i used to think.

I like to aggro as many NPC's as possible by running near them, charge attack hopping while Q/E, SS dodging & Tremor pull, then Leg Sweep, Q/E, SS, Counter & Fighting Sprit to survive between bursting them down with x2 Comet Strikes (Stage 3), Tiger Strike -> Hellfire Kick & Counter -> Iron Shoulder.

- Fighting Spirit -> Comet Strike spam provides amazing burst & healing, useful against bosses & large amounts of mobs.

2 hours ago, Ambition said:

btw i always heard KFM has soo much CC but with tremor (v) specced into the party buff thats 1 stun less and i find it really hard to CC bosses =/

While KFM's do have access to a considerable amount of CC (commonly used in PvP), it's better to invest your points elsewhere for PvE.

I only Knockdown bosses at the start with Swooping Crane -> Leg Sweep, and then utilize Counter & resists/i-frames to ignore the rest of their attacks while applying damage.

8 minutes ago, Eolus said:

While KFM's do have access to a considerable amount of CC (commonly used in PvP), it's better to invest your points elsewhere for PvE.

I only Knockdown bosses at the start with Swooping Crane > Leg Sweep, and then utilize Counter & resists/i-frames to ignore the rest of their attacks while applying damage.

i see cool.. i actually really like the stun on V for a free knockup but yeah i guess the other stage is better for party the dmg increase, BTW what 1 tier do you use for block, elbow smash? or is it just pref to playstyle\

dont you spec leg sweep into shin kick for the 3F?

1 hour ago, Ambition said:

BTW what 1 tier do you use for block, elbow smash? or is it just pref to playstyle

I only sometimes put 1 point in and out of Counter for the Defense boost while waiting to accumulate more points to train something else between levels.

Training Counter isn't very preferable for PvE unless Tanking, where you want to invest into Stage 4 for mainly Threat generation.

Later in PvP, Stage 1, Tier 3 & 5 are good against most match-ups, but Elbow Smash is recommended against Assassins & Summoners.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone normally uses Stage 3 with the Stun & 6 sec Cooldown due to the frequency Counter is used & required.

dont you spec leg sweep into shin kick for the 3F?

Definately for PvP spec, but much later for PvE.

29 minutes ago, Eolus said:

I only sometimes put 1 point in and out of Counter for the Defense boost while waiting to accumulate more points to train something else between levels.

Training Counter isn't very preferable for PvE unless Tanking, where you want to invest into Stage 4 for mainly Threat generation.

Later in PvP, Stage 1, Tier 3 & 5 are good against most match-ups, but Elbow Smash is recommended against Assassins & Summoners.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone normally uses Stage 3 with the Stun & 6 sec Cooldown, due to the frequency Counter is used & required.

Shin Kick is a MUST for pve for stacking searing palm stages. Also, it does crazy damage by itself when you have a destroyer or bd in party who grab bosses properly (without running around with the boss like pugs do).

57 minutes ago, Eolus said:

11 minutes ago, Kaal said:

Shin Kick is a MUST for pve for stacking searing palm stages. Also, it does crazy damage by itself when you have a destroyer or bd in party who grab bosses properly (without running around with the boss like pugs do).

I wholeheartedly agree.

Sorry, I should have been more specific; as by "much later",  I meant after level 44, as Searing Palm becomes available at level 45.

I suppose Shin Kick could prove very useful at earlier levels too when in dungeons with competent Blade Dancers & Destroyers. ^^

7 minutes ago, Eolus said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

Sorry, I should have been more specific; as by "much later",  I meant after level 44, as Searing Palm becomes available at level 45.

I suppose Shin Kick could prove very useful at earlier levels too when in dungeons with competent Blade Dancers & Destroyers. ^^

Fair enough. However, when leveling up I still used shin kick. Because 3rfing mobs is great damage and good practise if you intend on pvping :) Only vs bosses it's meh.

On 4/15/2016 at 0:15 AM, Ambition said:

can some one explain to me what he does? does he only press 4, rightmousebutton, 4 the whole time? while stacking searing palm + using tab.

complicateddd classs i start to like it more and more though boyss lvl 39 incoming! xD

pls?

pls?

So the basic combo for KFM is 2rf (2 specced swift strike, f specced cyclone kick).

