Forums

Chapter 17: The Mysterious Prayer

MMLink

I did it just fine. It's probably the hardest boss in the act so far, but mostly because of the double CC and some of his attack patterns being annoying. There's a bit of hit and run involved too, but that's because I didn't exactly realize at the time that yellow AoEs can be blocked (by Stone Shield, in Destroyer's case) while red ones can't (you resist AKA iframe these instead, if you can't get away from the area in time). Probably would've made things easier for myself if I noticed it earlier and was more liberal in my uses of Searing Strike, Fury and Ram to iframe.

I'm also built to spec into as much healing from skills as possible. I use the Smash tree that life drains (along with the Emberstomp tree that boost that life drain) and the Stone Shield tree that reduces cooldown to 30 seconds, since I value using the latter more often than the stun you can use from it. Try that and see if it helps.

I'm on that quest just now, haven't started fighting the Dark Wraith yet. I was kind of hoping that, should I die, I wouldn't have to go through the incredibly frustrating killing of hundreds of annoying little wraiths. Alas, it seems like I will have to, if I die. Yet another entirely dumb thing in this game... 

Edit: I've killed the Dark Wraith in my first try. Admittedly, I had the advantage of being ranged (Warlock), while the boss is pretty much stuck in place. It started the combat with a 360° AOE (red colored, unblockable). It covers the entire square platform (except for its corners, imagine a circle within a square). After that, I kept moving and spammed my mobile rotation. The boss throws some kind of fireball that hits in a 3m circle. This one is blockable (yellow), but I didn't worry about blocking it, since it only does about 1600 damage, which I could easily heal through leech and HP recovery with Mantra (base attack). Every now and then I used Soul Shackle to keep the boss in place, ran a few more steps to get out of the boss's line of fire, and launched a quick static combo Imprison+Instant Dragoncall+Wingstorm. 

All in all, it was nowhere near as tough as other boss-type NPCs I've fought before. It was easy to stay on range, it just took a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, for the story quests I am using an un-gemmed Glacial Weapon (107 AtkP) to make things more exciting, and I could defeat the Jiangshi on first try. But that's after lots of Mushin's tower experience and the like.

I guess what I want to convey is that it's not a matter of gear to defeat these kind of bosses - B&S's potential to improve on skill technique is amazing and lets you overcome almost all gear barriers with enough experience. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

the problem they do is not the difficulty to kill the boss but the problem is if we died we have to restart from the start of this ennuying missiion..

why  we can't restart at the boss and not on the start.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I did that quest pretty well on both my Blade Dancer (had like 420 AP) and my Summoner (370 AP). And yes it indeed might need hit and run tactic but should work. 500k is still small amount compared to what you could solo in Mushin Tower for example.

12 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

I did that quest pretty well on both my Blade Dancer (had like 420 AP) and my Summoner (370 AP). And yes it indeed might need hit and run tactic but should work. 500k is still small amount compared to what you could solo in Mushin Tower for example.

I has less health than Junghado. Plus, no freaking enrage timer to worry about, so you can take your time to stay alive and land your hits. No need to go all 'DPS race' mode on it, although it helps.

Archived