Timezone issue - Summer time :)

1GurU9

Dear NCSoft,

it is really cool you introduced new timezone system to the game, so we can have the right time showing up in the game. Although there is something like daylight saving time, which actually occured last weekend, so it would be nice if you adapt your system to new local times -,-

20 minutes ago, OuchThatHurt said:

get a thing called a clock and or watch? my gaming keyboard has a clock on it too and so do most mobile phones =P 

I already came up with that, don't worry. Just wanted to let NCsoft know early enough. Look how long it takes to simply auto ban, all accounts namming their characters *WTSGold* or *WTBGold* . 

Besides, a clock won't let me spin the wheel just before I go out to work :( My daily routines is ruined. It is just like Dexter not killing that pesky mosquito.

• 2 months later...

This is getting beyond ridiculous. How hard can it be to change the server time ?

Before people say "use your own clock", the daily resets are based on the actual in-game clock. I used to be able to do stuff before I went to work, now I can't.

Not sure if people know this but not all countries change the clock between summer and winter. There are also debates where scientist say that the change shouldn't even be made as it causes too much stress on human body.

As for the ingame clock system. It is how it is and it is unfortunate that it affects people like that but I don't see reason for them to change the clock just so few people can do their stuff before work.

2 hours ago, Lunakitty said:

Not sure if people know this but not all countries change the clock between summer and winter. There are also debates where scientist say that the change shouldn't even be made as it causes too much stress on human body.

As for the ingame clock system. It is how it is and it is unfortunate that it affects people like that but I don't see reason for them to change the clock just so few people can do their stuff before work.

scientific studies and client clock display aside the servers for NA are in Texas, USA, where daylight settings exists. It isn't that hard to figure out to change the time on the servers one of these wednesdays to finally let people select their correct timezone to get the correct time. Then when DST changes it again, they just change the server time again. Plan ahead for any problems that may be cause for files on the server when the time changes, and schedule the inconvenience for that next wednesday after the time changes.

Every website has to do it, in NA because if they want to look like they know what they are doing and have some sort of clock on their website they take GMT for the server time and output the displayed time based on the user selected timezone. The Dev Team in Korea doesnt have to do a thing with the game, they only need to change the time on the servers in Texas.

I guess EU works the same for timezones, not sure, but someone from there can weigh in with an idea for those servers that knows better how to fix it for them if they do have DST as well.

BnS is not the first game I played that doesn't follow the US Daylight Saving Time, even their game servers operate in US.  Not every country follows the Daylight Saving Time that is used by the US government, not even every state in US follows that. Even BnS servers are in TX, USA, they are for players for all America, not just North America.  We also have players for Europe, Asia, and Oceania as well. If a game has players from a variety of countries or regions, it might be the best to use a more standard time, like GMT-6:00, as their server time to coordinate events and resets.

Can NCSoft use TX local time as server time and make players in other time zones/countries adjust accordingly? Sure, if they choose to do so, but they don't. I can understand how it could be inconvenient to some people when they don't change to DST, but some other people could be inconvenient if they do change to DST.  For those who don't play during the hours of daily reset, it probably doesn't matter at all.

3 minutes ago, Kitah said:

Go into the game and choose "Default" in the time settings rather than your official time and it will change it to your computer clock.

Thank you for the tip! Having the game-timer to be 1 hr difference with the real time confuses me to no end. :) Why don't they have the Daylight setting separately from the non DST is beyond me.

1 hour ago, TheQuibbler said:

Lol at this being a problem.. as OP said, you can pick a time zone, how *cricket*ing hard is it to pick that timezone, +-1, whatever it is.

The thing though I did pick my time zone, the MST, but it shows the 1 hr difference, and there is no tab for the MSTD, which is the MST adjusted to the Daylight savings. I don't know which time-zone will display the correct time. So, I am going to try the 'default' as Kitah suggested. Until now I did play with a watch, particulary because I want to see the seconds to make sure I am ready to iframe the Ogre in SSP.

Now, if someone could tell me how to put a timer with seconds on the screen, that would be awesome. I need to work on my UI anyway, because it right now leaves very narrow view and I am struggling. I need higher zoom-out and smaller party-bars/map. And a bigger screen!

To be honest I don't really care if the game timer is before my "going out to work time", I wrote it for laughs and it is obvious that you can change your in game clock by just taking another timezone that is before yours. I'm only pissed that even such tiny little obvious thing is left unattended for such long time.

It is just another puzzle to the overall image of non giving a damn to EU players company. It began with promises of "special costumes" for EU region (we got copy paste one), goes through putting AH and profile servers completely outside of eu and finally ends with lagging servers. Ask kr players if they can imagine a ping above 20! And we have to suffer constant lagspikes.  IF NCSoft is unable to fix such a trivial thing for so long, I have no hope for good gaming experience anytime soon.

2 hours ago, DomiSotto said:

The thing though I did pick my time zone, the MST, but it shows the 1 hr difference, and there is no tab for the MSTD, which is the MST adjusted to the Daylight savings.

I don't know which time-zone will display the correct time. 

So.. you picked your timezone... you then see, that it's an hour behind, compared to your local time... so you go to settings and pick the timezone that is +1 hour compared to yours.. that you can't figure that out yourself, just lol..

Anyway, as someone has already said, not everyone goes by daylight saving time, so fixing this for you, would cause the problem for someone else. And since it's not the world default to use daylight saving time, you people will have to keep in the shit and live with it.

Also, I've used the "base" setting since I started the game, and it's always been my local PC time.. which makes this entire problem, not exsistant. (My country uses daylight saving)

So.. you picked your timezone... you then see, that it's an hour behind, compared to your local time... so you go to settings and pick the timezone that is +1 hour compared to yours.. that you can't figure that out yourself, just lol..

I will just set it to default, so I do not have to change the timezone 2x a year. And they do not have to break it for everyone else. They can have the versions with and without the Daylight Savings. That's what I had in another game.

Just now, DomiSotto said:

I will just set it to default, so I do not have to change the timezone 2x a year. And they do not have to break it for everyone else. They can have the versions with and without the Daylight Savings. That's what I had in another game.

What do you mean?

So instead of 24 timezones, you would see 48? so you, would either pick MST or MDT?

6 minutes ago, TheQuibbler said:

What do you mean?

So instead of 24 timezones, you would see 48? so you, would either pick MST or MDT?

Yes, or an option to check/uncheck a daylight savings in effect for you. It is not something dramatic, particularly once you start marketing a game as an international MMO. But look, I am not interesting in quarreling about it. I have not known that you could use "Default" to coordinate with the computer clock that adjusts automatically. I like that, and I'll do that, and I am glad this thread popped up. It was mildly inconvenient.

Archived