BnS Guide to Fix Lag and FPS Problems

Preciousss

FPS Problems:

FPS is one problem that every gamer has faced in Blade and Soul at least once. When you face FPS drop, your character will be unresponsive to your commands, and the graphics will be choppy and grainy. In a fast-paced hack-n-slash action game like Blade and Soul, reduced FPS can kill all the fun and excitement.

What Causes FPS Drop?

Your game faces FPS drops for two main reasons - either your RAM and graphics card are working inefficiently or you are facing server lag. Whenever you run BnS, essential graphics and game data is transferred to your RAM and GPU where it is temporarily stored for the game to access. If your RAM is choked, the data transfer will be slow and this will lead to FPS drops in BnS.

Some quick fixes!

With a little bit of troubleshooting, you can solve FPS drops in BnS. Here are a few tips:

·         Check your RAM and GPU

·         Update graphics drivers

·         Close unnecessary background applications using task manager

·         Set affinity for BnS

=======================================

Lag Problems:

There are many aspects that you have to keep in mind if you are facing Lag in BnS.

First things first, one of the major reasons why many players in Blade and Soul have lag problems is due to a network issue at their end. Many players play the game leaving behind several applications running in the background. While this also affects the performance of the computer, some applications leech onto your bandwidth, leaving very little for the game. Streaming videos, torrents and automatic updates are just a few of these mischiefs. Be sure to shut down any software that you might think are running in the background. It is also important to note that Windows Update are also a pain in the ass and should be turned off first thing in the morning. Windows 10 users however, might have trouble doing that and depending on the demand I probably will be giving you a separate guide on how you can turn of the updates for Windows 10. One more thing. If you are using a wireless connection, switch over to a wired one ASAP. Trust ME this seriously helps A LOT!!!!

Secondly, your ISP can at times also cause trouble since you are not the only one on their network (Unless you are Bill Gates that is). You see data travels through the same route from your computer to the ISP as hundreds/ thousands of others on the network. This causes traffic congestion (unavoidable) at the ISP side. Next the ISP sends this data over the internet through the route it determines feasible. However, there are several others in the line and that causes your game data to be delayed and you eventually face lag (solvable).

The reason why I call this solvable is because, Ping boosters can help game data to travel through a dedicate route that prevents data congestion and create sort of a FREE HIGHWAY for your game data to travel. Furthermore, they also help in decreasing the number of hops that game data takes from your computer to the game server. And this greatly tends to reduce lag in online games

As for Blade and Soul, since the game is new, the number of servers deployed by the developers is relatively less and based over the number of players the game already has it is kinda difficult to perfectly route each and every one of them (distance plays an important factor).

Below I am recommending some ping booster that you can try. Many are already using ping boosters to solve such problems and it has helped them out a lot:

Ping Zapper

Kill Ping

MudFish

Battleping

You can try any that you like and check the results. I suggest you to try each of them and see which works for you the best. I hope this brief guide will help in solving the problems many Blade and Soul players are already facing. I will also be updating this on regular basis to keep you on point with all the things that will help you out in future as well. Hit me up if you think I've missed something. 

Good luck fellow!

Thanks for the guide but I am also facing a problem which I am sharing here.

here are my system specs

Processor corei5 

Motherboard ASUS

16gb RAM

Card R9 290

Now this card can give a decent amount of FPS but I still get spikes and delays when ever I play BNS. I tried everything like uninstalling the drivers and updating the latest one. Still dont know why this happens.

waiting for answer soon :)

FPS stuttering is back right after gameguard is back. How will you fix it? My i5 6600k, gtx 960, 16gb ddr4 ram PC was giving stable 120 fps. Starting yesterday gameguard implementation I am at 56 fps, which stutters to 45 fps every 5 seconds. Win 8.1.

I believe the fps drop can be there for many reasons. Even in more popular games there's always players who deal with them. In BNS however there is a huge part of the players who is dealing with poor performance in systems that are considered an "overkill" for the game. If you see the recommended requirements to run the game it's pretty ridiculous, almost anyone should be able to run it decently.

