Is This Right? (Game Performance [AMD])

Please, can somebody help? I've been trying to find a solution for over 3 weeks now.

I'm on AMD Radeon R7 200 Series. In Blade and Soul on low settings I'm getting stable 20 FPS in most areas which would also jump down to 10 sometimes, and on rare occasions I'll hit 50  fps in solo instances, and usually I'll drop to 3-11 FPS in crowded areas, EVEN with characters hidden. I've tried so many different things and nothing seems to improve it, even after following reddit topics about AMD optimization with Blade and Soul specifically and I need to know if this is right. 

I'm monitoring my performance with Afterburner and I've noticed that my GPU usage is 99% ... is that normal? here's a screenie of what I mean... 

k9Yu5c1.png

In-game:

jWtjB8f.png

My PC specs:

EKuWyCs.png

I don't even know what to change with overclocking and things like that... I'm really a newb when it comes to overclocking and technical things like this in general, because on other games, I've casually started them up and it would be fine... 

-----

This is why I need help. My game hits 1 FPS and freezes on Misty Woods & Soulstone Plains bosses.

mmeD5c0.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What settings are you usings in the game display tab? Try: go to advanced graphics settings tab and Click auto in bottom left, confirm it then ensure "apply to all" is unticked,  tick "Optimize for combat" then confirm. This will help with GPU load but your CPU will limit you heavily in this game, hide players whenever possible.

51 minutes ago, Tupac Shakur said:

Please, can somebody help? I've been trying to find a solution for over 3 weeks now.

I'm on AMD Radeon R7 200 Series. In Blade and Soul on low settings I'm getting stable 20 FPS in most areas which would also jump down to 10 sometimes, and on rare occasions I'll hit 50  fps in solo instances, and usually I'll drop to 3-11 FPS in crowded areas, EVEN with characters hidden. I've tried so many different things and nothing seems to improve it, even after following reddit topics about AMD optimization with Blade and Soul specifically and I need to know if this is right. 

Hey, I'm not sure how to help you, but I'm actually envious that you got your GPU to work like that.

Meanwhile, here's mine (open in new tab for zoom):

SOdEyFj.jpg

0% gpu usage, 60 fps, and GPU going hectically between 0 and 100 all the time. CPU usage is constant one-core-maxed-out 25%.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

What settings are you usings in the game display tab? Try: go to advanced graphics settings tab and Click auto in bottom left, confirm it then ensure "apply to all" is unticked,  tick "Optimize for combat" then confirm. This will help with GPU load but your CPU will limit you heavily in this game, hide players whenever possible.

Hi. The problem is, even with Optimized for Combat, Texture: 1, Character visibility: 1, Terrain Visibility: 1, characters hidden and a really low display resolution (like 720 x 480) my FPS doesn't move at all really. It's still jumping around 15-20-35, and usually hovers around 20. 

My current settings at around 20 FPS:

iBGhMxo.png

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Hey, I'm not sure how to help you, but I'm actually envious that you got your GPU to work like that.

Meanwhile, here's mine (open in new tab for zoom):

SOdEyFj.jpg

0% gpu usage, 60 fps, and GPU going hectically between 0 and 100 all the time. CPU usage is constant one-core-maxed-out 25%.

Oooh I see, and envious why? because I'm completely clueless about this stuff - I'm a total newb. You're at 60 FPS even while in combat? Wow...

I'm thinking that maybe if it's not to do with my GPU/Overclocking then maybe it's something else but that's like trying to find a needle in a football field. >_< 

6 minutes ago, Tupac Shakur said:

Oooh I see, and envious why? because I'm completely clueless about this stuff - I'm a total newb. You're at 60 FPS even while in combat? Wow...

I'm thinking that maybe if it's not to do with my GPU/Overclocking then maybe it's something else but that's like trying to find a needle in a football field. >_< 

Envious because I wish the game utilized my GPU (R9 390) to 100% instead of dropping frames with more people on map. 

I'll dump some information on you, so feel free to see what's applicable to your case.

- The game is very CPU-intensive. Your CPU is going to work its hardest and going to determine most of your performance. However, due to how this game is on DX9, it cannot use more than 1 core of your cpu. So this game's performance in regards to CPU is like this:

TwRk5Vn.gif

- 100% gpu usage is normal but might suggest that your GPU is overworking itself, 80%-100% is a healthy load. A bit of a storytime, when I played Devil May Cry I noticed that my GPU is incredibly loud and hot. I checked the FPS and the reason was right there- the game didn't limit my FPS and took everything available so I was running at 650 FPS. Limiting the frame rate solved it.

I have i7-6700K cpu and R9 390 videocard, my settings are these:

4bSskX7.jpg

Running 60 FPS everywhere except crowded areas like Grand Harvest Square, where it drops to 15-30 (and crashes).

If you wanna overclock something, overclock your CPU, perhaps with your motherboard automatic tools (I don't recommend using some random software for it, especially not ASUS software)

Also, as you're using Radeon, I can recommend a tool called RadeonPro which lets you set things like vsync/frame rate control/AA/etc outside of games' settings. You could play around and see if anything helps your case. I'm currently using it to limit game's FPS to 60 (in-game limit is set to 80). But of course, use it at your own discretion and at own risk, it's not affiliated with AMD/ATI blabla yadayada.

-- P.S.

Despite what vsync should be doing, enabling vsync in game increased my performance during early stages after release. It might've been some sort of bug, not sure if it's still there, but try doing that as well - won't hurt.

27 minutes ago, Tupac Shakur said:

/snip

In that screen optimize for combat is not ticked. If you aren't willing to even try my suggestion before shooting it down....

