Obligatory Gameguard Thread

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, valodyjb said:

How do u disable GG?
Or are you guys talking about NCSoft actually disabling it themselves?

NC. It was off since last patch until the 4th, and my performance was fantastic since last patch... until the 4th.

Wish they'd turn this shit off already.

10 minutes ago, Rukhal said:

Never forget april 4th.

Remember, remember!
    The fourth... of April...,
    The GameGuard treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the GameGuard treason
    Should ever be forgot!

1 minute ago, AmatsuDF said:

Remember, kids, NCSoft has a legally binding contract to use GameGuard, so it will never go away for good. They disable it and get reminded to turn it back on or else.

I'd tell 'em where they can shove their damn contract but GameGuard is lagging me out so hard I can't.

8 minutes ago, AmatsuDF said:

Remember, kids, NCSoft has a legally binding contract to use GameGuard, so it will never go away for good. They disable it and get reminded to turn it back on or else.

Theyre under no such thing to actually use it. They can also terminate it if the software doesn't do what its meant to do or if its basically causing too many problems. Plenty of legal loopholes for the legal eagles to use if they so wish to.

Fact is GG is harming the game not helping it and its an obsolete tool from an obsolete time. Time to move on and use more modern less intrusive methods. Rootkits arent the answer your just begging for trouble with em.

It's honestly so stupid that GG is still in effect, they had said before the bot problem takes priority; 1. It's a DAMN shame to see that getting rid of bots because they impact your profit revenue is more important to you than having a happy and loyal playerbase 2. The botting problem is worse than it has been in some time so what exactly has Game guard done? 3. MAYBE JUST MAYBE if you guys had a legitimate anti hack program that didn't screw over your players and instead just did its job effectively you would have a larger playerbase more dedicated to the game that is willing to spread the word about it and in turn bring in more players willing to spend money on the game resulting in more profit. It's all really silly and i know a lot of players that have quit because of it, Personally i have been avoiding playing recently because it just isnt fun i cant enjoy the game with constant stuttering and fps instability that i did not have previous to GG activation, i used to play pretty much ALL night now i get on for a few arena matches and log out because i just cant play like this. 

Dear NCSoft,

Since the game guard was re-enabled, i started to experience serious lags in dungeons only. Both cross dungeons and regular ones. it is not the MS/latency. The game client is not registering any of my skills, Everything freezes.

57 minutes ago, AmatsuDF said:

Do you actually have a source for this?

4 hours ago, Raiya said:

The bots are a nuisance but they cant really do much to impact the gameplay itself because of the channels. That and the higher level ones can be banned for greater effect.

Actually, bots are apparently worse than you think. Back before launch they said something about how the servers can only handle so many concurrent users at one time, as if it goes over than number, performance is degraded. Myself, and many others that were in the betas have noted that overall performance has been worse since launch, and the biggest difference has been the legion of bots in the game now. Aside from that, there's also the faction imbalance that I'm sure we can blame on bots, since everyone needs to pick a faction to be able to progress through the story quests past Act I, Chapter 17, bots are set to do that as well. Although bots don't care which side they join, so they just fill up the losing side, so actual players can fill up the winning side, and as a result, the winning side becomes even more dominant over time, instead of the two sides balancing out.

Yes, they really need to get rid of bots, spam bots, and so on as they are a really big problem in the game. Problem is, GameGuard doesn't work, it just doesn't. Something like that can stop the laziest of cheaters, but it would only be a temporary impediment at best for those making the more robust bots/hacks/cheats/etc, and those get spread around, and used by many apparently. Think of those things put into standalone PC games that are meant to stop people from pirating them, those get defeated in about a day often enough, sometimes even less. As others keep saying, client side protection just does not work, and to make matters worse, GG is adversely affecting game performance for many, making it even less welcome. I'm guessing TERA is using some sort of server side countermeasures, as that's a game I've never seen hit by much of a botting, spamming, or other such problems, use what works, not what doesn't.

1 hour ago, AmatsuDF said:

You're saying that based on what evidence, none, right?

16 hours ago, SScarlet said:

It is a rootkit, there is no way to uninstall it.  It collects data and does weird stuff in the background just like Malware.

Rootkits are not always Malware. Malware is a malicious type of rootkit. Gameguard (even if it sucks) is not malicious.

