Low FPS/Stutter Fix (Nvidia)

Archess

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far: All nvidia cards

I haven't been with nvidia, hardware wise, for 6 years.

Are there any similarities between all of the ones mentioned so far in this topic?  Like an architecture? It could maybe pinpoint any problems that it might cause in other games as well. if I knew..

It would be easier to blame the performance problems on BladenSoul but since i've only seen nvidia modelnumbers in this topic so far, I think it'd be a fair question to ask if maybe it is a problem on nvidias end?  let's find out :)

I had a 4GB GTX 670.  It ran BnS like crap, it also started to run other games like crap.  For me its each Nvidia driver update performance steadily got worse, i said cricket it and their shady practices.    I fired it and got an AMD card.  All is well now.

Doesn't seem to work for me. I have a GTX 780Ti. I followed all steps but GPU usage still sits around 60-70% at max settings.

Interestingly if I go to the Soulstone Plains Zerg and check with when my FPS drops, the usage has plummeted to about 20-30%.

CPU bottlenecking? Not really that knowledgeable on this. My CPU is 4.0Ghz and 8gig ram

As long as you don't specifically overclock, you should be fine. (if rivatuner is still how it was years ago, it should have all of the overclocking stuff in an easily-avoidable tab). no worries, I guess.

Update. I have just used the unparking utility which found and unparked 2 cores. This seems to of given me more fps and stability but will need to test over longer period. Soulstones plains GPU usage still low, 30-40%

13 hours ago, Archess said:

Hey, so ive been having really low FPS and drops when a boss does his huge attack i drop to 0 FPS for a couple of seconds or my iframe becomes imposible to use due to the stuttering that starts seconds before, ive had this issue since the game launched and i have a i7 cpu, 16GB ram and 680 GTX witch should run this game fine.

Ive tried a bunch of fixes from other people but none hit the spot, the issue is because this game uses only 40% of my GPU and when the stutter does a driveby shooting, it drops down to 15-25% and i am unable todo jack-shit all, with these changes your usage of the card should be 80-99% all the time and all the stutters goe away like a snowball in hell.

I had one friend with a 780 GTX test this and before he had to run the game in Optimize For Combat with all the bells and whistles off, witch makes the game not really nice to look at and i went from 60-70 frames to 100+ most of the time and am able to run it with all the details on high, without stutter, but especially the stutters are gone that gets you killed in dungeons/plains.

Steps to Follow

1) Download MSI Afterburner from guru3d or some other place and install it

2) Download Riva Tuner from the same place and install it

3) go into your 3D settings for Nvidia

4) set Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU to Single Display Performance mode

5) Set Power Management mode to Prefer maximum performance <- this works better for some cards, while it does nothing on its own for others, hence the Riva Tuner nudge

6) Run BnS and Set limit background FPS and FPS limit to 120 on both sliders

7) Set all the graphics options to enabled, sliders to 5 etc, just max it all out

8) Run Riva Tuner, go to Power User > Riva Tuner \ NVIDIA \ Overclocking, find "EnablePerfLevelForcing" and set it to 1

You might need to restart your comp, but your GPU should now be used for 80-99% at all the time while playing BnS and should increase FPS but fix your stutters, twiddle with your own ingame settings until you find the best match for your GPU for steady FPS when there a bunch of people onscreen.

Make sure Riva Tuner is active before launching BnS, i hope this works for some people as well as it did for me.

Good Luck!

On step 8 i have no idea what to do i open riva tuner and see no such options could someone please help me? my gpu usage is extremely low 

3 hours ago, APPEALING said:

On step 8 i have no idea what to do i open riva tuner and see no such options could someone please help me? my gpu usage is extremely low 

I posted a link on the first page for Riva Tuner 2.24 how it should look like.

Riva Tuner 2.24

9 hours ago, Kysersoze said:

Unpark CPU (2 CPU were parked) helped me to improve on stutter, and FPS is now more stable, less spike/drop.

Hope this will help some people. (Worked on Window 10 too)

I found 3 parked cores on my i7, i did not know of this, thx!

With all the people complaining about performance issues they think Gameguard is causing ever since the last patch I have been getting the most stable fps since release. I actually lowered my cpu overclock to keep heat down because I found it wasn't worth it anymore. As I said before I'm on a 4690K and GTX 970.

