About that "not censoring the game" thing...

Aiml3ssCalam1ty

So with the Silverfrost update I got to meet this lovely "Foul Mouthed Granny" who was just a peach. We started a conversation in which she expressed her feelings regarding a particular matter and was hoping I would be paying the ******* bill for some ******** thugs that I was chatting with just prior. The only problem was that she kept saying "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" every few words and I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me, "...awesome bill for some wonderful thugs"?.......

I was under the impression that there would be "no censorship" and that the game would be "as intended" however it appears that liberties were taken again. As far as any intentions are concerned, if you wanted to censor the dialog, how about substituting the words themselves with other words instead of inserting a ******* "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" in the chat and having that high pitched, volume at 11, annoying sound play every few words. This is the first MMO I've actually enjoyed and even put a little money into, but doing stuff like this is ridiculous. I'll probably still play because it's fun to play, but I may not be putting anymore money into it for premium or extra supplies. 

My apologies if this is already posted/discussed, but I didn't see anything via search and was curious what the community thought about it. 

Censored Dialog...

To be completely candid here, I enjoyed her dialogue and character specifically BECAUSE of the bleeps. It gave me goosebumps/reminders of the hilarity of Barrett talking in FFVII. When I think of censorship that annoys me I think of the Lycandi "Professor" storyline and the outfits, and making the main character more heroic and less ambiguous in certain parts of the story. Those are harmful forms of censorship that chips away at the game to me. Besides, we've had multiple/many characters curse at various points throughout the story, so it isn't as if they're necessarily shy. (Though when I think about it, maybe the f-bomb is the only one not used so far.)

In this one case, its endearing-- especially when the setup is about kind 'ole Granny running the Inn only for your expectations to be swept from under you. If it becomes a habit outside of this character, then I'll definitely agree.

When you get to Justa Cave, one of her words actually isn't censored. She drops the F-bomb without the bleep. 

As for censoring, I find it pretty funny with the bleeps. It totally caught me off guard when I was speaking to her, since I don't look at Npc names right away. Had she been cussing the whole time without the censor, I probably wouldn't have even noticed since I have the habit of swearing and hearing swears, it doesn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Zachariasz said:

The game has to be censored, it's not like it is 18+ or anything.

No, wait...

Actually, no. It's not 18+. It's rated M in NA and PEGI 16 in EU. It was 18+ in Korea at launch but is now 15+ after changing some of the blood effects.  

And the "censorship" in this case is done purely for humor.

Granny is absolutely hilarious, the censoring is meant to be part of the joke.  I guess you just failed to grasp the humour.

Also:

20 minutes ago, Meiling said:

Granny is the only good part about the 50 content.

Archived