I Need Advice Please (PC Performance)

Hi. I would appreciate some advice or help on how I can make my game run smoother but not look bad. I don't like windowed mode, I don't like low resolution on characters. :P 

I've been getting really bad performance on Blade and Soul ever since I started playing around 5 weeks ago. Now, I hear that AMD is apparently bad, but anyway.. by bad performance, I mean that I'll always be around 7-27 FPS unless I'm in a solo instance like a cave, I'll hit 40+ sometimes 60 FPS and I'll hit 1-3 FPS on terror bosses if I don't ctrl + F to hide characters, and my game crashes for like 10+ sec. 

When I used to play World of Warcraft, I'd be on 60-105 FPS (I know this game is more demanding it seems) so I don't understand what's causing Blade and Soul to perform so badly, even on low settings which I'll include in an image;

vwjMqYm.png

I keep changing them. I usually put shadows on 1 because they drop my FPS by 10. High Quality Lighting, I've only just put that on to test something but I'll be turning that off anyway.... and [b]here are my PC specs if that's any help.[/b]

IwreMdF.png

&

MNzEPGE.png

Thanks in advance for any help ^^ 

Oh, and I must mention that my loading screens are really long compared to other people and my friend. I've never really seen anybody standing at the entrance with me after loading into a dungeon unless they are AFK...

I play on resolution 1680 x 1050 (wide) because I just dropped it from 1920 x 1080 (wide) to see if it'll make my game run smoother, but I don't know. 

I also update my drivers... and I have itunes running in the background, sometimes Skype too.

Obvious advice would be, start with updating drivers and DX.. but that may not always be the best option. Make sure to explore the internet for information about your version of drivers. Some releases may actually bring more problems than they solve. If that is the case, think about rolling back to a previous, faster version.

With that out of the way, I'd recommend lowering the texture detail. Every texture needs to be loaded into the video card's memory and processed. There's a lot of textures for each frame - and the bigger they are, the longer it takes to process. Detail level 2 or 3 still look good - and since you want to optimize for speed and not for staring at beautiful patterns in a random rock, you can easily sacrifice that detail. Also you don't need the Bloom and Depth of Field, and post-processing may be quite costly.

2 minutes ago, Sylvaen said:

Obvious advice would be, start with updating drivers and DX.. but that may not always be the best option. Make sure to explore the internet for information about your version of drivers. Some releases may actually bring more problems than they solve. If that is the case, think about rolling back to a previous, faster version.

With that out of the way, I'd recommend lowering the texture detail. Every texture needs to be loaded into the video card's memory and processed. There's a lot of textures for each frame - and the bigger they are, the longer it takes to process. Detail level 2 or 3 still look good - and since you want to optimize for speed and not for staring at beautiful patterns in a random rock, you can easily sacrifice that detail. Also you don't need the Bloom and Depth of Field, and post-processing may be quite costly.

Okay, thanks for replying and I'll have a look into that but I have to admit, I'm a noob when it comes to updating and all that stuff... but I'll look into it.

You made a good point actually, I don't need 5 on textures... not sure why I even kept it as that now that I think about it. I'll turn off Bloom and Depth of Field too. :D

Archived