Forums

P2w or not?

sasukekun21

The game isn't p2w until there are cash shop-only powerups/gear/etc.

However, the game does have an obscene amount of powercreep (gear/etc) between updates. Gold buyers/No-lifers WILL have a significant advantage over you in OWPVP and PVE.

I'm not passionate enough about this game to let that keep me from playing, though it does still bother me slightly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo,it is not that P2W till now but it has a potential to be what they call skinner strategy based game (thanks to currency exchange) where you either farm your arse up and waste considerable amount of  hours or days or weeks or months (depending on what you wanna get exactly) to get your gear up faster while if you pay real money,you can max almost all your stuff in a matter of 2-3 hours may be..

That strategy isn't the normal P2W but it has been the trend  for recent games to give you option to get all your upgrades etc completely for free but you pay in time instead dollars.

This game didn't go deep in with that strategy yet and hopefully,it won't so right now,the game is pretty fine,imo.

If prices go far higher though while currency exchange becomes favorable for gold buyers,this game might become a farm fest for F2P players and they might end up having to multiply their current invested time and effort by (insert whatever number you can guess) to be able to get any close to cashers.I hope it won't go that bad though.

Game prices are kinda reasonable till now though compared to other games I played and its still fun,imo.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, AlexOliki said:

i said its p2w and my post was deleted good job ncsoft delete my post for saying the truth. 

play for free but pay to win is it  really bad saying this to delete my post?

They delete your posts because you are on every thread spreading hate, you are a troll and it does not help any discussion...just saying

A free player could eventually get the exact same stuff as a paying player, just not as quickly.

So, it's more like "pay-to-win-faster" or "pay-to-skip-progress".

True "pay-to-win" means a player buying from the cash shop can obtain items that give them a decided advantage, and said items are not available to free players...at all...ever.

I have yet to see this with BnS.

Just now, Fuz said:

No, that's not what it means.

That's just the worst case scenario of a P2W situation.

Lol...what are you on about?

That's exactly what it means. It means someone who spends money on the game can whup up on anyone who doesn't. This game has 99 problems, but being p2w ain't one of 'em.

16 minutes ago, KrystalHazard said:

True "pay-to-win" means a player buying from the cash shop can obtain items that give them a decided advantage, and said items are not available to free players...at all...ever.

No, that's not what it means.

That's just the worst case scenario of a P2W situation.

6 minutes ago, KrystalHazard said:

"If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself." - Unknown Author

Exactly. So you better stop.

Just in case people are confused as to the definitions of these words:

pay1
/
verb

1. 1.
    give (someone) money that is due for work done, goods received, or a debt incurred.
to
to͞o,/
preposition

1. 1.
    expressing motion in the direction of (a particular location).
win
win/
verb

1. 1.
    be successful or victorious in (a contest or conflict).

Giving NCsoft your money will not move you closer to being a winner. Take two level 50's. Both have identical characters with identical stats. One spends money on the game, and one doesn't.

Is that money being spent the deciding factor in an arena duel? Does it grant the spender an advantage?

No. The person with better ping and better skills will win.

6 minutes ago, KrystalHazard said:

"Both have identical characters with identical stats." - Me

:-)

One spends money on the game, and one doesn't.  - You

$ -> ncoin -> gold -> HM skills ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Allow me to simplify things:

Casual player#1 is gearing up as they level and wearing a faction uniform.

Casual player #2 is using daddy's VISA to buy gold and spent all that gold on weapon/jewelry upgrades and countless spins on the wheel for the best shield. Gear and shield is at maximum rank in relation to their level strictly due to zero effort and Daddy's Visa.. this person is wearing the opposite faction's uniform.

Both players are the same level.

They meet in the open world.

Player #2 absolutely wrecks player #1, therefore WINNING the fight as a direct result of zero effort and alot of real money.

That's about as P2W as it get folks.

And for the record, telling player #1 "you can have all the same upgrades just by grinding" is little consolation considering they just got pwned by someone that put in ZERO effort.

55 minutes ago, Alphashado said:

Allow me to simplify things:

Casual player#1 is gearing up as they level and wearing a faction uniform.

