RIP Profile Gifs

VodkaSteve

You do understand that .gifs have variable sizes that depend on the magnitude of layers used for each frame, right? You also do know that these gifs are first uploaded unto the play server, and then pulled consecutively for each profile that has them, right?

Then you also must know that when there are a lot of these huge animated sequences pulled off of the server practically every second, it creates a lot of unnecessary traffic that only hampers everyone, right?

Great! Good riddance, if anything.

1 minute ago, TheRealElvis said:

You do understand that .gifs have variable sizes that depend on the magnitude of layers used for each frame, right? You also do know that these gifs are first uploaded unto the play server, and then pulled consecutively for each profile that has them, right?

As much as I agree this is a good riddance, the gifs are not uploaded onto the "play server". Character info and marketplace are on a separate web server, the client just opens an in-game browser. And that's good, as even if it crashes or gets 100% loaded the gameplay won't be affected.

1 minute ago, Brainy said:

Meanwhile, skills that don't work are being ignored. FPS / latency issues are still there and a lot more....

But hey ! They are fixing something !

As I mentioned somewhere -  the people responsible for developing the web server and image processing that are working on it are not necessarily the same people that can work on FPS or latency or skills.

It's like seeing road workers on the road and complaining that there's a lot of accounting paperwork to be done while they're fixing roads that you don't use.

Well, this makes them look stupid.

I don't know why they have to let the minority dictate. I mean seriously, because of a few imbeciles that put up inappropriate images (and then those who complain about them is even less), the others - with nice images - have to suffer. WHY ?!

What I am trying to say is, this change wasn't needed.

7 hours ago, Airenni said:

Are you really worried about 40mb of traffic?

You have to understand, sometimes people play on a limited bandwidth connection and 40 mb is a lot of data for that. I myself play on my cellphones wifi hotspot often times. 40 mb is a ding.

8 minutes ago, Brainy said:

I don't know why they have to let the minority dictate. I mean seriously, because of a few imbeciles that put up inappropriate images (and then those who complain about them is even less), the others - with nice images - have to suffer. WHY ?!

What I am trying to say is, this change wasn't needed.

The system wasn't intended to be used that way in the first place. It's an exploit - which could be used harmlessly and in good spirit, yes - that people used both harmlessly and inappropriately.

If you want something to blame, blame their initial image upload setup not filtering out huge files (which are taking space on their servers, using up traffic, and make profiles load longer), which weren't even being confirmed to be images, and people who hopped the bandwagon and pushed the limits.

Just now, Laethiel said:

You have to understand, sometimes people play on a limited bandwidth connection and 40 mb is a lot of data for that. I myself play on my cellphones wifi hotspot often times. 40 mb is a ding.

I'll never believe that this game's playerbase mostly uses their cellphones to connect. Weird that the minority wins over the majority. Moreover, they can just restrict file sizes. It isn't that hard, right? Mine was like 180KB with some space to make it even smaller - is it such a huge traffic drain for you as well? That was the point of my initial post anyway.

Just now, Airenni said:

I'll never believe that this game's playerbase mostly uses their cellphones to connect. Weird that the minority wins over the majority. Moreover, they can just restrict file sizes. It isn't that hard, right? Mine was like 300KB with some space to make it even smaller - is it such a huge traffic drain for you as well? That was the point of my initial post anyway.

I never said "mostly" bro, I said some people do and i dont do it all the time but often i do like when i am not at home. Yes 40 mb is too big in my view. 300 kb is not a big deal at all. I agree they could restrict file sizes. So chill yourself out son. You're flooding the forum with tears.

Archived