Obligatory Gameguard Thread

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it appears some compatibility efforts were in fact made - I can log into the game with my AV enabled, unlike before where I could only make it to the character select screen as long as Kaspersky was enabled. Since I am unwilling to disable AV for an MMO, this meant that any time GG was enabled, I didn't play the game until it was disabled. So I will give credit and acknowledgement for that, something clearly was changed in an effort to make GG more palatable to the innocent players getting rekt by its many side effects.

Unfortunately, this means I now understand what everyone has been talking about regarding the stutters. On a set cycle, I too get the fps stutter/slowdown. Before, this was never an issue for me unless I was in an area with absolute craploads of people fighting all at once, and even then, it was just a slight framerate dip - not actual freezes and stutters. I get that they're probably re-enabling this to combat the speedhackers that are, reportedly, running wild on SS plains - but given that the other big complaint wrt SS plains content is the horrible fps and lag, this seems like a sort of rock and hard place solution - possibly catching some hackers, but at the cost of making the boss fights even more horrible (especially for melee - I've heard so many horror stories that I'm focusing on getting my FM to endgame before my beloved KFM so that she can be the faction farmer). So you end up trying to solve one player-alienating issue by increasing the other. I do feel for NCSoft here, there's no easy solution.

Also worth noting, while Kaspersky is allowing it to run now, my other security programs still complain about it. HitmanPro yells at me about GameGuard every time I turn on my PC after its start-up scan!  I note this because there are always people who say "but AV/anti-malware programs don't notice GG, so it must be safe!" - this is untrue, lol. Many do flag it and recommend its removal, and given how long GG has been around, I'd imagine they have some concrete reasoning for continuing to do so after all these years.

I also have concerns about security, even if I am personally not affected any longer - I see on reddit that some people are still needing to disable their AV/security programs to play the game, and seeing as there also seems to be an epidemic this past week-ish of hackers somehow gleaning users' username/passwords (thankfully being stopped by the PIN, but resulting in accounts getting locked because they apparently are somehow getting the actual login credentials), I do worry about implementing a program that requires people to lower their PC defenses during a time when we (the community, at least) don't know how these compromises are happening. If a keylogger or some other exploit is getting downloaded and installed via a popular BnS fansite/forum, or if people are being phished (a good AV will block suspicious/known phishing sites, or at least warn the user before they load it), if something malicious is being included in those GG bypasses/fixes that are being shared around on reddit/other forums/etc to allow people who are having trouble loading the game with this current GG build... it's really concerning to me that some players are having to disable protection to play in the midst of this issue, even moreso every time someone reports that NCSoft support encouraged them to disable their firewall/AV to get the game working.

You guys need to find a better option. I'm in the camp that if you guys are contractually obligated to only use GameGuard for your anti-hacks software, the better option is to have more actual GMs in game, monitoring high-hack-and-bot areas like arena/ss plains.

49 minutes ago, Fenimore said:

You guys need to find a better option. I'm in the camp that if you guys are contractually obligated to only use GameGuard for your anti-hacks software, the better option is to have more actual GMs in game, monitoring high-hack-and-bot areas like arena/ss plains.

I honestly think they should take the company that owns Gameguard to court.  They have sold NCSoft a sham of a program that effectively does nothing but hinder legitimate players.  Sue their ass and get the court to cancel the contract based on false advertising.

15 hours ago, Azseri said:

Something that might help, I noticed that gamemon.des taking up a massive amount of cpu resources(upwards of 80% spikes) causing fps to plummet when the game was under high load, open the task manager and right click on the process and change the priority to low and set process affinity to a single core, I'm still getting fps drops, but this has helped me somewhat as it cannot spike to stupid usage levels now, this is also only a temp change too you will need to do this every time you open the client.

Yes this helps a little if you also set client.exe to high and alt enter for true fullscreen but its not good enogh for a permanent fix Gameguard has to go for good. Just personal experiens Gameguard has never fixed hacks/bots in any game but on all games i have seen it has just cause issues for legit players. NCSoft West can just do a quick google to see for them self.

Due to me being uncomfortable with GameGuard installing itself onto my PC, I've done a Full System Factory Reset early February to remove it and ONLY install BnS whenever NCSoft has GameGuard disabled. It is to ensure that GameGuard wont install onto my PC because I am NOT comfortable with messing around with the registry/deleting files. If NCSoft is going to continue using GameGuard, then they need to provide the playerbase with a tool that removes GameGuard entirely off the PC. Otherwise, I don't have an issue with installing BnS for a week, uninstalling, rinse and repeat and ONLY doing so when GameGuard is turned off. I personally haven't had issues with GameGuard, I just don't like it. If NCSoft is going to use an Anti-Cheat software, then it needs to be one that is integrated into the client and wont install itself onto the PC. I really do enjoy BnS and have been having a blast doing the content (recently hit lvl 45 at Awakened Necropolis), but this GameGuard is pushing me away.

1 hour ago, Tyranei said:

I honestly think they should take the company that owns Gameguard to court.  They have sold NCSoft a sham of a program that effectively does nothing but hinder legitimate players.  Sue their ass and get the court to cancel the contract based on false advertising.

