Nekusama

BnS making my Hard drive disconnect and crash

Nekusama   

Now i'm not 100% if this should be reported as bug or if this is a hardware issue, but i tried playing other games and it seemed to have no issues. BnS only crashes when i enter combat, it first drops down from 80-100 fps to down to 30-20-10 fps then it crashes. I always had a stable of 60-80fps during combat. At first i thought my graphic card was dying or outdated so i deleted my driver and reinstalled it but that didn't do anything and then i found out it was actually my hard drive that was making the game crash or the game is making my hard drive crash. Then my hard drive wont appear again unless if i switch cable ports on my motherboard. Before this started happening i did a disk defragment on that hard drive and ever since it's been giving me this problem, i doubt that caused the problem though cuz if anything it should of done the opposite? I tried doing file repair in case it somehow misplaced files but the furthest it'll get is at 23% and wont progress any further... This is a frustrating problem and i'd be really happy if someone could help. Thank you~

Lurkios   

Your hard drive is dying, I'd recommend backing up your data and replacing it as soon as possible.

Nekusama   
3 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

Your hard drive is dying, I'd recommend backing up your data and replacing it as soon as possible.

Really? Even though it's less than a year old? It only disconnects when i play BnS, nothing else

Edited by Nekusama

Lurkios   
Just now, Nekusama said:

Really? Even though it's less than a year old?

Unfortunately, yes. If it's less than a year old then hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty.

You can download Crystal Disk Info from the following link to verify: http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfo

Save/extract the .zip file, run the .exe and wait a few seconds for it to generate the data. Quote me and reply here with a screenshot if you want the numbers interpreted.

Nekusama   
7 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

Unfortunately, yes. If it's less than a year old then hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty.

You can download Crystal Disk Info from the following link to verify: http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfo

Save/extract the .zip file, run the .exe and wait a few seconds for it to generate the data. Quote me and reply here with a screenshot if you want the numbers interpreted.

Ahem, so apparently it looks like both my hard drives are dying, long story short, i was unable to locate my G drive (the one i have BnS installed) so instead it scanned my C drive and gave me this b663c25fa7.png

By the way, where it says Power On Count 2133 does that mean it has 2133 hours of life left?

On the side note i tried reparing files again after having to switch ports and of course it stopped at 25% and disconnected my hard drive and gave me this error if it's any use to understanding whats going on 07e9bd4bc1.png

That would make me think the hdd got some sectors corrupted, possibly with some game files on them, if it's only 1 year old, maybe you should it send it for replacement under the warranty?

Lurkios   

The tool will scan all drives it's able to locate on the computer, if a drive isn't showing up it means that drive isn't responding at all.

What it's telling you about your C drive is that sections of it are dead. At first, the data in these sections are just written to a space reserved for the purpose and the drive starts reporting a "Caution" state, letting you know it's beginning to degrade. You've passed that point, there is no more reserved space and the bad spaces are just being avoided now (as best the computer can). This will lead to corrupted data, and eventually a completely unusable drive.

The 2133 "Power on Count" is just letting you know how many times the drive has been power cycled (turned off and back on). It has no relevancy to the life expectancy of the drive. Both of your drives should be replaced as soon as possible.

The error message you received from BnS is telling you it was unable to read a file from the drive it's installed on, the reason being that the drive is no longer responding (same reason it's not showing up in CDI).

Edited by Lurkios

TmXx   

U ever heard about http://hdd-regenerator.en.softonic.com/  hdd regenerator ?   but its pay to go if i'm good (i always torrent it from somwhere) its really works on bad hdds but its not the long time solving so u need change it soon but it can add 1 y lifetime ! I always use my hdds till they die :D

Nekusama   
9 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

The tool will scan all drives it's able to locate on the computer, if a drive isn't showing up it means that drive isn't responding at all.