As for me, I have tried many things to solve the problem and nothing worked well. My next attempt is going to be the installation of the game on Windows 7. Currently im running 8.1 pro and I suspect that the OS might be the culprit in my case. I've read already on other forums that the game is more compatible with win7 and the performance is much smoother. So I'll just make a small partition on my ssd (even label it "BnS") and install only the game there and nothing else. See what happens.. ugh

I have tried everything in order to solve the FPS Drop problem still no changes. When I login the FPS is around 50-60 but after 10 seconds in game it just drops to 10-15. I recently re-installed windows 10, at the moment I have 3 or 4 programs installed and one of them is BnS. Hardware is more than capable of running the game so I really don't get it. It's pissing me off !

14 hours ago, Zimbo said:

I have tried everything in order to solve the FPS Drop problem still no changes. When I login the FPS is around 50-60 but after 10 seconds in game it just drops to 10-15. I recently re-installed windows 10, at the moment I have 3 or 4 programs installed and one of them is BnS. Hardware is more than capable of running the game so I really don't get it. It's pissing me off !

I think it is because of WIn 10

• 2 weeks later...

lol A for effort, those apps only provide a stable/alternative connection, but not something everyone or everyone having issues needs. In most cases it will increase ping. most all the of those type services explain it in detail, but you gotta read the fine print. 3rd world countries with poor Internet will benefit from spending the additional money, but the countries with stable high speed  Internet, you won't see any thing beneficial except using "their speed and ping testing software" 

The only way you can ideally achieve a really nice stable connection and low ping to a game's server is shop by the game. find one that is close to your home and has a relatively low hop route, and play the game.

If you're choosing to play a game that the server is located 100 light years from your home, then no matter what neat program you install and pay an additional 10 bucks a month for their service, your gaming experience will be less than enjoyable and will never BE  issue free, and that is simply a personal choice you have made due to the game and/or friends playing it  

Official way to improve fps: intel 4th gen + (5-6 gen) get Win10. I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - and that fixed all my stutters & low fps. I was wondering how my cpu with same overclock couldn't perform as it should (my clanmate has same cpu, but I would always get 2x less fps;fixed it by going to w10) + OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU. + Unpark your cores, all the other stuff you read is pretty much bull. 

@OneYouHate Let's see about that. I'm using WTFast, and my ping goes from 50 > 37 in open world. And I do have supergood net, as for PvP - pingzapper, WTFast, Battleping will fix the routing issue (So you don't have 3 sec delay on skills in arena) so looks like you're wrong. 

2 hours ago, Xogi said:

Official way to improve fps: intel 4th gen + (5-6 gen) get Win10. I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - and that fixed all my stutters & low fps. I was wondering how my cpu with same overclock couldn't perform as it should (my clanmate has same cpu, but I would always get 2x less fps;fixed it by going to w10) + OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU. + Unpark your cores, all the other stuff you read is pretty much bull. 

@OneYouHate Let's see about that. I'm using WTFast, and my ping goes from 50 > 37 in open world. And I do have supergood net, as for PvP - pingzapper, WTFast, Battleping will fix the routing issue (So you don't have 3 sec delay on skills in arena) so looks like you're wrong. 

going to windows solved ur low fps prob? im currently running a GTX 970 and cant get anything higher than 35fps

@Hooters Apparently changing my e-mail also resetted my forum profile, oddly enough. You running a GTX 970 doesn't tell me anything. Tell me if you unparked your cores on the CPU, and what OS/CPU do you have? That alone should fix most of the problems. I have 120 fps literally everywhere I go, except for SSP during Mining while killing bosses - 35-40ish fps. Grand Harvest 20-24. Dungeons 120, roaming in towns 70-120, 24man 120. 

@Xogi

If you're experiencing a 3 second delay on skills with a 50 ms ping...and it disappears when you're running under a VPN, you have something  configured wrong or needing to add an exception for some program or your game, to your firewall or antivirus... 50 ms doesn't equal 3 second skill delay. Ping 150ms and under is actually fairly playable.

I can load up my paid for high speed VPN and connect to Osaku, Japan with 150 ms according to speedtest, that doesn't negate the fact that i still have 250 ms to the server from my home network to that same IP. The VPN only gives me a much more stable connection so that  I don't get timed out and booted from server/game etc etc for a long delay or non -response. WTFast and similar programs do not magically move your computer X amount of miles closer to the destination.

