Forums

Started BnS with Kung Fu Master Trouble

So I sorta started Blade and Soul with a Kung Fu Master, I understood that it was for experts reading about it and the game saying so. But I chose it anyway because I couldn't help myself from how awesome it looked. And so as i'm progressing through the game I started playing PvP, but I noticed that my friends had gained some awseome new skills, while mine sort of remained the same.. I'm sure their are new skills to get but this beside the point. I'm starting to find it really hard to play as the Kung Fu Master in PvP. So far not too much trouble in PvE, but my question is will it get really hard to play as a Kung Fu Master in PvE? I already understand that it's definitely going to be EXTREMELY hard for me in PvP since I am new and will probably take me a long long time. But I just want to know if it will end up becoming too hard for me in PvE with a Kung Fu Master? Because I do enjoy using him in it. Will I have to have very precise timing and perfect hits as you do in PvP? Or not? Or was choosing it as a first class a mistake? Or am I judging this all too early? Sorry for it being so long and a lot of questions, still new and all. 

My Kung Fu Master is lvl 22 so I might be judging a little early but I just sorta wanna know before I go too far.

Thanks in advance!

So far not too much trouble in PvE, but my question is will it get really hard to play as a Kung Fu Master in PvE?
===
In a way, especially for the things that are meant to be hard in PvE, the KFM is no worse or better off than anyone else. The difference is best explained with the picture of different learning curves:
All classes start out with easy.
As the content gets more challenging, for most classes you continue to learn at a steady pace and keep up with the challenge.
As KFM, you start out easy, but then comes a phase where you need to learn a lot to make sense of things, so you will feel as if you drop behind. But once you have learned most of your skills and how the games and dungeons work, KFM will again be on par with other "easier" classes.
Only difference that stays is that KFM are good at tanking, which is inherently more difficult than just dealing damage. So if you are in groups that expect you to tank, you have more challenge than let's say a warlock. ;)

Because I do enjoy using him in it. Will I have to have very precise timing and perfect hits as you do in PvP?  Or not?
===
Timing and perfect hits do come into it, although you have some leeway. For example your Q and E skills give you a full second to dodge-resist things, which is much easier than the perfect timing e.g. a blademaster needs. So in a way you have it easier even. But you can do more fancy stuff with precision timing, no doubt about it. Searing Palm (pressure point) will also need some getting used to, but it's not crazily difficult.

Or was choosing it as a first class a mistake?
===
KFM was also my first class and I never regretted it. Arguably players that chose it as first class might even make the best KFMs, because they are the ones most in love with the class. ^_^#
No hurt in trying out other classes though, even for longer times. You will find that for PvP, it helps a lot to have "seen the other side".

Or am I judging this all too early?
===
Probably too early to make an informed decision, but not too early to start thinking about it. Since you described your attraction to the class, I hope you stick with it and dig into it! I never regretted picking the class for my main character! :3

23 hours ago, Mariotails said:

So I sorta started Blade and Soul with a Kung Fu Master.. My Kung Fu Master is lvl 22 so I might be judging a little early but I just sorta wanna know before I go too far.

Thanks in advance!

KFM Hard in PVE?

Short answer: YES.

Why: Melee is always harder to play then Range especailly in BnS. Most fights Range will stand around going pew pew without caring about mechanics at all. As a KFM you will be up close and personal while avoiding cleaves, PBAoE, AoE, standard attacks, etc. You'll have your hands full even if you are not looking to Tank. This is for all Melee classes.

Precise Timing and Perfect Hits?

Short answer: YES

Why: Unlike other classes, KFM's main damage comes from very long combo cycle called Searing Palm. It's a *cricket* to keep up the rotation as a veteran KFM, its a f—king nightmare as a new KFM. Also, as mentioned above, you need to move out of a lot of stuff happening, so using your iframe skills is important to keep up DPS. As red aoe (unblockable) show up, most people run to avoid, as a KFM you time it and iframe through it and continue attacking. It takes practice and skill.

First Class A Mistake?

Short answer: Depends on you.

Why: Are you looking to push out insane DPS with minimal effort? If so, go play a Force Master or Summoner. They have insane DPS and require little to no skill to play. NCSoft wasn't lying when they said the Sin and KFM are expert. They really do require significantly more skill to play. Is that a mistake on your part? IDK. My main / first was a KFM. I'm an endgame main tank. Love it. But you won't be watching TV and playing a KFM at the same time.

Judging Too Early?

Short answer: Probably

Why: The KFM doesn't really come into its own until level 45 when Searing Palm becomes available. Searing Palm dramactically changes how you play a KFM. Does that mean you should quit and start again? That's totally up to you and what you're looking for. Again, easy classes to hit high DPS are Force Master and Summoner. 

Make no mistake, KFM are significantly harder to play than every class except for Assassins which are expert ranked as well. KFMs take a lot of effort to push out high numbers and a crazy amount of effort to PVP in higher ranks. You won't see a lot of endgame KFMs, but those you do meet tend to love them. Like myself.

@Sprinkles I totally agree with everything that has been outline here. It was such a pleasure to read your analysis. 

You will also notice that in most dungeon runs, you will find that the range specs are the ones that are rushing through everything because as noted they pull massive DPS, this is why I also believe that having a DPS meter is a bad idea, its just going to create a culture of i can pull more than you. I am not sure why this game actually has a tank concept, as honestly i don't see how it is working (you can roll into a dungeon with all range and no KFM or BM and still finish it). As a tank you are trying to ensure that the boss is on you while working through all of its mechanics, but when you have range that is pulling that attention away from you especially when you are trying to time its next mechanic, its just throws things out. I enjoy tanking and have done so in many MMOs (very successfully) but the concept does not really work under these settings. I have played both specs and i agree with Spinkles again, melee is more rewarding than range as you are in the heat of it all. It becomes even more rewarding when you bring a mob down without taking a hit. 

Thank you

I can say most classes starts of quite confusing, most of the classes playstyle is very different, and it takes time to master it. You will maybe have the same hard time with having another class and master it. I promise you'll be a strong KFM if you keep playing him. And KFM is strong at later.

I'm a blade dancer main and I started up also not liking the character. But once I figured out of how to play him and how the playstyle is. I really like it alot. All classes is very fun to play, but maybe not all classes, I personally think ranged classes is very boring because you will have a hard time once the enemy is near you. Plus if you play the campaign quest and have to kill + pick up their items, it takes alot of time picking up the items. =.=

If you put alot of effort on playing KFM. You'll be a splendid KFM player.

I'm not gonna write more because I know people are sometime lazy to read it all. =P

Archived