15 hours ago, Trixle said:

You are making your assumptions based on your own and your gf's experience. Hardly a big sample size. You will find there are plenty of people with "decent" PCs that ARE having problems.

True but this whole thread is a small sample size as well. A lot of people are posting multiple times. Think of how many players are in game right now and don't have any problem.

13 hours ago, Fenkiz said:

To address like "ridiculously stupid" what other people say without having the minimum knowledge it's not the smart thing to do. Game Guard in fact is a rootkit-like software, it mean it use rootkit exploit to make his job (didn't say what i think for the result). In fact the same NC soft admit is a malware, if you visit their technical support page here https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us/articles/207195096-GameGuard-Errors they suggest to: " If the above does not resolve the issue and the error messages persist, you should verify that you have all firewall or Internet security software disabled." It seems legit the need to disable all firewall or internet security software to a non malware content.

Once again a rootkit is not always Malware.

Dear NCSoft please tell us a REASONABLE reason why u still keeping this junk of a program. it's a complete trash, making me freeze, crash, lag. wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear NCSoft, please tell us why u torment us with this trash while those ****ing bots and cheaters are still around anyway with this junk of a program around, oh i mean GAME GUARD yeah, it's that trash called Game Guard. a useless program u kept around for so long even tho it's useless as ****.

It's already uncomfortable enough with bots and cheater and u add this Game Guard?? please do at least give us some mercy and REMOVE game guard! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please many thanks if u just remove game guard, it's useless, trash, 100% legit and proven by world's game authority in PBB.

Crashed many times on Bosses while game guard around while i play smooth and nice w/o it. frustating indeed.

and to the dude right above me (lazy to quote). many ppls are indeed in game but a lot ppls still got lag, crash, having a hard time just to log in to game etc. and just bear with it till some miracle happen-- that is when ncsoft decide to give us some mercy again and remove this trash, oh i mean GAME GUARD just like they did some time ago and give us a smooth and nice gameplay. oh at least that's what i experienced.

1 hour ago, 877567_1452550445 said:

Rootkits are not always Malware. Malware is a malicious type of rootkit. Gameguard (even if it sucks) is not malicious.

True but this whole thread is a small sample size as well. A lot of people are posting multiple times. Think of how many players are in game right now and don't have any problem.

For the fact " Think of how many players are in game right now and don't have any problem " can you give me a precise number? because is it true people are posting in this topic multiple times but it is already true not all the people having problem are posting (personally know some who have issues but didn't post on the forum) and some other just left the game without wrote a word too.

You can call it the way you like call it badware (and the INCA can call it legitimate rootkit just for convenience) but didn't change the substance of a Game Guard to create a damage  on a system. Maybe you (and the INCA) didn't like the malware definition but isn't stupid think and address it in that way because in fact Game Guard cause harm and vulnerability on a system (and i'm not sure how much of this is unintentional).

Really i didn't know why you need to defend GG this much. Where i come from it is said to think the worst is a sin, but very often one guesses

EDIT: Just for add it one more time the people who are in game and playing it without problem, can continue playing and do not have any problem with GG deactivated, while those having problems can't play with GG active.

The game is running better than ever for me this week. I'm not sure why because there wasn't an update and I didn't change anything on my system. Gameguard makes the game take a second or two longer to load on my SSD but apart from the icon I wouldn't even know it's running.

2 hours ago, 877567_1452550445 said:

Typically only a small percentage of players ever go to the forums much, if at all, and even less will post on them, so if a thread has gained this much activity, with quite a number of different people, that says something. One thing about games on PCs is that there's a near infinite number of possible configurations, what works for one person, may not work for another due to such differences as all sorts of things could conflict with whatever. Aside from that, a number of the people telling others to upgrade, or that everything is fine are apparently sporting rigs well in excess of the recommended specs for the game (ex: not everyone is going to use SSDs), a game could be horribly optimized, and have other things limiting its performance, but if you throw a strong enough rig at it, it'll run well, that doesn't mean everything is fine, and dandy though. If you like playing a game with a small human population, then I guess lots of people leaving due to poor performance would be a good thing to you, but most want there to be a strong human player population, as much of the game requires that.

you again? are you a GG employee? ok were happy if you dont have GG issues but a great % we have rootkit-malware-virus doesnt matter GG wont let us play can you understand this?

