Forums

People quitting and then Ranting about the game.

Balefire

21 minutes ago, Balefire said:

I hate to say this but even WoW vanilla was a joke grind wise compared to some of the games I listed. I am definitely not a fan of the grind while I am doing it anyway. But there used to be a level of pride in saying you had a level capped character in the old MMO's, because it wasn't easy to do. And there was generally only a small part of the player base that had made it to cap. There was no such thing as a race to get to cap because you were talking about months of play not hours to get there.

But that all went out the window when companies started with the F2P model. Its fast food MMO. Get it quick, get it now. Burn out and move on. The company doesnt care if you leave because they dont depend on your subscription to make money. Every new player that decides to try the game is likely to spend at least a few bucks. Thats their income. And as they did no western only development for the game, just recycled the content from their other markets they are not out any cost other than the hardware to run it on and a few people to over see it. Its all icing on the cake so to speak. 

I get that pride, I just think it's not the time for that anymore when it comes to lvling.

You can have that pride by reaching a rating others can't, beeing diamond still makes you feel good when you write in chat.

Or having gear others don't have. See and here we have a problem, the harder the gear is to obtain the better it will feel to have it. No idea how you would go and fix that really.

The content and the mechanics of the game would need to be so good, that the grind for the gear isn't that bothering. It will only feel so good if not everyone manages to get it, and to do that it has to be hard work. So in essence to change what I said, you need back the hard work in games, but have the process much more enjoyable. So hard to develop something like that :D

I really loved Wildstar, I don't understand why people hated it. It was really tough on the group, and it felt really good. Once we managed to do everything in order to be able to raid, it felt amazing. The problem was, it was hard enough for random groups to never be able to achieve the goals of those timers in the dungeons. I love Dark Souls because of that too, it just feels great, but the process is fun, it's not a boring grind. Wildstar was challenging for the group to reach these gold timelines, but challenging isn't boring grinding for hours upon hours. 

The only thing I didn't like personally was the gating of the skills behind a time wall. I belieber you needed like 6months or a year to get to your max potential? I don't like it when they block your character like that. When you see awesome skills but you can't get them for a long time. I rather work for gear or a title than a skill, I'd like that skill to be handed over to me. BnS is doing that again, you have to farm 300 days of daylies to get that book from the vendor, you can't get it in any other way as far as I know, this is not a fun design. Running the top3 dungeons every day for 3 months is simply a game of waiting, not of earning it by overcoming something.

Just put something great behind something challenging and have people grind for that. You don't have enough DPS? Alright, go grind a little for the gear. This way you also feel stronger/rewarded once you have beaten it. But putting things strictily behind a time wall of grind is simply bad. If you want something to be earned in a long time develop content which requires you to get stronger, not just content which takes ages just for the sake of taking ages. 300 daylies in 3 months to get an awesome skill, I still have to shake my head, how is that fun.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad that I saw your post before I wrote one myself. Well put.

I didn't bother reading all the posts from OP in this thread, but just on the last few. OP has mentioned grind and "things handed to you" and reaching a goal, yada yada. Even though I've played different games on different consoles for the past 2 decades, I am not an expert. But even with all of that experience, I never say I've gotten use to the grind. My tolerance level is actually lower and lower. I've played Monster Hunter series, because that's the best example of reaching the delicate balance of a sense of rewarding. You always read on rant posts complain about "RNG God strikes" or "I just can't get XXXX mats!" But you shrug it off and have a laugh.

What is worse about OP's thread is that you are even less productive than the ranters; all you've offered for everyone is to "deal with it" or "leave the game". I won't go into too much. But the thought did cross my mind when I was tag pvp, 2 of my teammates are bot/afk and 2 of opposing team are bots/afker. Not only can you not report them in arena, unless your force close the game. You are stuck until you win/lose. Am I a paid premium player? Yes. Bots became unnoticeable now? No. Measures taken to reduce scenarios like this to repeat? No.

50 minutes ago, NN13 said:

So, basically, OP wants to rant about people who rants about leaving the game. Very productive indeed.