30 minutes ago, Tupac Shakur said:

maybe it's something else

You have a very low end CPU and GPU, there's your something else.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

R7 290 is not low end at all, not for this game at least. 

R7 260? 260X either way they are low end cards. Probably half as fast as a 7970/280X which was fast 4/5 years ago

Doesn't help much anyway, engine is extremely CPU limited. 4.8GHz 3770K still drops to below 30FPS at times

4 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

R7 260? 260X either way they are low end cards. Probably half as fast as a 7970/280X which was fast 4/5 years ago

Doesn't help much anyway, engine is extremely CPU limited. 4.8GHz 3770K still drops to below 30FPS at times

did he say 260 though? :v

2 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

No, he said 290 which is an R9 series card, he has an R7

Redacted, disregard

Still, I ran the game on 7870 with same performance as R9 390, and on GTX 9800 (super old 512mb ddr3) and still had better performance than what he has.

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Redacted, disregard

Still, I ran the game on 7870 with same performance as R9 390, and on GTX 9800 (super old 512mb ddr3) and still had better performance than what he has.

CPU bottleneck.

I can guarantee that there are times that the 390 is outperforming both those cards when not limited by the engine (lobby screen perfect test), we tend to only notice when things aren't running so great though.

If you don't have a 144Hz display or don't care to run at lower Hz, then you can supersample the game using VSR to put more load on your GPU.

MSI Afterburner seems to have major trouble reporting usage on our cards btw, I see exactly the same unless running GPU heavy benchmarks.

35 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

In that screen optimize for combat is not ticked. If you aren't willing to even try my suggestion before shooting it down....

Thanks guys and Bruce, Optimize for Combat only helps slightly. With that on and everything else on super low, I still get low FPS and choppy performance in Misty Woods and especially Soulstone Plains, my FPS hits 1 and it crashes for 10-20 seconds... 

Also, full screen mode (Alt + Enter) makes my client crash if I tab out, to the point where I have to restart my computer :\ 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Chi said:

CPU bottleneck.

I can guarantee that there are times that the 390 is outperforming both those cards when not limited by the engine (lobby screen perfect test), we tend to only notice when things aren't running so great though.

If you don't have a 144Hz display or don't care to run at lower Hz, then you can supersample the game using VSR to put more load on your GPU.

I know that I'm bottlenecked on CPU. What I'm wondering about is how his GPU, which is better than my 7870 or GTX9800, seems to be pushed to the limit (possibly bottlenecked) and still having crap result.

Too many variables to say, unless you test in a solo zone at the same location looking in the same direction etc etc.

Also, full screen mode (Alt + Enter) makes my client crash if I tab out, to the point where I have to restart my computer :\ 

This has only started the last few patches, it sometimes crashes my game (but not system) too.

1 minute ago, Bruce Chi said:

Too many variables to say, unless you test in a solo zone at the same location looking in the same direction etc etc.

Just going by what OP is saying. We also used different versions of client.

@OP, what's your CPU? :v

1 minute ago, Bruce Chi said:

I don't know if that was aimed at me or not but this is the FPS I'm getting when I'm in a solo instance, staring at a wall or something (not zoomed in, character on display etc) 

As soon as I go outside, it jumps like a cricket to 30, 20, and then just... basically, very unstable. :P 

t5M9WIV.png

2 minutes ago, Tupac Shakur said:

I don't know if that was aimed at me or not but this is the FPS I'm getting when I'm in a solo instance, staring at a wall or something (not zoomed in, character on display etc) 

As soon as I go outside, it jumps like a cricket to 30, 20, and then just... basically, very unstable. :P 

t5M9WIV.png

In this scenario you are more than likely GPU limited so seeing roughly the potential FPS you would see in scenarios where you wouldn't be CPU limited.

There isn't a CPU available that could run the game at 60+ FPS constantly (we would need 12-15GHz i3/i5 for that).

Post your CPU/RAM and size of your PSU along with current crimson settings. on a r7 240 and a r7 360 i maintain 60 fps running the latest crimson beta software. 

Also see what temperatures you're getting on your CPU to make sure you're not  thermal throttling.  

@ the OP of the thread leave your card at stock voltages but go into MSI Afterburner and on the powerlimiter setting move it to the right to +20 save it restart then check it's possible if it is your GPU it is not getting enough of a power draw from your power supply, more than likely your issue is with CPU and background processes. I think you're looking in the wrong spot. GPU handles textures in Blade and Soul and CPU handles pretty much everything else

6 minutes ago, OneYouHate said:

I dip to 45 at the lowest during heavy combat. but yes i do .. Blade and Soul runs extremely well.

So your first post was deceptive (whether intentional or otherwise).

Blackwyrm/Terrors/SSP/Harvest? If you maintain min 45FPS during those scenarios (and don't play on ghosttownsville server) you need to make a thread desbribing your exact setup/settings to be able to achieve such magic, as I'm sure many would love to be able to hit those figures.

22 minutes ago, OneYouHate said:

Post your CPU/RAM and size of your PSU along with current crimson settings. on a r7 240 and a r7 360 i maintain 60 fps running the latest crimson beta software. 

Also see what temperatures you're getting on your CPU to make sure you're not  thermal throttling.  

@ the OP of the thread leave your card at stock voltages but go into MSI Afterburner and on the powerlimiter setting move it to the right to +20 save it restart then check it's possible if it is your GPU it is not getting enough of a power draw from your power supply, more than likely your issue is with CPU and background processes. I think you're looking in the wrong spot. GPU handles textures in Blade and Soul and CPU handles pretty much everything else

Thanks, as clueless as I am with technical jargen in general, that kinda makes sense so I'll give it a go. :D

Archived