What it's telling you about your C drive is that sections of it are dead. At first, the data in these sections are just written to a space reserved for the purpose and the drive starts reporting a "Caution" state, letting you know it's beginning to degrade. You've passed that point, there is no more reserved space and the bad spaces are just being avoided now (as best the computer can). This will lead to corrupted data, and eventually a completely unusable drive.

The 2133 "Power on Count" is just letting you know how many times the drive has been power cycled (turned off and back on). It has no relevancy to the life expectancy of the drive. Both of your drives should be replaced as soon as possible.

The error message you received from BnS is telling you it was unable to read a file from the drive it's installed on, the reason being that the drive is no longer responding (same reason it's not showing up in CDI).

Makes sense actually because i have the client on my C drive but the game itself is in my G drive. Perhaps if i moved over the client over the G drive it will give me some time before this happens again, because out of curiosity i switched ports again to be able to scan my G drive and it was giving me just a warning. But yes regardless i need to get them both changed. 4e6420e850.png

4 minutes ago, TmXx said:

U ever heard about http://hdd-regenerator.en.softonic.com/  hdd regenerator ?   but its pay to go if i'm good (i always torrent it from somwhere) its really works on bad hdds but its not the long time solving so u need change it soon but it can add 1 y lifetime ! I always use my hdds till they die :D

Lol that's what i was aiming for too, to squeeze every bit of juice out of it before it really done for. But it looks like i'm at that point now. XD

Lurkios   
11 minutes ago, TmXx said:

This is incorrect. That program and others similar to it are useful for recovery, not repair (save for in the case of some magnetism issues you'll rarely see on modern drives). They mark off bad sectors on the disk that may not have been found yet (this would be done automatically, eventually), then attempt to read data from the bad sectors by altering the drive speed and/or approach vector, then relocate any recovered data

This will NOT extend the life of your drive, and should not be used for any purpose other than attempting to recover data from an already failed/corrupted drive.

4 minutes ago, Nekusama said:

Makes sense actually because i have the client on my C drive but the game itself is in my G drive. Perhaps if i moved over the client over the G drive it will give me some time before this happens again, because out of curiosity i switched ports again to be able to scan my G drive and it was giving me just a warning. But yes regardless i need to get them both changed.

Indeed. The second one is telling you that it has some bad sectors it hasn't completely given up on yet - the more concerning thing there is that the drive is going offline, which may be the cause of the read errors rather than actual bad sectors.

Edited by Lurkios

Nekusama   
4 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

This is incorrect. That program and others similar to it are intended for recovery, not repair. They mark off bad sectors on the disk that may not have been found yet (this would be done automatically, eventually), then attempt to read data from the bad sectors by altering the drive speed and/or approach vector, then relocate any recovered data

This will NOT extend the life of your drive, and should not be used for any purpose other than attempting to recover data from an already failed/corrupted drive.

To be honest i think nothing will extend it's life at this point, i've been pushing it the past 6 months. xD

My plan now is hopefully i still have warranty on my G drive so i can replace both of them with it, so that would mean i have to reinstall my OS and do a crap load of back up to do. I just hope that all this effort will pay off in fixing the problem.

TmXx   
38 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

I This is incorrect. That program and others similar to it are useful for recovery, not repair (save for in the case of some magnetism issues you'll rarely see on modern drives). They mark off bad sectors on the disk that may not have been found yet (this would be done automatically, eventually), then attempt to read data from the bad sectors by altering the drive speed and/or approach vector, then relocate any recovered data

I was work for a computer shop we got lot of hdds what not even boot up but after recovery its work for years sometimes its dont work but worth a try ...

TmXx   
24 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

I'm sorry for anyone you returned a drive to that required the use of that tool.

hmmm????

Lurkios   
2 minutes ago, TmXx said:

I was work for a computer shop we got lot of hdds what not even boot up but after recovery its work for years sometimes its dont work but worth a try ...

I'm sorry for anyone you returned a drive to that required the use of that tool.

