Forums

Obligatory Gameguard Thread

33 minutes ago, 877567_1452550445 said:

The game runs the same for me with or w/o Gameguard. Maybe it causes slowdowns on crappy pcs but the cpu usage on a gaming computer is nothing. There was one test done where it showed Gameguard using less cpu than having Skype open while playing.

Also for those of you saying Gameguard doesn't do anything I just checked a popular cheating forum and the bypass isn't working meaning it is stopping some activity. Some people use custom launchers but those are easy to get banned for so they are stupid and risking their accounts.

The bypass mentioned afink is an old one from what I know of. Not that its stopping the obvious bots from botting anyways so theres probably a newer method already available. Problem with GG is that its indiscriminate and unpredictable. Its untrustworthy tbh. If it just stayed within the confines of the game itself and wasnt so aggressive it'd be one thing but its the fact that its so bloody intrusive and ineffective thats the problem.

Best way NC can monitor for bots is through a combination of human GM's checking out the obvious areas they hang around and server end cheat detection. Client end detection is utterly ineffective and ultimately self defeating. It actually causes more trouble for legitimate players than for stopping actual cheaters.

As for performance I'm playing for now on my Desktop which is generally a stable workhorse but not letting GG anywhere near my M18X laptop right now I'm having enough trouble trying to keep windows 10 from misbehaving on it as it is without Failguard causing any more cockups on me.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest GG is something for a Korean Internet Cafe where both the runtime enviroment is locked on a standard account and in a controlled hardware enviroment. Its useless in the west where the general enviroment is the home laptop/desktop with ADMIN rights and as such its easy for real cheaters to get around GG or disable it.

Just kinda sad that no matter how many times they polished this turd they forget its ultimately a turd and utterly useless.

Yes another one, because I am beyond frustrated. Frustrated at the developer's inaction and lack of communication on what is a huge issue for a lot of people right now.

In the time that Gameguard was inactive recently, my client ran so smoothly consistently on max video settings. I have played on and off since launch but it was during this time I fell in love with the game and began dedicating a lot of time. To have this happen now is soul destroying.

The massive FPS drop, skill lag and video/audio stutter has made most aspects of the game unplayable. I no longer can pull my weight in 4mans, tag bosses in soulstone plains, and harvest raid is beyond a joke.

I can't submit a ticket as suggested on the forums because I'm not getting error messages like some people but my computer feels archaic when it is clearly not.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 7039MB

Bots and hackers are still running rampant so the software is obviously not working. Please, please, please disable this hideous software before it destroys your playerbase.

After finding this: "NCSoft has announced that they will be dropping GameGuard from the western launch of their upcoming MMORPG, Aion. The flawed Korean anti-cheat software has been heavily criticized for employing root-kit like techniques and conflicting with many hardware configurations. The final straw is thought to have been the stability issues experienced by players during open beta and the community outcry it caused. The decision makes Aion, which recently announced over 400,000 western pre-orders, a real contender in the western MMO market."

FROM 2009. I don't see why NcSoft would add this shit back into a new game.

While I have not tested any myself, there are a least a two different workarounds I've seen on other popular bns forums that players have created which will disable gg and allow you to play without it. Will likely need to research on your own to find out if they work, but the methods are definitely out there

Also, NCSoft fails to inform the end user that Gameguard will be installed until they launch the game for the first time, which is possibly illegal due to its nature as a rootkit. By law, NCSoft must inform people that it will be installed.

I logged in today after several sessions of playing lag free, suddenly 15fps, mouse lag, excessive cpu usage and once again, my pump controller crashes - which is just perfect considering the cpu up past its ~23% usage in-game to a solid 98%.

What does this mean? GameGuard is back.

Just effin' great. NC, seriously - when are you going get rid of this trash? It doesn't work. It's NEVER worked. I'm standing in the middle of the same dozen summoner bots that have been farming Soulstone Plains for days, but now I'm watching them skip all around while I wait to crash out... Crashing your legitimate customers to make room for more bots? GG.

EDIT: Thank you so very much, friendly moderator, for consolidating the GameGuard posts into a single thread for you to close. From a PR standpoint, I can see how it would look much better at first glance when half of the front page isn't filled with locked "GameGuard Sucks" threads. I can't tell you how much we as a community appreciate your efforts. If only the developers of the software shared your work ethic, or the NC NA team your good sense to remove the unwanted.

I don't have any problems with it. My friends do. I have had to deal with this crap 3 times in one day.