You 2r2r2r2r until the 2 crits, which readies f. With ~50% crit rate your combo is usually 2r2rf 2r2rf 2r2rf. 

The new Focused Fighting Spirit buff resets the cooldown of your comet strike every 2 seconds.

Here he has specced the comet strike that allows you to recast it again for free if it crits. So here's the video broken down:

First he's simply 2r2rf - ing. 

Then he starts stacking Searing Palm stages.

When he hits stage 4, he pops buff and changes his rotation to:

4r4-2rf-4r4-2rf-4r4, etc.

41 minutes ago, FourOhm said:

So the basic combo for KFM is 2rf (2 specced swift strike, f specced cyclone kick).

You 2r2r2r2r until the 2 crits, which readies f. With ~50% crit rate your combo is usually 2r2rf 2r2rf 2r2rf. 

The new Focused Fighting Spirit buff resets the cooldown of your comet strike every 2 seconds.

Here he has specced the comet strike that allows you to recast it again for free if it crits. So here's the video broken down:

First he's simply 2r2rf - ing. 

Then he starts stacking Searing Palm stages.

When he hits stage 4, he pops buff and changes his rotation to:

4r4-2rf-4r4-2rf-4r4, etc.

holy shit! that sounds complicated omg i need to practise alot on those dummies once i hit lvl 45 then. thanks for explaining (also he has 640ap o.o) but still lot of dmg..

am i doing it wrong then? cause i specced into tiger strike tier 2 stage 4 that will ready firehell kick, and i specced cyclone kick into searing blow cause of the CD on searing palm so now i cant do the combo?  or? did i spec wrong?

BTW is it safe for me to say that from all the awaken skills, KFM one is the most strongest? instant lvl 4 searing palm!

14 hours ago, Ambition said:

holy shit! that sounds complicated omg i need to practise alot on those dummies once i hit lvl 45 then. thanks for explaining (also he has 640ap o.o) but still lot of dmg..

am i doing it wrong then? cause i specced into tiger strike tier 2 stage 4 that will ready firehell kick, and i specced cyclone kick into searing blow cause of the CD on searing palm so now i cant do the combo?  or? did i spec wrong?

BTW is it safe for me to say that from all the awaken skills, KFM one is the most strongest? instant lvl 4 searing palm!

It's not wrong, just a different build. The 2 main builds for pve KFM is Tiger Strike/Searing Blow and Swift Strike/Cyclone Kick. Both have the same basic rotation (2r2rf), though with the TS/SB build, adding in the LMB between 2's may actually decrease dps. 

Basically, the TS/SB build is strong because 2 provides good AoE, and f decreases Searing Palm cooldown by 7 seconds, which means that 100% of the time, you should be in some stage of Searing Palm. This build is also easier, since it doesn't require too much ani-canceling. However, Searing Blow is a very clunky skill in that you cannot anicancel it once you start, leaving you rather vulnerable if you're tanking.

The SS/CK build (or wind build) is the preferred tanking build, because not only does it have higher single-target dps, but every move in the combo can be anicanceled into a counter, leaving you much less vulnerable. Of course, with no Searing Blow to reduce Searing Palm cooldown, you really need to control your stacks, making sure not to get to stage 4 too quickly, or else you'll be left without searing palm until the cooldown resets.

As for the soulburned skill, I do think the KFM one is really strong. If you spec Fighting Spirit as well, your party should be resetting your Comet Strike every second or 2, so with Comet Strike specced for instacast on Searing Palmed enemy, you can just 4-x-4-x-4-x. Each Comet Strike deals upward of 35k damage, and each x deals upward of 5k+5k+10k+10k damage. It's really insane burst. That being said, FM's awakened Dual Dragons is still probably better in terms of pure dps.

On 16-4-2016 at 8:19 PM, Ambition said:

there is one thing about this class that really annoys me, on my BM q/e were instant  on KFM it has 0.2 sec delay/cast time like wtf? i get hit so many times cause im used to QE'ing at the last moment and i get hit due to delay ugh

Same for me, when i watch streams, it seems to respond snappy but for me it seems to first finish with the move i was doing then iframe, witch is sometimes too late, its really anoying.

