Forums

How P2W is this game?

Mody bird

This entirely depends on your personal definition of P2W.

However, you cannot directly buy power with cash.

You might be able to buy things to save a bit of time, but never buy power directly.

Cash items are entirely cosmetic or convenience.

The most you will miss without premium (Aside from slightly extra exp/gold and a few small upgrade discounts) is Wardrobe Storage, which only has value if you hoard outfits.

Oh, and if you get good enough/have enough spare gold, you can sell it to other players on the currency exchange in return for hongmoon coins.

Hongmoon coins have their own tab in the cash shop, and can buy just about all cash items, aside from a few specific items and premium subscriptions.

(You can also get hongmoon coins randomly from daily quest boxes, in the form of venture tokens.)

Should be enough information for you to decide.

It's very much not.  The cash shop is mostly convenience and costumes (there are xp soups, etc but this game is hardly an xp grind.)  The one of the only 'P2W' aspects of this game could possibly be Premium mainly because it discounts ingame services but really I think playing with Premium is experiencing the game as it would possibly be as a Subscription based MMO.  You can sell gold for Hongmoon coins (much more restricted NCoin,) or buy gold for NCoin.

Buying gold with NCoin is the closest thing to true P2W in this game.  The prices at the monent, £4 gets you about... 7 gold which as a fresh 45 is great, but later in progression is a drop in the ocean.

4 hours ago, Mody bird said:

I want to play it but hate hardcore P2W games

Ok, with my post I'll make it clear that it's not pay to win.

I play since BnS launched and I am a lvl 45 BM. I have the latest upgrade on weapon (true pirate) with good gems. I have the latest upgrades on accessories (true siren) and the BiS soulshields. If I was able to reach that without paying a cent, it's not pay to win. On contrary, I was even able to sell my gold, or well you don't know, you are able to sell your gold for cash shop currency so you can actually buy stuff from cash shop. Even more, the stuff you see in cash shop is mostly cosmetics, nothing game breaking or advantage giving. The only thing paying in this game can do is make the gearing up process faster and that's all. But a lot of cry babies that probably played just one another mmorpg in their life will say that if you can get stuff faster than the others it's pay to win.

As others already said, it's not pay to win.

However, there are people that consider this game p2w and i'll try to describe why and give my personal opinion on it (so that you heard both sides).

As people already mentioned, you can exchange gold for cash currency. But that also means that there are two sides to it - obviously players are able to exchange their cash to gold ingame the same way. And since you can buy everything in game with gold, you can theoretically buy everything in game with real money. Some people consider this pay to win, but that i dont think it is for a few reasons:

- The definition of pay to win is basically that there are stronger items in the cash shop than you could achieve in the game. I'd also say that games that give you so little possibilities to earn the items that if you want them you basically have to buy them through the cash shop would cound as pay to win - for example if there was a game where you would have a hard time gaining even 1 gold, and you can only gain 10 gold per day and items are like 100 gold and you need multiple of these items to achieve anything - then i'd consider that pay to win as well. But that's not the case here.

- I dont feel like the system is unfair. In fact it's unrewarding in the other direction, see below.

- The rates for real money to gold are.. kinda nice for my perspective but horrible for people spending money lol. With exchanging 100 gold for current rates you can get about 5000 HCoin (= NCoin basically). In fact 8000 NCoin is like 100€ so jeah.. for top equip you need multiple hundred gold alone as upgrade costs, then there are hongmoon skills that go for hundreds of gold and gems that go for hundreds of gold. I dont exaggerate when i say that you'd need multiple thousand gold for the best possible equip in the current patch - and with the current rates that would mean multiple thousand €€€. So.. i personally dont mind it. I mean, sure people can potentially buy the best equip with real money but holy shit that'd be expensive and if they do i dont have a problem with it since that's the people that keep the servers running^^

- Gear has NO meaning in arena pvp. Pvp in the game is competitive. So a person with perfect gear only has an advantage in open world pvp and carries you through dungeons.

- All perfect gear is achievable in game. It takes a huge amount of effort tho, but that doesnt change if you want to buy it with real money. Either work a month ingame or a month reallife for it ^^

Path Without Spending Money:

Do quests all the way to about 44.3 or 44.5. By doing repeatable quests, grinding skeletons, or winning arenas, you could make it to 45.