Casual player #2 is using daddy's VISA to buy gold and spent all that gold on weapon/jewelry upgrades and countless spins on the wheel for the best shield. Gear and shield is at maximum rank in relation to their level strictly due to zero effort and Daddy's Visa.. this person is wearing the opposite faction's uniform.

Both players are the same level.

They meet in the open world.

Player #2 absolutely wrecks player #1, therefore WINNING the fight as a direct result of zero effort and alot of real money.

That's about as P2W as it get folks.

And for the record, telling player #1 "you can have all the same upgrades just by grinding" is little consolation considering they just got pwned by someone that put in ZERO effort.

If you are seasoned MMO player, you are used to this already. Happens in most MMO's

1 hour ago, Saksoy said:

If you are seasoned MMO player, you are used to this already. Happens in most MMO's

I've been playing MMO's since UO. Many moons ago and many MMOs come and gone. Sadly, this is happening more and more often as the cash store payment model slowly but surely replaces the subscription model.  And by subscription model, I mean paying a sub and having access to everything in the game, not this trash that passes for a subscription these days where the only thing it gets you is slightly less grinding time.

There are still plenty of MMOs that have successful cash shops that make plenty of coin on cosmetics and crafting only. It's when you introduce a system that allows you to buy in-game gold with a credit card, then make the vast majority of weapon and gear upgrades BoE... that you have officially crossed the line into P2W. 

This game is pay to win, in fact every game is pay to win the only matter is WHO YOU NEED TO PAY to win, you can pay for 10k GOLD, get 600 AP full gear instantly and face roll 90% people from opposite faction. Only in PVP skills is matter even though you can anyway pay for people to boots up your rank, it's even easier in 3 vs 3, indeed these kind of things make the game boring fast but it's not the matter we discuss here.

On 3/28/2016 at 9:33 PM, sasukekun21 said:

Hello...i saw some topics saying that this game is p2w but personally i don't it is but if it is can you post your opinion(serious) why this game is p2w?Ncsoft said it wont be p2w and i dont think grinding has nothing to do with it.I was premium too and only for queue anything else prem didnt help me at all.I mean my farm was the same as when i was premium.

Conventional meaning of Pay to Win:
-Spending real life money to acquire a powerful gear/advantage that can only be acquired by purchasing such. Therefore creating an advantage in doing contents especially the PVP aspect stuff.

Since OWPVP is not that much touched in here and Arena PVP has an equalized stat and gears, this meaning will not really be applicable. And much of the gears upgrades are used to do PVE, So....

BnS Players' Meaning of Pay to Win:
-Spending real life money to acquire an advantage of upgrading and progressing gears/characters by purchasing such. Therefore you invest less time and effort in doing contents especially the end game contents and the purple 4man dgns which requires a good gear to avoid enrage timers.

Pay to Progress:
-Just my personal term. Since everyone will say and I am one of those that a person who pays and a F2P person will still arrive at the same gear upgrades and the only difference is the time and effort invested, the current Business Model of BnS right now is Pay to Progress (quickly and easier).

Why?
 Since the super quick pace of releasing contents, newbies, casuals and alts are hitting a wall of progress especially the Pirate Stuff (emblem, acce, weapons). There are few close to none that are running the 24Man NSH. Hence, this mandatory gears/mats that is required to progress your character can't be obtainable in a normal pace compare to other regions who had the ample time to prep their gear before the release of expansion.

What Now? Emblems are now purchasable through cash shop. = Pay to Progress.

1 hour ago, Bumlife said:

Pay to Progress.

Pretty much this. It becomes especially apparent when they start requiring Moonwater Transformation Stones and Soulstones, in amounts that one simply cannot obtain at a reasonable pace on their own, and gating them behind Lv45 content to upgrade Lv36 Hongmoon gear. It forces grouping when there is nothing to encourage it in the first place. Progressing via your own ability becomes unreasonable and near impossible. NCSoft screwed up again. Sad thing is, this game had potential, unlike Aion or even Wildstar. But once again, they squandered it.

Its pay to dont waste time by months getting same gear as those who pay and honestly who would want farm something that some guy archieved by buying year ago for example its ridiculous i am just skipping whole pve factor cause its  just blatantly nonsense and if i get blocked from pvp arena cause i will not have hongmoon skills that other will be abusing i will leave game immedietly....

Archived