Vau   
3 hours ago, Nekusama said:

Ahem, so apparently it looks like both my hard drives are dying, long story short, i was unable to locate my G drive (the one i have BnS installed) so instead it scanned my C drive and gave me this b663c25fa7.png

By the way, where it says Power On Count 2133 does that mean it has 2133 hours of life left?

On the side note i tried reparing files again after having to switch ports and of course it stopped at 25% and disconnected my hard drive and gave me this error if it's any use to understanding whats going on 07e9bd4bc1.png

this reading does not mean the hard disk is dying or is in risk of failing, however there is increased chance of hardware failure that comes with this. 

if your relocated sectors count is continuously going up you have a problem, if its staying the same over the course of a few days your disk is fine.

BnS is horribly coded and because of its absolutly poor use of memory tends to cause "thrashing" which can make otherwise stable drives show flaws. even on a completely healthy drive the reads and writes associated with thrashing will steal CPU time from the game and wear out your equipment at a accelerated rate.

this games biggest issue is how it treats your memory and harddisk. on the hard disk front you can get a SSD, on the memory front there is not much you can do seeing there is a 4gb limit on 32bit apps. 

Edited by Vau

Nekusama   
23 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

*sigh* i just called the place where i bought my hard drive and it looks like i'm just 3 months out of warranty... Is there absolutely anything i can do about the hard drive disappearence?

Lurkios   
8 minutes ago, Nekusama said:

*sigh* i just called the place where i bought my hard drive and it looks like i'm just 3 months out of warranty... Is there absolutely anything i can do about the hard drive disappearence?

Unfortunately, not really. The drive seems to have a pretty serious hardware failure/defect of some sort, not much you can do about it that wouldn't cost more than the price of a new drive (I'd avoid SeaGate drives... Hitachi, Western Digital and Samsung are all good choices).

9 minutes ago, Vau said:

this reading does not mean the hard disk is dying or is in risk of failing, however there is increased chance of hardware failure that comes with this.

Actually, that's exactly what it means - and you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence...

Vau   
2 hours ago, Lurkios said:

Unfortunately, not really. The drive seems to have a pretty serious hardware failure/defect of some sort, not much you can do about it that wouldn't cost more than the price of a new drive (I'd avoid SeaGate drives... Hitachi, Western Digital and Samsung are all good choices).

Actually, that's exactly what it means - and you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence...

increased risk and is failing are not the same thing. 

actually no its not what it means, i recommend you read up on cystaldisks own website.  

*cricket* it i will be nice and provide a source to read up on.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/reallocated-sectors-count-should-i-be-worried.165635/

Edited by Vau

Lurkios   
Just now, Vau said:

increased risk and is failing are not the same thing. 

actually no its not what it means, i recommend you read up on cystaldisks own website.  

I'm not sure if you're ignorant or intentionally trying to cause someone to lose data - but please stop with the misinformation either way.

In case you're actually serious, I'd ask you to look up the definition of "bad" and "caution" instead.

Nekusama   

Do you think it's a good idea to move my BnS files over to my C drive? or would that make things more laggier and more likely to crash minus the the hard drives disappearance?

Also i'm appreciating everyone's reply and kind words. ^-^

I guess it basically depends on how much space you have on your drive C:, if there's enough to allow your OS and game run smoothly on it. Provided the C drive is not damaged, it should not make the game crash more and if the OS on C works properly without "losing" the disc, why should a game make it disappear? 

Nekusama   

I solved the problem without having to exchange my hard drive! :D All i literally did was reinstall the game. I guess uninstalling the game deleted the files that were in the bad sectors of the hard drive and when i reinstalled it it installed the files on the good sectors. Well that's my theory anyways. xD

I have the same problem plus the computer freezes, no other game does that and already used crystaldiskinfo and all three drives are good. Im running win 10 Pro x64 and the game and launcher are running on C: on a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD drive. pls help, tried reinstalling the game 4 times

Its nor that Harddrive is dying-_- its SATA connector dying or something wrong with it, switch to another one for tests, worked for me!!!