I like my KFM allot, but in some groups when shit goes sideways, you will have to work twice as hard as everyone else is just dps'ing at range and when shit still manages to go sideways, you will either get blamed for something you didnt do, or work 3 times as hard as the things that the other people should be doing get shoved onto you aswell.

Your workdload: Dodge that, stun this, keep agro, deal dps, stay down, don't get thrown, get thrown, jump into ice, dont jump into ice, iframe everything, dont iframe that specific move, move, don't move, counter that, make a mistake -> NOOB!!!

Everyone elses workload: Deal DPS, Avoid a random attack once a minute, make a mistake -> Blame it on the Noob tank!!!

KFM Q/E is a normal priority skill. 
This means you need to stop whatever action your are doing when you Q/E.
If you are are in the middle of an attack, you need to stop pressing that attack button when you Q/E. Q/E will not override the command of the attack you were doing before.

The activation time for Q/E is not exactly instant, it is something like 0.2 sec

This is also why ping is extremely important for KFM. At the same time, you need to know the attack animations and rotations so you can anticipate what attacks are coming up so as to better use Q/E 

Hi guys another question from the boy.

1.Since im using this fire build, it kinda eats alot of focus, although i do get alot of focus back from using searing blow, i wonder how hard it will be to keep my rotations going on end boss when tanking withoutt going chi-less, will this be better late game or?

2. How hard is it to do mushin tower as a KFM? since i hardly have any CC i take it will have to respec some stuff? but dps wise do i have enough burst to kill within time with lets say 480-500 AP since im mainly a tank?

lvl 43 atm :)

I must admitt im having a really hard time comitting, im leveling up a FM aswel lvl30 atm and i simply cant choose, i mean the dmg and playstyle of  FM is insane, but i might get bored soon enough just like i did with my WL, then again alot of people are telling me that its really hard to farm SSP as a KFM, ok i got my WL to farm ss and moonstones, so that isnt THAT big of deal, but apparently the new 6v6 pvp map thats coming out is a pain for melees aswell and i dont know what other content is coming out in the future..

*sigh* why are things so hard :x anyone who can shed some light?

besides git gud and youll be fine, haha.

12 hours ago, Ambition said:

Hi guys another question from the boy.

1.Since im using this fire build, it kinda eats alot of focus, although i do get alot of focus back from using searing blow, i wonder how hard it will be to keep my rotations going on end boss when tanking withoutt going chi-less, will this be better late game or?

2. How hard is it to do mushin tower as a KFM? since i hardly have any CC i take it will have to respec some stuff? but dps wise do i have enough burst to kill within time with lets say 480-500 AP since im mainly a tank?

lvl 43 atm :)

I must admitt im having a really hard time comitting, im leveling up a FM aswel lvl30 atm and i simply cant choose, i mean the dmg and playstyle of  FM is insane, but i might get bored soon enough just like i did with my WL, then again alot of people are telling me that its really hard to farm SSP as a KFM, ok i got my WL to farm ss and moonstones, so that isnt THAT big of deal, but apparently the new 6v6 pvp map thats coming out is a pain for melees aswell and i dont know what other content is coming out in the future..

*sigh* why are things so hard :x anyone who can shed some light?

besides git gud and youll be fine, haha.

I am not a really good KFM yet as i still make allot of mistakes, but Junhangdo is ussuallu dead by the time the timer reaches 3 minutes left, and Mushin 1 is dead within 30-40 seconds, mushin 2 ussually around 2 minutes, depends allot on if i am lagging or not, i havent really bothered much with mushin 3.

The normal fire rotation for pve will never run out of focus as you get 5 & 2 focus back from both F abilities and the rest you get back from your main weapon.

For openworld pvp, most targets with 50-60k hp wont survive much longer then your jump in/tremor hongmoon comet strike, hellfire kick, tiger strike, tiger strike, if you can bundle up 6 people and they are stupid to let you engange the blue buff, its 6 updates in a row within 2 seconds. Most think their camp can save them but you will just kill the NPC's stacked together with enemy players. I ussually use the pve spec for Open world pvp @ 526 ap the KFM has nothing to see anymore with the measely little power you had at 352 ap.

But if they manage to stop your movement, yer dead.

Archived