Ranged or get out?

Spyroxion

This is true in all MMO's.  Ranged classes can kite, which means they don't even have to learn the bosses attack patterns.  The correct approach for every encounter you solo is exactly the same, either stutter-attack away from the boss or, if abilities don't require you to stand still, simply run and shoot. 

Melee will always have to know the encounter well before they can do it effectively. 

Honestly I'm glad this game is more PvP focused; PvE in these games is always imbalanced and mechanically dumb.  In raids, aesthetically, ranged DPS is the only thing that makes sense in something like a boss encounter.  If you're fighting a dragon the assassin poking it's feet with daggers looks dumb, while the "mage" launching fireballs at it at least looks appropriate.  The only melee in front of a huge boss that doesn't look ridiculous is a shield-wielding tank. 

i had to create a FM to farm terrors and BW.

5fps melee vs 15-20 fps ranged

big aoe+ 180° fast normal attacks with big dmg non-pattern'd vs just kite the big aoes 

yeah, pve with melee is hard and non rewarding  on a "reward/effort" comparation with ranged classes.

i had to lf party every single dungeon (i was new to the game)with KFM  vs i soloed every single low level dungeon with FM

Just now, Goji said:

This is true in all MMO's.  Ranged classes can kite, which means they don't even have to learn the bosses attack patterns.  The correct approach for every encounter you solo is exactly the same, either stutter-attack away from the boss or, if abilities don't require you to stand still, simply run and shoot. 

Erm... this is so wrong... Most bosses have approach skills with CC. If you are not insanely overgeared, you'd still have to know when to freeze yourself/CC the boss/iframe an attack otherwise you risk getting 70% HP down in an instant. I seriously want to watch a vid of 300AP FM key-smashing through the 7th floor at MT without any regard to attack pattern.

It's not that simple even with 350AP. Though I do agree that there are some encounters easier for ranged classes. 

Just now, Goji said:

In raids, aesthetically, ranged DPS is the only thing that makes sense in something like a boss encounter.

Well, this really varies from person to person. I like seeing BMs tanking.

Just now, Shukran said:

i had to create a FM to farm terrors and BW.

I agree about terrors, since they are somewhat unpredictable. But a few days ago I just stood a few steps behind melees on BW and used SS to escape the roar with my FM and WL. How is that different from melees other than the tank? Just curious, no offense intended.

low fps means unresponsive commands. bw is static boss. if u die to her you need to #4 . if u have a non-optimized FM as i have (i just need it to farm not to compete endgame), you need to focus on dps more than average player. if i die more than 2-3 times, i lose the drop form BW.

3 minutes ago, Airenni said:

I agree about terrors, since they are somewhat unpredictable. But a few days ago I just stood a few steps behind melees on BW and used SS to escape the roar with my FM and WL. How is that different from melees other than the tank? Just curious, no offense intended.

Because you didn't have to stand just a few steps behind melees - you could stand further away and still deal damage, the luxury that melees don't have. And as a result of that they have to deal with other BW's skills (short range poison/stomp)

Just now, Enhance said:

Because you didn't have to stand just a few steps behind melees - you could stand further away and still deal damage, the luxury that melees don't have. And as a result of that they have to deal with other BW's skills (short range poison/stomp)

But those mentioned skills are frontal AoEs. If you stand behind BW, they do not really affect you - that is what I am curious about. Surely, if there's no tank it becomes a mess, but it becomes a mess for everyone, since BW pulls every1 around it (including ranged classes), dazes and stomps them right away. It hurts a lot on a ranged class... Also, those poison puddles everywhere... No room for ranged class to kite or w/e. 

Archived