Rootkits arent trusted period regardless of wether its malicious or not. Bout the only exception might be the antivirus drivers but thats it. The whole sony rootkit scandal years ago basically put everyone on guard whenever the subject comes up.

As for the amount of people here theres plenty here like myself who are certainly vocal about it but for obvious reasons like the fact that for alot of posters the rootkit actually is detrimental to game performance. My machine isnt affected much but even I've noticed a few bugs (clipping and rubberbanding in places i shouldnt be) while playing that werent there when GG was off. I didnt even start investing money in the game until after NC had the cop on to disable GG the 1st time.

You might say a rootkit is not malware but if a rootkit affects system stability or requires you to disable your bloody antivirus (which is bloody bananas and hypocritical when you consider the bloody jump in account jackings lately) to play the game that by definition IS malicious.

As its been stated over and over: GG doesnt do jack shit except interfere with legitimate players. For crying out loud all it takes is one DLL file ONE FILE to disable it and the botters just go on botting and cheating and whatever. It protects nothing because its client based and the same hackers who cheat can certainly reverse engineer workarounds or bypasses in many cases within Hours utterly negating its reason to exist.

Id rather play the game on my bloody laptop atm but i actually had an OS failure shortly after installing gameguard on it and had to reinstall the whole bloody thing and make a image copy of the OS to roll back on. I strongly suspect GG being reponsible because even when the game is terminated and the processes seemingly unloaded if I fired up another game like FFXIV i'd see noticable FPS drops and instablity until i restarted the system. Its because of that I dont trust it.

• NCSOFT

Thank you for all your feedback on GameGuard. We will still continue to make adjustments to it so it is better optimized and ultimately, works better with our game and your systems. This will be a process in the making and GameGuard compatibility will not improve overnight.

As for GameGuard capabilities, it isn't the solve-all-be-all solutions to hackers and bots, but it does play a role in identify them. With the recent activation, GameGuard provided us with a fair amount of actionable data against bots and hackers. We understand having GG issues is extremely frustrating and we will continue to work with GG to reduce its impact on our affected legitimate players.

10 minutes ago, Hime said:

Thank you for all your feedback on GameGuard. We will still continue to make adjustments to it so it is better optimized and ultimately, works better with our game and your systems. This will be a process in the making and GameGuard compatibility will not improve overnight.

As for GameGuard capabilities, it isn't the solve-all-be-all solutions to hackers and bots, but it does play a role in identify them. With the recent activation, GameGuard provided us with a fair amount of actionable data against bots and hackers. We understand having GG issues is extremely frustrating and we will continue to work with GG to reduce its impact on our affected legitimate players.

OK you didn't listen to your users, now i can leave the game and submit a ticket to have a refound of my premium membership (i renewed when GG was off and i didn't want a third part rootkit installed on my PC without an EULA too) . I'm really sorry i like the game but i can't lost my time with a company who treats his users like trash.

I really really can't understand why make your customers angry, what you (NCsoft) gain from this? AION didn't teach you anything?

9 minutes ago, Hime said:

Hime to be honest the problem here is stability for people which GG is NOTORIOUS for interfering with. Noone trusts it. I dont trust it. What annoys everyone here is that it was removed twice and left off for weeks and people were able to play fine. The most IRONIC thing of all here is the amount of bots actually spiked AFTER GG was reimplimented not before. The minute it was reimplimented was when all the problems began again and continue to do so.

Just shut it off and use a server end detection method its been said over and over that client based detections are easily defeated and do nothing to help. These cheap programs might provide you with data but all its doing for your players is providing them a reason to either quit or hit you with chargebacks in the long term. Data isnt much use if its costing you financially and reputationally.

Please compensate.

59 minutes ago, Hime said:

You really don't care, Game guard isn't doing anything, yet you would rather keep it on and ruin your playerbase over disabling it for a while or something. This is absolutely terrible customer service, the game is hardly playable right now and you are just telling us hold on while our premium time ticks away. This is bull.

Keep disconnecting for every 2,3mins after log in.

Strongly assuming gg is cause.

It was no issue until today but I dunno...

I just bought white night and lemme show off in game please.XD

ps: And White night isn't stampable.

NC please fix this

PS2 : It was clashing with Pingzapper.

Archived