One of my friends desynced during Blood Mane, to the point that the boss was dead and looted and we had moved onto the next area. After being 20+ seconds behind for a full three minutes, they were booted from the game for "unauthorized software" or whatever that message is. Besides the obvious system processes they were running nothing but BnS and steam at the time.

Second of my friends plays BM and is unable to get the timing on their skills that they need due to microstutters. It's pretty silly when the primary focus of your class is rendered unusable by a useless "anti-cheat/hack" measure.

Third of my friends just bailed out of arena because of the same microstutters. They enjoy the game and they want to play it. This doesn't happen except when gameguard is up.

GameGuard has undergone a variety of improvements regarding its detection and compatibility.

No. No it hasn't. It harms the gameplay of legitimate players while doing absolutely nothing to combat hackers.

Get rid of it. I want to be able to play with my friends without this crap ruining their gameplay, and subsequently mine.

I need this malware off my PC now. I can barely do soulstone Plains, my loading times (even with my brand new SSD) have doubled, and I can't Ani cancel properly (even as a summoner I need to Ani cancel to utilize Sunflower properly) 

I've been playing less and less since it came back. I pray they do something soon 

I uninstalled bns because of it.

I'd like to come back to bns because problems aside it's a great game but this game guard malware completely destroys the game more than it helps and if ncsoft doesn't get rid of it i expect many more players to get tired of it and just uninstall the game.

Ever since GameGuard got reinstated my FPS has tanked in huge player count areas like SSP and Harvest Square. I used to be able to run 70-80 there smoothly with Ctrl F, but ever since GG got placed back in I'm hovering in the 30 range with micro stutters every 6-10 seconds until I get away from the crowd. 

10 hours ago, Praipus said:

After finding this: "NCSoft has announced that they will be dropping GameGuard from the western launch of their upcoming MMORPG, Aion. The flawed Korean anti-cheat software has been heavily criticized for employing root-kit like techniques and conflicting with many hardware configurations. The final straw is thought to have been the stability issues experienced by players during open beta and the community outcry it caused. The decision makes Aion, which recently announced over 400,000 western pre-orders, a real contender in the western MMO market."

FROM 2009. I don't see why NcSoft would add this shit back into a new game.

....Wow. Aion is the worst MMO I've played, yet even they had enough sense to ditch Gameguard when they read how garbage it was. If something is so bad that AION of all games said no to it, that should be a sign that it should never be in anything at all.

And yes, it doesn't work. While I've had no major problems or disconnect/error garbage, I can see a slight but definite drop in performance in my game, frames dipping from 60 to 40 or lower at times, especially when loading nearby areas and such...the game just feels worse off. And the destroyer bots are still around. So, what's the point of Gameguard again? Guild Wars 2 didn't use it, Tera didn't use it, yet they both have/had almost no bots/gold sellers.

Find another way, and just get rid of it. Gameguard is garbage and doesn't work.

Playing with CONSTANT mini freezes with a 0.5 spike every 5-6 secondes since you re implemented it. The game was running absolutely PERFECTLY fine before.

It's obviously still utter garbabe although you've made "optimizations" on it. Time to take it off again and hopefully you open your eyes,

I'll start this post saying i like the game a lot ( For all those haterinos... who will say " quit bb or some like that ) 

Well, i've been playing BnS since the relase (preorder also), and i like the game mechanics in pvp and pve i wish i could play the game more than i can do at the moment but is not possible for me. I dont know if it's because GameGuard but since 3 days or so my FPS drops literaly from 60 to 7 between 2 minutes with all minimun graphics wich makes me impossible to play.

I've asked so many people about this problem and they told me its happening since GameGuard is back. Honestly i was used to be active player 5H or so per day, but now its unplayable and probably if they dont resolve it soon sadly i would quit the game because external issues. 

I wish NCSoft or some user could bring me a solution to solve that FPS drops because is kinda frustrating play a videogame with Monkey Island graphics and still FPS drops.

Thanks and hope u could understand me.

Right now your option is pretty much to do what the rest of us affected by (infected with? afflicted by?) this crap software do...

Wait a week or two for them to disable it, so we can play a week or two before they decide they've "fixed" it again.

TURN THE DAMN THING OFF NC.

Unplayable with input and fps lagg after Gameguard was re enabled without anything been fixed by the way NCSoft do some research before you add crapware on another decent game. Gameguard has never been working in any game its just a cashgrab atempt vs lazy publishers / developers that think they can save money without real living gamemasters.

Archived