47 minutes ago, Teisho said:

Has anyone else had success with this? I've tried this and my GPU usage does not go to 100%. Most of the time it sits at 50-60% utilization.

Besides doing RivaTuner , what I did was the core parking one and also under details tab in Task Manager set the client.exe as max high priority 

stays at over 80% most of the time except in Grand Harvest ... god knows why but it goes down to less than 50 or 0 for a long time in between ... and the gpu temp . also isnt that bad , status at near 70-75 so no throttling there too ..still have to figure out why the drop only in ghs

God, how many shills has this forum?
OP, the real problem is gameguard. Don't try to find any error in your windows copy/gpu/driver, It's just that useless piece of shit called gameguard. I can play every game with 45-60 fps (dota 2, L4D2, DnS, Witcher 3, etc) but I have a big problem playing this game and the stuttering FPS due to gameguard.

Cry to NCSoft but they won't pay attention to you.

Shills go home please.

This game is very heavily CPU reliant. It's game engine utilizes dx9, which (generally speaking) uses 1 "main" core and up to 2 "helper" cores (if available). Even folks with monstrous CPUs get poor performance because of this fact. Unless your CPU has a very strong single thread benchmark then your are likely to experience severe CPU bottle-necking. Face it - for a dx9 game BnS is pretty good-looking. Those good looks take resources.

The reason your GPU is only running at 50% (or whatever it may be at) is because it's sitting idle for half it's clock cycles waiting for your CPU to finish the calculations it needs to create frames. During player-heavy events (such as Grand Harvest) your GPU % drops because your CPU is bottle-necking even harder than usual. "Fixes" and "patches" may help somewhat, but the only real "cure" is to have a CPU with an insanely high single-thread rating.

I'm neither defending nor damning NCSoft for this, just trying to enlighten. I myself have an i5-4690K (very high single thread rating) and an Nvidia GTX 660 (which is more than strong enough for BnS). During Grand Harvest my CPU still bottle-necks. I go from a stable (capped) 60 fps down to 20-25 fps. Still playable, but annoying...and hard on the eyes. In fact, studies have shown eye strain begins to occur at anything under ~48 fps.

However, for all those asking "make it 64-bit and dx11 pl0x"...you have no idea what you're asking. Dx11 is resource hungry like you wouldn't believe. It provides many new capabilities that require strong (i.e. non-potato) computers.

Also, I repeat: I'm neither defending nor damning NCSoft for this, just trying to enlighten.

Happy Gaming ;)

And still. Nothing but nvidia cards listed so far up to this point in the topic.

Let's -at least- pull together some model numbers and what architecture these cards use and differ in. See what nvidia can do on their end if it's a simple driver problem.

Unless it's a red herring and the problem really is because of cpu-parking. Then... well lol! Not my fault you didn't tweak the OS for unparking..... on a gaming rig. In the end, a problem only gets solved if people get up and actually try to get it fixed. Throw me a bone here

I cannot test your problem for myself because I don't have post-2013 nvidia hardware nor do I have core i-Xs to test with.

18 minutes ago, MsPeepers said:

I'm neither defending nor damning NCSoft for this, just trying to enlighten.

Well, thanks for your precisions :) 

Indeed, I tried many many tricks to resolve my FPS stuttering and none of them worked for me. I read somewhere that the asian clients were better than ours, so I've downloaded the TW client and installed it. And DAMN, no FPS stuttering AT ALL !! I'd really like to know what are the differences between those 2 clients to make such a huge improvement on my FPS ?? 

Ha i am still watching this thread, and starting to go into a mild state of depression for Nvidia users, I use both AMD GPU and CPU and game runs very nicely for me. Some of the other games i play as well have started to see an increase in Nvidia users having issues running MMOs. I think the problem persists with Nvidia drivers and not this or the other games. As far as Blade and Soul  being CPU hungry i disagree with that post. 

I'm fairly sure the stutters aren't caused by the GPU but by a bottleneck at the CPU.

My fps only stutters down when surrounded by a large number of players/NPCs (the unreal engine treats processing of players the same as NPCs).  This is processed by the CPU by the Unreal Engine.  Furthermore, my fps has never stuttered down due to my GPU reaching capacity.  Max settings @ 60FPS works my GPU to 90%.  During stutters, my GPU's utilization drops down significantly, sometimes to 0%.

