Forums

Will I get banned for changing the game dialogue to Japanese?

Hello peeps, was just wondering If I'm able to change the in game voices to Japanese without getting banned. I watched the Anime in japanese and I kinda got used to the voices being in japanese. Plus I don't find the english dub any good, feel like they could have done a lot better. Thanks in advance!

Every ToS has a passage where it says you will be actioned by altering game files. Placing original files from another region into the installation of another region is technically altering game files.

In Tera, you're allowed to do it. In BnS I'm quite sure they will ban you instantly. Or after announcing it on Weibo. Perhaps unban you 4-5 times only to ban you again.

And I understand what you're looking for. Because I'm playing NA Tera with japanese voices.

According to their stream and ToS, it is illegal to modify any game files

However, just on the fact that they have not commented in and let the voice replacement thread goes super long - I think they are willing to turn a blind eye to it for now.

But bottom line is - use at your own risk.

It's usually a ban worthy offense in a lot of localized games. The only game where I remember it being okay was C9 - their reasoning being changing the NA voice actors to the Kr / Jp voice actors didn't make a difference in player skill. 

Just because I have no idea, just make a ticket I wouldn't take a yes or no from anyone else here, (Unless they had proof of a ticket stating an answer from one of the support team members.)

And you'll hear back from them eventually!

NCSoft has always as a company been incredibly lenient on what they consider "bannable offense."
If you're altering the game files, or even supplementing files in place of the standard ones, then YES, you will be banned irrefutably, and here's why:
The client launcher performs a CRC check to ensure that the hash signature, and the creation date, and time match the original file that's queued from the server.  Even if you managed to get the crc to match by mimicking you'd still be running an altered client, and since NCSoft doesn't have a way to directly modify the contents of an archived file on your system to verify the legitimacy of it, added to the fact that doing that for every player that wanted to would be a pain in the as$; I'm betting on the side of certainty here that you WILL be banned if you even manage to get it working.

Now, on that note, they designed blade and soul to be "ran without mods" so any type of addon, or modification is probably frowned upon.
Gameguard itself prevents the use of even directx overlays such as Texmod, and Umod, while Sweetfx, and Realityfx work, but don't really add much of any desired effect.

Back in the days of GW1 they actually didn't care if people used Texmod, and the likes, but this time around for whatever reason it's different, and the use of Gameguard prevents it from even being able to happen.   Sure, you could disable gameguard, and import "new" textures using the aforementioned programs, but you will be banned for it once they find out you disabled gameguard.

In other words:  Do not modify your client, it's launch parameters, it's configuration (since it's encrypted) or any other element relating to the game Blade and Soul if you don't want to risk getting banned because we have yet to hear any word on any "specific" item that is "allowed" from a community manager of any sort.

Edited by Dracconus
3 hours ago, Celestine said:

There's one thing you can do: watch some really bad dubbed anime before playing ("Ayyy Emmm Seh-Lah-Mooon!"). You will now find the BnS voice acting quite acceptable.

That was a very bad example of an Anime. Sailor Moon is like dog shit anime lol

1 hour ago, Tech Martyr said:

That was a very bad example of an Anime. Sailor Moon is like dog shit anime lol

Woah, like I'm neutral with Sailor Moon, but to call it dogshit is like calling Superman and Batman dogshit,. If Japan was America, you would have been mauled in dogshit.