Then you can do your dailies to get a nice steady gold income of about 10g/day. Sell soulstones or moonwater tears in bulk since AH listings are limited.

This income, combined with unlimited entries to instances, would allow you to gear up your character to max gear.

If you spend $15 on premium and nothing else:

Do quests all the way to 45. You can grind in places at your discretion.

Then you can do your dailies to get a nice steady gold income of about 15g/day. Sell soulstones when you're done with dailies, sell tears as you get them.

This income, combined with unlimited entries to instances, would allow you to gear up your character to max gear.

If you spend unlimited money:

Do quests all the way to 45. You can grind in paces at your discretion.

Ignore dailies and use currency exchange to buy gold from other players. 58 Moonwater stones is about 240g, and the 1300 soulstones you need is about another 160g. 400g is $350. Run instances and buy brilliant keys ($40 for the 6 you'd need). Grind Mushin's tower. Spend another $350 for your skill book, and another $350 for gems.

Then get your max get instantly and wonder what you should do in the game.

So is it p2w? Depends on you. That said, OW PVP is non-existent and when it appears it is usually the stronger classes win as opposed to the better players. Arena PVP is equalized so gear doesn't matter in there. And only a few elitist groups require max gear for instances. Most are fine with 400+ AP, which you can get in about 4-5 days.

You can buy gold with money.  

That directly translates to power due to how the gear upgrade system works and how the ability upgrade system works.   Weapon/Accessory does have an impact on world pvp and can be bought with money.  Soul shields cannot be bought money and also have an impact.  

Weapon/Accessories and Soul shields have no impact on arena pvp (1v1 or 3v3).  Abilities that can be purchased with gold can have an impact, but is heavily dependant on the class you play.

2~3 weeks of max level play will have you gear plateau with one character, without spending anything.  Everyone ends up with the same gear eventually.  Experienced players can do it in a much shorter interval.  Only arena rank and certain cosmetics have any kind of exclusivity.

Is the game p2w?  The definition isn't clearly defined and studios make a career out of making and exploiting the grey area of acceptance.  Those are the facts of cash and power in BnS, so make your own choice on putting the label on BnS.  

9 hours ago, Mody bird said:

this game is not p2w, but is clearly pay to advance faster if you don't play it like a full time job...

there is nothing in game ( progression wise) you can't have without paying.

it's a bit of p2w because of the gold exchange with cash but you don't really need it, i have maxed items playing as free user, so you can have everything without paying anything, since your dailys are enough to max your items, you just need to farm, now the real problem of this game isn't the cash  the hackers  and bots are, i don't even play arena anymore because you going to find them in 8/10 of your games

3 hours ago, Meliran said:

Do quests all the way to about 44.3 or 44.5. By doing repeatable quests, grinding skeletons, or winning arenas, you could make it to 45.

Then you can do your dailies to get a nice steady gold income of about 10g/day. Sell soulstones or moonwater tears in bulk since AH listings are limited.

Then you can do your dailies to get a nice steady gold income of about 15g/day. Sell soulstones when you're done with dailies, sell tears as you get them.

Ignore dailies and use currency exchange to buy gold from other players. 58 Moonwater stones is about 240g, and the 1300 soulstones you need is about another 160g. 400g is $350. Run instances and buy brilliant keys ($40 for the 6 you'd need). Grind Mushin's tower. Spend another $350 for your skill book, and another $350 for gems.

So is it p2w? Depends on you. That said, OW PVP is non-existent and when it appears it is usually the stronger classes win as opposed to the better players. Arena PVP is equalized so gear doesn't matter in there. And only a few elitist groups require max gear for instances. Most are fine with 400+ AP, which you can get in about 4-5 days.

you need 1500G for gems and another 450G for blackwrym claw to be considered maxed.

22 hours ago, Meliran said:

I think this one sums it up very well.

On 3/20/2016 at 10:34 PM, Mody bird said:

Real world money gets outfits, and faster purchases of minor items which are useful ie food. 

Some people complain that players selling epics in the AH and having a way to exchange cash for in game gold is P2W. But the exchange rate is *cricket* poor for cash to gold right now, and all those AH items can be gained by dungeon runs. Just like the food can all be acquired in game as well. 

Archived