The client seems to spawn about 90 threads during runtime.  The number varies slightly but it typically hovers around 90.  So we know that BnS is multi-threaded.  However, when I watch my CPU's utilization, only core 0 (first core) is utilized 100%.  The rest of my cores are hardly used while running BnS.  All of my cores are unparked.

It is very likely that most people's GPUs are good enough to run max settings, this game is 4~6 years old after all.  It is also very likely that people's CPUs are good enough too.  What this looks like, to me, is a case of poorly done parallelism.  I don't know how NCSoft distributes the workload across the cores of a CPU but just looking at my utilization I'd say that 70~80% is being forced onto just 1 core.  Computers have multiple cores for a reason, and it's not to look pretty.

F̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶m̶i̶z̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶n̶t̶e̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶m̶i̶z̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶.̶

1 hour ago, Altros said:

I

For those using AMD CPUs and getting better performance, this makes sense.  AMD does a better job of optimizing single thread performance.  They don't do as well with multi-thread performance, however.  Intel processors are the opposite, they're optimized for multi-threaded performance.

That is not true at all. Intel cpus are much faster than AMD at single threaded tasks and have been for a long time now. Look at the chart here.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

That is stock performance Intel cpus also overclock much higher for the most part.

As for Nvidia's performance far more people own Nvidia cards than AMD so that may be why there are more complaints. I don't get any stuttering on my setup but the performance in heavily populated areas is definitely bottle necking on the cpu side.

10 minutes ago, GreenDestiny said:

That is not true at all. Intel cpus are much faster than AMD at single threaded tasks and have been for a long time now. Look at the chart here.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

That is stock performance Intel cpus also overclock much higher for the most part.

As for Nvidia's performance far more people own Nvidia cards than AMD so that may be why there are more complaints. I don't get any stuttering on my setup but the performance in heavily populated areas is definitely bottle necking on the cpu side.

Seems I got it backwards.  That's strange, though.  Now I have no idea why AMD would be seeing better performance than Intel processors.  Unless, for whatever reason, the multi-threading is set up to work correctly with AMD processors and not Intel processors.

16 hours ago, Altros said:

Seems I got it backwards.  That's strange, though.  Now I have no idea why AMD would be seeing better performance than Intel processors.  Unless, for whatever reason, the multi-threading is set up to work correctly with AMD processors and not Intel processors.

I honestly think it is just because more people have Intel cpus so you are hearing their complaints more.

18 hours ago, Altros said:

I'm fairly sure the stutters aren't caused by the GPU but by a bottleneck at the CPU.

My fps only stutters down when surrounded by a large number of players/NPCs (the unreal engine treats processing of players the same as NPCs).  This is processed by the CPU by the Unreal Engine.  Furthermore, my fps has never stuttered down due to my GPU reaching capacity.  Max settings @ 60FPS works my GPU to 90%.  During stutters, my GPU's utilization drops down significantly, sometimes to 0%.

The client seems to spawn about 90 threads during runtime.  The number varies slightly but it typically hovers around 90.  So we know that BnS is multi-threaded.  However, when I watch my CPU's utilization, only core 0 (first core) is utilized 100%.  The rest of my cores are hardly used while running BnS.  All of my cores are unparked.

It is very likely that most people's GPUs are good enough to run max settings, this game is 4~6 years old after all.  It is also very likely that people's CPUs are good enough too.  What this looks like, to me, is a case of poorly done parallelism.  I don't know how NCSoft distributes the workload across the cores of a CPU but just looking at my utilization I'd say that 70~80% is being forced onto just 1 core.  Computers have multiple cores for a reason, and it's not to look pretty.

F̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶C̶P̶U̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶m̶i̶z̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶n̶t̶e̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶m̶i̶z̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶.̶

It is as I said. Dx9 utilizes one main core with up to two other cores as "helpers". It isn't so much how NCSoft programmed BnS to "distribute the workload", but rather that their software must work within the limitations of dx9. However, to utilize a game engine using dx10 or dx11 would disallow folks using older (i.e. not as powerful) hardware from getting even relatively playable fps. Newer versions of direct x require much larger amounts of cpu overhead.

As far as the Nvidia vs. AMD gpu question (assuming BnS can utilize it):

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/mantle

This may be why we hear nary a peep out of folks using newer AMD cards.

Archived