Of course, it's just speculation on my part, as I don't know the ins and outs of how GG agreements w/publishers work. It could also just be that GG is the cheapest option and they don't feel like paying for anything else like more GMs/trying new anti-cheats. It's like the internet version of how my little cousins come and tell me that my old school is still repairing the same exact roof leak that they were repairing when I was at that school 10 years ago... because the school always picks the cheapest contractor, it never gets fixed for good and they've probably paid way more having to get it fixed multiple times a year instead of just paying a top-tier service in the first place. Only here the leaks are speedhackers and bots and the fallout is massive fps loss/inability to play rather than slippery stairs. I'm not sure if this metaphor is getting away from me or not here... lol

But you're right, if GG does have any sort of contract preventing them from using another anti-cheat... NCSoft got screwed :P

So let me get this strait: Gameguard, the Anti-Hacking software that comes free with the game, is as incompetent as McAfree when it comes to detecting threats? Meaning that instead of getting rid of bots, hackers, and macro users, it makes the game unplayable for us legitimate players?

EPIC FAIL!

Please NCsoft deactivate this malware and never turn it on again. Thank you.

More to the point that since GameGuard is a rootkit: You can inject GameGuard itself with a virus and since it is a rootkit : Your antivirus and any scanning software you can think of is not going to detect or try to disable that virus because of the insanely exempt nature of rootkits.

blah blah blah third-party program with kernel-mode level access. . . KERNEL-MODE LEVEL ACCESS. ... KERNEL-MODE LEVEL ACCESS... Think these programs through thoroughly before releasing them to the general public. ⌐_⌐

And it isn't stopping botters, or hotkey macro makers. Why don't devs or administrators plays their own games.

Over a day later and still no word from NCsoon. Its really stupid that NC keeps relying on this stupid software.

Honestly I got to restart my computer after playing BnS if GG is active because even when the games shutdown it affects my systems performance on FFXIV -.-

1 hour ago, Raiya said:

Over a day later and still no word from NCsoon. Its really stupid that NC keeps relying on this stupid software.

Honestly I got to restart my computer after playing BnS if GG is active because even when the games shutdown it affects my systems performance on FFXIV -.-

I sort of took it being there after today's maintenance as a response.

Well Imma just bumb my old thread considering you re implemented that... Usual cycle; your game was running perfectly fine untill you activated GameGuard today again. My game now stutters like HELL with a big 0.5 sec spike every 4-5 secondes. Great.

Will you understand one day that EVEN IF GG is taking care of a FEW of the bots, it's simply not worth it considering the amount of problems it creates for your players?

With all the anti-gg threads popping up maybe we should merge em all into the "gimpguard is a useless turd and cost you money" thread instead! :P

Edit: Oh and look at that someone DID merge the topic! o_O

I was in all the betas, and GameGuard (GG) was something that didn't really bother me too much then, although after launch, especially when GG is enabled, overall performance has definitely been worse than during beta. During the beta the verbal class descriptions during character creation played just fine, after launch it stutters constantly, except during the period GG was disabled, as while it was disabled, it was playing smoothing. During beta, and while GG was disabled being in an area with a lot of other players like large open area towns such as the one in Hogshed Pastures wasn't much of a problem, although during the time GG is enabled after launch game play stutters often if I'm in, or near a crowded large open area. I've been hit with far more disconnect errors during loading screens since launch than during beta, especially if trying to use the cross server dungeon thing for a more active dungeon, as back then, it was only an infrequent minor inconvenience, after launch it has been happening a lot, but quite noticeably became less common while GG was disabled, and again became more frequent when it was enabled again.

its like a tease joke, they put gg ooOps u cannot play, then they remove GG you can play again =D, then put GG again woops  Not so fast , then they remove it again just kidding log in now XD, 

14 minutes ago, Sherlock MacDumpster said:

My thread got removed alltogheter on this subject lmfao. What a bunch of apes really.

They removed because of duplicate topics. No reason to have 10000000000 threads about 1 topic when there is already 1 active thread. Pretty self explanatory if you ask me

The funny part is, for what i see, the spammer and the bots are still in game and the only ones who have issues are legit player. 

It's like i own a restaurant and, for avoid the beggars and flower sellers problem, i start with disturbing noises surely causing trouble for almost all my regulars meantime the beggars and flower sellers or are deaf or use a nonoise earplugs. It's simply stupid because not only didn't solve the problem but it add one more.

53 minutes ago, Fluffpodz said:

I don't see any moderators addressing what's being done about the issues. It'd be great if they at least did that. At this rate it kinda feels like they just don't care.

Every time they reactivated Gameguard there have been large threads about it.  I have yet to see any NCSoft employee reply to any of those threads.  I doubt they'll respond to this one.

The game runs the same for me with or w/o Gameguard. Maybe it causes slowdowns on crappy pcs but the cpu usage on a gaming computer is nothing. There was one test done where it showed Gameguard using less cpu than having Skype open while playing.

Also for those of you saying Gameguard doesn't do anything I just checked a popular cheating forum and the bypass isn't working meaning it is stopping some activity. Some people use custom launchers but those are easy to get banned for so they are stupid and risking their accounts.

Archived