@OneYouHate  I forgot to say that I play on EU. As majority of the EU population whining about the arena server is located in NA, so the ping is 230+. However, which I said earlier, WTFast fixes this routing issue. I never stated I had 150ms in arena, but without any pingbooster (to fix the routing) you will experience 3 seconds delay. 

• 3 months later...

The only real way to avoid the FPS is for them to drop Gameguard. For some reason they never will and therefore many will refuse to play their game. I have better luck on the EU server in the US. When I told them that, they said great tell your friends. That is there dedication to the US server. Gameguard is going to ruin all of there games.

What A Genius Explanation 

this is my German Friend ping for bns  and he quit cause of this he quit ping jumps high and same problem for me and getting 500ping always

well mostly 80% ppl in the game getting this problem and NC Soft Refuse to Solve it and they saying same thing to all players u have problem with ur net,

Contact ur ISP, well try asking in Faction chat u will know how many ppl suffering this problem

German_Friend_Ping.png

On 4/2/2016 at 9:44 AM, Preciousss said:

Some quick fixes!

With a little bit of troubleshooting, you can solve FPS drops in BnS. Here are a few tips:

·         Check your RAM and GPU

·         Update graphics drivers

·         Close unnecessary background applications using task manager

Set affinity for BnS

=======================================

I want to add more information in regard to these tips!

1. If playing with a low end graphics card or integrated graphics i advise playing at windowed screen and a lower resolution will help with fps. Then once is set to windowed mode alt+enter to play at full screen (You might have to do it multiple times). In my case, if i play with the option set to full screen for some reason i get less fps every single time.

2. Go to the task Manager and here you need to change 2 settings:

• Go to Details tab then choose BNSClient.exe/Right click/ Set Priority to "High". In some tutorials they will tell you to set it to Real time! DO not choose that option since the system in general will be slower, to the point that even the sound is laggy. Only set it to "High"
  • Set Affinity: YOu will see different option here and it will depend on your processor and how many cores you have. By Default you have core 0, 1, 2, 3, 4......, etc or all cores selected. Here you will have to test which one works for you. Choose either even or odds cores! Mine in specific performs better when checking even cores! 0, 2, 4.

3. This is for ultimate performance for low end settings. Now a day it is standard that you monitor resolution is set to 1920x1080p however this is the only game for some reason  changing your desktop screen resolution to something lower combined with ingame resolution you gain a sligh improvement.

For example i have a PC and a laptop core i5, 8GB ram, Windows 8.1 with Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.  I set my resolution to 1024*720, run as admin, I use WTfast as ping booster, I set affinity and priority and i usually get +60fps sometimes then it drops to 25-30 in moon water plains for example, and then sometimes i get 10-15 fps.  Without doing all of this nonsense stuff i will get a flat 15 fps and sometimes  the game will crash on me. So do all of these budu stuff to play the game at "decent" framerates.

On 4/6/2016 at 11:15 AM, Grimoir said:

I would like to add:

In options there is a checkbox to turn off notifications you get during a boss fight. This fioxed a lot of lag and freeze issues for many of my friends. Give that a try.

Big thanks for this ,helped a lot !

• 8 months later...

I also have the same issue, my computer is viable for many games on steam, etc, and can run with 60fps or above. I've been playing Blade and Soul for atleast 6 months now and have been playing it at 40-60 fps on ultra settings, but lately every time I log on to the main screen I get above 60 fps but when I get in game it drops to 1-13 fps, which NEVER happens. I can understand the frame drops here and there due to my bad cpu, but running a game such as BnS at a solid 1-13 fps is like using an old laptop with an integrated graphics card.

My specs: GTX 1060 6gb, Cpu-AMD FX 4300 QCP, 600W PS, 8GB RAM

• 1 year later...

Until NCSoft updates that old outdated engine it runs on BnS will never run smoothly. Now if you are running on Win7 with the older I-5 processor it may run a bit better. But cause of the coding in the client it's not optimized for win10 and the higher end i7 processors. But until then BnS will continue to run like it is. We all know this already.

Archived