So I got hacked. Just a warning to everyone

Phyie

Before you start ranting that I went to shady websites or I reuse passwords. NO. I don't go to gold sellers especially when you can just use currency exchange, I don't share passwords not even to my husband. I have firewall and everything in my computer. I don't reuse passwords on other games I played. I even have 2-step verification on my game.

I'm just here to warn that ncsoft don't care and it's not worth using real money on this very unsecured game (been playing mmos for years and this is the first time it ever happened) since it'll end up getting hacked easily. I've seen a bunch of people got hacked without doing anything and they just "try" to resecure your account. I've asked 3 GMs about my things and they just shrugged it off. I even just wanted the fashions I bought back and not even the 100+ gold that was taken, and even that was ignored. I found it funny that even the fashions I have that were not salvageable in version of the game are gone too.

Before you say anything, I spent real money on this game, hundreds, and 1. It's my money and 2. I'm only stupid for dumping money on to this game. Never again. Sorry ncsoft you just lost a customer.

40 minutes ago, Phyie said:

Before you start ranting that I went to shady websites or I reuse passwords. NO. I don't go to gold sellers especially when you can just use currency exchange, I don't share passwords not even to my husband. I have firewall and everything in my computer. I don't reuse passwords on other games I played. I even have 2-step verification on my game.

I'm not buying what you are selling. What you are saying is that not only would someone find your email adress and guess your password of variable security, but also someone guessed your 16 letter 2-factor code. See, if you didn't have 2 factor verification your story would be believeable. But not with that piece.

So either the password and verification database of NCSoft was hacked or you have a security leak at one point or another.

There has been a lot of people that have been hacked, one of my clan members ended up getting hacked after a few weeks of him not playing and they spent 300$s so I suggest not linking your CC or anything to your account just in case.

I would like to ask if the OP uses the same password for many things? in this case your 2 step login and the game itself? it really does make me wonder how they managed to bypass that as that's very worrying in itself.

I've been hacked once before and that was on Lineage2 when it went f2p, same story as many others with not visiting dodgy websites or any gold sellers and yet it happened, you never think it will be happen to you even when you're good with what you do with your PC, but yet it happens anyway.

I kinda side to the op. The exact same thing happen to me with C9 from webzen. I had the same verification code that i never used before and a strong password (randomly generated). Yet, i got hacked and the company didn't care. Left and never looked back. Worst company ever !

If ncsoft is actually ignoring him and not giving the attention required i really should step down on buying nccoins anymore. Any company that cares about its image should do everything possible to return hacked items.... 

Here i am with my randomly generated passwords and my 2 step verification, wondering if i should re-enable google authenticator . 

Thanks op for the heads up.

op used 3rd party software. prob hack or wte. like some1 else said b4. im not buying what ur selling either. getting past 2 step verification is not easy and wouldnt be entirely ncsoft fault. plain and simple u got hacked urself. now u come to forum and try to blame nc for it. gg

1 hour ago, Tabasco said:

Is NC obligated to tell anyone if their authentication database is compromised?

It doesn't have to, read below.

2 hours ago, Phyie said:

I even have 2-step verification on my game.

The problem is the 2-step is only in game and not for the actual NCS account, therefore, hackers can just log into your NCS account and disable the in game 2-step.

9 minutes ago, AttacKat said:

The problem is the 2-step is only in game and not for the actual NCS account, therefore, hackers can just log into your NCS account and disable the in game 2-step.

To disable the 2-step verification, they would need the code on the app. If they lost their phone, they would need the original code that they used to set up the verification. I'm assuming most people don't save that code, but it is required, according to NCSoft site, to disable 2 Step Verification with a lost phone.

There has been a lot of people that have been hacked, one of my clan members ended up getting hacked after a few weeks of him not playing and they spent 300$s so I suggest not linking your CC or anything to your account just in case.

I agree on this note.  There was another thread a few weeks ago where the guy actually had his checking account cleaned out as a result of a hack from this game.  After I read that, I submitted a ticket and had my CC info removed.  There's no way to unlink your CC account information yourself.

Here's a link to the thread:

13 hours ago, Rey said:

I kinda side to the op. The exact same thing happen to me with C9 from webzen. I had the same verification code that i never used before and a strong password (randomly generated). Yet, i got hacked and the company didn't care. Left and never looked back. Worst company ever !

If ncsoft is actually ignoring him and not giving the attention required i really should step down on buying nccoins anymore. Any company that cares about its image should do everything possible to return hacked items.... 

Here i am with my randomly generated passwords and my 2 step verification, wondering if i should re-enable google authenticator . 

Thanks op for the heads up.

You should definitely use the google authenticator. It is there for a reason. If you don't use it you are at risk.

12 hours ago, AttacKat said:

They would need access to your email to bypass the website authentication from new ip address feature, which would mean the email is compromised.

The whole "It didn't happen to me so it must not be true." meme is tiresome.  I assure you, it can and often does happen even to those who don't do anything themselves to compromise their account.

I was hacked once in WoW a few years back.  Not only did I not visit any shady sites or download a keylogger of any kind; my WoW account was inactive and unsubscribed for roughly 9 months when one day I got a notice that my account was banned due to suspicious activity.

What happened is the hacker managed to brute force my password, and used a 7 day trial to reactivate my inactive account.  And used it to farm stuff.  I contacted Bliz and got my account unbanned and items recovered.  From that day on, I cranked the complexity of my password to 11 and added an authenticator.

17 hours ago, Phyie said:

I'm just here to warn that ncsoft don't care and it's not worth using real money on this very unsecured game (been playing mmos for years and this is the first time it ever happened) since it'll end up getting hacked easily. I've seen a bunch of people got hacked without doing anything and they just "try" to resecure your account. I've asked 3 GMs about my things and they just shrugged it off. I even just wanted the fashions I bought back and not even the 100+ gold that was taken, and even that was ignored. I found it funny that even the fashions I have that were not salvageable in version of the game are gone too.

Before you say anything, I spent real money on this game, hundreds, and 1. It's my money and 2. I'm only stupid for dumping money on to this game. Never again. Sorry ncsoft you just lost a customer.

Are you saying you submitted a ticket and received no help?

Yeah sure its more likely that some hacker hacked to ncsfoft servers than you got keylogger on your computer :D Top of that they need your email so they hacked to your email companys servers too.

So yeah which is more likely that someone hacked 2 diffrent companies to get one game account or you got keylogger on your computer? :D

My boyfriend's account was hacked last night, he does not use gold selling sites etc either. I believe OP when they say they were hacked at random. That part to me, is not the concerning issue. If NCSOFT is truly doing nothing to recover the account, that would be concerning. Did they not do anything when you submitted a ticket?

I had another friend that was hacked years ago in aion and the entirety of the account was recovered, items, gold and all so I find it hard to believe NCSOFT is doing "nothing" for you. Granted, it took them about a week to recover everything (account was recovered immediately, items took some time). I'm not sure I believe you that NCSOFT just blew you off. Can you post proof of this? Or did you just send in a ticket and not get a response yet?

18 hours ago, Phyie said:

Did you contact Ncsoft and ask them to help you regain your account back?  If so what was the response?  Hacking does happen in a lot of MMO's not just this one.  I would understand you being upset if Ncsoft didn't do anything to help you get your account and contents back.  But if your just mad and leaving because you got hacked and do nothing to try and get your account back then I don't really think you gave Ncsoft a chance to help rectify.

Archived