On a more serious note - Do you realise OP that your thread is more useless than those "leaving game" threads? At least a few of them do say why they are leaving. Yours on the other hand do not provide any type of feedback what so ever. The only thing it tries to achieve is to stop others from posting what they want to and in case someone had a different opinion than yours(like me), your thread tries to tag them as morons trying to defend other morons.

Moreover, you basically want people to stop posting "leaving game" threads. But guess, what...They do not care, and rightfully so. Just as you said that people should deal with bad optimizations, you should also deal with "leaving game" threads. And if you can not, "this forum is not your place" (because you know, people having optimization problems should leave the game).

And about the other things you said - "yes, game has optimization issues and if you have a problem, then leave". That is such a productive solution, right? Then, how about NCSoft effing declares that in the first place - That this game has optimization issues and you will have to deal with it. Why would people suffer after paying for the product?

Lastly, while people who make rant threads are mostly useless(some of them being exceptions), people who make meta-rant threads are worse. Go on. Keep ranting.

@NN13

Don't bother with what that Balefire is saying..

I was saying on a post earlier that I got hacked today and that I had almost all precautions for not to get hacked and never got hacked in any game before so it might be from game servers being hacked themselves and that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case because,even LOL's servers got hacked at some point and guess what was that "Balefire"'s reply?

Quoted from "Balefire":

" I have played NCSoft MMO's since Lineage 1 was in beta testing in 1998. Not once have their servers been breached to my knowledge. As a matter of fact I read an article years ago talking about NCSofts servers having tighter security on them then most bank servers.  So once again comparing a company that actually has been hacked with one that there has never been a verified hack of (to my knowledge) isnt relevant to the conversation."

I replied with just "Whatever" because,I didn't want to really take his comment seriously..I am like "No comment"..It kinda made me laugh though. :D

Just giving you an example to what extent he is trying to defend the company yet trying to show he isn't.

Don't fight with him guys..It's not worth it.

I completely agree with @Travolta 's posts. This game is reaching a spot in which grinding hours endlessly and not seeing any progress becomes discouraging. I run 4mans with my guildmates daily and we split the drops evenly. We did 6 runs of 4man Yeti which took us roughly an hour and 10ish minutes. In that hour and 10ish minutes, we each got a total of 3 frozen darts each(13 in total). That kind of thing is absolutely ridiculous imo when you need like what? 260? darts to get from True Pirate 10 to True Breeze 10. Based on that, we would need to do a total of 80 or so 4 man Yeti runs (probably less if you get those random huge dart bundles). That is for 1 upgrade and the cost only continues to increase by huge chunks past that. 

Can you do current content with True Pirate only? Yes. Its quite easy even with Awakened Oathbreaker/True Siren to do any of our current content. BUT the issue here is that in about 3-4 weeks time, Snow Jade Palace will be released. Then Cold Storage, Floating Altar, Sundered Nexus, Infernal battlegrounds, Pirate Ship, Forest etc will be released. These dungeons will require higher gear (not the first few) to do which the majority of the playerbase will not have based on the rate of updates. I understand that they want us to be caught up to the other regions and I appreciate and enjoy that. However, lets not forget that these regions had YEARS to catch up to this content in terms of gear, not just a month or less in between each update. The gear gap is ever increasing and people feel like they are making no progress while more and more content is introduced that they are unable to see for another month or two. This doesnt feel good for anyone and so many people end up leaving. 

The OP's point on decreasing population is quite silly. We can SEE less people on each server playing. Before Silverfrost, people were on Jiwan Cerulean Faction chat 24/7 (Jiwan is Cerulean-Dominated) and this wasnt during spring break or anything. After a few days of Silverfrost, Faction chat increasingly became more and more dead to the point where now during the day, there are times where 3-5minutes before a new message pops up (to jump from a message every second during the day to that is quite a huge change). The only time faction chat picks up is during evenings when people return from work. Im completely positive that this isnt happening on only Jiwan as lower population servers are complaining about having even less people. 

Archived