How the Treasure Trove could have been handled better

TheRockmanEXE

Before you post, understand that this post is not about me wanting things handed to me, it's about what could've been done to make this event more accessible.

So on Tuesday afternoon i logged into the game to find the Treasure Trove event.  Okay throw an item and get a chance at something cool, only catch is unless you swipe you get one spin per day.  This sounded almost like a similar event 

d836e439aa.jpg

for those who dont know this is Kyra's pop-up potion shack, an event held 3 times so far on TERA.  Almost word for word clone event (collect items for rng chances at cool stuff), yet was presented and ran a million times better than trove.  Yes you could swipe your credit card for instant spins, but here's the kicker, you didn't HAVE TO.  Like BNS, TERA is a f2p MMO, as such, EME made the event accessible to everyone (yes even people who didn't pay a penny could still come out on top).  What they did was add the items you needed (catalysts; 5x catalysts = 1 spin) to dungeon loot.  When picked up, everyone was  rewarded with the catalyst, and the amount dropped was directly correlated with the difficulty of the dungeon, so the players farming the hard dungeons would get a lot more per run.  In addition to this you could get them as rewards for PvP battle grounds and even hunt in the open world for boxes that dropped catalysts.  If you spent the time for it there was virtually no limit to the amount of catalysts you could farm.  In addition there were no event exclusive items that affected your stats.

What NCSoft did wrong:  Limit free players to 11 spins (1x free, 10x hmcoin keys) per day w/ 2 slots.  Add event exclusive gems that directly affect stats (ap plus exclusive ruby).  Hide the event behind a pay wall.

What NCSoft could've done: Remove the slot expansions to give everyone an even playing field.  12 bucks to have extra slots is a horrible cash grab and you should be ashamed of yourselves for this.  Add ways for free players to farm it, whether it be dungeons or pvp or open world hunting there really should be a way.  Lastly, do something about the gems.  Hiding actual stat changing items behind a pay wall is entering p2w territory.  Add spin limit to everyone and up drop rates for rare items.  or add this:

cN9lrtL.jpg

NC, you forget this game is free to play.  while free players don't directly pay money to you, they will almost always be the majority, and are likely to tell their friends (potential customers ready to spend $$$) about the game.  Whether what they tell them is good or bad can be influenced by the decisions you as a company make.  Choosing to alienate a huge portion of players will drive more away than it brings in.

They honestly shouldn't have limited us from buying 10 keys daily via HMCoins. We had to resort to buying NCoin from players and lots of players were getting scammed left and right. Not to mention, due to this, the Currency Exchange is now dead and will stay dead for quite awhile until probably 1 week after this event is over.

36 minutes ago, Hong said:

They honestly shouldn't have limited us from buying 10 keys daily via HMCoins. We had to resort to buying NCoin from players and lots of players were getting scammed left and right. Not to mention, due to this, the Currency Exchange is now dead and will stay dead for quite awhile until probably 1 week after this event is over.

yep yep yep!

The hongmoon part was a dumb idea.... It's not like they made more money by doing this... either way people would have

A. Bought keys and tried to sell them to people (this way causes scamming for both members)

B. Bought NCoins and sold them for gold (This way both parties get what they want with no scamming)

kinda dumb they went with A

but as for the event I love it! Just wish they fixed the hongmoon part of it....

• NCSOFT

Thanks very much for the input, I can tell that you've put a lot of thought into your ideas. I can't specifically comment about any changes that may or may not come for the next Treasure Trove, but we do appreciate the feedback. Also, in case you're not aware, you can unlock extra slots with Hongmoon Coin. I know I did on my alt!

:X If I wanted to play that badly with RNG it would be on costumes. I get enough RNG shit for gear in this game, let alone some event. I like the event, but I'm rather disappointed with how its handled. TERA has some of the best events. Hope BnS Get some events I enjoy going on for once.

5 hours ago, AveryCloseCall said:

Thanks very much for the input, I can tell that you've put a lot of thought into your ideas. I can't specifically comment about any changes that may or may not come for the next Treasure Trove, but we do appreciate the feedback. Also, in case you're not aware, you can unlock extra slots with Hongmoon Coin. I know I did on my alt!

Currently very few people use the exchange....

10 hours ago, TheRockmanEXE said:

why.....  why is this not in our region?  i'd much rather sink away 120g on 100 keys than pay an ncoin seller the current rate of 4g/ea (400g for 100 keys nty).

Because NCSOFT wants you to charge some ncoin. Seems they penniless lmao

This is misnamed - it is not a "treasure trove", which is something you find and keep, it's a pop-up shop. Either a gold sink or a gouge, or both, and frankly, not pretty.

As was said in another thread, replacing daily dash with this is a breach of trust with premium players, who have paid for an extra DD spin which we don't have, because there's no DD. If you advertise X, Y and Z as the benefits of premium, and then don't deliver, that is effectively breach of contract, and certainly a good way to alienate your paying members.

I'm extremely disappointed to this event. I have premium and im usually one to buy new outfits from the cash shop...but this event just made me feel like quitting the whole game.

I love the game i love everything it has so im really torn what to do.

I worked hard to get to my gear (which still isnt that great 514AP) but as a warlock who had to start after everyone else already were quite geared it's not bad. Now i just see people who just barely hit lvl 50 having better gear than i have since all they did were spam keys for 1 whole day and got lots of mats which they reselled and whole bunch of gems.

It's not that im salty about people gearing it's more like i think those gems should have never been there. Those gems are not easy to get by farming and from auction house they go around 1000+ gold each. well atm little under,depending color. I myself wont spend 50 euros or more to RNG boxes, and saying get stuff with hongmoons...well it just wont work atm. People are selling too much gold for hongmoons so nothing is selling. and the rates are silly low. I would get nothing with my gold. As a premium im really disappointed to this event since there's no other way of getting extra keys..i kinda dont even wanna call this an event... so here i am rolling 1 chest per day and so far best item ive gotten is 3 hammers.. yay ncsoft

12 hours ago, AveryCloseCall said:

look sir

they pay 2 gold to reopen boxes they don't use keys

also to unlock more slots they can buy the expansion vouchers from express shop for 5 gold.

why we pay x4 times from other versions? i think this should be the model here

vid starts at 3:01

On 4/15/2016 at 4:12 PM, AveryCloseCall said:

Thanks for acknowledging my post, however I think you may have misunderstood a part of it. With the expansions it wasn't the acquisition method that was infuriating, it was the fact that they're even there. Ideally the slots should all be open by default. To make people pay for slots only to have them be character bound and only for this trove event is a real kick in the pants. People who don't have cash or lots of gold are being left in the dust with this event, which is why I suggested adding ways for players to farm keys in game

Archived